2014-2015 WHL Regular season talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I agree. The games I have seen him play he has been one of the best players on the ice.

Shocking that he is only 16. You think he makes the NHL as a 18 year old? it is possible, but if he doesnt, Vancouver could get a haul for him.

The Wheat Kings are still benefiting from the Schenn trade, would be same scenario here.

Yup. The Schenn trade got a player who has put up 104 points so far this season. It was a great trade for sure (although KM doesn't seem to make many bad ones).

What would the asking price be for Benson? Trying to think of what it would take to get him on Brandon. Patrick, Clague, Kaspick and Benson would be a damn good group for years to come. Would make Brandon a Memorial Cup contender for at least 2 more years IMO.

I'm assuming it would be built around a 1st? :dunno: I have a feeling Mattheos would be asked for.

Hordichuk_24

Yup. The Schenn trade got a player who has put up 104 points so far this season. It was a great trade for sure (although KM doesn't seem to make many bad ones).

What would the asking price be for Benson? Trying to think of what it would take to get him on Brandon. Patrick, Clague, Kaspick and Benson would be a damn good group for years to come. Would make Brandon a Memorial Cup contender for at least 2 more years IMO.

I'm assuming it would be built around a 1st? :dunno: I have a feeling Mattheos would be asked for.

A lot of things would have to fall into place in order for that possibility to become a reality. For starters I don't think the Giants would trade Benson under almost any circumstances. I just used that as an example as I don't believe the Giants will have a foundation good enough to win during his tenure in the league. If such a situation presented itself the Giants would have to be completely out of the playoff picture and certain Benson wouldn't return the follow season before even considering such a trade. And by that point some of those players you mentioned on Brandon would possibly be in the same boat as Benson. A 1st round pick would be a given. And probably whichever top 17 year old prospect (or two) in Brandon's system. I wouldn't be surprised if more draft picks were necessary as well. Although the Giants are terrible at drafting. They might be better off asking for more developed players.

Of course this is all hypothetical. I really don't think they will move Benson unless they are bottom feeders next season (and possibly the year after if Benson doesn't stick in the NHL).

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
A lot of things would have to fall into place in order for that possibility to become a reality. For starters I don't think the Giants would trade Benson under almost any circumstances. I just used that as an example as I don't believe the Giants will have a foundation good enough to win during his tenure in the league. If such a situation presented itself the Giants would have to be completely out of the playoff picture and certain Benson wouldn't return the follow season before even considering such a trade. And by that point some of those players you mentioned on Brandon would possibly be in the same boat as Benson. A 1st round pick would be a given. And probably whichever top 17 year old prospect (or two) in Brandon's system. I wouldn't be surprised if more draft picks were necessary as well. Although the Giants are terrible at drafting. They might be better off asking for more developed players.

Of course this is all hypothetical. I really don't think they will move Benson unless they are bottom feeders next season (and possibly the year after if Benson doesn't stick in the NHL).

This of course would all be assuming they stay bottom feeders for essentially 2 full years AND Benson doesn't make the show

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
This of course would all be assuming they stay bottom feeders for essentially 2 full years AND Benson doesn't make the show

Honestly, I am a little surprised that they fell out of the playoffs this year. I thought they would improve their point total from last year.

Hordichuk_24

Honestly, I am a little surprised that they fell out of the playoffs this year. I thought they would improve their point total from last year.

A lot of things went wrong. They went on that long winning streak prior to the Christmas break and things were looking pretty positive. The Christmas break might have been the worst timing for them. It put an end to that streak and the team that returned didn't play the same way.

The team sorely lacks leadership. There is only one player on the current roster (and he's a healthy player, not on the IR) that acts like a leader. And that's a heavy burden to handle on your own. And quite frankly I think a handful of their so called top players don't want to compete. That is always going to be an issue long term. It doesn't help that they probably have the worst group (skill wise) of 20 year old's in the league. Jones has been an upgrade on Hamilton (albeit not a huge one) so when you factor in that for a majority of the season they had very sub-par overagers. Another problem to add to the mix. How about two more? Atrocious defensive coverage and shaky goaltending. Way more problems with this team than solutions. The roster needs an overhaul and in my opinion the scouting staff. Although the latter isn't likely to happen.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
A lot of things went wrong. They went on that long winning streak prior to the Christmas break and things were looking pretty positive. The Christmas break might have been the worst timing for them. It put an end to that streak and the team that returned didn't play the same way.

The team sorely lacks leadership. There is only one player on the current roster (and he's a healthy player, not on the IR) that acts like a leader. And that's a heavy burden to handle on your own. And quite frankly I think a handful of their so called top players don't want to compete. That is always going to be an issue long term. It doesn't help that they probably have the worst group (skill wise) of 20 year old's in the league. Jones has been an upgrade on Hamilton (albeit not a huge one) so when you factor in that for a majority of the season they had very sub-par overagers. Another problem to add to the mix. How about two more? Atrocious defensive coverage and shaky goaltending. Way more problems with this team than solutions. The roster needs an overhaul and in my opinion the scouting staff. Although the latter isn't likely to happen.

Yes, wasn't that right after Noel was hired? They were on fire. It is unforunate for Giants' fans. I really thought they were gonna do the proper re-build, I mean, they still might be. Who knows.

The BC division next year will be mighty interesting. Kelowna will be good, not as good as this year, but good.

Victoria will be losing some key cogs, but will have Soy back and ready to do some major damage.

Kamloops will look to keep their young nucleus together and they will be hoping Gaglardi will have a say in bringing Ully back.

PG is really only losing 2 key pieces and will bring back the majority of the youngsters.

Vancouver will have a 17 year old Benson, and hopefully a decent supporting cast to provide offense.

Division is open for business

Hordichuk_24

Yes, wasn't that right after Noel was hired? They were on fire.

Correct. In hindsight it makes a lot of sense. Teams typically respond positively after a coaching change. Especially when the players disliked the previous coach. After that honeymoon period is over and the high of having a new voice in the room passes things usually start to settle. And for this team they didn't just settle they started to bottom out.

phillipsj89 said:
It is unforunate for Giants' fans. I really thought they were gonna do the proper re-build, I mean, they still might be. Who knows.

Hard to rebuild when your drafting is horrid. The scary thing is the entire scouting staff was recently re-signed (within the past year or so). Even when they do draft a talented player, developing that player has become an issue. I like Scott Bonner so I'd prefer him to stick around. But I know many fans want him gone. He used to be one of the top GM's in the league. He robbed so many teams in trades. But there isn't too much he can brag about over the past five or six years.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Correct. In hindsight it makes a lot of sense. Teams typically respond positively after a coaching change. Especially when the players disliked the previous coach. After that honeymoon period is over and the high of having a new voice in the room passes things usually start to settle. And for this team they didn't just settle they started to bottom out.

Hard to rebuild when your drafting is horrid. The scary thing is the entire scouting staff was recently re-signed (within the past year or so). Even when they do draft a talented player, developing that player has become an issue. I like Scott Bonner so I'd prefer him to stick around. But I know many fans want him gone. He used to be one of the top GM's in the league. He robbed so many teams in trades. But there isn't too much he can brag about over the past five or six years.

Which I read as "there isn't too much to brag about since his brother left for Kamloops." Not that Craig is setting the league on fire as GM of the Blazers but those two, as a team, seemed unstoppable. On their own, they're below average.

Hordichuk_24

Which I read as "there isn't too much to brag about since his brother left for Kamloops." Not that Craig is setting the league on fire as GM of the Blazers but those two, as a team, seemed unstoppable. On their own, they're below average.

Pretty much bang on. Craig was an excellent assistant coach and to be honest they haven't been able to replace him. Every other assistant brought in has struggled. He ran the defense very well and he worked well with the players. Soon after Craig left Scott and Don's relationship really started to sour. Ultimately a major reason they let Hay go back to Kamloops. They weren't going to fire him given Don's reputation so both parties mutually agreed to part ways.

arsmaster*

Late to the conversation and to echo comments on Benson, I agree. Some a polished player already, but I don't think he makes the jump at 18. Will at the very least play his draft +1.

I just don't see why you'd take a kid like that and throw him to the Wolves, bide your time and unleash him at 19 or 20.

I don't believe finishing ones junior career has EVER hurt a player's development, but rushing them certainly has.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Late to the conversation and to echo comments on Benson, I agree. Some a polished player already, but I don't think he makes the jump at 18. Will at the very least play his draft +1.

I just don't see why you'd take a kid like that and throw him to the Wolves, bide your time and unleash him at 19 or 20.

I don't believe finishing ones junior career has EVER hurt a player's development, but rushing them certainly has.

Yes, that is true. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Hordichuk_24

I agree wholeheartedly with the latter part. And don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting he should jump to the NHL at 18. He absolutely shouldn't regardless of what he does next season, IMO. Even if he lights it up and is one of the better players in the WHL (which I'm not suggesting will happen) he should return to junior in my opinion.

I was merely pointing out that there is no guarantee he will return. I don't trust NHL clubs to make the right decisions. They rush players all the damn time. So I am not banking on Benson returning after being drafted. At this point it's a complete toss up. If he drops in the draft and is selected by a middle of the pack team he probably returns. But if a bad team picks him high...you never know. Typically those teams are desperate and they end up making a poor choice.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I agree wholeheartedly with the latter part. And don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting he should jump to the NHL at 18. He absolutely shouldn't regardless of what he does next season, IMO. Even if he lights it up and is one of the better players in the WHL (which I'm not suggesting will happen) he should return to junior in my opinion.

I was merely pointing out that there is no guarantee he will return. I don't trust NHL clubs to make the right decisions. They rush players all the damn time. So I am not banking on Benson returning after being drafted. At this point it's a complete toss up. If he drops in the draft and is selected by a middle of the pack team he probably returns. But if a bad team picks him high...you never know. Typically those teams are desperate and they end up making a poor choice.

I really hope he isn't rushed. He is gonna look real good next year, the WHL would definitely benefit from him sticking around another year.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Anyone know how they do the CHL top 10 rankings?

Brandon is #4 again while Kelowna is #2, but Brandon is at 111 points (70gp) and the Rockets are at 107 points (69gp)

Always thought it was some king of weighed points system with the 3 leagues, but that clearly isn't the case.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Big win for PG over Kamloops tonight. Great game to go and watch.

Yep! I didn't know how the Cougars were gonna react. First big "playoff" type game at home, and they played great. Don't like how they sat back in the third, but ultimately, it was enough. They haven't quite clinched 3rd place yet. TC losing 2 or PG gaining 1 point will do it.

Me too. It pisses me off to no end when that happens. But we will have to wait and see what happens. We can't jump to any conclusions just yet. Still quite time some to go before he is even drafted.

I think its a combination of schedule weight, and performance. At the end of the day, I think it is still subjective.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Horrendous! I could go on a rant about him for a half hour if you'd like? :laugh:

Take a quick look at his stats. And tell me which glaring number stands out. That should give you a pretty good idea of how he looks.

I was wondering what happened with him, he was highly thought of his draft year and he dropped a bit in the draft because he had NCAA leanings.

It will be interesting year next year if any of the 97s, Roach,Stukel,Brumm, or Bobylev, can step it up.

I know they sent Kubic away from this team because the didn't want to ruin his confidence for next season.

I don't know about them next year. They are going to be very young.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Been a while since I've jumped on here but it's nice to see the forum still running and better than ever.

I'm really looking forward to the playoffs, hopefully Victoria can finally solve the top teams in the West.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Been a while since I've jumped on here but it's nice to see the forum still running and better than ever.

I'm really looking forward to the playoffs, hopefully Victoria can finally solve the top teams in the West.

Looks like it'll be PG and VIC. No doubt VIC has more talent and experience, but PG has played them tough all year. PG will be coming in hot. I think we are in for a long series.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Anyone know how they do the CHL top 10 rankings?

Brandon is #4 again while Kelowna is #2, but Brandon is at 111 points (70gp) and the Rockets are at 107 points (69gp)

Always thought it was some king of weighed points system with the 3 leagues, but that clearly isn't the case.

I've come to the conclusion that the OHL team will always get the #1 ranking because the CHL is based in Ontario. As for Kelowna/Brandon, I think they still put a lot of weight on the overall season and not just specifically that week, unless a team completely blows everyone out of the water or craps the bed.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Looks like it'll be PG and VIC. No doubt VIC has more talent and experience, but PG has played them tough all year. PG will be coming in hot. I think we are in for a long series.

Just excited to see playoff hockey back at the CN. It'll be a pretty packed barn I think, just under 3000 last game I believe and more will come out for playoffs that's for sure.

Can't wait.

Hordichuk_24

I was wondering what happened with him, he was highly thought of his draft year and he dropped a bit in the draft because he had NCAA leanings.

For starters Ronning can't stay healthy. He has missed so much development time. And that has set him back in more ways than just the obvious. Secondly he has some really bad habits. One he skates with his head down. That doesn't help the injury concerns. And two he doesn't play defense. That isn't going to go over well with many coaches. Hence he's been a healthy scratch a number of times. For a young player that has missed so many games due to injury missing games for not being responsible defensively is even that much harder to tolerate. Lastly he predominantly a perimeter player. Some players can have success at his level playing that way. It's far from ideal and not likely to translate to the pro level but Ronning has yet to figure that out. I'm not convinced he will either. It wouldn't shock me if they tried to move him. I think a change of scenery would be best for both parties.

Joe Hallenback said:
It will be interesting year next year if any of the 97s, Roach,Stukel,Brumm, or Bobylev, can step it up.

I know they sent Kubic away from this team because the didn't want to ruin his confidence for next season.

Out of those mentioned Stukel looks the most promising. He like Ronning has had a lot of injuries. So that set him back development wise. He has stepped it up as of late. Roach has shown some offensive upside at times. But very inconsistent. For a big guy he plays a very soft game. Can't say I'm a fan of that. I have seen absolutely nothing in Brumm. He hasn't played much but when he does play he doesn't stand out at all. Looks a bit lost and over matched. Bobylev is hard to read. At times he looks good and other times he isn't noticeable. He hasn't really found his niche on this team. He has bounced around on so many different lines. Right now he is mainly used as a checking forward. I think there is more offense in his game. Hopefully next season we will see more of it.

As for Kubic he was touted as goalie of the future. Many people in the organization were very high on him. I think that opinion has changed a little. Right now it's split. I think half feel Porter is the goalie of the future and the other half are still Kubic believers. Ultimately I think those two will be the goalies on the roster next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad