2014 Free Agency Continues ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Maybe not so much Franson, but Ive heard a lot about Winnipeg having interest in Reimer...they need a goalie. In this case Holland, Leivo, 1st Rounder would be the main catch, but Reimer could help them fill a hole.

Jets just signed Hutchinson.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Lupul's contract would be a negative consideration for teams with fiscal constraints (self imposed team cap), unless the budget team has another driving factor that is motivating them.

Right now he is healthy and had a healthy season, but, he did it by being soft and detached from the play which meant average season. Trade him while we can still say "healthy". There's wingers on this team that can come close to his production last year

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
In that they both score goals and are good top 6 players? lol. Id prefer Lupul slotted with Kadri-Kane rather than anyone in the bottom 6 myself.

I'm not as high on Lupul as some but agreed he is a top 6 player. I just don't see them tying up that much money in the top half of the lineup. I've always assumed that if either a top 6 player or top pair defenseman are brought in Lupul would be the one leaving.

APV

Sep 28, 2009
Right now he is healthy and had a healthy season, but, he did it by being soft and detached from the play which meant average season. Trade him while we can still say "healthy". There's wingers on this team that can come close to his production last year

This is a good point. I feel Lupul's health is reliant on how hard he plays, but when he plays hard he is a top line player. Unfortunately it usually leads to himself in vulnerable positions and getting hurt.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jets just signed Hutchinson.

He has a 2-way deal though. I know he still has to go through waivers, but if he signed a 2-way, there's a good chance he ends up in the AHL to be their 3rd stringer.

With that said, Reimer has a better chance at staying with the Leafs then being traded. I just don't see any teams in need of a #1b goaltender. There's a couple teams that could use him but probably not for the value the Leafs want. Reimer will likely sign a 1 year deal, and either hope to be traded to a team that has an injury in their crease or to walk at the end of the year and sign with whoever he wants.

The Jets are probably the only team interested to a certain degree because of Pavelec not being that good and Reimer being from Winnipeg... but even that seems unlikely simply because Pavelec is signed for another 3 seasons. But Winnipeg has cap space and could afford to give Reimer a decent deal.

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
He has a 2-way deal though. I know he still has to go through waivers, but if he signed a 2-way, there's a good chance he ends up in the AHL to be their 3rd stringer.

With that said, Reimer has a better chance at staying with the Leafs then being traded. I just don't see any teams in need of a #1b goaltender. There's a couple teams that could use him but probably not for the value the Leafs want. Reimer will likely sign a 1 year deal, and either hope to be traded to a team that has an injury in their crease or to walk at the end of the year and sign with whoever he wants.

The Jets are probably the only team interested to a certain degree because of Pavelec not being that good and Reimer being from Winnipeg... but even that seems unlikely simply because Pavelec is signed for another 3 seasons. But Winnipeg has cap space and could afford to give Reimer a decent deal.

More than a couple people doubt Reimer would do much better in Winnipeg than Pavelec has. Not getting into the who is better debate because it doesn't make a difference. They aren't trading for Reimer without Pavelec coming back and we can't afford to have another guy who thinks he's #1 on this team

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I still like Lupul and wouldn't mind keeping him if they can get value somewhere else

Still think Kadri should go to the wing and adding a legit top 6 C would do a lot for this team
some ideally with size, strong two way and good at faceoffs

Kadri/?/Lupul 2nd line

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I still like Lupul and wouldn't mind keeping him if they can get value somewhere else

Still think Kadri should go to the wing and adding a legit top 6 C would do a lot for this team
some ideally with size, strong two way and good at faceoffs

Kadri/?/Lupul 2nd line

If you had a chance at upgrading the center position you would upgrade Kadri with yet another #2 center? The only center we should upgrade is our #1 and then shift Bozak to #3. Kadri is an ideal #2 IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
More than a couple people doubt Reimer would do much better in Winnipeg than Pavelec has. Not getting into the who is better debate because it doesn't make a difference. They aren't trading for Reimer without Pavelec coming back and we can't afford to have another guy who thinks he's #1 on this team

I suppose. But again, I think they have the cap space to get Reimer signed for a year or two and then either trade Pavelec with salary retained eventually or even buy him out next off-season.

Pavelec has struggled badly with consistency. He can be really good one day and completely bad the other. If they did get Reimer in the fold, they have someone they can fall back to if Pavelec keeps sucking.

I would take Pavelec at back around 2M or so if they really wanted to dump him back to us in exchange for Reimer and a pick or two. I think he would be a good insurance policy if Bernier gets injured again or if struggles himself here or there, which is possible. At that price, Pavelec wouldn't be a bad #1b or even backup. But like you said, I'm not sure if Reimer can be that much better then Pavelec at the end of the day. Stats suggests he probably would be though.

Like I said earlier, I fully expect Reimer to be re-signed for a year.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I suppose. But again, I think they have the cap space to get Reimer signed for a year or two and then either trade Pavelec with salary retained eventually or even buy him out next off-season.

Pavelec has struggled badly with consistency. He can be really good one day and completely bad the other. If they did get Reimer in the fold, they have someone they can fall back to if Pavelec keeps sucking.

I would take Pavelec at back around 2M or so if they rally wanted to dump him back to us in exchange for Reimer and a pick or two though. I think he would be a good insurance policy if Bernier gets injured again or if struggles himself here or there, which is possible. At that price, Pavelec wouldn't be a bad #1b or even backup. But like you said, I'm not sure if Reimer can be that much better then Pavelec at the end of the day...

Like I said earlier, I fully expect Reimer to be re-signed for a year.

TBH, if we got Pavelec back at 2m and he said all the right things, I wouldn't mind either, but, I somehow think Reimer's pouting would be nothing compared to Pavelec

ECYCLE

Dec 19, 2011
Sharks may be interested in Reimer as well. Stalock seems to be the future in net and at least for now, they may want to go with a 1A/1B solution until one of those 2 are fully ready. Getting Pavelec back sounds like a bad idea but he could be a serviceable backup if Macintyre isn't good enough.

What could Leafs get from Sharks?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
First year is two-way. Not 100% he'll be the backup

True, but I think they are pretty high on him.

What about Reimer for Hutchinson and a late pick, or something?

Bit of a risk (especially if Bernier goes down again), but it would give Reimer the change of scenery he wants, give the Leafs a cheap backup with potential, and give Winnipeg a young goalie who has proven he can play (if a bit inconsistently) at the NHL level to push Pavelec, or quite possibly take his job. Doesn't hurt he's a hometown boy for them either.

I think Winnipeg will make a serious push for the playoffs this year, so that extra insurance in net wouldn't hurt at all.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sharks may be interested in Reimer as well. Stalock seems to be the future in net and at least for now, they may want to go with a 1A/1B solution until one of those 2 are fully ready. Getting Pavelec back sounds like a bad idea but he could be a serviceable backup if Macintyre isn't good enough.

MacIntyre signed with Carolina.

Right now our third stringer is probably Sparks.

Safe to say that the Leafs will definitely want a backup if Reimer is traded.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

San Jose seems to be a goalie factory. Do they have a decent NHL ready backup with potential?

MacIntyre is gone, so if the Leafs move Reimer they need a backup. There was rumours around Marty Brodeur, but personally I'd prefer a younger guy with more potential.

ECYCLE

Dec 19, 2011
MacIntyre signed with Carolina.

Right now our third stringer is probably Sparks.

Safe to say that the Leafs will definitely want a backup if Reimer is traded.

Oh, didn't know he signed with Carolina. Too bad. Vokoun, Bryz, Giguere? I dunno, they seem better choices then Pavelec.

ECYCLE

Dec 19, 2011
San Jose seems to be a goalie factory. Do they have a decent NHL ready backup with potential?

MacIntyre is gone, so if the Leafs move Reimer they need a backup. There was rumours around Marty Brodeur, but personally I'd prefer a younger guy with more potential.

Could also work out a trade involving Niemi and Reimer+. I think Niemi's contract is expiring next season? Could be good insurance if Bernier goes down until trade deadline at least.

edit: Reimer clearly doesn't want to be in Toronto so I'm not sure keeping him in Toronto is a good idea.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

All depends on how you look at it. Bernier could be our #1 for 10 years. having a young guy right now might be for naught. However, bringing Brodeur on board as a mentor could be value in itself, and he is still a capable backup. I personally lean towards him in that role

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
All depends on how you look at it. Bernier could be our #1 for 10 years. having a young guy right now might be for naught. However, bringing Brodeur on board as a mentor could be value in itself, and he is still a capable backup. I personally lean towards him in that role

Same here. There isn't anything left in terms of UFA goaltenders and I'd go with him just for the experience and he may probably could add to our room.

I just hope he doesn't just want the paycheque and actually adds something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad