2014/2015 Season Predictions

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
2014-2015 NJ Devils Predictions By Major Publications and Web Sites

Please post accordingly as they are released. The Hockey News, TSN, Sporting News, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, etc.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I wanted to create a thread to see how people were feeling about this season... in regard to the Devils and the whole league.

I have to be honest, last season was one the worst for me as a Devils fan... I'm 27 years old so I've been around for a while. I missed the 80s since I was born in 87 and I know they were bad.... but that season as a whole was just boring and frustrating. I am a little excited about this season. It has the potential to be good. I also think the Rangers, Flyers, and Penguins got worse while the Devils got better.

East Standings:

1. Boston Bruins
2. Tampa Bay Lightning
3. Pittsburgh Penguins
4. New York Rangers
5. New Jersey Devils
6. Montreal Canadiens
7. Toronto Maple Leafs
8. Columbus Blue Jackets
-------------
9. Philadelphia Flyers
10. Detroit Red Wings
11. Washington Capitals
12. Ottawa Senators
13. New York Islanders
14. Buffalo Sabres
15. Carolina Hurricanes
16. Florida Panthers

West Standings:

1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. St Louis Blues
3. Anaheim Ducks
4. Lost Angeles Kings
5. Minnesota Wild
6. San Jose Sharks
7. Dallas Stars
8. Colorado Avalanche
-------------
9. Nashville Predators
10. Vancouver Canucks
11. Edmonton Oilers
12. Winnipeg Jets
13. Arizona Coyotes
14. Calgary Flames

League Superlatives:

Top Goal Scorer: Alex Ovechkin
Top Assists: Sidney Crosby
Top Points: Corey Perry
Goalie Wins: Tuukka Rask

Eastern Conference Champions: Boston Bruins
Western Conference Champions: St Louis Blues

CUP: Boston Bruins

Wins for Schneider: 35
Top Goal Scorer: Mike Cammalleri (32)
Biggest Surprise: Martin Havlat
Biggest Disappointment: Dainius Zubrus, Bryce Salvador
Hitting the Waiver Wire: Peter Harrold, Jacob Josefson
Most Likely To Be Traded: Damien Brunner, Jacob Josefson
Shootout Wins: 6

New Jersey Devils record: 48-24-10

Last edited:

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
East Standings:

1. Boston Bruins
2. Tampa Bay Lightning
3. Pittsburgh Penguins
4. Montreal Canadiens
5. New York Rangers
6. Columbus Blue Jackets
7. New Jersey Devils
8. Philadelphia Flyers
-------------
9. Detroit Red Wings
10. Washington Capitals
11. Toronto Maple Leafs
12. Ottawa Senators
13. New York Islanders
14. Florida Panthers
15. Buffalo Sabres
16. Carolina Hurricanes

West Standings:

1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. St Louis Blues
3. Anaheim Ducks
4. San Jose Sharks
5. Los Angeles Kings
6. Minnesota Wild
7. Colorado Avalanche
8. Dallas Stars
-------------
9. Nashville Predators
10. Vancouver Canucks
11. Arizona Coyotes
12. Edmonton Oilers
13. Winnipeg Jets
14. Calgary Flames

League Superlatives:

Top Points: Sidney Crosby
Goalie Wins: Corey Crawford

Western Conference Champions: Chicago Blackhawks

CUP: Chicago Blackhawks

Wins for Schneider: 37
Top Goal Scorer: Mike Cammalleri 31
Biggest Surprise: Ryane Clowe
Biggest Disappointment: Dainius Zubrus, Bryce Salvador, Tuomo Ruutu
Hitting the Waiver Wire: Peter Harrold, Jacob Josefson, Scott Clemmenson
Most Likely To Be Traded: Damien Brunner, Jacob Josefson ,Michael Ryder
Shootout Wins: 5

New Jersey Devils record: 45-30-7

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Corey Perry winning the Art Ross is pretty interesting pick.

According to the board sentiment Zubrus and Salvador can only surprise. Majority seem to think they are black holes on this team.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I think the Ducks are going to be very good this season. Perry will run that first line and power play and get a lot of points. They also have 10m in cap space so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in another offensive weapon.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
How I think the East is gonna shake out

Metro Division
NY Rangers
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Devils (WC)

Atlantic
Boston
Tampa Bay
Montreal
Detroit (WC)

As much as it pains me to say it, I think the Rangers will win the division just because I think the Penguins will be going through a major adjustment period losing a good chunk of the roster and a new coach/GM and will struggle early on. The Rangers are still bringing back their core but I think the Rangers will have problems without Stepan too so there are points to be had early in the season. Both teams are definitely worse than last year. Predicting there will be a three way battle between the Jackets, Devils, and Flyers for the third divisional spot and a wild card spot.

Edit: this is assuming Johansen comes back soon, if he holds out for an extended period of time, that greatly hurts Columbus' chances this year.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I think we are going to be in the 6-10 range. Since the East is so crap I think we have a decent chance. Big factor is how our young Dmen play. We have good depth up front but for sure lack the high end talent. Jagr and Elias slowing down will hurt us if it happens.

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
I wanted to create a thread to see how people were feeling about this season... in regard to the Devils and the whole league.

I have to be honest, last season was one the worst for me as a Devils fan... I'm 27 years old so I've been around for a while. I missed the 80s since I was born in 87 and I know they were bad.... but that season as a whole was just boring and frustrating. I am a little excited about this season. It has the potential to be good. I also think the Rangers, Flyers, and Penguins got worse while the Devils got better.

East Standings:

1. Boston Bruins
2. Tampa Bay Lightning
3. Pittsburgh Penguins
4. New York Rangers
5. New Jersey Devils
6. Montreal Canadiens
7. Toronto Maple Leafs
8. Columbus Blue Jackets
-------------
9. Philadelphia Flyers
10. Detroit Red Wings
11. Washington Capitals
12. Ottawa Senators
13. New York Islanders
14. Buffalo Sabres
15. Carolina Hurricanes
16. Florida Panthers

West Standings:

1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. St Louis Blues
3. Anaheim Ducks
4. Lost Angeles Kings
5. Minnesota Wild
6. San Jose Sharks
7. Dallas Stars
8. Colorado Avalanche
-------------
9. Nashville Predators
10. Vancouver Canucks
11. Edmonton Oilers
12. Winnipeg Jets
13. Arizona Coyotes
14. Calgary Flames

League Superlatives:

Top Points: Corey Perry
Goalie Wins: Tuukka Rask

Western Conference Champions: St Louis Blues

CUP: Boston Bruins

Wins for Schneider: 35
Top Goal Scorer: Mike Cammalleri (32)
Biggest Surprise: Martin Havlat
Biggest Disappointment: Dainius Zubrus, Bryce Salvador
Hitting the Waiver Wire: Peter Harrold, Jacob Josefson
Most Likely To Be Traded: Damien Brunner, Jacob Josefson
Shootout Wins: 6

New Jersey Devils record: 48-24-10

In this scenario, how many games is Cory starting?

I ask because most folks think it will be 60-65.

Let's say Cory only plays 60 ... his best possible record would be 35-15-10 ... meaning the backup goes 13-9. Maybe ambitious, but doable with the right combination of games, I suppose. You could say he might not do as well as that, but then the backup has to be even better.

But if he is playing 65 to get to 35 wins ... let's say he goes 35-20-10 (this is the "best case" scenario using the projected Devils record)

That means that the back up goes 13-4-0.

Guess what I am saying is Cory better have more than 35 wins if he gets 65 starts if the Devils are to get over 105 points :)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have a bold prediction.

One of the Ducks or Blues will struggle this year, due to goaltending problems. I think both will still make the playoffs, but one of them won't be as good as people think. Many question marks in goal. Everyone (other than Blues fans) know that Brian Elliott isn't that good. And the Ducks have two young and inexperienced guys.

I also think if Marty ever plays again, he'll wind up playing for one of those two teams. Though I still think it's highly unlikely he ever plays again. Just a couple random predictions from me.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I don't think Marty is going to play again. I think in he beginning of the season he'll announce his retirement and come work for the Devils.

I can see goaltending being a problem for those teams. St Louis' defense is better than Anaheim's so maybe Anaheim is your team to falter.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Marty is going to play again. I think in he beginning of the season he'll announce his retirement and come work for the Devils.

I can see goaltending being a problem for those teams. St Louis' defense is better than Anaheim's so maybe Anaheim is your team to falter.

I think odds of him playing again are very low. I just think if he plays somewhere else, it would be there.

Both those teams will make the playoffs, but it will be an adventure for one of them.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
We should start a pool for when the Devils get their first shootout win.

(There's gotta be at least one, right?)

GhostofKenKlee

Wild vs. Devils finals. Devils prevail....

Corey gets the Vezina and forty plus wins. he also impresses with more than 8 so's and multiple one goal games.

Calamari (Kosher) gets 30 plus goals.
Biggest suprise: Larrson he showed me alot logging 27 minutes. It also showed me the coaches are ready to make him make Lou back up the brinks trucks.....
Trade fodder: Salvador, Ruutu, Josefson.

Devils got better than most teams. The key in the east is health as so many teams have alot of question marks. I think the biggest question facing the Devils is defense this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I have a bold prediction.

One of the Ducks or Blues will struggle this year, due to goaltending problems. I think both will still make the playoffs, but one of them won't be as good as people think. Many question marks in goal. Everyone (other than Blues fans) know that Brian Elliott isn't that good. And the Ducks have two young and inexperienced guys.

I also think if Marty ever plays again, he'll wind up playing for one of those two teams. Though I still think it's highly unlikely he ever plays again. Just a couple random predictions from me.

i also don't trust boudreau to lead the ducks to the promise land.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i also don't trust boudreau to lead the ducks to the promise land.

They're going nowhere with him as a head coach. Nothing but playoff disappointment and chokejobs, just like in Washington. They'll always make the playoffs, but never get anywhere.

It's funny what Teemu spoke of him. I've been saying it for years. Santa Claus is the most overrated head coach in the league. Perhaps he isn't overrated anymore though, nobody really thinks he's great now. I think most people are now starting to believe what I've been saying for years. I would be shocked if Santa stays head coach there to the end of his current contract.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Devils will surprise a lot of people this year. Getting rid of Brodeur, hopefully getting more shootout luck and adding offensive help up front should get us to at least 95 points.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Devils will surprise a lot of people this year. Getting rid of Brodeur, hopefully getting more shootout luck and adding offensive help up front should get us to at least 95 points.

It's really hard to say especially if Gomer makes the team. With guys like Havlat, Gomez, Ryder and Zubrus on your team you will either thrive or die out. Those duubies aint exactly in their prime anymore.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
It's really hard to say especially if Gomer makes the team. With guys like Havlat, Gomez, Ryder and Zubrus on your team you will either thrive or die out. Those duubies aint exactly in their prime anymore.

But Ryder and Zubrus were bad last year too, so no real difference. Havlat and Gomez can only help, especially compared to the guys they'd be replacing in the lineup (Bernier, Carter, Gionta, Josefson).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If you want to really consider whether this team makes misses the playoffs Gomez/JJ aren't on the radar.

Key questions is

1: Cory. Can he succeed and handle his new workload.
2: Can Jagr repeat his production from last year?
3: can the young D hold up. 5 on 5 and special teams ( PK especially)
4: offense. Can Camm ass thr missing goals we need? Can Ryder bounce back and add the secondary scoring we were missing?

We didn't miss the playoffs by much so those main questions come first. If these come back positive we are at least the 8th seed.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Still think we will struggle in the shoot-out, Schneider is absolute garbage in them.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Still think we will struggle in the shoot-out, Schneider is absolute garbage in them.

Yeah I don't see us winning too many shootouts either. I don't think our shooting percentage will be as bad as last year, but I don't see us winning many.

I could see a scenario where our shooting is much improved, but the goaltending is as horrible as it was last year.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013

some goalies are good at them (the queen, even brodeur when they first started the shootout had the best save % in them ) and some just aren't aka mr 5-hole Cory. Hopefully they don't need to go to many this year because I don't think we win one this year.

bold prediction time.
- Schneider gets 28 wins, (think he will struggle mid season) Backup goalie will come up big in Feb.
- Devils finish 3rd in conference, ahead of both the rangers and Islanders (yes Islanders) who will just make it in 8th.
- Devils make it to 2nd round
- Jagr scores 5 more goals then last year
- IF gomez makes the team and plays all year I think hell get 15 goals (yes I know thats more then he had in the last 5 or 6 years combined) and finish with 42 pts Yes, you may call me crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad