2014 Draft Thread – Part Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Continued from Part One, Part Two and Part Three.

2014 NHL Draft set for June 27-28 in Philadelphia:
The 2014 NHL Draft will be held over two days, Friday June 27, and Saturday, June 28, it was announced today by the NHL and the Philadelphia Flyers, the host Club of next year's NHL Draft.

The event will take place at the Wells Fargo Center, home of the Flyers. NHL club executives, scouts and coaches will be present on the NHL Draft floor while more than 10,000 fans and 500 print, television and radio media are expected to attend. It will be the first time the city and facility will host the NHL Draft.

header-350x60-draft-guides-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

DRAFT GUIDE ROUNDUP

January Rankings

CSS, Future Considerations ($), Hockey Prospect ($), ISS, McKeen's ($), Pronman ($), RLR, THW, TSN Button, TSN McKenzie (video).

Junior Resources

Buzzing the Net, DraftSite, ESPN ($), Future Considerations ($), HF, Hockey News, Hockey Prospect ($), Hockey
Prospectus, Hockey Writers, Last Word on Sports, McKeen's ($), NEHJ, NHL.com, OHL Prospects, OHL Writers,
Pipeline Show, Red Line Report ($), Reel Hockey Scouting ($), Scout.ca ($), Scouting Report, Sportsnet, TSN,
World of Junior Hockey, WHL From Above.

Mock Drafts (Tally – More Mocks)​
header-350x60-draft-preview-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

CSS 2014 ONES TO WATCH

"A" Players (aka potential first-round picks)

PLAYER|TEAM|POS|HT|WT|HF|YT|MEDIAWATCH

Barbashev, Ivan |Moncton|LW|6.01|185| HF |-| 10/3 Bennett, Sam |Kingston|LW|6.00|178| HF | YT | 10/24 Clarke, Blake |North Bay|LW|6.01|197| HF | YT | 9/27 Dal Colle, Michael |Oshawa|LW|6.02|179| HF | YT | 9/19 , 10/5 , 10/25 De Leo, Chase |Portland|LC|5.09|177|-|-| 9/27 , 10/17 Demko, Thatcher |Boston College|G|6.04|182| HF |-|-

Draisaitl, Leon |Prince Albert|LC|6.02|208| HF | YT | 9/9 , 9/26 Ekblad, Aaron |Barrie|RD|6.04|216| HF | YT | 9/11 Fleury, Haydn |Red Deer|LD|6.03|198| HF | YT | 10/12 Ho Sang, Josh |Windsor|RW|5.11|166| HF |-| 8/20 , 10/11 Honka, Julius |Swift Current|RD|5.10|167| HF |-| 10/1 , 10/3 , 10/24 Kapanen, Kasperi |Kalpa|RW|5.11|172| HF |-| 9/23 Kempe, Adrian |Modo Jr.|LW|6.02|187| HF |-| 8/28 Larkin, Dylan |USNTDP|LC|6.01|190|-|-| 9/27 ; College: Michigan

Martin, Brycen |Swift Current|LD|6.02|184| HF |-|-

McCann, Jared |Sault Ste. Marie|LC|6.00|179| HF |-| 8/14 , 10/4 McKeown, Roland |Kingston|RD|6.01|197|-| YT | 8/28 , 10/5 Milano, Sonny |USNTDP|LW|6.00|183|-|-| 7/31 , 9/27 ; College: Notre Dame

Mistele, Matt|Plymouth|LW|6.02|190|-|[URL="http://youtu.be/qkct8EXrmjU"]YT | 9/23 Nedeljkovic, Alex |Plymouth|G|6.00|184| HF |-| 10/1 , 10/8 Nylander, William |Rogle|RC|5.11|169| HF |-| 9/5 Pastrnak, David |Sodertalje|RW|6.00|167| HF |-|-

Reinhart, Sam |Kootenay|RC|6.01|185| HF | YT | 7/10 , 9/2 , 9/11 , 10/10 Ritchie, Nick |Peteborough|LW|6.02|231|-| YT | 10/21 , 2/15 Schmaltz, Nick |Green Bay|RC|6.00|172|-|-| 9/27 ; College: North Dakota

Virtanen, Jake |Calgary|LW|6.01|208| HF | YT | 10/22 , 10/24 Vrana, Jakub [/URL]|Linkoping|LW|5.11|185|-|-|-

Watson, Spencer |Kingston|RW|5.10|166|-|-|-
** Again, copied for now, but I'll update this table at some point with McKenzie's list **​

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
LD on fire 4 points tonight. At 103 points on the year, Reinhart also at 100 points on the year tonight with an assist.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Draisitl had a great 2nd half. Should be a top 5 pick, maybe even top 3 depending on the team.

Yep, I like him as well. Have watched him 3-4 times this year. I still like Reinhart more though. But I will be happy with Reinhart, Bennett, or LD. Seeing as you watch Bennett more than most, who would you compare him to in the modern NHL. I know most compare to Gilmour, but it would be nice to get a modern day comparison.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Yep, I like him as well. Have watched him 3-4 times this year. I still like Reinhart more though. But I will be happy with Reinhart, Bennett, or LD. Seeing as you watch Bennett more than most, who would you compare him to in the modern NHL. I know most compare to Gilmour, but it would be nice to get a modern day comparison.

Jonathan Toews. 3 zone player like Toews. Every game hes a game changer like Toews. When the game is on the line in the 3rd period, Bennett is the one generating all the chances willing his team to victory like Toews. He can beat you in every situation, PK, PP and he makes his team go just like Toews. Will he become the leader toews is? Thats tough to say, Toews is the best leader in the game today, but Bennett will become a great leader as well imo. Bennett is a guy you build you're franchise around and will be one of the major reasons you're team will win the cup. His compete level and will to win is Toews like. Hes the best player in this draft IMO and I hope buffalo picks him 1st.

Edit: I hate making comparisons tho, because everyone can have a different opinion and not everyone turns into the pro player they try to compare a junior player to.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I wonder if Kasperi Kapanen is still feeling the hit Sami took by Darcy Tucker LOL

That hit was brutal. I was a big fan of Kapanen's game. I like what I see from his son though I have watched less SM-Liiga this season than I have in years. It'll be interesting to watch the parallel careers of Nylander and Kapanen over the years; both sons of very good NHLers, both smaller players with a ton of skill.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Draisaitl's playoff chances took a hit last night when Brandon stole a win in Regina. If the Wheat Kings can get even one point when they host Regina tonight, Prince Albert can't pass them. If Red Deer can earn at least a split vs Edmonton in their home-and-home (not an easy task), Red Deer makes the playoffs, as well.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Jonathan Toews. 3 zone player like Toews. Every game hes a game changer like Toews. When the game is on the line in the 3rd period, Bennett is the one generating all the chances willing his team to victory like Toews. He can beat you in every situation, PK, PP and he makes his team go just like Toews. Will he become the leader toews is? Thats tough to say, Toews is the best leader in the game today, but Bennett will become a great leader as well imo. Bennett is a guy you build you're franchise around and will be one of the major reasons you're team will win the cup. His compete level and will to win is Toews like. Hes the best player in this draft IMO and I hope buffalo picks him 1st.

Edit: I hate making comparisons tho, because everyone can have a different opinion and not everyone turns into the pro player they try to compare a junior player to.

Kind of funny, but i'd compare Reinhart to Toews.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Kind of funny, but i'd compare Reinhart to Toews.

Ya alot of people do. Reinhart is going to be an awesome player as well, but I dont see him being as much of game changer as Bennett. Also Reinhart doesnt have Toews/Bennett explosive skating and speed IMO. Again I havent seen alot of Reinhart and I would be happy with any Sam on this team, I just hope its Bennett :)

ZeroPT*

I've always thought reinhart was more of a Zetterberg/Bergeron type than Toews

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I've always thought reinhart was more of a Zetterberg/Bergeron type than Toews

I agree, but still think Reinhart is more like Toews that Bennett. That's not me insulting Bennett, just a comment on style.

Edit: with that said, i haven't come up with a good comparison for Bennett.

ZeroPT*

I agree, but still think Reinhart is more like Toews that Bennett. That's not me insulting Bennett, just a comment on style.

Edit: with that said, i haven't come up with a good comparison for Bennett.

he put up numbers like Duchene/Seguin but I think he'll translate to a better offensive version of Mike Richards

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
GMs want lottery for top 3-5 spots. Per Friedman.

That's flat out stupid, imagine going through this year and picking 6th.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
It's not just McDavid what they are talking about. They are saying picks 1/2/3/4/5 will potentially all be determined by a lottery.

Did Friedman address any of this: When are they going to revisit the discussion and when could this potentially change? Would it be only non-playoff teams or all teams competing for the top 5 spots? Would the worst teams still have the best chances at each? Either way, it's terrible timing for the Sabres.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Did Friedman address any of this: When are they going to revisit the discussion and when could this potentially change? Would it be only non-playoff teams or all teams competing for the top 5 spots? Would the worst teams still have the best chances at each? Either way, it's terrible timing for the Sabres.

Didn't get that specific. But, I cannot see too many owners or even the league being overly excited about it. It could very well hurt the parity in the league.

The thing is, we are literally the only team in the NHL that is almost guaranteed to be one of the three worst teams next year. Of course GMs like Burke, Poile and others will b4 this.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Didn't get that specific. But, I cannot see too many owners or even the league being overly excited about it. It could very well hurt the parity in the league.

The thing is, we are literally the only team in the NHL that is almost guaranteed to be one of the three worst teams next year. Of course GMs like Burke, Poile and others will b4 this.

I could see the owners being for it too because good teams see it as an opportunity to get better on the backs of the bad teams. Unfortunately, there are plenty more teams in the middle than at the bottom, and the teams in the middle all want a chance for the top picks. I could see Bettman not liking it, though, because if teams have no chance to climb out of the basement, it's going to kill a lot of markets.

That's another reason I want the Islander's pick this year. I'm not banking on anything being a given in 2015. There's some screwy stuff on the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany