Pre-Game Talk: 2014-2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs Watch

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Playoff Matchups (start of day, 3/24/15)
Western Conference
(1) Anaheim Ducks vs. (WC2) Winnipeg Jets
(2) St. Louis Blues vs. (WC1) Minnesota Wild
(C2) Nashville Predators vs. (C3) Chicago Blackhawks
(P2) Vancouver Canucks vs. (P3) Calgary Flames

On the Bubble:
Los Angeles Kings - 2 points behind Calgary with 1 game in hand; Calgary has the tiebreaker.

Eastern Conference
(1) New York Rangers vs. (WC2) Ottawa Senators
(2) Montreal Canadians vs. (WC1) Washington Capitals
(M2) New York Islanders vs. (M3) Pittsburgh Penguins
(A2) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (A3) Detroit Red Wings

On the Bubble:
Boston Bruins - 1 point behind Ottawa having played 1 extra game
Florida Panthers - 5 points behind Ottawa

Home team listed first

I will post something similar daily

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Playoff Matchups (start of day, 3/26/15)

Western Conference
(1) St. Louis Blues vs. (WC2) Winnipeg Jets
(2) Anaheim Ducks vs. (WC1) Minnesota Wild
(C2) Nashville Predators vs. (C3) Chicago Blackhawks
(P2) Vancouver Canucks vs. (P3) Calgary Flames

On the Bubble:
Los Angeles Kings - 1 point behind Calgary with 1 game in hand; Calgary has the tiebreaker. 2 points behind Winnipeg with 1 game in hand; Los Angeles has the tiebreaker
Dallas Stars - 6 points behind Winnipeg; Dallas has the tiebreaker

Eastern Conference
(1) Montreal Canadiens vs. (WC2) Ottawa Senators
(2) New York Rangers vs. (WC1) Washington Capitals
(M2) New York Islanders vs. (M3) Pittsburgh Penguins
(A2) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (A3) Detroit Red Wings

On the Bubble:
Boston Bruins - 1 point behind Ottawa having played 1 extra game
Florida Panthers - 5 points behind Ottawa having played 1 extra game

Home team listed first

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I'd rather play Winnipeg than Minnesota to be honest. I don't get why everyone wants to face one of the hottest teams in the league. They've outplayed us 2 times in a row, and the only way I'd want to play them more is if we demolish them in the regular season finale.

My choices of preference are:
1. Calgary
2. Winnipeg
3. Minnesota
4. Nashville
5. LA
6. Chicago

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The best case scenario for us is definitely the Flames. We just match up so well against them.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'd rather play Winnipeg than Minnesota to be honest. I don't get why everyone wants to face one of the hottest teams in the league. They've outplayed us 2 times in a row, and the only way I'd want to play them more is if we demolish them in the regular season finale.

1. Calgary
2. Winnipeg
3. Minnesota
4. Nashville
5. LA
6. Chicago

I don't fear Minnesota at all. If we can't beat them, then it isn't like we had any shot at the Cup. Dubnyk has been great for them, but the playoffs are a different beast.

Winnipeg is probably 5 games of getting physically beat up. I'd rather take 6 games to beat the Wild than 5 to beat the Jets.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
Winnipeg is probably 5 games of getting physically beat up. I'd rather take 6 games to beat the Wild than 5 to beat the Jets.

A physical series win in the first round could be a good thing, of course if they come out healthy and get an extra day or two rest, if I'm wishing for everything and the moon.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I don't fear Minnesota at all. If we can't beat them, then it isn't like we had any shot at the Cup. Dubnyk has been great for them, but the playoffs are a different beast.

I don't fear them at all, to be honest. I don't fear any of the teams in the west, because I know that if they play their best, they'd beat anybody. Just a list of easiest to hardest opponents. You're right on the Jets being a significantly more physical team than the Wild though.

Balloon

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

1. Calgary
2. Winnipeg
3. Minnesota
4. Nashville
5. LA
6. Chicago

This just isn't true though. The first game that they beat us we had all of the possession and chances; they just got a couple lucky goals at the end of the game. The second game you could definitely argue that they outplayed us, but really it had a lot to do with the absurd puck luck. Another thing to consider is that those games meant a lot more to Minnesota than us. They need all the points they can get if they want to make the playoffs, while we are basically a lock to make it at this point. Obviously they'll be putting a bit more into those games, but in the playoffs when both teams are putting in 100% effort, I don't think Minnesota has a chance.

RR10*

but in the playoffs when both teams are putting in 100% effort, I don't think Minnesota has a chance.
They are not that bad. They gave Chicago a pretty good battle last year and they just got better. It would be a tough series to win, but the Blues would be favourites ofcourse. I think an inexperienced Jets team is a bit easier. Calgary would be a dream.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

1. Calgary
2. Winnipeg
3. Minnesota
4. Nashville
5. LA
6. Chicago
Except they haven't.

Like others have said, if this team can't beat Minnesota then the Blues are complete phonies. We should beat the Wild into the ice. They are not that good, they are riding a hot goaltender right now.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Except they haven't.

Like others have said, if this team can't beat Minnesota then the Blues are complete phonies. We should beat the Wild into the ice. They are not that good, they are riding a hot goaltender right now.

Clearly you havnt visited the central thread on the main board :sarcasm:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I agree that the Blues should beat Minnesota, but I'd rather not play them in round 1. They're a confident team who DID win a series last year. They're not really intimidated by Chicago, and pushed that series arguably more than St Louis did. I think they're pretty well poised for a first round series win.

I'm of the opinion that the Blues need to beat any/every team to win the Cup. The West if full of tough teams....but St Louis should be able to win a series against any of them. Minnesota is no different. However, if I could draw up the playoff matchups:
Blues vs Winnipeg (or Calgary)
Chicago vs Nashville

Anaheim vs Minnesota
Vancouver vs Calgary (or LAK)

I think Anaheim would not be enjoying that series. Frankly, I'd bet on Minnesota.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Kings are going to win it again.

Hot garbage on the road... then go beat NYR, NJD & NYI in the past week. Went a goal down to both New York teams as well. If they get in that third spot, they'll steamroll Vancouver.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I agree that the Blues should beat Minnesota, but I'd rather not play them in round 1. They're a confident team who DID win a series last year. They're not really intimidated by Chicago, and pushed that series arguably more than St Louis did. I think they're pretty well poised for a first round series win.

I'm of the opinion that the Blues need to beat any/every team to win the Cup. The West if full of tough teams....but St Louis should be able to win a series against any of them. Minnesota is no different. However, if I could draw up the playoff matchups:
Blues vs Winnipeg (or Calgary)
Chicago vs Nashville

Anaheim vs Minnesota
Vancouver vs Calgary (or LAK)

I think Anaheim would not be enjoying that series. Frankly, I'd bet on Minnesota.
What? So the Blues can't play a team that won a series last year? You must think the Blues are extremely mentally fragile, because that'd be kind of sad if that's what made a team too much for the Blues to handle.

The Wild barely beat the Avalanche. If I remember correctly, they were down very late in game 7. It's not like they knocked out a powerhouse in an impressive fashion. I know the Avs won the division but that was clearly an anomaly. The Blues likely would have handled Colorado in less than 7 games.

The Wild aren't intimidated by the Blackhawks? Well that's nice but considering the Blackhawks have beaten them 2 years in a row and are clearly better, I'm just going to guess Chicago isn't intimiated by them either.

How come everybody always picks Anaheim to get upset? Last year people were picking Dallas over them and now Minnesota. That remains to be seen but I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Anaheim go all the way this year if the Kings take a step back. The Ducks have a solid team. Minnesota would give them a fight for sure, but I just don't see the Wild as being that good.

The Wild are more like the Blues in 2012. They have 3 forwards who are on pace to hit 50 points, and two of them will barely make it. People can rave about their depth, but it's made up of 3rd-liners. Our top 6 is much more skilled than theirs. Not to mention our defense is much better, so yeah, I'm just not worried about them. I think there are "only" 4 clear contenders in the West (LA, ANA, CHI, STL), with Nashville being an arguable 5th. No other team should be representing the West. A miracle would have to happen.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Minnesota looks like more of a threat than Nashville at this point.

The reason I see Anaheim as an upset pick is that the wildcard rep is likely a Central team who is probably stronger than the 2/3 teams in the Pacific. anaheim's record is padded with a greater proportion of weak wins in division. And the last part of their schedule has been mostly non playoff teams. They will likely win the Conference, but I think they're puffed up higher than they deserve. I've watched a lot of Anaheim games this year, and I'm just not sold on them as a true contender. However it shakes out, I think that will be a good first round series to watch.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
What? So the Blues can't play a team that won a series last year? You must think the Blues are extremely mentally fragile, because that'd be kind of sad if that's what made a team too much for the Blues to handle.

The Wild barely beat the Avalanche. If I remember correctly, they were down very late in game 7. It's not like they knocked out a powerhouse in an impressive fashion. I know the Avs won the division but that was clearly an anomaly. The Blues likely would have handled Colorado in less than 7 games.

The Wild aren't intimidated by the Blackhawks? Well that's nice but considering the Blackhawks have beaten them 2 years in a row and are clearly better, I'm just going to guess Chicago isn't intimiated by them either.

How come everybody always picks Anaheim to get upset? Last year people were picking Dallas over them and now Minnesota. That remains to be seen but I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Anaheim go all the way this year if the Kings take a step back. The Ducks have a solid team. Minnesota would give them a fight for sure, but I just don't see the Wild as being that good.

The Wild are more like the Blues in 2012. They have 3 forwards who are on pace to hit 50 points, and two of them will barely make it. People can rave about their depth, but it's made up of 3rd-liners. Our top 6 is much more skilled than theirs. Not to mention our defense is much better, so yeah, I'm just not worried about them. I think there are "only" 4 clear contenders in the West (LA, ANA, CHI, STL), with Nashville being an arguable 5th. No other team should be representing the West. A miracle would have to happen.

I think that a LOT of people are underestimating The Preds. They have a very solid team, and a super goaltender, who can win lots of games by himself. They are just as likely to win it all as The Kings, Ducks, Hawks and Blues. Everyone thinks their scoring is a mirage. I disagree. What we've seen has been real, and we shouldn't expect it to disappear in the playoffs. In past years, Trotz's system held that team's scoring down. Now, with Forsberg's continued development, and the and the improvement of several other young players, they have enough skill to score just about as often as the other 4 competitors. The are very opportunistic, and score well when scoring is needed most (they're better at that than the more-skilled Blues).

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think that a LOT of people are underestimating The Preds. They have a very solid team, and a super goaltender, who can win lots of games by himself. They are just as likely to win it all as The Kings, Ducks, Hawks and Blues. Everyone thinks their scoring is a mirage. I disagree. What we've seen has been real, and we shouldn't expect it to disappear in the playoffs. In past years, Trotz's system held that team's scoring down. Now, with Forsberg's continued development, and the and the improvement of several other young players, they have enough skill to score just about as often as the other 4 competitors. The are very opportunistic, and score well when scoring is needed most (they're better at that than the more-skilled Blues).
I don't agree at all that they are on the same level as LA, CHI, ANA, and even the Blues.

The Predators just don't have the firepower up front to go all the way. They have a little more now than in years past, but relying on a rookie like Forsberg in the playoffs is a recipe for failure. And their "big addition" James Neal has 35 points in 63 games... That's nothing special, and I'm not sold on Mike Ribeiro as their top center either.

It's just not enough. Josi-Weber is a good top pairing and Rinne is a solid goalie but you simply need more than that. You need more talent at the forward position. They're not that impressive of a complete team just yet when you're talking about Cup contenders.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I don't agree at all that they are on the same level as LA, CHI, ANA, and even the Blues.

The Predators just don't have the firepower up front to go all the way. They have a little more now than in years past, but relying on a rookie like Forsberg in the playoffs is a recipe for failure. And their "big addition" James Neal has 35 points in 63 games... That's nothing special, and I'm not sold on Mike Ribeiro as their top center either.

It's just not enough. Josi-Weber is a good top pairing and Rinne is a solid goalie but you simply need more than that. You need more talent at the forward position. They're not that impressive of a complete team just yet when you're talking about Cup contenders.

Rinne is more than just a solid goalie. Elliott is a solid goalie, but Rinne is an elite goaltender. He can take over a game or two in a series and win those games himself.

Nashville has four 20+ goal scorers (same as the Blues) and could easily have five if Fisher hadn't been injured to start the season...and that's only the forwards and doesn't even include Weber, who is not far from 20 goals himself. Ribero may not be a #1 center on many teams, but he's had a pretty productive offensive season and I doubt the playoffs see that drop off much. Nashville is a strong threat for the Cup, in my opinion.

The Blues have more top-end talent, more prolific scorers, and better possession/face offs. But the ability to score timely goals, as Robb pointed out, could easily erase the Blues' advantages and leave them struggling to score, just like in years past. It will be tough for anyone to take out Nashville and I hope someone else does it. If we have to beat the best, then I hope we show up to play. If someone else takes out Nashville, good for the Blues and obviously Nashville wasn't one of the best.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Playoff Matchups (start of day, 3/27/15)
Western Conference
(1) Anaheim Ducks (101; 76) vs. (WC2) Winnipeg Jets (90; 75)
(2) Nashville Predators (100; 75) vs. (WC1) Minnesota Wild (91;74)
(C2) St. Louis Blues (99; 74) vs. (C3) Chicago Blackhawks (94; 73)
(P2) Vancouver Canucks (90; 74) vs. (P3) Los Angeles Kings (88; 74)

On the Bubble:
Calgary Flames (87; 74) - 1 point behind Los Angeles; Calgary has the tiebreaker.

Eastern Conference
(1) New York Rangers (101; 73) vs. (WC2) Ottawa Senators (85; 73)
(2) Montreal Canadiens (100; 75) vs. (WC1) Washington Capitals (90; 74)
(M2) New York Islanders (93; 75) vs. (M3) Pittsburgh Penguins (91; 74)
(A2) Tampa Bay Lightning (99; 75) vs. (A3) Detroit Red Wings (90; 73)

On the Bubble:
Boston Bruins (85; 74) - Equal Ottawa having played 1 extra game; Boston has the tiebreaker
Florida Panthers (82; 74) - 3 points behind Ottawa having played 1 extra game; Boston, and then Ottawa, has the tiebreaker

Home team listed first
Italics imply that the team has clinched the playoffs

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad