2014 Free Agency Continues ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

APV

Sep 28, 2009
B level prospects and players... not enough to consider moving Kane IMO.

I get that feeling too. At the same time Kane hasn't proven recently that he is a surefire franchise player to warrant a star in return. I just thought a high quantity of young quality players might entice winnipeg, (Leivo, Holland, (Franson & Reimer to a certain extent), and at the same time fill some holes in their lineup.

While I like the cheap, low risk high reward deals we've made, I really feel that we are a still top 6 winger and top 4 defenceman away from even qualifying for playoffs.

Hoping Nonis has 1 or 2 impactful trades in the works...

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I get that feeling too. At the same time Kane hasn't proven recently that he is a surefire franchise player to warrant a star in return. I just thought a high quantity of young quality players might entice winnipeg, (Leivo, Holland, (Franson & Reimer to a certain extent), and at the same time fill some holes in their lineup.

While I like the cheap, low risk high reward deals we've made, I really feel that we are a still top 6 winger and top 4 defenceman away from even qualifying for playoffs.

Hoping Nonis has 1 or 2 impactful trades in the works...

I'd be all over a Reimer+Lupul+Franson deal, I'd even toss in a decent prospect... but I just don't think that gets it done. Maybe... but probably not. Definitely not if you ask their fans. :laugh:

APV

Sep 28, 2009
I know this is a sensitive subject, but do you guys spend a 1st to get Kane to keep lupul and sweeten the pot for the Jets?

Holland, Franson, Leivo, Riemer, 1st ?

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
I love when people make wild accusations and correlations just because our team hasn't been amazing or the best at signing players, even though we tend to sign players near the tail end of their career, partly before due to us having so much money and overpaying for names, but it would then be reasonable to expect their play to decline.

As an example on the 1987 draft our head scout said to draft Joe Sakic. We selected Luke Richardson instead, mainly due to us already having small centres and wanting some size and dependability on the back end.

There are so many factors in why certain players get selected, as well as sometimes they take a risk because the potential is great.

I just don't think this is reason or cause to push blame onto people none of us have met, know of or can directly show that was there fault. Stick to your mock lineups, trade speculations, and twitter fueled rumours. No leaf fan needs to be reminded of 1967 everytime we make a bad signing or a draft pick doesn't work out. I think they recently said that there is only a 33% chance that even a 2nd round choice makes the NHL, and yet we frequently get angry when the guy we want is not chosen.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I know this is a sensitive subject, but do you guys spend a 1st to get Kane to keep lupul and sweeten the pot for the Jets?

I'm not convinced Kane's off ice behaviour is worth giving a first away for, if the Leafs are trying to improve the teams character, I don't know if Kane's a fit. That being said, he can play hockey when he wants to, no doubt about it.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I still like the idea of something around Franson for Brett Connolly

Then move Lupul for a dman like Z Michalek

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Buffalo has already made it clear that they would expect 3 substantial pieces in a deal for Myers IIRC.
wow, that's allot for a gut who's been struggling and has a high salary. I think he can rebound, but no way is he worth a return of 3 substancial pieces after the last 2 seasons imo.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I'd think for sure a 1st would have to be included and they can have Lupul.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Burning at the cross? Hum, no.

He's still a cry baby though.

"Wwwwaaaahhhhh they don't want to give me my 8 year contract? That's not fair! :rant: What a slap in the face!"

So dramatic that Johansen. He can ask for whatever he wants but he doesn't have to whine about it. First world problems... Can you have imagine Kadri saying those things about his contract negotiations last season?

I don't care what people say, even hockey players. Better to know what people actually think than not. Even corporations/governments make mistakes. Milgram obedience experiment.

So, do you want the "crybaby" or not? Going with the flow here, Franson for crybaby - thumbs up or down? ;)

APV

Sep 28, 2009
I'd think for sure a 1st would have to be included and they can have Lupul.

I think lupul is a character guy and still can contribute a lot in the top 6. Id try to keep him as best I can if I was going after another top 6er personally.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think lupul is a character guy and still can contribute a lot in the top 6. Id try to keep him as best I can if I was going after another top 6er personally.

They need to cut some cap somewhere, that would be Lupul IMO.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I don't care what people say, even hockey players. Better to know what people actually think than not. Even corporations/governments make mistakes. Milgram obedience experiment.

So, do you want the "crybaby" or not? Going with the flow here, Franson for crybaby - thumbs up or down? ;)

That's an easy yes, but what else are we adding that's substantial, because other teams will offer a lot

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

Top six forward (Lupul) + 1st + prospect (Finn/Brown/Leivo/Percy)

Don't really see Winnipeg having interest in Franson, Reimer, etc.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I still like the idea of something around Franson for Brett Connolly

Then move Lupul for a dman like Z Michalek

Franson isn't much different than MDZ or many similar bottom pairing defenders that get 2nd shift PP time. Using him as trade bait isn't going to give the big return. To get another team to kick the tires on Franson he'd have to have a reasonably priced, one-year contract so they could dump him if it didn't work out.

In the above trade scenario, the other team will take Franson and Riemer out of the value equation. The Jets could likely do better in trade involving Kane, even if/unless they are convinced they'll get a top 5 overall out of the Leafs in the next draft maybe.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
They still have close to 5 million in cap space no?

Not sure but either way I don't think it's a good idea to be right up against the cap. It's good to keep some flexibility for any potential future moves.

IMO, Lupul would be redundant with Kane.

APV

Sep 28, 2009
Top six forward (Lupul) + 1st + prospect (Finn/Brown/Leivo/Percy)

Don't really see Winnipeg having interest in Franson, Reimer, etc.

Maybe not so much Franson, but Ive heard a lot about Winnipeg having interest in Reimer...they need a goalie. In this case Holland, Leivo, 1st Rounder would be the main catch, but Reimer could help them fill a hole.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Not sure but either way I don't think it's a good idea to be right up against the cap. It's good to keep some flexibility for any potential future moves.

Lupul might be redundant right now

APV

Sep 28, 2009

Redundant how exactly?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Maybe not so much Franson, but Ive heard a lot about Winnipeg having interest in Reimer...they need a goalie. In this case Holland, Leivo, 1st Rounder would be the main catch, but Reimer could help them fill a hole.

Kane makes the same as Lupul, so keeping Lupul and sending guys without contracts or AHL guys means we'll be over the cap. Also, we'd need to take Pavelec back and he makes over 3m. Salary has to go the other way, and a good chunk of it

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Lupul might be redundant right now

Lupul's contract would be a negative consideration for teams with fiscal constraints (self imposed team cap), unless the budget team has another driving factor that is motivating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad