2014 Draft Thread – Part Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

Sounds like Ehlers was rather poor last night despite picking up 2 points. I'll probably be going to Gatineau for a game this series (game 4)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Guess not. I agree with you though.

I've wanted Reinhart all year

And I should add I'd be happy enough to have Bennett even if he's my Plan B (along with Ekblad, who I rate higher... so maybe Plan C). I do think Nolan would love his style, I just think it's a distinct matter from size. Reinhart is a bit more likely imo to help us in possession which is still the critical weakness of the team, and to me that says bigger than mixing it up.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Sounds like Ehlers was rather poor last night despite picking up 2 points. I'll probably be going to Gatineau for a game this series (game 4)

I heard one of his worst. But getting 2 points while playing bad, is not bad :laugh:

He played terrific tonight though, 2+2 and a 1st star in a 6-2W.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I agreed with you up until you said Bennett is the better NHLer. I have much bigger concerns with how Bennett's game translates, than how Reinhart's translates. Beyond the highly transferable and much lauded "hockey IQ", Reinhart plays an incredibly mature game. He's very smart about never going full-on, balls to the wall, but always being effective. He plays the exact same way every time he's on the ice, always at a smooth 90% (or whatever percentage below 100 that you want to quantify it as). He doesn't shy away from contact, but he doesn't blow people up. He doesn't look for a fight, but he never backs down from the nasty stuff. He protects the puck masterfully, but never exposes himself to the big hit. I think this is characteristic of many championship type players.

Bennett on the other hand goes 100%, 100% of the time. That's not the full reason for his effectiveness as he has good sense, great skating and a great shot, but it does contribute quite a bit. I just don't see that as sustainable in the NHL. He can re-learn how to play, or be tamed so-to-speak, but it's not his nature, and it won't be easy. He'll be a good to great player in the NHL, but he won't bring the stability of Reinhart IMO. Reinhart's hockey IQ makes him a top pick, but it's the maturity of his game that will make him elite.

Bennett is also effective because he has great hockey sense, is a great stickhandling and is very shifty (i.e. he is very slick and literally shifts to avoid contact). I think you are badly underestimating Bennett's intelligence. He almost never gets hit hard and believe me, he is heavily targeting every game. I think he'll be fine in the NHL.

Buffalo Warlord

Jul 12, 2013
If I'm ranking the top 3 it would look

Ekblad
Reinhart
Bennett

But I don't like passing on top 6 forwards after drafting Z/Risto and McCabe moving up so give me Reinhart at this point

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
If I'm ranking the top 3 it would look

Ekblad
Reinhart
Bennett

But I don't like passing on top 6 forwards after drafting Z/Risto and McCabe moving up so give me Reinhart at this point

I'm with you. I think we really need to add a top flight forward prospect.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yeah it's good to hear that Murray thinks a change to the lottery system won't happen without several years notice. Of course, that makes the most sense anyway but sense doesn't count with greedy owners and Bettman.

Anyway, now I can go back to penciling in Eichel or Hanifin into my future line-ups.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
NBCSN Schedule For Lottery Night - Tuesday, April 15.

6:30 pm ET-7:00 pm ET- NHL Top 10 - "2013 Playoff Moments"
7:00 pm ET-7:30 pm ET- NHL Top 10 - "Team Rivalries"
7:30 pm ET-8:00 pm ET - NHL Top 10 - "Player Rivalries"
8:00 pm ET-8:30 pm ET - 2014 NHL Draft Lottery - LIVE
8:30 pm ET-9:00 pm ET - NHL Top 10 - "Sochi Olympic Moments"
9:00 pm ET-9:30 pm ET - NHL Top 10 - "American Players"
9:30 pm ET-10:00 pm ET - NHL Top 10 - "Winter Classic Moments"
10:00 pm ET-10:30 pm ET - NHL Top 10 - "Toughest Places to Play"
10:30 pm ET-11:00 pm ET - NHL Top 10 - "Game Winning Moments"

TSN Schedule For Lottery Night - Tuesday, April 15.

7:00 pm ET-8:00 pm ET - 2014 NHL Playoffs Fantasy Draft.
8:00 pm ET-8:30 pm ET - 2014 Scotiabank NHL Draft Lottery.
8:30 pm ET-10:00 pm ET - 2014 NHL Playoffs Preview.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Murray confirms there are four players in consideration at the top. But I thought there was a top 3? So confusing.

Make sure you cover as many players as possible, so when shopping the pick, you get the most possible interest.

Not sure why so many are making so much out of what Mutray says. It's only purpose is in planting seeds, not informing the fans.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Make sure you cover as many players as possible, so when shopping the pick, you get the most possible interest.

Not sure why so many are making so much out of what Mutray says. It's only purpose is in planting seeds, not informing the fans.

Exactly. People are reading too much into what Murray's said in these interviews. He's doing exactly what he should do given the position we are in. Not tipping his hand showing which prospect he prefers at this point.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Exactly. People are reading too much into what Murray's said in these interviews. He's doing exactly what he should do given the position we are in. Not tipping his hand showing which prospect he prefers at this point.

Well, some fans actually believe Murray IS telegraphing his pick... :biglaugh:

Silly rabbits....

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Kids offensive talent is just something you don't see very often, his hands are just unbelievable. The team that drafts him could be getting a grand slam, not very often does a tool set like his not translate to the NHL in some fashion. And before you mention Schremp remember that Ho-Sang can skate circles around him.

Michael Dal Colle, no one in this draft can score goals like him.

Roland McKeown, I believe he is the 2nd best D in the draft.

This guy https://www.youtube.com/user/bigwhite06 makes phenomenal video's.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's definitely Draisaitl. Murray paid him a nice compliment in a recent interview on WGR.

I wouldn't be so sure. Dal Colle is scoring at over 2 pts/game in the playoffs right now. And the WGR compliment? He complimented all five guys he touched on, including Dal Colle.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Would Bennett over Reinhart be bad or acceptable

If Tim Murray walked up on stage and announced our pick as Sam Bennett, Michael Dal Colle or Leon Draisaitl I would be pumped still. It seems so close that it could go anyway if a team likes a player enough. I still think Reinhart is the favorite to be the best forward taken but you never know.

Dal Colle is interesting in the sense he might have the most pure talent in the top tier and maybe the most upside in terms of growing his game and maturity. Apparently he is expected to be Oshawa's 1st line center next year as well. I think that's more in the Islanders pick range though.

Honestly, the only place I hear about this being a two horse race anymore is on here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad