Pre-Game Talk: 2014-2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs Watch

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I see both wildcards from the Central. Minnesota may overtake Winnipeg, but I doubt either can threaten Chicago.

In the Pacific: Anaheim wins, but then LAK, Vancouver, Calgary and San Jose fight for the other two. I've been waiting all season for Calgary to bow out. I think San Jose is done. So unless the Flames can gut it out without Gordiano and beat the Kings, I see:

Anaheim vs WC (Winnipeg or Minnesota)
Vancouver vs LAK

And in the Central:
I just have this feeling the Blues are going to pass Nashville. They're still not even playing that well, but getting points and winning games. But I think this team is going to respond well to the trade deadline and make up the last few points needed.

Nashville/St Louis vs Winnipeg / Minnesota
St Louis/Nashville vs Chicago

I would sure prefer to see Nashville play Chicago. But I think the Blackhawks are out in the first round this year regardless of who they play. Something stinks in Chicago. They're trade deadline won't change it.

I won't comment on the east other than to say that its pretty much just a race between Florida and Boston for a playoff spot. The rest is set.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Also, if the Blues do face the Blackhawks in the first round, I'm picturing a "Get your damn hands off her Biff" moment when the Blues just smack the Blackhawks with all the fury of pent-up frustration. Maybe win 4-1 in a decisive series, signaling for once and for all that this team is different this year.

Anyway, that's how I'd write it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Want to see:

Nashville vs Chicago - One of them gets eliminated. I think Nashville.
St. Louis vs Minnesota - Would be great for us
Anaheim vs Winnipeg - Big, physical series. Anaheim wins but not easily.
Vancouver vs LA - Pretty much hate both teams, so let the Kings pound on them

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We are in a good spot to overtake Nashville. If we win our games in hand, we will be tied. Unfortunately, the schedule is against us IMO. We do not face Nashville, so we can make double ground on them, and we have 2 games vs Chicago and Nashville is done with them. Both have a couple cake games in Buffalo, Toronto, Columbus, and Phoenix. Besides that, a relatively similar schedule. Nashville also has another tough Cali road trip left as well.

At this point, the division is completely up for grabs and probably will be till the very end.

Would be nice if the Islanders and Jets beat them tonight and Saturday and we can handle Philly and Toronto to start to build a lead on them.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Also, if the Blues do face the Blackhawks in the first round, I'm picturing a "Get your damn hands off her Biff" moment when the Blues just smack the Blackhawks with all the fury of pent-up frustration. Maybe win 4-1 in a decisive series, signaling for once and for all that this team is different this year.

Anyway, that's how I'd write it.

I'd like to have that moment in the WCF against the Kings if I could pick. I agree almost completely though, there are definite cracks in Chicago and LA's armor this season and I'm thinking the playoffs this year are ripe for the taking.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
My preference would be to play an exhausted wildcard team in the first round (and win the division), THEN the winner of Chicago/Nashville. I think Anaheim will either fall in the first round or have a fairly easy walk to the WCF out of the other bracket. If they fall, its probably to Winnipeg or Minnesota.

Either way, if the Blues can win a round then I think they can win any/all rounds. It just has to come together. Despite my better judgement as a Blues fan, I'm getting optimistic that this year will be a significant run.

FloridaBlue

Mar 9, 2014
Wildwood, MO

But seriously it's coming down to the wire. At this point I don't care who the Blues get first round (okay, so long as it's not LA). I just want them to win. Sure it would be nice to play a wild card team but if it is the Blackhawks then so be it. At least they'd be without Kane.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I want Chicago in round one, don't care about round two, Los Angeles in round three, and I want to beat Boston, Montreal, or Tampa for the Staney Cup.

I demand satisfaction.

I don't care about the glory road. I just want to win.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
IDEALLY, this is what I'd want:

Blues v. Wild
Predators v. Blackhawks

Ducks v. Jets
Canucks v. Flames

We handle the Wild quite easily, I'm thinking five games at the most.

I don't care who wins Hawks/Preds. I mean, I think Nashville would be the easier match up, but my gut wants us the face the Hawks again. This time I think we'd have the upper hand (not just because Kane is out).

As long as the Kings don't make the playoffs, I think the Ducks make it to the WCF. I'd like them to play the Jets so they get beat up a bit, and maybe the Jets hold on for six games.

Canucks/Flames could go either way, but I don't see either team beating the Ducks.

If we pass Nashville, that would be huge because then it's guaranteed we would only have to play one of Nashville or Chicago. Instead of having to face Chicago, then Nashville, THEN the Ducks to make it to the SCF, we would have that easier first round to really get the ball rolling. And I'm sick of having super-tough match-ups in the first round. I want to see us win a series in decisive fashion.

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
As much as I'd love to see the Blues knock the Blackhawks out of the playoffs, if they do it while Kane is injured, I forsee claims that the Blues can only beat an injured Blackhawks team.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I don't want to play Winnipeg, because I want to be able to enjoy rooting for Winnipeg in the first round (whoever they play). That city has been starved for playoff hockey for a long time.

I also like the way their team plays the game, and think they'll be a tough out in the playoffs for whoever they play. Wouldn't mind in the least if they matched up with Anaheim.

Chicago has a proven track record, but good teams don't go on winning indefinitely. And I think they're leaking a little this season. If this Blues team is good enough to be a legit contender, I think they're good enough to handle Chicago in the post-season. That said, it speaks better if the Blues pass Nashville (who has a tough schedule) and get home ice for a couple rounds at least.

The playoff races are interesting. But the wind-up of the season is going to be a little too long for the Blues. Time for playoff hockey. It will be important to get Michalek and Shattenkirk back into the routine, but there are going to be inevitable games here and there where the Blues just aren't mentally into it as they look forward to the playoffs. (However, I expect a little 5 game winning streak in the immediate future.)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
As much as I'd love to see the Blues knock the Blackhawks out of the playoffs, if they do it while Kane is injured, I forsee claims that the Blues can only beat an injured Blackhawks team.

Who gives a ****. They beat a battered Blues. All that matters is who's left standing

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

Here's the injury report from game 1 last year:

Injury report: Chicago is fully stocked heading into the postseason. … St. Louis forwards David Backes (lower-body), T.J. Oshie (upper-body), Vladimir Sobotka (lower-body), Derek Roy (upper-body) and Brenden Morrow (lower-body) and defensemen Barret Jackman (undisclosed) and Alex Pietrangelo (undisclosed) are all dealing with various issues. They're all expected back at some point, along with forwards Vladimir Tarasenko (hand) and Patrik Berglund (upper body).

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Sweep their @$$e$ so you can say Kane wouldn't have mattered

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Best case

Blues overtake Nashville
Nashville v Chicago
Blues v Minnesota
Anaheim v Winnipeg
Calgary/SJ v Vancouver

LA misses

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
IDEALLY, this is what I'd want:

Blues v. Wild
Predators v. Blackhawks

Ducks v. Jets
Canucks v. Flames

We handle the Wild quite easily, I'm thinking five games at the most.

I don't care who wins Hawks/Preds. I mean, I think Nashville would be the easier match up, but my gut wants us the face the Hawks again. This time I think we'd have the upper hand (not just because Kane is out).

As long as the Kings don't make the playoffs, I think the Ducks make it to the WCF. I'd like them to play the Jets so they get beat up a bit, and maybe the Jets hold on for six games.

Canucks/Flames could go either way, but I don't see either team beating the Ducks.

If we pass Nashville, that would be huge because then it's guaranteed we would only have to play one of Nashville or Chicago. Instead of having to face Chicago, then Nashville, THEN the Ducks to make it to the SCF, we would have that easier first round to really get the ball rolling. And I'm sick of having super-tough match-ups in the first round. I want to see us win a series in decisive fashion.

Blues had a pretty easy matchup a few years ago against the Sharks and handled them pretty easily in the first round, and then got completely rolled by the Kings.

Don't think we are going to see the Blues win a series 4-0 or 4-1 this year, but it would be nice if we could. Every team out of the West is going to be extremely strong.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Blues had a pretty easy matchup a few years ago against the Sharks and handled them pretty easily in the first round, and then got completely rolled by the Kings.

Don't think we are going to see the Blues win a series 4-0 or 4-1 this year, but it would be nice if we could. Every team out of the West is going to be extremely strong.

Yeah, but I don't think that team had much of a chance of going any further than round 2. This team, however...

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Here's the injury report from game 1 last year:

Injury report: Chicago is fully stocked heading into the postseason. … St. Louis forwards David Backes (lower-body), T.J. Oshie (upper-body), Vladimir Sobotka (lower-body), Derek Roy (upper-body) and Brenden Morrow (lower-body) and defensemen Barret Jackman (undisclosed) and Alex Pietrangelo (undisclosed) are all dealing with various issues. They're all expected back at some point, along with forwards Vladimir Tarasenko (hand) and Patrik Berglund (upper body).

Although it wasn't officially reported, Toews and Kane were both dealing with injuries. For Toews I think it was a shoulder. But they get no sympathy from me now.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Chicago: With or without Kane they are good, but compare last season and before that one, Blues are so much better team now. I hope them to come 1st round.

Kings: I think Kings are one of toughtest team what we could face in 1st round. Quick and history says everything and they have edge of us like Chicago. (mentally)

Wild: They are surprisingly good team when they are clicking, trust to goaltender. That said, me personally I don't trust wild defence and goaltender in hard pressure.

Jets: If we face them I know we could win them quite easily in 1st round. It's dreadfull knowing how hard they play, so we could loose some players on that series. I don't wan't to face them at all.

Anaheim, Canucks: they are just same. Both have couple good superstars, but nothing special. Odorless and tasteless. I don't mind to face them.

I just wan't our guys are healthy when 1st round begins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad