2014 Draft : Your pick at #17

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Might want to hold off on this poll. There's a guy going around every team picking the consensus player from each fan base. He's on Dallas today, so it should get to us by Friday.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1687321

So far the results are:

1. :panthers D Aaron Ekblad 85.71%
2. :sabres C Sam Reinhart 56.32%
3. :edmonton C Sam Bennett 63.06%
4. :flames C Leon Draisaitl 71.05%
5. :isles C/LW Michael Dal Colle 68.83%
6. :nucks LW Nikolaj Ehlers Auto'ed
7. :canes RW Nick Ritchie 52.94%
8. :leafs C/LW William Nylander 68.46%
9. :jets C/LW Jake Virtanen 35.09%
10. :ducks2 LW Kasperi Kapanen 21.74%
11. :nashville LW Brendan Perlini 32.35%
12. :coyotes C/LW Robby Fabbri 50%
13. :caps D Haydn Fleury 75.68%
14. :stars ???
15. :wings
16. :cbj
17. :flyers
18. :wild
19. :bolts
20. :sharks

And looks like Stars fans are going with Fiala.

Anyways, I pick Milano. Too skilled to pass up if he's there. Other (realistic) guys I'd want are Fiala, Barbashev, and Vrana. Probably in that order.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Milano, other picks may be safer but I think he has the highest upside.

I agree. He has that Patrick Kane type swagger with the puck and he skates like Tyler Seguin. Who knows how his hockey sense will translate to the NHL, but those qualities are so electrifying.

AFTeRMaTH*

I'm a big Barbashev, Milano, Fiala and Vrana fan. I'll be thrilled with anyone of them tbh. I have a feeling Tuch will be our pick though.

AFTeRMaTH*

Anyways, I pick Milano. Too skilled to pass up if he's there. Other (realistic) guys I'd want are Fiala, Barbashev, and Vrana. Probably in that order.

Well we might save him some time if Milano is available. Looks like he's dominating this poll so far. And nothing wrong with two different polls. This poll is asking if these players were all left who you would want us to pick. The other one will have some of these guys missing.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Well we might save him some time if Milano is available. Looks like he's dominating this poll so far. And nothing wrong with two different polls. This poll is asking if these players were all left who you would want us to pick. The other one will have some of these guys missing.

True.

Draft day just needs to get here. I hate reading up on guys I like knowing we're probably going to end up with someone else.

I don't know why but I have a gut feeling we're going to end up with Larkin.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree. He has that Patrick Kane type swagger with the puck and he skates like Tyler Seguin. Who knows how his hockey sense will translate to the NHL, but those qualities are so electrifying.

That type of player with Giroux... 100+ point season for sure.

If we do draft him, how many years until he leaves BC? Does it depend or is there a requirement for him to stay a certain amount of years?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
That type of player with Giroux... 100+ point season for sure.

If we do draft him, how many years until he leaves BC? Does it depend or is there a requirement for him to stay a certain amount of years?
He's got an underrated shot, too. I'm just enamored with him because he loves to have the puck on his stick. We don't have enough guys who are confident in their abilities to hold the puck.

No requirement, but I'd say one year is unlikely regardless of how well he does. If he lights the NCAA on fire right off the bat, I can see it being two years. Otherwise I see three years. Unless he progresses unusually slowly, I can't see him finishing all four years. Seems like the type who just wants to get to the NHL as fast as possible but that's admittedly total conjecture.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
i went milano kid has some amazing talent, really great hands and his skating is phenomenal may not be a sure thing but in my opinion has one of the highest upsides in the draft

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
No requirement, but I'd say one year is unlikely regardless of how well he does. If he lights the NCAA on fire right off the bat, I can see it being two years. Otherwise I see three years. Unless he progresses unusually slowly, I can't see him finishing all four years. Seems like the type who just wants to get to the NHL as fast as possible but that's admittedly total conjecture.

You have to remember he's already got a good build & with some good weight so it's not like he's entering as some twig who's going to need multiple years by default to bulk up so it's going to be dependent on his play mostly.

Most high end kids especially at the forward position usually turn pro a year or two in.

BC's still a very good team but are losing their entire top line so he should get opportunities top 6 minutes. Also a part of playing at the US Program is that they play exhibition games against college programs so it won't be completely foreign to him entering the NCAA.

I honestly think if he wasn't going to BC he would be a good candidate to play in the OHL.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
You have to remember he's already got a good build & with some good weight so it's not like he's entering as some twig who's going to need multiple years by default to bulk up so it's going to be dependent on his play mostly.

Most high end kids especially at the forward position usually turn pro a year or two in.

BC's still a very good team but are losing their entire top line so he should get opportunities top 6 minutes. Also a part of playing at the US Program is that they exhibition games at college programs so it won't be completely foreign to him playing against those teams.

I honestly think if he wasn't going to BC he would be a good candidate to play in the OHL.

Those are really good points. I just don't remember the last player to leave BC after a year. I still think two years is the most likely, and it'll be one only if he puts up some ridiculous numbers as a freshman. Which isn't exactly out of the question.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Alex Tuch. A big dude with good wheels that is learning to use his size and will be going to great program in Boston College. With Lucic, Wilson, Pacioretty, Neal, etc....the Flyers need a legitimate big guy in their top six and Tuch fits the bill. He might not be a fighter, but that size and physicality is needed.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I went with Sanheim. I don't think our defensive situation is completely worked out yet with what we have in the prospect pool, and while we need wingers now, we may not when these kids are actually developed. If that's still the case, you can always trade a d-man for a winger.

I'm also totally comfortable with Milano. I'd prefer a winger that plays a more complete game, but hopefully he can develop that.

AFTeRMaTH*

This seems like one of the hardest drafts to mock. Some of these guys could go top 9 or end up in the 2nd round.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
No thanks on Milano (UNLESS he CAN figure out the D side of the puck - hopefully his work ethic is there):

Milano's biggest issue is that his defensive work needs a lot of refining and consistency. While some games he does go and back check and help out in his own zone he doesn't normally. He is often caught out waiting for the breakaway rather than helping his own team get out of the zone. It's this lack of defensive consistency that puts Milano further down the draft order.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2014/6/4/5764818/2014-nhl-draft-profile-sonny-milano

Milano is almost universally viewed in offensive terms. Most observers acknowledge that he needs work in the defensive end . . . which is hardly surprising for anyone at this level. Clearly, however, the scouts have seen less progress in this regard than they might otherwise prefer.

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2014/5/26/5750020/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-21-sonny-milano

Last edited:

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Milano if he´s still available or if not, I would be more than fine with Fiala. He could turn into a great LW for the first line. Vrana and Barbashev would also be fine.

Both Milano and Fiala have some defensive flaws in their game, but this is often the case with players fresh out of juniors. Some more seasoning under that aspect in their respective leagues and they should learn a viable 200-foot-game

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
Was he the guy who had Giroux as his twitter background?

Yes. I remember reading somewhere that Patrick Kane is his favorite player but he also likes Giroux. I think he also said that his favorite team growing up was the Islanders..

Anyway, today I have my "Finn glasses" on me so I voted for Kapanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad