2014/2015 Season Predictions

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think bubble team is generous for the Islanders. They'll finish 5th in the division at best.

I think our board might be overrating them more than their board.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I think bubble team is generous for the Islanders. They'll finish 5th in the division at best.

I don't know. Basically they lost Vanek off their top 6 and added Grabovski and Kulemin. They had a top half offense last season, even with injuries to both Tavares and Okposo. They just need to cut down their goals against by 40 or so goals, which is very realistic with their new additions of Halak, Boychuk and Leddy. At minimum, if they are around 210 to 225 in total goals against, their offense should carry them into the playoffs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Ehhh I think their recent moves make them a question mark team now. Doesn't mean they make it and definitely could easily end up 5th and not in the playoffs. There is enough there to compete for a bottom spot in the East though.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
The Islanders were a pretty decent team before the Leddy and Boychuk signings. They will be a tough team this year.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The Isles are more likely to be in the mix as a bubble team, but I still don't think they make it into the playoffs. After the Pens and Rangers, 3-7 in the Metro is pretty close. Only the Canes look truly terrible.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
The Isles are more likely to be in the mix as a bubble team, but I still don't think they make it into the playoffs. After the Pens and Rangers, 3-7 in the Metro is pretty close. Only the Canes look truly terrible.

Rangers aren't going to be as good as last year and they only got 96 PTS. I think Pitt is the only team in the Metro that I would be shocked to not make the playoffs. I don't think Pitt is going to be as good as they were last year either. Carolina is the only team that I would be shock to make the playoffs. Everyone else is going to be killing each other throughout the year.

Pitt

Rangers
Philly
Columbus
Washington
New Jersey
Islanders

Carolina

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Rangers aren't going to be as good as last year and they only got 96 PTS. I think Pitt is the only team in the Metro that I would be shocked to not make the playoffs. I don't think Pitt is going to be as good as they were last year either. Carolina is the only team that I would be shock to make the playoffs. Everyone else is going to be killing each other throughout the year.

Pitt

Rangers
Philly
Columbus
Washington
New Jersey
Islanders

Carolina

I agree, Pitt is the only playoff team for sure in the Metro (but they will be closer to the pack, could definitely end up in second depending on how things turn out). Carolina will be last. Tooth and nail fight between everyone else.

Doesn't even factor in the wild cards and question mark teams like Detroit, Toronto and Montreal.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I bet Montreal to win the cup and either SJS/BOS or STL/BOS in finals. So kind of three predictins but I'm going with Montreal. Kind of a wild card :laugh:

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Atlantic

1. Boston
2. Tampa Bay
3. Montreal
4. Detroit
5. Toronto
6. Ottawa
7. Florida
8. Buffalo

Metro

1. Pittsburgh
2. Rangers
3. Columbus
4. New Jersey (WC 1)
5. Islanders (WC 2)
6. Philadelphia
7. Washington
8. Carolina

Central

1. Chicago
2. St Louis
3. Minnesota
4. Dallas (WC 2)
5. Colorado
6. Nashville
7. Winnipeg

Pacific

1. Los Angeles
2. Anaheim
3. San Jose
4. Arizona (WC 1)
5. Vancouver
6. Edmonton
7. Calgary

Devils:

Schneider: 34-22-9
Top Goal Scorer: Adam Henrique (31)
Biggest Surprise: Tuomo Ruutu
Biggest Disappointment: Jacob Josefson
Most Likely To Be Traded: Damien Brunner
Shootout Wins: 2

DevilSlovenia

Jul 1, 2014

Pitt

Rangers
Philly
Columbus
Washington
New Jersey
Islanders

Carolina

Yeah but blueskirts like Philly got off a very bad start and then got better and better. In my mind Philadelphia will finish in 7. in Metro.

Atlantic:
1. Boston
2. Tampa
3. Montreal

Metro:
1. Pittsburgh
2. NY Rangers
3. Columbus
4. NY Islanders WC
5. New Jersey WC

Pacifik:
1. Anaheim
2. Los Angeles
3. San Jose

Central:
1. St. Louis
2. Chicago
3. Dallas
4. Minnesota WC
5. Colorado WC

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

Pitt

Rangers
Philly
Columbus
Washington
New Jersey
Islanders

Carolina

Islanders look like best team in the metropolitan area. Rangers lost a lot in free agency and their subs aren't up to snuff. Obviously, we are going through a rebuilding stage with a popgun offense.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Islanders look like best team in the metropolitan area. Rangers lost a lot in free agency and their subs aren't up to snuff. Obviously, we are going through a rebuilding stage with a popgun offense.

Still think the rangers are a cut above the isles. As for the Devils, a 47 loss team that basically brought the entire team back with the exception of an undersized injury prone 31 year old winger that was added to a woeful group of forwards plus 4 players on D that have yet to play a complete 82 game season and I can't see this team doing any better than 10 or 11 in the conference. And that's if the wheels don't fall off. On the positive side, I think they will finally find out what they have on D this year. I think they'll be a ton of mistakes but hopefully the 4 kids stick and they build from there. But that's not going to help this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Montreal is ridiculously overrated. Just like they were overrated last year before the ECF started, when everyone had them over the Rangers.

Weakest conference finalist in 5 years. The fact that it took the Rangers 6 games to put them away, shows me the Rangers weren't that great either.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Still think the rangers are a cut above the isles. As for the Devils, a 47 loss team that basically brought the entire team back with the exception of an undersized injury prone 31 year old winger that was added to a woeful group of forwards plus 4 players on D that have yet to play a complete 82 game season and I can't see this team doing any better than 10 or 11 in the conference. And that's if the wheels don't fall off. On the positive side, I think they will finally find out what they have on D this year. I think they'll be a ton of mistakes but hopefully the 4 kids stick and they build from there. But that's not going to help this year.

Had the same amount of ROW as Minnesota and 1 more than Detroit.. but ok a 47 loss team... Cammalleri added to a woeful group of forwards, he's only playing with one of the statistically best lines in the NHL last year. :laugh:

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Had the same amount of ROW as Minnesota and 1 more than Detroit.. but ok a 47 loss team... Cammalleri added to a woeful group of forwards, he's only playing with one of the statistically best lines in the NHL last year. :laugh:

They lost 47 games last year. Not sure what line you are referring to as one of the best statistical lines in the league but if it helps you sleep better at night thinking that the devils had one of the best statistical forward lines in the NHL last year so be it. Young team on D weak group of forwards I say no playoffs again.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
They lost 47 games last year. Not sure what line you are referring to as one of the best statistical lines in the league but if it helps you sleep better at night thinking that the devils had one of the best statistical forward lines in the NHL last year so be it. Young team on D weak group of forwards I say no playoffs again.

DkY3inx.png

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Well there you have. Why even watch the games then. LOL! Like I said if you want to believe that than more power to you.

Zajac and Jagr were actually a very good to great pairing, outside of that 2 week stretch where Henrique was on fire, Jagr and Zajac carried the team offensively.

Don't forget that Jagr and Zajac were only paired together around the 20-25th game mark and it took some time for them to develop chemisty. Jagr played at a 70 + Pts pace after Zajac joined him on his line and Zajac himself played at a 60 + Pts clip once he joined Jagr. We also have to remember that Zubrus was their most consistent LW and we all know how much he dragged them down. That line also featured a revolving door of LW's when Zubrus was not on the top line.

If you don't think Cammalleri will improve what was already a great line to begin with then not sure what to say here.

Call me crazy but I see the Devils top line creating two 30 goals scorers (both Jagr and Cammalleri will do it) while that line could see all 3 players hit 60 + Pts.

I said it before and I will say it again, the Devils top line in 2014-15 could be the best line the Devils have had since the days of Elias-Arnott-Sykora.

Last edited:

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Zajac and Jagr were actually a very good to great pairing, outside of that 2 week stretch where Henrique was on fire, Jagr and Zajac carried the team offensively.

Don't forget that Jagr and Zajac were only paired together around the 20-25th game mark and it took some time for them to develop chemisty. Jagr played at a 70 + Pts pace after Zajac joined him on his line and Zajac himself played at a 60 + Pts clip once he joined Jagr. We also have to remember that Zubrus was their most consistent LW and we all know how much he dragged them down. That line also feature a revolving of LW's when Zubrus was not on the type line.

If you don't think Cammalleri will improve what was already a great line to begin with then not sure what to say here.

Call me crazy but I see the Devils top line creating two 30 goals scorers (both Jagr and Cammalleri will do it) while that line could see all 3 players hit 60 + Pts.

I said it before and I will say it again, the Devils top line in 2014-15 could be the best line the Devils have had since the days of Elias-Arnott-Sykora.

Whats strange is that Ryder scored 17 goals! It sure didn't feel like that with the cold streak. If he can put up that many goals while being invisible and quiet for that much of a season imagine what can happen if he is more consistent. That is some extra scoring we forget about.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Any predictions based on individual point totals? Here is a thread from last year made by Semak. Would be neat to compare predictions yearly.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1504355&page=1

No.
Player Pos. ht. wt. Hometown
2. marek zidlicky d 5-11 190 most, czech rep.
5. adam larsson d 6-3 210 skelleftea, swe.
6. andy greene (a) d 5-11 190 trenton, mi
7. jon merrill d 6-3 205 oklahoma city, ok
8. dainius zubrus lw 6-5 225 elektrenai, lit.
9. martin havlat lw 6-2 210 mlada boleslav, czech rep.
11. stephen gionta c 5-7 185 rochester, ny
12. damien brunner rw 5-11 185 zurich, swi.
14. adam henrique c 6-0 195 brantford, ont.
15. tuomo ruutu lw 6-0 205 vantaa, fin.
16. jacob josefson c 6-0 190 stockholm, swe.
17. michael ryder rw 6-1 200 st. john's nfld.
19. travis zajac (A) c 6-3 205 winnipeg, man.
20. jordin tootoo rw 5-9 195 churchill, man.
22. eric gelinas d 6-4 215 vanier, ont.
23. mike cammalleri lw 5-9 190 richmond hill, ont.
24. bryce salvador (c) d 6-3 215 brandon, man.
26. patrik elias (a) C 6-1 195 trebic, czech rep.
28. damon severson d 6-2 205 brandon, man.
29. ryane clowe lw 6-3 225 st. john's, nfld.
35. cory schneider g 6-2 205 marblehead, ma
40. scott clemmensen g 6-2 200 des moines, ia
68. jaromir jagr rw 6-3 230 kladno, czech rep.

Sourced from - http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=733430

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Eklund just picked the Blue Jackets to win the Metro and the Flyers to finish 2nd. I think good ole Dwayne has finally lost it

Clearly he has. BJ's are a question mark until they make the playoffs again IMO.

If they're seriously leading the division after a couple months into the season or somewhere near the top, consider me a believer in them. Until then, they're still a question mark in my mind.

They're what the Islanders were coming into last year, after making the playoffs the year before. Though I don't expect the CBJ to be as dreadful as I did the Islanders last season.

They could finish anywhere between 3-6 in the division in my eyes. Maybe 2nd if the Rangers really do regress.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Player Pos. ht. wt. Hometown
2. marek zidlicky d 5-11 190 most, czech rep. 42
5. adam larsson d 6-3 210 skelleftea, swe. 18
6. andy greene (a) d 5-11 190 trenton, mi 32
7. jon merrill d 6-3 205 oklahoma city, ok 20
8. dainius zubrus lw 6-5 225 elektrenai, lit. 30
9. martin havlat lw 6-2 210 mlada boleslav, czech rep. 47
11. stephen gionta c 5-7 185 rochester, ny 12