2014 Draft : Your pick at #17

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
It is funny looking at some of the other teams boards and who they like.

Like some here really like Sanhiem, on the Dallas board their "Sanhiem" is Honka.

On the Red Wings board they all really like Barbashev.

They will most likely be around our pick but most dont talk about them on here. Kind of funny the different view points.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
If perlini is there, its a no brainer.

Not to me it isn't. I think Perlini is a fine player and would be surprised if he is there, but in my viewings, I don't see a lot of reasons why he would be considered considerably better than Milano.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Not to me it isn't. I think Perlini is a fine player and would be surprised if he is there, but in my viewings, I don't see a lot of reasons why he would be considered considerably better than Milano.

Not to me, either.

Perlini's knocked for being soft and inconsistent. And he had insane chemistry with Verhaeghe this year...

Those are some red flags to me. He has real solid tools, but I have serious concerns about him. I have less with Milano. But what do I know.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I wouldn't surprise me in this draft if the Flyers get a projected 1rst rounder with their second rounder again this year (ie. Hagg). Seems like there are many options not all too different from mid-first on out.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Perlini sounds just like jvr. And what is more concerning good chmeistry with Vanderweghe or good chemistry with Eichel?

I like milano but a 6 foot 3 guy that can skate like perlini is impossible to pass up

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Perlini sounds just like jvr. And what is more concerning good chmeistry with Vanderweghe or good chemistry with Eichel?
Good point. :laugh:

I like milano but a 6 foot 3 guy that can skate like perlini is impossible to pass up
I agree Perlini is intriguing, but I just want another guy in the system who loves having the puck on his stick. Wouldn't be disappointed with Perlini by any means, but we don't have a lot of dynamic offensive skill beyond 28 and 93. I guess this just comes down to preference. There's hardly ever a right answer when talking about 18 year olds who are all in the same general tier.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Either way there are some great lw's available. If that is the position we choose we should be able to get a guy that has top 6 potential.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I agree Perlini is intriguing, but I just want another guy in the system who loves having the puck on his stick. Wouldn't be disappointed with Perlini by any means, but we don't have a lot of dynamic offensive skill beyond 28 and 93. I guess this just comes down to preference. There's hardly ever a right answer when talking about 18 year olds who are all in the same general tier.

This is my feeling as well. I like Perlini as a prospect. I also like Milano. The point was that it isn't this huge gulf between them in terms of where selecting one or the other is a no-brainer. Generally speaking, as long as Hextall follows the guidance of our scouting department, I trust those scouts to make the right decision.

I trust that I don't know as much as our scouts to ascertain the distinction in future value between two players that my eyes tell me aren't considerably different in skill level today.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I went with Kapanen but I don't think he'll be there. If he is not there my vote is for Milano.

AFTeRMaTH*

I like Milano too but I can't believe its this unanimous. There's so many good LW in this draft. Barbashev plays a 200ft game and still has a lot of potential. He isn't a typical Russian. Check him out.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
perlini

not even close no contest.

why would you not want to put a guy that can score on your team. a natural goal scorer. something we have not had since jeff carter.

with giroux a natural playmaker, and perlini a natural goal scorer and a power forward like voracek the beast, that would be one sexy line.

as a canadian scout put it, at the under 18s, he had 5 good minutes. the 5 minutes were so good, he ended up scoring twice for canada in a 2-1 win. the other 15-20 minutes, he was like a ghost, you would not have noticed him. that raises significant red flags.

just watch this guy is gonna fall and we tend to go for guys that have strong under 18 tournies, but when a guy this good falls into your lap take him or someone is gonna get a crazy bargain.

we are lookiing for an upgrade in the skill department at forward, this guy is all of that. and i would love to see him in a shootout.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I like Milano too but I can't believe its this unanimous. There's so many good LW in this draft. Barbashev plays a 200ft game and still has a lot of potential. He isn't a typical Russian. Check him out.

Barbashev projects to be a center in the NHL that's why he's not getting many votes.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Barbashev projects to be a center in the NHL that's why he's not getting many votes.
I'm of the philosophy that teams should always draft the best player available. Drafting for need never seems to work out, and predictions of team needs a few years down the line are wrong more often than not.

Imagine if we passed on Giroux in 2006 because we already had Carter and Richards in the system.
EDIT: I forgot Giroux played mostly RW at the time, but even so.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm of the philosophy that teams should always draft the best player available. Drafting for need never seems to work out, and predictions of team needs a few years down the line are wrong more often than not.

Imagine if we passed on Giroux in 2006 because we already had Carter and Richards in the system.

The way the Flyers set up their draft board last year was needs based.

We have Giroux (26), Schenn (22), & Couturier (21) already on the roster with Laughton (20) looking to crack it this year possibly. Unless the player is clearly the BPA I wouldn't take a center.

Also Giroux was drafted as a winger originally not center.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
The way the Flyers set up their draft board last year was needs based.

We have Giroux (26), Schenn (22), & Couturier (21) already on the roster with Laughton (20) looking to crack it this year possibly. Unless the player is clearly the BPA I wouldn't take a center.

Also Giroux was drafted as a winger originally not center.
Yeah, the fact Giroux was drafted as a winger skipped my mind. Even so, watching players change and adapt as they develop into pros (even switching positions) is another reason why drafting by need isn't the best strategy. And if he were playing center back then like he is now, would we not have taken him?

Also, time will tell if Morin was a good pick, but now with the development of Ghost and Alt along with the later selection of Hagg, maybe selecting a winger might have been filled a need even more. And that's just one year later. You just don't know IMO, even if we do have 4 promising young centers right now.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
What's the general opinion on Dylan Larkin? I haven't seen his name pop up here, but based on Metzler's article a couple of days ago, he seems like a prototypical Flyers pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad