Not open for further replies.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
YOU FORGOT ABOUT GRIGS

mikhail_grigorenko_buffalo.jpg

Can Greg O Ranko participate? Or has he played in too many NHL games?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Guys like Ennis and Myers have participated with 2 full seasons under their belt AFAIK. I think that generally all guys on their ELC's go.

Isn't it, then, more of a general, gentlemans agreement that you don't stack the traverse city roster with NHLers on ELC's? Something like that... I know I've read something that has alluded to that sort of whisper.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Guys like Ennis and Myers have participated with 2 full seasons under their belt AFAIK. I think that generally all guys on their ELC's go.

I thought I was the only one on here that doesn't sleep... But you might be right there with me in te no sleep til Brooklyn department ...no?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Isn't it, then, more of a general, gentlemans agreement that you don't stack the traverse city roster with NHLers on ELC's? Something like that... I know I've read something that has alluded to that sort of whisper.

Traverse City is different, there are many rules for those rosters. I always forget them, but I think even AHL games played counts against you. Then on top of that, NCAA guys can't participate because they have classes by then.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Fasching/Carrier - Reinhart - Armia
Fasching/Carrier - Larsson - Baptiste
Barbashev LOLSZYX - Compher - Bailey
???

If this is a Traverse City lineup then the college and European players are already gone to their teams to start the season so Fashing and Compher won't be available and Armia probably has too much pro experience to be allowed to participate.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
If this is a Traverse City lineup then the college and European players are already gone to their teams to start the season so Fashing and Compher won't be available and Armia probably has too much pro experience to be allowed to participate.

Armia will be able to. He has 0 NHL experience and that's what matters. Luke Adam played with a ton of AHL experience previously.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
We might be able to field two competitve teams in Traverse ...heh

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
After looking back at the 2013 development camp roster, here are my early thoughts on the 2014 roster:
  • Goalies: I'm thinking there'll be 4-5 goalies and I'd expect at least three of the five previous goalies to be in attendance (Makarov, Petersen, Ullmark). The health of Lieuwen (concussion) remains unclear and could push that number to four if he's symptom-free. Knapp's the fifth goalie from last summer and has seen his ELC expire, so he's "graduated" from the camp roster regardless if he's re-signed or not. Lastly, add a 2014 draft pick to that mix of four to make for potentially five goalies.
  • Defense: I'm thinking there'll be 12 defensemen again and I'd expect three LHD (Austin, McCabe, Zadorov) and four RHD (Florentino, Gauthier-Leduc, Pysyk, Ristolainen) to return. This will leave room for five draft picks and/or invites. Not expected to return are: Czuczman (NYI), MacKenzie (grad), McNabb (LAK), and Ruhwedel (grad). Adams didn't attend last year and I wouldn't expect him there this year either.
  • Forwards: I'm thinking there'll be 24 forwards, enough to roll eight lines, with up to 17 returning (Bailey, Baptiste, Catenacci, Compher, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Hurley, Isackson, Jacobs, Kea, Locke, Malone, Navin, Peterson, Possler, Sundher, Varone). I can see Girgensons (grad) and Possler (knee) being excused though, with five probable additions in Armia (excused), Carrier (acquired), Fasching (acquired), Larsson (excused), and Schaller (injured). Not expected to return are: Nelson (UFA) and Parker (LAK).
Buffalo has eight draft picks to supplement the roster projections above, so it'll be another lean year of invites (4-6) to fill a roster of 40 or so. The Prospects thread aggregating all 2014 NHL summer camp invites can be found here. Looking back, Buffalo invited these five players last year:
  • Andrew Black: 2013-14 Colgate Univ. NCAA 38 8 6 14 20 -4
  • Kevin Czuczman: 2013-14 Lake Superior State Univ. NCAA 36 10 11 21 73 -7; New York Islanders NHL 13 0 2 2 14 -5
  • Tyler Gjurich: 2013-14 San Francisco Bulls ECHL 2 0 0 0 -5 0; Columbus Cottonmouths SPHL 3 0 1 1 0 -4; Nipissing Univ. CIS 4 1 1 2 2
  • Alex Iafallo: 2013-14 Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth NCAA 36 11 11 22 10 -1
  • Alex Lepkowski: 2013-14 Rochester Americans AHL 8 0 0 0 0 0; Greenville Road Warriors ECHL 1 0 0 0 0 0; Oshawa Generals OHL 25 0 4 4 37 0
As previously noted, Czuczman signed an ELC with the NYI, so he won't be back, and I wouldn't expect Gjurich back either. I could see Black, Iafallo, or Lepkowski getting invites again, but with the change at GM, there could be others targeted for invites. Some of the WNY'ers vying for invites could be: goalies Steve Racine (Michigan, NCAA) and Mike Rotolo (RIT, NCAA); defensemen Christopher Bradley (RPI, NCAA) and Vincent Muto (Niagara, NCAA); and forwards Cole Bardreau (Cornell, NCAA) and Mark Zengerle (Wisconsin, NCAA).
To add to this overview post-draft, we now know Buffalo have seven forwards, one LHD, and one goalie incoming, so they may not need to invite any more forwards or goalies. With eight projected defenseman (4 LHD + 4 RHD), perhaps they look to invite the local kids who went undrafted in Frank Hora (RHD) and Nate Billitier (LHD).

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

I know season ticket holders got free tickets to the game. Although at this point we haven't got a email with a link where we can get our free tickets. (If we are getting free ones, email should be sent out this week.) Of course, the Sabres haven't been good to me when it comes to sending out stuff via email so STHers may have already got the free ticket email and they skip me. (I didn't get the email last year and had to have someone here send me the link to the free ticket offer.)

Wonder if they do that deal again with the Bisons? Although it would have to be for a game later this season and not for the game the next day as the Bisons are on the road that week.

If STHers get free tickets - I'll probably offer them up to someone on here as I doubt I'll be able to attend the game. I should know later this week if we can move our soccer practice or not.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Connor Boland's another potential invite Bakes reminded me about, as the Peterborough defenseman was invited to Traverse City and training camp last year. Still, no invites announced yet though.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
I'll definitely be there this year, just don't know what days until I get my schedule. Will also be enjoying good beer and food before or after at lagerhaus 95 if anyone wants to meet up. Was great meeting Chain and Rob Paxon last year to compare sabres notes and stories.

I'll be taking notes and posting as well. Will probably run twitter updates again as well.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
If STHers get free tickets - I'll probably offer them up to someone on here as I doubt I'll be able to attend the game. I should know later this week if we can move our soccer practice or not.

Good news, the soccer practice was canceled. Bad news, it was canceled because we are now making up a soccer match that was postponed a few weeks ago due to a huge rain/lighting storm. The soccer match is at 6:45 pm ET so no way I can attend the hockey game. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to attend one of the practices - if not, another year where I can't get down there for a practice/the game.

No word yet on if the Sabres will be selling tickets to the game and if so, if STHers get free tickets or not.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad