GDT: 2014 IIHF World Championship [OP Updated]

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Love this tournament and it starts next week and there is a lot of potential players from Avs who could be going. Will update once I get home.

2014%20Championship_Board_12000x3000_Final_print_1.jpg

SCHEDULE
http://www.iihfworlds2014.com/en/games/

GROUP A
Canada
Czech Republic
Denmark
France
Italy
Norway
Slovakia
Sweden

GROUP B
Belarus
Finland
Germany
Kazakhstan
Latvia
Russia
Switzerland
USA

AVS PLAYERS
- Berra, Reta: Joining Switzerland
- Hejda, Jan: Turned Down Czech Republic's WC (Injury)
- Landeskog, Gabriel: Turned Down Sweden's WC (Injury)
- Lauridsen, Markus: Joining Denmark
- MacKinnon, Nathan: Joining Canada

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Ooh I hadn't even thought of this. Would love to see O'Reilly and Duchene go and channel their rage at the playoffs ending early into some silverware.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Yeah Duchene was a bit of a pipe dream. I don't know who we have who would want to keep playing now. O'Reilly & EJ are two I could see. Not sure about beyond that.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I was looking at the rosters and France has a really decent team this year. A lot of returning experienced players from last year (and years before) where they beat Russia.

Then their goaltending is their strongest part of the team with Huet and Hardy, one is an ex-NHLer and Hardy could easily be in the KHL/NHL.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Mac has played an awful lot of hockey in the past 2 seasons. Probably could use a bit of a rest before training in the summer.

Would give me a reason to watch though.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mac has played an awful lot of hockey in the past 2 seasons. Probably could use a bit of a rest before training in the summer.

These are the type of kids HC want to send though. HC wants these kids to get as much international experience as possible.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Belarus is not only a rather bleak former Soviet state, it's one of Europe's last dictatorships. I can't imagine it being very attractive for good NHLers. Especially seeing as we're four years from the next Olympics so less pressure for the players to be good guys not to hurt their chances.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
MacK and O'Reilly(again) for Canada, I'd imagine. Duchene shouldn't go as he isn't close to 100%.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Good point, he sure has.

I don't want any of the Avs going personally. Don't want to risk any fluke injuries. That's the last thing this team needs going into training camp next year. They should be as healthy and hungry as possible, and get out to another great start on the season. They'll need it just like every team does.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
According other topic, Landy injured

What about EJ, Stazz to USA ?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Good point, he sure has.

I don't want any of the Avs going personally. Don't want to risk any fluke injuries. That's the last thing this team needs going into training camp next year. They should be as healthy and hungry as possible, and get out to another great start on the season. They'll need it just like every team does.

I understand that line of thinking, but here's another one...

The guys' spirits are absolutely crushed right now. The season is over, unexpectedly and abruptly. An opportunity to represent your country and put this Game 7 loss behind you is always appealing. Furthermore, guys like O'Reilly/MacK are going to want to be on good ground with Hockey Canada for future selections. They won't pull a Spezza and say no despite being healthy, thus destroying their future chances of ever representing Canada.

They're young, they're energetic, they're devastated. Let them play some more hockey.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

The guys' spirits are absolutely crushed right now. The season is over, unexpectedly and abruptly. An opportunity to represent your country and put this Game 7 loss behind you is always appealing. Furthermore, guys like O'Reilly/MacK are going to want to be on good ground with Hockey Canada for future selections. They won't pull a Spezza and say no despite being healthy, thus destroying their future chances of ever representing Canada.

They're young, they're energetic, they're devastated. Let them play some more hockey.

Yea I get that, but that's almost another reason for an injury concern. If they're not 100% mentally into the games because of the tough loss they just had, that's the kind of thing that will lead to injuries.

I could see O'Reilly, and especially Nate going for just the reasons you mentioned though . It's too bad there's that pressure for players that just played a grueling playoff series. I think the expectation of them going is fine for players that missed the playoffs, but it's asking a lot to have that pressure to fly to another country and jump right into a big tournament after losing a tough playoff series, with the implication they may not take you in future tournaments if you don't.

Hopefully nothing happens, I'm just a bit more paranoid than usual with the World Championships this year. I usually hope the Avs players go, but the injuries have just piled up here at the end of the year, and it's making me nervous. For the first time in a long time, there's some legit expectations for this team going into next year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Pretty much this. We all saw O'Reily after the game Wednesday. He isn't ready to stop playing hockey yet. He's been the the worlds before and represented Canada well.
Hockey Canada wants Mackinnon there just as much as Mackinnon wants to be there so he will definitely be asked. He's the face of young Canadian hockey and i'm positive he will be a part of the WC. Hopefully both are there.
Duchene wont go. He loves playing internationally for Canada but I doubt the Avs management would even let him go after just getting back from injury. I'm sure he's smart enough to make that call on his own anyway.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
According other topic, Landy injured

What about EJ, Stazz to USA ?

I would hazard a guess Stastny's agent is doing everything he can to talk him out of going and potentially hurting his UFA status with an injury.

A good tournament won't boost his value any further, it's already about as high as possible after his regular season and playoffs.

I'd be very surprised if he went. He's done his tours in the past.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yea I get that, but that's almost another reason for an injury concern. If they're not 100% mentally into the games because of the tough loss they just had, that's the kind of thing that will lead to injuries.

I could see O'Reilly, and especially Nate going for just the reasons you mentioned though . It's too bad there's that pressure for players that just played a grueling playoff series. I think the expectation of them going is fine for players that missed the playoffs, but it's asking a lot to have that pressure to fly to another country and jump right into a big tournament after losing a tough playoff series, with the implication they may not take you in future tournaments if you don't.

Hopefully nothing happens, I'm just a bit more paranoid than usual with the World Championships this year. I usually hope the Avs players go, but the injuries have just piled up here at the end of the year, and it's making me nervous. For the first time in a long time, there's some legit expectations for this team going into next year.

You're thinking way too far into this. Healthy, young NHL stars feel privileged to represent their country at the world stage and their NHL team's want them to go for the experience. Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic, Ryan O'Reilly, Nathan Mackinnon and everybody in between definitely have no doubts in their mind that if those guys are asked to play they should be on the next flight out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad