2014 Free Agency drags on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I think the long term projection for Strome is centre, but he'll get regular time in the NHL to start as a winger (particularly because the Isles have Tavares, Grabo and a few other centres)

I meant Lee as a centre for the Leafs? not Strome. I Should have made that more clear.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What could the leafs move to get Strome anyways? I'm having a hard time figuring out a deal that doesn't involve the leafs severely overpaying and hurting their long term development even more.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The Leafs don't have a center depth issue as much as they have a quality issue.

Kadri and Holland have intriguing potential but I don't think neither have much room to reach top end potential. They are definitely skilled players but I'm not sure if they have that consistent 60+ point potential and/or the 2-way smarts to be considered top line.

Then you have Bozak who's also a 2nd line center at best, but likely more of a third line center. Then you have a bunch of names that are so questionable in terms of upside and quality like Kontiola, Santorelli, Smith and McKegg.

A lot of names that are good to OK NHLers but in terms of quality, it's pretty sub-par compared to many teams.

So while Strome definitely has surprised me with his production in the AHL as a rookie, it would be a bit of a risk to assume he can be better then Kadri or Holland in the near or even long-term future. And I strongly doubt the Islanders want to trade him anytime soon, or even Lee for that matter. Both will be cheap for a few years and should be able to give them good depth for now.

Bozak is able to be a good 2C now. He's improved his offensive output (in fact he had a higher PPG than JVR last year) enough to be considered a 2C, and his defensive ability has almost always been good enough to be a good 2C. 1C is stretching it, but at this point he's better than anyone else we've got and there aren't many good options to upgrade upon him without being foolish with asset management. Our top line produces enough to be a cup contender on a team that has everything else, and I think with a bottom 6 that can take so much time away from the top 6, a JVR-Bozak-Kessel line is playoff worthy, if not more.

Our most pressing question marks lie on the 2nd line with Kadri, Clarkson and Lupul (or whoever else), the bottom pairing with Rielly and Franson, and the goalie situation where Reimer may or may not be the starter and may or may not be traded (but that's not a problem, it's more just uncertain at this point). The 2nd line will likely be a greater problem us more than the 1st line, because Lupul is likely to be injured, Clarkson will probably not be able to get 30 goals again to make up for any production that will be lost (but I still think 20 goals and 40-50 points are still within his range) and Kadri is still developing more (and may be the guy whose the most consistent on the line). At camp I'd almost just try a completely different second line and see what happens, because even Lupul may be traded and Clarkson may be delegated to the 3rd line. Rielly-Franson is simply a terrible defensive line, so unless Franson moves up to play with Phaneuf (also a bad idea) or trade him, we'll have an Achilles heel on defense. I'm still hoping for a Franson trade because he wouldn't leave a hole that couldn't be fixed anywhere in our lineup and causes more problems than he fixes. He is still a valuable player, but on a team that already has 2 or 3 offensive minded defensemen, he doesn't fit as the 4th and arguably worst one on the team (overall and long term, he's better than Gardiner and Rielly right now offensively).

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
The Leafs don't have a center depth issue as much as they have a quality issue.

Kadri and Holland have intriguing potential but I don't think neither have much room to reach top end potential. They are definitely skilled players but I'm not sure if they have that consistent 60+ point potential and/or the 2-way smarts to be considered top line.

Then you have Bozak who's also a 2nd line center at best, but likely more of a third line center. Then you have a bunch of names that are so questionable in terms of upside and quality like Kontiola, Santorelli, Smith and McKegg.

A lot of names that are good to OK NHLers but in terms of quality, it's pretty sub-par compared to many teams.

So while Strome definitely has surprised me with his production in the AHL as a rookie, it would be a bit of a risk to assume he can be better then Kadri or Holland in the near or even long-term future. And I strongly doubt the Islanders want to trade him anytime soon, or even Lee for that matter. Both will be cheap for a few years and should be able to give them good depth for now.

See i dont feel Strome is a risk... I feel hes a pretty well rounded player and can be a future #1 C ahead of Kadri. But thats just my opinion at this point.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
What could the leafs move to get Strome anyways? I'm having a hard time figuring out a deal that doesn't involve the leafs severely overpaying and hurting their long term development even more.

In my opinion, I think they would be looking to get a defenceman that is either playing in the NHL or could potentially make the team out of camp this year.

If you look at their roster, a majority of their forwards are 26 and younger.

Tavares - 23
Bailey - 24
Nelson - 22
Grabner - 26
Okposo - 26

Where does Strome fit into that? You've got all of those players locked up, along with the long term contracts that they just dished out to Kulemin and Grabovski.

Strome is talented and I'm sure they aren't going to give him up cheap. It would be something around a Matt Finn or Stuart Percy.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
In my opinion, I think they would be looking to get a defenceman that is either playing in the NHL or could potentially make the team out of camp this year.

If you look at their roster, a majority of their forwards are 26 and younger.

Tavares - 23
Bailey - 24
Nelson - 22
Grabner - 26
Okposo - 26

Where does Strome fit into that? You've got all of those players locked up, along with the long term contracts that they just dished out to Kulemin and Grabovski.

Strome is talented and I'm sure they aren't going to give him up cheap. It would be something around a Matt Finn or Stuart Percy.

I like Finn and Percy but I doubt they can be the basis of a deal for Strome.

Added peaces? Sure but not the main pieces. I don't know if we should be looking to acquire Strome anyways. He will cost too much and is he that much of an upgrade on Kadri?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I like Finn and Percy but I doubt they can be the basis of a deal for Strome.

Added peaces? Sure but not the main pieces. I don't know if we should be looking to acquire Strome anyways. He will cost too much and is he that much of an upgrade on Kadri?

Why couldn't they be a main piece for that deal?

They aren't going to get Rielly or Gardiner.

I think a majority of trade proposals should be to improve the defense, instead of moving sideways upfront. I think that Strome and Kadri will be on similar paths for their NHL careers, so I would rather keep assets instead of trading them for guys that they already have in the system.

This defense is going to get rattled again this season. They simply do not have the depth or quality of depth to compete for a full season. Even if you can hope for improved play from Gardiner and hope that Rielly doesn't suffer a sophmore slump, I think that there is just not enough defensive minded defencemen.

I really think that a trade based around Franson for Kindl works for both teams. Kindl is better defensively and opens more space for Rielly and Gardiner on the powerplay.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Hilarious? Kadri is more proven at the NHL obviously.

Does not mean Kadri will be the better career player.

Doesn't mean he won't be the better career player either...

Strome is a great player but he's more of the same on the Leafs. He's not a clear shot at number 1, and he'd be more expensive to get than he's worth.

I doubt the Isles look into moving him. He fits in fine with the team. If he doesn't win a center spot, he'll just get shifted to the wing like they did with Bailey.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Why couldn't they be a main piece for that deal?

They aren't going to get Rielly or Gardiner.
I think a majority of trade proposals should be to improve the defense, instead of moving sideways upfront. I think that Strome and Kadri will be on similar paths for their NHL careers, so I would rather keep assets instead of trading them for guys that they already have in the system.

This defense is going to get rattled again this season. They simply do not have the depth or quality of depth to compete for a full season. Even if you can hope for improved play from Gardiner and hope that Rielly doesn't suffer a sophmore slump, I think that there is just not enough defensive minded defencemen.

I really think that a trade based around Franson for Kindl works for both teams. Kindl is better defensively and opens more space for Rielly and Gardiner on the powerplay.

If we aren't willing to give up a high quality Dman like Phaneuf, Rielly or Gardiner then count us out on being able to potentially acquire Strome which is fine by me. I like Strome but with Kadri, Holland, Bozak, Nylander I'm not worried about our center depth long term but more finding that bonafide Star # 1 center which I simply don't see Strome likely becoming.

Percy or Finn simply aren't A level prospects. Neither of them is also ready to make an impact at the NHL level. Islanders have Reinhart, de Haan, Pokka, Pulock, Mayfield as prospects who are regarded as having similar or even better potential at this point in their careers.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If we aren't willing to give up a high quality Dman like Phaneuf, Rielly or Gardiner then count us out on being able to potentially acquire Strome which is fine by me. I like Strome but with Kadri, Holland, Bozak, Nylander I'm not worried about our center depth long term but more finding that bonafide Star # 1 center which I simply don't see Strome likely becoming.

Percy or Finn simply aren't A level prospects. Neither of them is also ready to make an impact at the NHL level. Islanders have Reinhart, de Haan, Pokka, Pulock, Mayfield as prospects who are regarded as having similar or even better potential at this point in their careers.

I wasn't making the case to acquire Strome. I was saying that you would have to throw in Percy or Finn to acquire Strome. I don't think his value is as high as what people think it is. I understand where he was drafted, but that shouldn't dictate what he is traded for.

Strome has done nothing at the NHL level.

Rielly made the team out of camp and at the 2nd toughest position for a rookie to be at. Rielly is heads above where Strome is at in my opinion. Jake Gardiner's ceiling is right around where Strome's would be, but is at more of a valuable position. And to even think that Phaneuf would be in the same breath as Strome is laughable. They would have to include a lot more.

Percy and Finn are in the same bracket as Strome. Percy doesn't get the recognition that others have because he doesn't put up the offensive numbers that they do. But he is a sound defenceman and capable of playing in any situation. Finn is similar to Percy in the sense that he could play in any situation but Finn has a better shot and is probably a bit more physical.

Just because you hear a name being tossed around doesn't mean that they are more or less valuable than what the Leafs currently have. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I also think you mentioned guys that he wouldn't surpass. I would think that you would get similar production from Holland, Gauthier, Nylander in the sense that they all might not be #1 centremen, but could be quality #2 guys.

Jacob8hockey*

I wasn't making the case to acquire Strome. I was saying that you would have to throw in Percy or Finn to acquire Strome. I don't think his value is as high as what people think it is. I understand where he was drafted, but that shouldn't dictate what he is traded for.

Strome has done nothing at the NHL level.

Rielly made the team out of camp and at the 2nd toughest position for a rookie to be at. Rielly is heads above where Strome is at in my opinion. Jake Gardiner's ceiling is right around where Strome's would be, but is at more of a valuable position. And to even think that Phaneuf would be in the same breath as Strome is laughable. They would have to include a lot more.

Percy and Finn are in the same bracket as Strome. Percy doesn't get the recognition that others have because he doesn't put up the offensive numbers that they do. But he is a sound defenceman and capable of playing in any situation. Finn is similar to Percy in the sense that he could play in any situation but Finn has a better shot and is probably a bit more physical.

Just because you hear a name being tossed around doesn't mean that they are more or less valuable than what the Leafs currently have. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I also think you mentioned guys that he wouldn't surpass. I would think that you would get similar production from Holland, Gauthier, Nylander in the sense that they all might not be #1 centremen, but could be quality #2 guys.

Percy + Finn makes the Islanders laugh.

Strome has done more at than Kadri at the same age at every level he has played at. There is zero reason to think he wouldn't have the same or more value than Kadri did at that time.

Would you have honestly traded Kadri for Percy + Finn at that time let alone Kadri straight up for one of them?

No. You wouldn't. Strome would be our best prospect with Nylander close behind.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah, Percy and Finn don't get you Strome, but there's no way you give up either Gardiner or Rielly for him. Both have done more at the NHL level than Strome.

And while Strome may have more potential than Kadri, he has still done more than Strome in the NHL. I'd sooner wait to see how Kadri shakes out over the next few years before giving up on Jake or Morgan for someone like Strome, who quite frankly may not even amount to what Kadri has done thus far.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Percy + Finn makes the Islanders laugh.

Strome has done more at than Kadri at the same age at every level he has played at. There is zero reason to think he wouldn't have the same or more value than Kadri did at that time.

Would you have honestly traded Kadri for Percy + Finn at that time let alone Kadri straight up for one of them?

No. You wouldn't. Strome would be our best prospect with Nylander close behind.

With the quality of the Islanders NHL team, why didn't he stick with the team in the 2 years that he could have? He didn't make it in the draft year and couldn't stick with the team that finished 13th in a suspect Eastern Conference. He came up and played less than half a season last year.

Strome wouldn't be the best prospect. He would be close to 1st, but automatically assuming that he would be is a bit careless in evaluating the current prospect pool. Strome doesn't have the offensive skill and upside that Nylander does.

I would have considered a deal around Percy or Finn for Strome. It purely depends on what the organization needs at the time. If your organization needs more centremen, then you trade for them. The Islanders have a TON of young forwards. They need a defenceman that can come in and play right away or be close.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
With the quality of the Islanders NHL team, why didn't he stick with the team in the 2 years that he could have? He didn't make it in the draft year and couldn't stick with the team that finished 13th in a suspect Eastern Conference. He came up and played less than half a season last year.

Strome wouldn't be the best prospect. He would be close to 1st, but automatically assuming that he would be is a bit careless in evaluating the current prospect pool. Strome doesn't have the offensive skill and upside that Nylander does.

I would have considered a deal around Percy or Finn for Strome. It purely depends on what the organization needs at the time. If your organization needs more centremen, then you trade for them. The Islanders have a TON of young forwards. They need a defenceman that can come in and play right away or be close.

Maybe just maybe the Islanders are developing Strome patiently. Strome has been a prolific scorer at every level and it was his first full professional season that was split between the NHL and AHL. He puts up very good AHL numbers and pretty good NHL numbers in limited minutes.

With the logic you used on Strome, then Kadri should have been a complete bust because he spent time in the AHL after turning when the Leafs were a lottery team.

I don't see how you don't think Strome has at least the offensive upside of Nylander with what both have shown up to this point.

Percy or Finn aren't going to make an NHL impact this year and the Islanders have some good to very good D prospects already.

Last edited:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Maybe just maybe the Islanders are developing Strome patiently. Strome has been a prolific scorer at every level and it was his first full professional season that was split between the NHL and AHL. He puts up very good AHL numbers and pretty good NHL numbers in limited minutes.

With the logic you used on Strome, then Kadri should have been a complete bust because he spent time in the AHL after turning when the Leafs were a lottery team.

I don't see how you don't think Strome has at least the offensive upside of Nylander with what both have shown up to this point.

Percy or Finn aren't going to make an NHL impact this year and the Islanders have some good to very good D prospects already.

So is Josh Leivo just as good as Strome is? Strome put up a 0.48 ppg average, while Leivo posted a 0.71 both in their rookie seasons with the AHL.

Just saying that a player puts up numbers in junior, doesn't always translate to say that they will be great pros.

I'm not saying anything about development. I think it's good that players spend atleast a year in the AHL before going to the NHL. Kadri should have had at least 1 full year in the AHL. Forget bringing him up and down.

Nylander at the age of 17 and 18 was playing with men in the SEL. I think that trumps Strome playing with players of the same age.

Who are these very good defensive prospects that they have coming up?

Jacob8hockey*

We wouldn't be able to make a deal for Strome at this point. He isn't worth any of our young roster players, Nylander for Strome is more or less just a pointless move where teams switch the risks and I'd rather Nylander bust for us than trade him and the new player busts.

Strome is worth more than every single prospect after Nylander though and it would start getting ugly when we start adding in more prospects or picks to make a trade.

Jacob8hockey*

So is Josh Leivo just as good as Strome is? Strome put up a 0.48 ppg average, while Leivo posted a 0.71 both in their rookie seasons with the AHL.

Just saying that a player puts up numbers in junior, doesn't always translate to say that they will be great pros.

I'm not saying anything about development. I think it's good that players spend atleast a year in the AHL before going to the NHL. Kadri should have had at least 1 full year in the AHL. Forget bringing him up and down.

Nylander at the age of 17 and 18 was playing with men in the SEL. I think that trumps Strome playing with players of the same age.

Who are these very good defensive prospects that they have coming up?

I think your getting the wrong numbers for strome?

Hes done nothing but light up the AHL so far. That .49 average is what he has done so far in the NHL. His AHL PPG is 1.19. His "rookie" season, which is was after his junior team got eliminate still had him getting 7pts in 10 games. This last season had him putting up 49 pts in 37 games in the AHL which is his real rookie season and be pretty much blew everyone out of the water at that age this year.

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
Friedman "...& I heard the Leafs called and asked about Thornton"
Friedman "the Leafs said, if Thornton's available we'd like to talk about this with you and him."
Friedman "it didn't go anywhere because the Sharks were interested in shaking things up but didn't want to move Thornton"

Via Hope Smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad