2014 Draft : Your pick at #17

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
larkin

What's the general opinion on Dylan Larkin? I haven't seen his name pop up here, but based on Metzler's article a couple of days ago, he seems like a prototypical Flyers pick.

yah i like him alot.

probably the reason you do not see him around 17 id because their is a 99.99% chance he is gone by 17.

think detroit when you think dylan larkin. local kid, very talented. if he is on the board at 15, then detroit is gonna take him.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
What's the general opinion on Dylan Larkin? I haven't seen his name pop up here, but based on Metzler's article a couple of days ago, he seems like a prototypical Flyers pick.

If he is available at 17, my guess is we take him. He should have been included in the poll. As you mentioned, he seems like a Flyers type of pick. The Future Considerations mock draft has us taking him at 17 as well.

If they go defense, I'd guess Jack Dougherty. I know some people will say that is too early, but I have a suspicion a few teams will slightly reach for defensemen. Such a small amount of good ones are available and it is such a coveted position these days.

ToTheNet

Jun 9, 2007
Holland, PA
They need a high end offensive talent regardless of if they play D or not. If they can get a Kane-lite or someone in that mold I'm down. They could use a dynamic forward. If that is Milano sounds good to me to take him.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
I voted Honka based 100% on the name. I have zero clue on the kids this year. Normally I'm really into the draft and this year I have done zero research into any of them and watched next to no junior games. Is Kapanen Samis kid?

Bryz4shiz

Feb 10, 2009
Alhoa Oe
I voted Honka based 100% on the name. I have zero clue on the kids this year. Normally I'm really into the draft and this year I have done zero research into any of them and watched next to no junior games. Is Kapanen Samis kid?

I voted Barbashev for this reason too, but you can't go wrong, lots of great names on that list.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah it's his son. He actually played on the same team as Sami this year in the FEL. Sami owns the team along with Timonen & Hartnell.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I voted Milano having only seen a little of him. I have 4 draft guides and Milano looks like a safe higher end talent, great hands, skating with exceptional quickness and an accurate shot with a fast release. He sounds like a keeper. I was very tempted to pick Perlini who sounds very Bobby Ryanish. There were just too many negatives attached to him. He may be better than Milano, but riskier and Milano is a real talent.

The other guy I considered is Sanheim. I really, really like him. Defense is always a riskier proposition than forward, and though we have 3 -4 good prospects, none are cinches to be top end guys. I think Sanheim has more potential than the others but hope that 3 of the 4 (of course, I would like all 4) become quality guys.

I like Tuch here as well, but not as much as the first three I mentioned.
The two guys I'd really like to get are Dal Colle and Virtanen. Maybe Virtanen's shoulder causes him to slide. You never know in the NHL draft.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Perlini's too good a skater to compare to Ryan. I'd say he's comparable to Kreider, though Kreider is nastier and more reckless.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Yeah, I think that is true. He is a better skater, but from what I have read, his game sounds similar (thoughI have not seen him). I would not have a problem if the Flyers took him. Who wouldn't want a faster Bobby Ryan?

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Alex Tuch. A big dude with good wheels that is learning to use his size and will be going to great program in Boston College. With Lucic, Wilson, Pacioretty, Neal, etc....the Flyers need a legitimate big guy in their top six and Tuch fits the bill. He might not be a fighter, but that size and physicality is needed.

I like Tuch also and would not mind if we selected him. But right now Dylan Larkin is the kid I voted for. Like I stated before, this young man is mature beyond his years and I think he is not that far from playing in the NHL.

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
Milano sounds a lot like Giorux as a prospect. He has the offensive skills but we dont know if his defensive game/ work ethic will improve and thus allow him to succeed in the NHL, which is why he will be taken later in the draft. Honestly, if he works hard and receives good training then he could make it. And i think he will since he is going to an amazing college hockey program. I'd pick him. He sounds like the same thing as a Giroux pick and the opposite of a Goullbourne pick which is enough for me to decide to pick him.

AFTeRMaTH*

That Goullbourne pick drives me mad when we could of had BJorkstrand or Duclair in the 3rd round instead.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
eh, I have never heard of any of them, so uh, I guess I will be happy with whomever Hextall picks.

or bpa
I think no one here really knows them all, so we're all just picking our favourites, most likely the ones we've seen play. I've seen Fiala, Honka and Barbashev, and have been impressed with them in that order.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I was just reading up and watching a little Sanheim. He's pretty intriguing. He's probably the fastest riser in this draft. You know who was the fastest riser last year? Samuel Morin.

NHLPaul

Jun 4, 2014
You know... Around
I've studied up on all these guys and I'm not Bob Mckenzie or anything but I know a decent amount. For me it's not even close. Ivan Barbashev if he is there and never look back. Not even close to a debate IMO. Other good players there but give me Barbashev pleasesee

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was just reading up and watching a little Sanheim. He's pretty intriguing. He's probably the fastest riser in this draft. You know who was the fastest riser last year? Samuel Morin.

I've been beating the Sanheim drum before it was cool. :sarcasm:

Nah seriously he's second on my wish list behind Milano.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That Goullbourne pick drives me mad when we could of had BJorkstrand or Duclair in the 3rd round instead.

Yup...I wanted Bjork so bad and will forever link the 2. Hopefully we start drafting talent with all our picks from now on. Drafting 4th line upside with 3rd rounders is just dumb. I would much rather go for the home runs who have less chance if panning out.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
The more I read about Larkin the more I think he will be the pick. They choose BPA, but Larkin can play wing, is good defensively and is more of a goal scorer than passer.

Zubrus, Williams, Sbisa, Couturier all made it at 18, just saying.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
The more I read about Larkin the more I think he will be the pick. They choose BPA, but Larkin can play wing, is good defensively and is more of a goal scorer than passer.

Zubrus, Williams, Sbisa, Couturier all made it at 18, just saying.

Yep. Very mature young man who would look good in Orange and Black.

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
Alex Tuch fits the mold of a Hextall player. Big and skilled. If he's there that's their pick. I only worry that his numbers are a bit inflated due playing with Jack Eichel and Milano.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I still go with Milano or Fiala. We have no pure skilled wingers. Need some skill on that wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad