Pre-Game Talk: 2014-2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs Watch

SweetyV

Apr 27, 2014
Anybody but the Hawks or Kings in the first round and I'll be alright with it. Just want to see something new

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Rinne is more than just a solid goalie. Elliott is a solid goalie, but Rinne is an elite goaltender. He can take over a game or two in a series and win those games himself.

Nashville has four 20+ goal scorers (same as the Blues) and could easily have five if Fisher hadn't been injured to start the season...and that's only the forwards and doesn't even include Weber, who is not far from 20 goals himself. Ribero may not be a #1 center on many teams, but he's had a pretty productive offensive season and I doubt the playoffs see that drop off much. Nashville is a strong threat for the Cup, in my opinion.

The Blues have more top-end talent, more prolific scorers, and better possession/face offs. But the ability to score timely goals, as Robb pointed out, could easily erase the Blues' advantages and leave them struggling to score, just like in years past. It will be tough for anyone to take out Nashville and I hope someone else does it. If we have to beat the best, then I hope we show up to play. If someone else takes out Nashville, good for the Blues and obviously Nashville wasn't one of the best.
Okay, elite goaltender. Still doesn't matter.

I don't really care what Nashville's forwards regular season stats are. You need elite talent and guys who will rise to the ocassion and carry the team in the playoffs. They don't have that. And neither did the Blues in the past no matter how many 20-goal scorers they had. You need more than depth. You need top talent.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Okay, elite goaltender. Still doesn't matter.

I don't really care what Nashville's forwards regular season stats are. You need elite talent and guys who will rise to the ocassion and carry the team in the playoffs. They don't have that. And neither did the Blues in the past no matter how many 20-goal scorers they had. You need more than depth. You need top talent.

How do you analyze Boston with that formula?

I think they're an exception to that rule. Yes, they have some very good offensive players, but no one (on the Cup winning team) that I would consider offensively elite.

I don't think there is some dogmatic rule about what a Cup-winning team has to have. We've also seen teams where players were only considered to be elite AFTER they'd won the Cup.

I do agree that Nashville looks less dangerous in the post-season than some of the other contenders. I think Forsberg is too early in his career to be counted on as being a difference-maker this time.

I also agree that the Blues have a better chance this year than in any recent year. But damn, the West is going to be a slugfest. Hopefully however the pairings work out, at least 2 of the serious contenders can face each other before the Blues face them.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How do you analyze Boston with that formula?

I think they're an exception to that rule. Yes, they have some very good offensive players, but no one (on the Cup winning team) that I would consider offensively elite.

I don't think there is some dogmatic rule about what a Cup-winning team has to have. We've also seen teams where players were only considered to be elite AFTER they'd won the Cup.

I do agree that Nashville looks less dangerous in the post-season than some of the other contenders. I think Forsberg is too early in his career to be counted on as being a difference-maker this time.

I also agree that the Blues have a better chance this year than in any recent year. But damn, the West is going to be a slugfest. Hopefully however the pairings work out, at least 2 of the serious contenders can face each other before the Blues face them.
To me, Boston was top-to-bottom a better team than Nashville. Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Seguin, Marchand, Horton is better than Ribeiro, Forsberg, Neal, Fisher, Craig Smith and Colin Wilson.

Bergeron may not be a big name scorer but he's absolutely a top center. Elite defensively, just a great all-around player. Krejci is good too, and absolutely tore it up in the playoffs both years that they went to the Cup. I don't think the Preds have anyone near their level at center.

Plus, the Bruins did have that intimidating, physical element as well, much like the Kings, that helped them. They seemed to have a really good, penalty-killing 4th-line with guys like Campbell, Paille and Thornton too. They just had an identity where everything clicked. I feel like the Predators are just a few individual parts (Rinne, Weber, maybe Josi...) and then just a bunch of other supporting cast guys who are pretty good, but nothing great.

Since February 21st, Filip Forsberg has 5 points. So I just can't take a team too seriously when Mike Ribeiro is their leading point-producer. May be a little biased too since I hate that guy. And I believe him and Forsberg will struggle in the playoffs.

But yeah, Nashville and Chicago would be an ideal first-round matchup for us. I just am not sold on the Predators. Maybe there's some bitterness involved too. After the Blues' 3 early exits, I will not be happy if a team like Nashville comes into the playoffs and goes all the way when I don't consider them better than us at all. Sure it'd be better than the Blackhawks, but still.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Forsberg and Ribeiro get massive amounts of time and space, at least in the games I've watched. They don't earn it to say, they are simply given it by the opposing team. That time and space will be erased big time in the POs. I also forsee Ribeiro getting pounded into the ice in 3 weeks.

I still rather play the Hawks. Less time for them to get Kane back, and just get that Monkey of Stl's back. If they can't take them round 1...then they never stood a chance anyways

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I find I'm not terribly invested in winning the conference or the division. I won't think the Blues chances are all that much different whatever seed they end up with.

I can see a twisted bracket where Minnesota overtakes Chicago, and the Pacific gets the Blackhawks as the wildcard, with LA vs Vancouver in the middle. On the Blues side we'd see Minnesota vs Nashville and St Louis vs Calgary (sorry, in this fantasy Winnipeg misses out).

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Playoff Matchups (start of day, 3/28/15)
Western Conference
(1) Anaheim Ducks (101; 76) vs. (WC2) Winnipeg Jets (90; 75)
(2) Nashville Predators (100; 75) vs. (WC1) Minnesota Wild (93;75)
(C2) St. Louis Blues (99; 74) vs. (C3) Chicago Blackhawks (94; 74)
(P2) Vancouver Canucks (90; 74) vs. (P3) Los Angeles Kings (88; 74)

On the Bubble:
Calgary Flames (87; 75) - 1 point behind Los Angeles with one more game played; Calgary has the tiebreaker.

Eastern Conference
(1) New York Rangers (101; 73) vs. (WC2) Ottawa Senators (85; 73)
(2) Montreal Canadiens (100; 75) vs. (WC1) Washington Capitals (90; 74)
(M2) New York Islanders (93; 75) vs. (M3) Pittsburgh Penguins (91; 74)
(A2) Tampa Bay Lightning (99; 75) vs. (A3) Detroit Red Wings (90; 73)

On the Bubble:
Boston Bruins (85; 74) - Equal Ottawa having played 1 extra game; Boston has the tiebreaker
Florida Panthers (82; 74) - 3 points behind Ottawa having played 1 extra game; Boston, and then Ottawa, has the tiebreaker

Home team listed first
Italics imply that the team has clinched the playoffs

I will post something similar daily

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Blues vs Hawks would be epic imo. I think the Blues would be all over them and could catapult them to a deep run.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Playoff Matchups (start of day, 3/29/15)
Western Conference
(1) Anaheim Ducks (103; 77) vs. (WC2) Winnipeg Jets (90; 75)
(2) Nashville Predators (102; 76) vs. (WC1) Chicago Blackhawks (94; 74)
(C2) St. Louis Blues (99; 75) vs. (C3) Minnesota Wild (95; 76)
(P2) Vancouver Canucks (91; 75) vs. (P3) Los Angeles Kings (88; 74)

On the Bubble:
Calgary Flames (87; 75) - 1 point behind Los Angeles; Calgary has the tiebreaker.

Eastern Conference
(1) Montreal Canadiens (102; 76) vs. (WC2) Boston Bruins (87; 75)
(2) New York Rangers (101; 74) vs. (WC1) Washington Capitals (90; 74)
(M2) Pittsburgh Penguins (93; 75) vs. (M3) New York Islanders (93; 76)
(A2) Tampa Bay Lightning (99; 76) vs. (A3) Detroit Red Wings (92; 74)

On the Bubble:
Ottawa Senators (86; 74) - 1 Point behind Boston with a game in hand; Boston has the tiebreaker
Florida Panthers (83; 75) - 4 points behind Boston; Boston, and then Ottawa, has the tiebreaker

Home team listed first

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
My head hurts, try to understand how this system goes now. No more 1vs.8. Who is facing who in 1st round. :pullhair:

If I'm reading correct this page we will face in 1st round Chicago most likely.

Last edited:

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
My head hurts, try to understand how this system goes now. No more 1vs.8. Who is facing who in 1st round. :pullhair:

If I'm reading correct this page we will face in 1st round Chicago most likely.

Central 2 plays central 3, pacific 2 plays pacific 3,

Compare central 1 and pacific 1 to get 1/2, then 1 plays wc2 (8) and 2 plays wc1 (7)

SweetyV

Apr 27, 2014
Nashville loses to Calgary today. A win win for us, as Calgary leapfrogs LA to put them in that 3rd seed and put LA on the outside.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Playoff Matchups (start of day, 3/30/15)
Western Conference
(1) Anaheim Ducks (105; 78) vs. (WC2) Winnipeg Jets (90; 76)
(2) Nashville Predators (102; 77) vs. (WC1) Minnesota Wild (95; 76)
(C2) St. Louis Blues (99; 75) vs. (C3) Chicago Blackhawks (96; 75)
(P2) Vancouver Canucks (91; 75) vs. (P3) Calgary Flames (89; 76)

On the Bubble:
Los Angeles (88; 75) - 1 point behind Calgary with a game in hand; Calgary has the tiebreaker.

Eastern Conference
(1) Montreal Canadiens (102; 76) vs. (WC2) Boston Bruins (89; 76)
(2) New York Rangers (101; 75) vs. (WC1) Washington Capitals (92; 76)
(M2) Pittsburgh Penguins (95; 76) vs. (M3) New York Islanders (95; 77)
(A2) Tampa Bay Lightning (99; 76) vs. (A3) Detroit Red Wings (92; 75)

On the Bubble:
Ottawa Senators (86; 75) - 3 points behind Boston with a game in hand; Boston has the tiebreaker
Florida Panthers (85; 76) - 4 points behind Boston; Boston, and then Ottawa, has the tiebreaker

Home team listed first

MedicBluesFan443

Nov 15, 2010
New Haven MO.
At the end of the day we have to win against whom ever we play to win a cup. In my opinion, If the blues got a super tough match up in round 1 and were able to win.. It would most likely help them tremendously toward that first cup. If we draw a lesser opponent, I think it sets us up to get smashed in the second round. Just my humble thoughts. To be the best you have to beat the best. That is the bottom line. It is time for the Blues to put up or shut up at this point. I think I speak for most when I say the excuses for lossing are over and the time to show us results is now. Bring us a da@# cup!

Lakewood

Nov 17, 2013
I think it's fair to say we have some confidence issues and need to get through a round. We need to lead from the front.

If we play Minnesota and Backes can step up and lead and win that series ,in his home state no less, that could be huge. We deserve some confidence, and we need our top line to play offense, not kill penalties if we are going to win any series.

Hawks fans flood scottrade and the energy can range from stale to demoralizing. Blues sometimes tighten up and become their own enemy. My immune system can't handle the red parade out of our home building if we lose, especially if it's one with hugs and congratulations in the handshake line. I know modern sports is a product and the product is fantasy, but I have my limits.

We probably decide our own fate in the matter. Vs chicago. Last year we put it off, put it off...

The kings are the kid who screws around gaming, skating whatever, then goes and takes the ACT (sorry ranksu) and gets a 34. We aren't that kid. We need to be smarter by learning to work together and make sure we get the best possible matchup. We don't want to be the kid with tutors who grew up in the gated community that gets his butt kicked in the real world.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Playoff Matchups (start of day, 4/3/15)
Western Conference
(1) Anaheim Ducks (107; 79) vs. (WC2) Los Angeles Kings (90; 77)
(2) Nashville Predators (103; 78) vs. (WC1) Minnesota Wild (95; 77)
(C2) St. Louis Blues (101; 77) vs. (C3) Chicago Blackhawks (100; 77)
(P2) Vancouver Canucks (95; 78) vs. (P3) Calgary Flames (91; 78)

On the Bubble:
Winnipeg Jets (90; 77) - Tied with Los Angeles but Los Angeles has ROW tiebreaker
San Jose Sharks (85; 77) - 5 points behind Los Angeles; Los Angeles has the tiebreaker
Dallas Stars (84; 77) - 6 points behind Los Angeles; Los Angeles has the tiebreaker

Eastern Conference
(1) New York Rangers (105; 77) vs. (WC2) Boston Bruins (93; 78)
(2) Montreal Canadiens (103; 78) vs. (WC1) Pittsburgh Penguins (95; 77)
(M2) Washington Capitals (96; 78) vs. (M3) New York Islanders (96; 78)
(A2) Tampa Bay Lightning (102; 79) vs. (A3) Detroit Red Wings (93; 77)

On the Bubble:
Ottawa Senators (90; 77) - 3 points behind Boston with a game in hand; Boston has the tiebreaker
Florida Panthers (87; 78) - 6 points behind Boston; Boston, and then Ottawa, has the tiebreaker

Home team listed first

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think it's fair to say we have some confidence issues and need to get through a round. We need to lead from the front.

If we play Minnesota and Backes can step up and lead and win that series ,in his home state no less, that could be huge. We deserve some confidence, and we need our top line to play offense, not kill penalties if we are going to win any series.

Hawks fans flood scottrade and the energy can range from stale to demoralizing. Blues sometimes tighten up and become their own enemy. My immune system can't handle the red parade out of our home building if we lose, especially if it's one with hugs and congratulations in the handshake line. I know modern sports is a product and the product is fantasy, but I have my limits.

We probably decide our own fate in the matter. Vs chicago. Last year we put it off, put it off...

The kings are the kid who screws around gaming, skating whatever, then goes and takes the ACT (sorry ranksu) and gets a 34. We aren't that kid. We need to be smarter by learning to work together and make sure we get the best possible matchup. We don't want to be the kid with tutors who grew up in the gated community that gets his butt kicked in the real world.

What's the "ACT"?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What's the "ACT"?

It's one of the two standardized tests that colleges expect for admittance, the other being the SAT. You usually only take one of two, but may need both depending on the schools you apply to. With the ACT, there's four sections, each of which with a high score of 36. They are then made into a composite score for the whole thing, which is also a high score of 36. I think the average is like a 22, so a 34 would be very good.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Win. The fact that anyone thinks dropping to 3rd is a good idea is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Best scenario:

Beat Chicago in regulation
Lose to Winnipeg in OT
Beat Chicago in regulation
Beat Minnesota in any fashion

Nashville loses at least one of their remaining three games
Chicago holds onto the last spot in the central

Blues v. Winnipeg or Minnesota
Chicago v. Nashville
LA misses playoffs

Sounds easy enough. Let's make it happen. :handclap:

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Blues right winger Vladimir Tarasenko has not started skating since suffering his lower-body injury last Monday. He is traveling with the club, but isn’t expected to play for at least another week to 10 days.

No Vladdy in the first playoff games?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Blues right winger Vladimir Tarasenko has not started skating since suffering his lower-body injury last Monday. He is traveling with the club, but isn’t expected to play for at least another week to 10 days.

No Vladdy in the first playoff games?
The playoffs don't even start for 10 days so he will be fine. Already doing light training.

He will play in the playoffs. Last year should be a good indicator of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad