GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy (July 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
@StapeNewsday: According to sources, #Isles were more than competitive with offers to targeted FAs: Offered 3 years to Dan Boyle, 4 years to Jarome Iginla.

What a fool. So he made an offer to a guy who already rejected him and said he would sign elsewhere, and Iginla who he had no shot at to begin with.

I actually feel bad for Isles fans. :facepalm:

to be fair.

Isles and Wild were final two on Vaneks list

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m

Kyle Quincey signs a 2-year deal with AAV of $4.25M with DET.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m

Kyle Quincey signs a 2-year deal with AAV of $4.25M with DET.

Wow. Detroit fans couldn't wait to see the back of him. They were so confident they were going to land some great defenseman. Now they're back to Quincey. They must be livid.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
How well is Thomas Vanek sleeping tonight? Sure, $19/3 years is great, but it isn't half of what Buffalo was willing to pay him. I guess the grass is $20m greener in Minnesota.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
How well is Thomas Vanek sleeping tonight? Sure, $19/3 years is great, but it isn't half of what Buffalo was willing to pay him. I guess the grass is $20m greener in Minnesota.

That was his choice for sure. The Isles were the other team he was talking with at the end, and surely they were offering the same they were earlier. In 3 years, if he's played well, he'll still get a bunch of money in free agency with a higher cap.

I assume he just didn't feel a great need for the security of a long-term contract with how much money he's already made. Here, he still makes a lot of money, but trades some security to make the deal palatable to the team he wanted most to be on.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC 29m

The folks at Sports Consulting Group found a new home for former #Amerks goalie David Leggio: He's signing with the New York Islanders.

Bps21*

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC 29m

The folks at Sports Consulting Group found a new home for former #Amerks goalie David Leggio: He's signing with the New York Islanders.

Leggio, conacher, Brennan...

We are sending in people to destroy them from the inside.

buffalocupcrazy*

when he completes this deal, he'll have over $75 million in career earnings, with the potential to sign another 3-4 year deal for very good money if he can keep producing the way he has (no reason to think he won't)

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
when he completes this deal, he'll have over $75 million in career earnings, with the potential to sign another 3-4 year deal for very good money if he can keep producing the way he has (no reason to think he won't)

There is also a difference between a potential $30m and a guaranteed $30m. I'd agree that it is unlikely he completely tanks out, but he clearly didn't have the market value he did when Regier was offering him the world. I completely get that money isn't everything, but I suspect he may have thought harder if he could've seen into the future.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
There is also a difference between a potential $30m and a guaranteed $30m. I'd agree that it is unlikely he completely tanks out, but he clearly didn't have the market value he did when Regier was offering him the world. I completely get that money isn't everything, but I suspect he may have thought harder if he could've seen into the future.

You say he didn't have the market value, but you just don't know that. The Isles made him a huge offer during the season, and then made him an offer again today, which was one of the two final offers he was considering. Why assume it wasn't a massive offer like the one he already turned down? Vanek didn't take a discount, he just took less term. That doesn't mean less term was offered elsewhere, he just probably cares more about playing at home in Minnesota.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
You say he didn't have the market value, but you just don't know that. The Isles made him a huge offer during the season, and then made him an offer again today, which was one of the two final offers he was considering. Why assume it wasn't a massive offer like the one he already turned down? Vanek didn't take a discount, he just took less term. That doesn't mean less term was offered elsewhere, he just probably cares more about playing at home in Minnesota.

Less term is less market value by its nature when you are at his age I'd submit, as you are trading actual guaranteed money for potential money. 33 year old UFAs don't hold and garner the same value as 30 year old UFAs. As for Minnesota and Vanek, if he had any true leverage, I'd also submit he would have bargained for additional years.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I bet he sleeps like a baby.

He likely already has enough money sitting in an investment account to keep him and his family set for life. He's going to make 6.5 million a year playing on a winning with a legit shot at winning a cup, living near close friends he made during college and his time in the USHL.

You honestly think he's sitting up thinking "Oh the money i left on the table??" He's thinking "Do you think I'll be on a line with Koivu or Granlund to start next year"

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
I bet he sleeps like a baby.

He likely already has enough money sitting in an investment account to keep him and his family set for life. He's going to make 6.5 million a year playing on a winning with a legit shot at winning a cup, living near close friends he made during college and his time in the USHL.

You honestly think he's sitting up thinking "Oh the money i left on the table??" He's thinking "Do you think I'll be on a line with Koivu or Granlund to start next year"

I absolutely believe Thomas is happy with his choice, just as I believe the thought that he took half the contract Buffalo offered him is also in his thoughts this evening. I don't believe it is too far-fetched to believe that he thought he would get a 7X7 out of Minnesota or something equivalent.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I absolutely believe Thomas is happy with his choice, just as I believe the thought that he took half the contract Buffalo offered him is also in his thoughts this evening. I don't believe it is too far-fetched to believe that he thought he would get a 7X7 out of Minnesota or something equivalent.

He could have gotten the same money from the Islanders, so why would he regret not taking it from a worse team in Buffalo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad