2014 Draft : Your pick at #17

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Alex Tuch fits the mold of a Hextall player. Big and skilled. If he's there that's their pick. I only worry that his numbers are a bit inflated due playing with Jack Eichel and Milano.

You know, I have a question about players like Tuch for someone more in the know than I am. In Meltzer's write up yesterday or the day before, he described him as a kid that knows how to get scoring chances, but someone who lacks a finishing touch. Is that something that can be developed as he gets older? Is there more upside to a kid who gets multiple chances a game, but needs them to finish versus a kid that doesn't get nearly as many chances but knows how to bury a puck at that level?

With our inability to finish at times this year, and how shooting percentages at the NHL level seem to always regress, I've been getting curious about the topic of finishing for a while now. How it translates from league to league, level to level. I've not really ever heard it discussed anywhere when projecting a young player, but it seems like it would be important.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I have a theory about finishing. I think now adays fewer and fewer players are capable of beating a goal tender clean. By clean i mean no deflections, or screens just you and the goalie and a shot. This stanley cup final was a good example of that. I can't recall 1 clean goal off the top of my head.

Goals these days seem to come from deflections and rebounds and that is why i am all for getting power forward or guys that can live in the crease. Guys that can estbalish position in there and are large enough to take a beating are always a threat to get tips and rebounds. That is why i am all for getting a guy like Tuch who seems to possess the body to live in the crease, that is also why i like Defenders that are 6 foot 6 like morin who can beat the living hell out of guys trying to get in front of the crease instead of smaller more mobile defenders.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I have a theory about finishing. I think now adays fewer and fewer players are capable of beating a goal tender clean. By clean i mean no deflections, or screens just you and the goalie and a shot. This stanley cup final was a good example of that. I can't recall 1 clean goal off the top of my head.

Goals these days seem to come from deflections and rebounds and that is why i am all for getting power forward or guys that can live in the crease. Guys that can estbalish position in there and are large enough to take a beating are always a threat to get tips and rebounds. That is why i am all for getting a guy like Tuch who seems to possess the body to live in the crease, that is also why i like Defenders that are 6 foot 6 like morin who can beat the living hell out of guys trying to get in front of the crease instead of smaller more mobile defenders.

Definitely agreed about the Finals. Even Chicago vs. LA, most of the goals were deflections. When you have a good defense to box shooters out, and a solid enough goalie behind them, it makes it nearly impossible to score unless it's a rebound or a deflection. Most "clean goals" come off a fatal defensive miscue by the other team, anyway, which is another reason you stop seeing them as the playoffs go on.

And while I'm all for big guys that can get in the crease (like Simmonds), you still need that catalyst that can drive the play. A good possession player. Which is something we don't have enough of.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The more I read about Larkin the more I think he will be the pick. They choose BPA, but Larkin can play wing, is good defensively and is more of a goal scorer than passer.

Zubrus, Williams, Sbisa, Couturier all made it at 18, just saying.

Well history isn't against his side, don't think there's ever been a kid from the US program that made the jump right away to the NHL the following year.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Larkin seems like a Landeskog-lite. Wouldn't be the worst pick at that spot at all, but I'd still rather go for the high ceiling player like Milano or Fiala.

As for Tuch, I just don't know how much offense he'll ever create by himself, and he got a lot of benefit from playing with Milano and Eichel. I just see him as a great accessory to better players. I'd rather pick those better players, and go for the accessories in the later rounds (eg, 6'6" Hunter Smith).

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
i do not think milano will get past the detroit redwings

at 15.

that will allow the opportunity for another high ranked higher skill guy to fall into our laps.wouldnt it be like an early christmas present if a guy like virtanen simply fell because of an injury.and if he does, hopefully into our lap. teams are all over the map when it comes to medical issues.

and with this draft being so unusual with the prospects compared to most.outside of the top 5, everyones board is gonna be way different. some will be shocked that their top ranked guy whom other teams had ranked lower, falls into their lap, and some high ranked guys from some scouting agencies will drop and drop.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
at 15.

that will allow the opportunity for another high ranked higher skill guy to fall into our laps.wouldnt it be like an early christmas present if a guy like virtanen simply fell because of an injury.and if he does, hopefully into our lap. teams are all over the map when it comes to medical issues.

and with this draft being so unusual with the prospects compared to most.outside of the top 5, everyones board is gonna be way different. some will be shocked that their top ranked guy whom other teams had ranked lower, falls into their lap, and some high ranked guys from some scouting agencies will drop and drop.

Virtanen has some awesome tools, but he's not a can't-miss stud like the big names are. I'd honestly pick Milano over him. Virtanen's flaws are pretty offputting, imo. I'd still be happy to take that risk, but I wouldn't be as pumped as I'd be if, say, Nick Ritchie fell.

As for Detroit, I think they go for one of the two-way centers. Larkin's a Michigan native, and he fills a need for them.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Virtanen has some awesome tools, but he's not a can't-miss stud like the big names are. I'd honestly pick Milano over him. Virtanen's flaws are pretty offputting, imo. I'd still be happy to take that risk, but I wouldn't be as pumped as I'd be if, say, Nick Ritchie fell.

As for Detroit, I think they go for one of the two-way centers. Larkin's a Michigan native, and he fills a need for them.

Yea Bill posted that acouple scouts and GMs(?) think that he might just be a Torres type of player.

AFTeRMaTH*

I've studied up on all these guys and I'm not Bob Mckenzie or anything but I know a decent amount. For me it's not even close. Ivan Barbashev if he is there and never look back. Not even close to a debate IMO. Other good players there but give me Barbashev pleasesee

Ive been on that same trail. Give me Barber or give me death!

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Yea Bill posted that acouple scouts and GMs(?) think that he might just be a Torres type of player.

Button, who I don't always agree with (see Risto), doesn't see Virtanen as a top 50 player and, as I recall, he lives miles from Calgary and has seen Jake play dozens of times.

It's obviously only one player personnel guy, but it certainly suggests that there are knowledgeable people that don't see Jake as a can't miss.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
i was just using virtanen as en example

of an injured guy that may fall. but talk of him being a torres is scary.in a bad way.

its hard to say about whom detroit has ranked higher, milano or larkin. since we have no access to any teams draft boards for obvious reasons.

we are all supposing and speculating. obviously we have our own personal likes regarding these draft prospects.

so yah let our scouts do what they are paid to do. we will like our first round pick, they nail that one. the rest of the draft is a bit fuzzy. i am just a little curious as to the changes hextall makes over homer, and one has to trust hextall as he was fairly involved when the kings put their first championship together and will do things the same way.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My Personal Wishlist at #17:
1. LW Sonny Milano
2. LD Travis Sanheim
3. RW Alex Tuch
4. RW Nikita Scherbak
5. LW Kevin Fiala
6. C Ivan Barbashev
7. RD Jack Dougherty
8. C. Dylan Larkin
9. LW Brendan Lemueix
10. C Ryan MacInnis

Last edited:

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
My Personal Top Wishlist at #17:
1. LW Sonny Milano
2. LD Travis Sanheim
3. RW Alex Tuch
4. RW Nikita Scherbak
5. LW Kevin Fiala
6. C Ivan Barbashev
7. RD Jack Dougherty
8. C. Dylan Larkin
9. LW Brendan Lemueix
10. C Ryan MacInnis

Without knowing who else might be available, I think this is a fine list. I might have Fiala third a bit higher, but like the rest.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Without knowing who else might be available, I think this is a fine list. I might have Fiala third a bit higher, but like the rest.

Yeah if guys like Ehlers, Ritchie, Fleury, or even Fabbri to a lesser extent fall for whatever reason than they'll obviously be towards the top of the list for me.

I'm not really crazy about Virtanen nor Perlini who very well could fall.

PhillyHockey215

Jun 17, 2014
Milano, Ho-Sang, or Kapanen's kid. All, in my mind, have potential to be top 6 forward in the league and that's what we should really look for in this draft.

PhillyHockey215

Jun 17, 2014
Yeah if guys like Ehlers, Ritchie, Fleury, or even Fabbri to a lesser extent fall for whatever reason than they'll obviously be towards the top of the list for me.

I'm not really crazy about Virtanen nor Perlini who very well could fall.

I wouldn't want Ritchie because he's apparently a real lazy player at times and no thanks I don't want that on this kind of Philadelphia Flyers team.

AFTeRMaTH*

I wouldn't want Ritchie because he's apparently a real lazy player at times and no thanks I don't want that on this kind of Philadelphia Flyers team.

We would HAVE to take Ritchie if he dropped to 17. Kid has all the tools and the size to go with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad