Prospect Info: 2014 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc. part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1605507

ADIRONDACK PHANTOMS' (AHL) INFORMATION AND MEDIA COVERAGE
Name | Link
Adirondack Phantoms (Facebook) | http://www.facebook.com/ADKhockey
Adirondack Phantoms (Twitter) | https://twitter.com/PhantomsHockey
Allentown Morning Call | http://www.mcall.com/sports/hockey/flyers/
Glens Falls Post-Star (Phantoms' AHL coverage) | http://poststar.com/app/sports/phantoms/
Glens Falls Post-Star (Phantoms' Blog) | http://poststar.com/blogs/phantoms_forum/
Glens Falls Post-Star (Diana Nearhos' Twitter) | https://twitter.com/dianacnearhos
Lehigh Valley Phantoms (new arena 2014-15 season) | http://phantomsarena.com/News.html
Lehigh Valley Phantoms (Twitter)| https://twitter.com/LVPhantoms
WNYQ (Bob Rotruck's Twitter) | https://twitter.com/BobRotruck

Philadelphia Flyers' Prospects Information

Last edited by a moderator:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Carry over from the previous thread

From what I understand Alt didn't want to sign with them. I really don't' know why but I remember reading or hearing that things soured.

Still, they got nothing in return basically. I'm sure they could have at least got a conditional pick or something.
I dont get it from CAR POV

I know they wanted to trade Boucher because he lost the back-up role, but why package him with a defenseman with a future for a useless AHLer?

Yeah IDK. It's not like Boucher had a contract beyond that year either. Oh well. I'll take it.

Most yes. He has similar numbers to Read and Flanagan in the NCAA. Similar size player compared to those two also, well Read was bigger when signed but he was also three years older.

Numbers definitely don't tell the whole story. Like I said in my other post Flanagan was a Hobey Baker finalist and had slightly better numbers in the NCAA but he hasn't and most definitely won't amount to anything in the NHL. Take it for what it's worth.

His size is definitely an obstacle. I've never seen him so I can't say more then that. I imagine seeing him in the AHL will give us a better idea. Watching Read play in the AHL it was evident he was the best player on the ice every game and the points came too.

Goumas also played in a more competitive conference than those two guys. His numbers are similar to Spencer Abbott who signed with the Leafs a couple years ago also out of Hockey East. Abbott has produced well at the AHL level, but hasn't made an impact at the NHL level yet, which is the case for a lot of undersized guys. If they can't crack the lineup in a scoring role, they are pretty useless. It's worth a shot though. You may catch lightning in a bottle. The thing that sets Read apart from the rest is that can play a lot of different roles: PK, PP, scoring line, shutdown line, point on the PP, C, LW, RW. He does it all. Another thing is his skating. A lot of smaller guys aren't strong skaters. Read is a great skater.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Goumas also played in a more competitive conference than those two guys. His numbers are similar to Spencer Abbott who signed with the Leafs a couple years ago also out of Hockey East. Abbott has produced well at the AHL level, but hasn't made an impact at the NHL level yet, which is the case for a lot of undersized guys. If they can't crack the lineup in a scoring role, they are pretty useless. It's worth a shot though. You may catch lightning in a bottle. The thing that sets Read apart from the rest is that can play a lot of different roles: PK, PP, scoring line, shutdown line, point on the PP, C, LW, RW. He does it all. Another thing is his skating. A lot of smaller guys aren't strong skaters. Read is a great skater.

Read's also pretty strong along to boards for a guy his size (which probably has a lot to do with his skating as well).

I would love to have him. He would also add a right handed shot to our defensive prospects.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Hope Stolarz learns from his much deserved incoming suspension. I have no issue with a slash there to defend your turf, but going up high like that is bush league IMO.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
to say Folin compares to OEL is a pretty boneheaded statement...

I'm pretty sure that comparison is based on style not talent. I don't know if it's accurate or not since I haven't watched either of them play much but it's not crazy to compare normal players to much better players if it's strictly about playing style.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I'm pretty sure that comparison is based on style not talent. I don't know if it's accurate or not since I haven't watched either of them play much but it's not crazy to compare normal players to much better players if it's strictly about playing style.

I get that, but "He compares favorably to Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson." Is a pretty tactless statement, considering OEL is one of the best defensemen in the game.

RJ8812*

Hope Stolarz learns from his much deserved incoming suspension. I have no issue with a slash there to defend your turf, but going up high like that is bush league IMO.

meh, looks like the player embellished it

Stolarz doesnt slash him, he just swats at him with the flat side of his stick. I've been "slashed" harder in the head and it didnt hurt

regardless, dumb move by him

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
meh, looks like the player embellished it

Stolarz doesnt slash him, he just swats at him with the flat side of his stick. I've been "slashed" harder in the head and it didnt hurt

regardless, dumb move by him

The act of embellishment shouldn't factor into an absolutely stupid move by Stolarz. It's one thing to bring your stick up and make contact with an opponent's head in a scrum or in a purely reactionary move, but Stolarz chose his target and hit him while Ho-Sang was skating away. That warrants at least 3 games, to me. I can't believe he only got 2 minutes given the ref was in a perfect position to see the hit. In this same series, the Spitfires have lost Cristiano DiGiacinto for 5 games for bullying, so a precedent has been set on suspensions during these playoffs.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Absolutely stupid play, I agree, but that wasn't a "slash" at all. More of a whack to his helmet.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Absolutely stupid play, I agree, but that wasn't a "slash" at all. More of a whack to his helmet.

I know fans want to make it seem like their players are infallible, but when you swing your stick upwards in the direction of a players head, particularly but not only a player skating away from you, you are going so far outside the balance of reasonable aggression that it should be universally dismissed as unacceptable.

Let's not even pretend that the slash that Ho Sang put on Stolarz was all that aggressive and it shouldn't have percipitated anything remotely resembling Stolarz's response. As Bill Meltzer said in a tweet last night, that action is indefensible.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Yeah if Stolarz wanted Ho-Sang to get out of his face he could have just given him a shove or something. The stick to the back of the head is completely unnecessary and dangerous. He's lucky Ho-Sang wasn't seriously injured.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Still, they got nothing in return basically. I'm sure they could have at least got a conditional pick or something.

It really is a head scratcher. They basically threw away a 2nd round pick.

Oh, I agree. He's definitely worth a shot but he doesn't have all the things that make Read so successful, and he's even smaller. I'm just advocating that people temper their expectations.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
You can't honestly say Stolarz was aiming for his head. You have to take into account the weight of a goalie stick. Did he mean to slash him? Yes. Did he mean to slash him in the head? Doubt it.

RJ8812*

You can't honestly say Stolarz was aiming for his head. You have to take into account the weight of a goalie stick. Did he mean to slash him? Yes. Did he mean to slash him in the head? Doubt it.

well, those excuses work for James Neal and he always gets off, so why not?

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Yeah, that was absolutely a dumb move by Stolarz. I was really looking forward to seeing how he'd play in this years playoffs, too.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

I don't think it was meant for the head either but still, it happened. You just can't do that kind of crap anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad