2014 Draft Thread – Part Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Bothers me.

One year we have our best chance at the top overall pick, it figures there is not a consensus shoo in top guy no brainer kind of thing.

Too bad we don't have an excellent scouting department and a GM whose primary strength is in talent evaluation. :sarcasm:
I'm confident Devine and Murray can pick the right player. I'd be happy to have either Sam (not really interested in Ekblad, because I'm very comfortable with Myers, Risto, and Pysyk on the right side going forward).

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Interesting to see Central Scouting stick to its guns on Bennett. You could show me anyone winning the lottery and I wouldn't be sure how to project the top 3 going in this draft.

Very interesting. Also so, is that the consensus from the poll is all Reinhart. The top 3 really could go any which way, and I'll be happy no matter what happens. But I'd like to see Bennett in the B&G

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Very interesting. Also so, is that the consensus from the poll is all Reinhart. The top 3 really could go any which way, and I'll be happy no matter what happens. But I'd like to see Bennett in the B&G

I'm greedy.

If Snow gives up the pick this year, I want Murray to wheel and deal and land both Sams.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If Linus Soderstrom is related to Tommy and he will bring this back, I want him on the Sabres!

Cage1.jpg

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Listening to Murray talk about the types of players he wants, you come away saying Bennett is the pick.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Should we smokescreen interest in Ekblad in hope Edmonton with the #2 pick trades up one spot and gives up another pick or player to us. We'd still get the Sam we want(preferably Bennett) and then still have another pick in the top 5.

Or do you guys just wanna be number 1 and get the joy of being #1

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Should we smokescreen interest in Ekblad in hope Edmonton with the #2 pick trades up one spot and gives up another pick or player to us. We'd still get the Sam we want(preferably Bennett) and then still have another pick in the top 5.

I'll get back to you in a week. :)

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

Take youre guy at 1.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
still loves me some Bennet, he's got the type of game I want to see

also building more love for Dal Colle, I love having my top line players being good enough in their own zone that they are on the PK as well, still want Isles 2015 but if hes my consolation prize, double thumb guns

last questions I'm still looking at; mid round defensive defenders with nastiness and the token goalie pick. With our depth in middle 6 forwards and stacked D prospects would you take a shot at a goalie early in the second or maybe even sooner? Say we go into the draft with BUF 2, Isle 5, STL 28; Bennet/Dal Colle/McDonald

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Listening to Murray talk about the types of players he wants, you come away saying Bennett is the pick.

Or Draisitl(sp) perhaps, if he's looking for the big body. The way I've heard him talk about hockey IQ has be thinking Reinhart all the way though.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Depends how split your staff is. If 80% have the same guy at #1, you stay put. If it is more divided, make a move.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

If they can get the guy they want AND add an asset, then do it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Or Draisitl(sp) perhaps, if he's looking for the big body. The way I've heard him talk about hockey IQ has be thinking Reinhart all the way though.

There are great reasons to pick either Sam at 1/2 and to pick MDC or LD if the Isles give up their pick and they are on the board.

I like Reinhart's IQ and Bennett's fire. So, I'll be excited if they draft either guy.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
personally, I can careless about rankings. The only opinions that matter to Buffalo are those from the scouts and Management employed by the organization. Unless they want to start releasing names on who they talk to, I put no weight into what they say.

bluengold72

Jul 18, 2013
north tonawanda
the closer we get to dreaft day the less i'd like the sabres to pick reinhart. it seems his whole claim to the top spot is his "hockey iq" i hope that is not the same great hockey iq that cody hodgson has because his is no better than half the scrubs playing on our roster right now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
the closer we get to dreaft day the less i'd like the sabres to pick reinhart. it seems his whole claim to the top spot is his "hockey iq" i hope that is not the same great hockey iq that cody hodgson has because his is no better than half the scrubs playing on our roster right now.

If you want to be pessimistic, then Bennett is Steve Ott and Reinhart is Cody Hodgson.

I would be stunned if Bennett and Reinhart had careers like those two.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Reinhart is a MUCH more talented player than Hodgson. Think Giroux, not Hodgson.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
So Bennett is Doug Gilmour and Reinhart is Adam Oates.

I would take Oates just because I hate Gilmour for his cheap shot on Varada :sarcasm:

Seriously though,it looks like Bennett has just one elite season in the O.I know junior stats aren't the end all be all but Bennett prior to his draft eligible year he had only one season in the OHL where he only put up 40 points in 60 games.Compare that to Sam Reinhart, who put up 62 points in 67 games as a 16/17 year old,85 points in in 72 games last year and then 105 in 60 in his draft eligible year.Reinhart has 2 seasons of well over a ppg and also a near ppg in his first full year in the WHL.Bennett had a .66 ppg his first year and then he had his great year this season as a draft eligible.I just think Reinhart has more of a pedigree and proven success.It does worry me that Bennett literally only has 1 great year compared to Reinhart's 3.Even this year Reinhart had a higher ppg in a much more physical league.Obviously I will take the scouts word on them ranking Bennett #1 but when it comes to the prospects being that close to each other,I want to take the guy who has had multiple seasons of high end production, not just one halfway decent rookie season and a great draft eligible year compared to a near ppg rookie season and 2 elite production seasons.Reinhart being a 95 probably has something to do with it,but enough to make him fall behind Bennett?

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Reinhart is a MUCH more talented player than Hodgson. Think Giroux, not Hodgson.
Rinehart is more of a Toews or a Lecavalier they say. Giroux's too offensively gifted, but I think Bennett's all around fire, and talent sets him away from Rinehart. It's a win, win either pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad