2014-2015 WHL Regular season talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Just excited to see playoff hockey back at the CN. It'll be a pretty packed barn I think, just under 3000 last game I believe and more will come out for playoffs that's for sure.

Can't wait.

Me thinks your right. I would not be surprised at 5k+ crowds. Honestly, competitive playoff games could go a long way for next year's attendance numbers.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Me thinks your right. I would not be surprised at 5k+ crowds. Honestly, competitive playoff games could go a long way for next year's attendance numbers.

A lot depends on how they play too. On home openers every year it's always hard to get a ticket, and then some promotional nights like when Kirk McLean was here and now Rogers Hometown Hockey is here this weekend.

The rest of the time it's pretty empty. Just need a winning, or half decent product.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
A lot depends on how they play too. On home openers every year it's always hard to get a ticket, and then some promotional nights like when Kirk McLean was here and now Rogers Hometown Hockey is here this weekend.

The rest of the time it's pretty empty. Just need a winning, or half decent product.

There has been a few games over the years that have been the "hot ticket"

Even home openers over the last few years have struggled to get to 4k.

I imagine that they could probably avg 3200-3500 next year. Given, like you said, the product is good.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
There has been a few games over the years that have been the "hot ticket"

Even home openers over the last few years have struggled to get to 4k.

I imagine that they could probably avg 3200-3500 next year. Given, like you said, the product is good.

Maybe not 4K, but the arena is pretty full, and it's always pretty loud too. Wish it was like that every game, but people just don't have the energy to go cheer on a team that isn't a good product after they're done work.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Maybe not 4K, but the arena is pretty full, and it's always pretty loud too. Wish it was like that every game, but people just don't have the energy to go cheer on a team that isn't a good product after they're done work.

As long as the new ownership stays the course, I think they have a good core to work with.

Obviously they are building for 2 years form now when Harkins and Co. are 19. but I think next year could be a really fun year too.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
As long as the new ownership stays the course, I think they have a good core to work with.

Obviously they are building for 2 years form now when Harkins and Co. are 19. but I think next year could be a really fun year too.

Yes it'll be entertaining to watch, and I'll definitely attend more games next year. I've been to more Spruce Kings games instead. A lot of the crowd depends on how the PGSK do as well. At some points last year, they were getting as many people as the Cougars. As soon as the PGSK were eliminated this week, their more diehard fanbase was at the Cats games.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Yes it'll be entertaining to watch, and I'll definitely attend more games next year. I've been to more Spruce Kings games instead. A lot of the crowd depends on how the PGSK do as well. At some points last year, they were getting as many people as the Cougars. As soon as the PGSK were eliminated this week, their more diehard fanbase was at the Cats games.

Ive only been to 1 Kings game since I moved here 3 years ago.

I've been wondering about Brogan Obrien. Cougars trading Braid to KEL for his rights. It seemed like he had made his mind up about going the college route and the Citizen had an article about him planning to commit within a couple weeks (from when the article was written, which was right after the trade.) Then there were crickets. I'm wondering if the Cougars were able to convince him to give Major Junior a shot.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ive only been to 1 Kings game since I moved here 3 years ago.

I've been wondering about Brogan Obrien. Cougars trading Braid to KEL for his rights. It seemed like he had made his mind up about going the college route and the Citizen had an article about him planning to commit within a couple weeks (from when the article was written, which was right after the trade.) Then there were crickets. I'm wondering if the Cougars were able to convince him to give Major Junior a shot.

They're entertaining to watch, you should check them out next year! I'm also curious...maybe something is up there because I don't believe he has committed yet, and don't believe anything is on the horizon that I have heard of from media or from players on the team (I'm friends with a good chunk of them).

Perhaps they've swayed him to join them?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Anyways, a bit offtopic now, but I'll be heading to the Cats game tomorrow night. Hoping for a win to clinch that playoff berth!

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Anyways, a bit offtopic now, but I'll be heading to the Cats game tomorrow night. Hoping for a win to clinch that playoff berth!

As will I!

I know Kamloops will be playing hard, they still need to beat out TC, and possibly hope for a tie with the Cougars. I hope the Cats come out with as much energy as Wednesday night.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
As will I!

I know Kamloops will be playing hard, they still need to beat out TC, and possibly hope for a tie with the Cougars. I hope the Cats come out with as much energy as Wednesday night.

What does Kamloops need to do to clinch? Just get more points than TC at this point?

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
What does Kamloops need to do to clinch? Just get more points than TC at this point?

That's one way. There are a couple scenarios.

If KAM wins both games remaining against PG that would tie them on points, but PG wins the tiebreaker on wins, except, if TC ends up getting 5 points from there last 3 games. PG and KAM would ahve a Play-in game hosted at CN for the "last" playoff spot.

If PG gets 1 point from the remaining two games then KAM would have to get more points than TC. If they end up tied they will have a Play-in game played at Toyota Center in Kenniwick.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
That's one way. There are a couple scenarios.

If KAM wins both games remaining against PG that would tie them on points, but PG wins the tiebreaker on wins, except, if TC ends up getting 5 points from there last 3 games. PG and KAM would ahve a Play-in game hosted at CN for the "last" playoff spot.

If PG gets 1 point from the remaining two games then KAM would have to get more points than TC. If they end up tied they will have a Play-in game played at Toyota Center in Kenniwick.

I'm almost hoping for that play-in game at CN just for how crazy of a game it would be. :laugh: I'll take one more point though just to get in for sure.

We are most likely to match up with Everett? Or is it Kelowna?

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I'm almost hoping for that play-in game at CN just for how crazy of a game it would be. :laugh: I'll take one more point though just to get in for sure.

We are most likely to match up with Everett? Or is it Kelowna?

Victoria Actually, The playoff format is identical to the NHL's so 2 vs 3 in both divisions and then the wildcards play the two top teams.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Victoria Actually, The playoff format is identical to the NHL's so 2 vs 3 in both divisions and then the wildcards play the two top teams.

Oh crap, I knew that and somehow still said the wrong teams. :laugh: Seeing Forsberg back here for a playoff round should be a treat haha.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman

Yup.

I cant be the only one who hates this set up. Brandon plays Edmonton in the first round, while Regina plays Swift Current. Yet Swift is a much worse team with less points.

I feel if you finish at the top, you deserve the weak opponent. None of this "division rival series" crap.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
It'll be interesting to see which first round series Shaw decides to pick up. IMO, if Kelowna ends up playing Kamloops, that is the easy one to choose. But if that doesn't happen, I would imagine they would go with the Regina series (whoever they end up playing.)

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Yup.

I cant be the only one who hates this set up. Brandon plays Edmonton in the first round, while Regina plays Swift Current. Yet Swift is a much worse team with less points.

I feel if you finish at the top, you deserve the weak opponent. None of this "division rival series" crap.

Yes, I'm not a huge fan of it. I would prefer the traditional, even though PG is benefiting from it this year.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Ouf. The Wheat Kings wouldn't be in good shape without Papirny in the playoffs. He was out with illness today so they played Moodie. They lost 7-6 (SO), which included 3 GA in 30 seconds :facepalm:

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Ouf. The Wheat Kings wouldn't be in good shape without Papirny in the playoffs. He was out with illness today so they played Moodie. They lost 7-6 (SO), which included 3 GA in 30 seconds :facepalm:

It is a good thing they have Papirny. How was Brandon done vs Edmonton this year?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
It is a good thing they have Papirny. How was Brandon done vs Edmonton this year?

They are 3-1 vs the Oil this year.

5-2 EDM
7-4 BDN
5-4 BDN
2-1 BDN

Brandon took the season series, but Edmonton was never easy. I was at the 7-4 win and Jarry had an off night.

I think goaltending will be the story of this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad