2014/2015 Season Predictions

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
It is tough because there is quite a few unknowns that could push this team further up or down the standings. There is a lot of potential for this to be a pretty damn good team, and risk of it imploding. Jagr and Elias to me aren't apart of that...ya its possible with their age but I don't think it will happen.

One thing I feel pretty safe predicting we won't be setting the world on fire to start the season. I definitely think we will have a better start then last year (not having to start in western Canada for 3 weeks is a big damn plus), but there is going to be adjustment periods. New guys on the roster still need to get settled, kids have to settle. Jagr is going to take a few games to get into his groove. Going to take a few games for Clowe to shake the rust too (yesterday was his first game in a long while). Cory alone and some of the other guys (especially on special teams) will be enough to get us through these first bumps though.

I know a LOT of people like to whip on Sal, but considering he was playing hurt for a good chunk of last year if he is healthy now he might at least be serviceable and not a black hole that everyone expects (which would be a huge gain honestly).

I tend to agree with this. However in regards to Jagr, I think he'll be fine as soon as the regular season starts. I watched some of the scrimmage videos and he's looked good distributing the puck to Cammalleri. He's also not really putting his foot on the gas, he seems to be taking it the easiest during the preseason games he's played in although the last game, that first line showed some great promise. There will be 10 October games and I think Jagr will be a PPG in October and the Devils will finish the month in the top 3 of the East.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I just don't see the devils in the bottom half of the conference barring some sort of major series of unfortunate events. You can beat the old drums of "Jagr is old" "Cammy/Havlat are injury prone" and so on, but I think that the Devils generated a lot of their offense from the blueline in the second half of the year. Translate that over a full year and I think it may minimize an awful lot of the pressure on the forwards.

Plus, when you have guys like Boucher ready to be called up if someone important like Havlat/Cammy goes down, you're not exactly in a horrible situation. I think that the team depth is actually a strength this year now that there's decent top shelf talent on the team with the few additions made.

That being said, if they're going the miss the playoffs again, I don't think it'll be by much, which actually may help us in the McDavid sweepstakes if we end up punching a ticket to it. It's a win-win season, amirite?

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
i wanted to create a thread to see how people were feeling about this season... In regard to the devils and the whole league.

I have to be honest, last season was one the worst for me as a devils fan... I'm 27 years old so i've been around for a while. I missed the 80s since i was born in 87 and i know they were bad.... But that season as a whole was just boring and frustrating. I am a little excited about this season. It has the potential to be good. I also think the rangers, flyers, and penguins got worse while the devils got better.

East standings:

1. Boston bruins
2. Pittsburgh penguins
3. Montreal canadiens
4. Tampa bay lighntning
5. New york rangers
6. Columbus blue jackets
7. New jersey devils
8. Detroit red wings
-------------
9. Philadelphia flyers
10. New york islanders
11. Washington capitals
12. Toronto maple leafs
13. Florida panthers
14. Ottawa senators
15. Carolina hurricanes
16. Buffalo sabres

west standings:

1. Anaheim ducks
2. Chicago blackhawks
3. St louis blues
4. Dallas stars
5. La kings
6. San jose sharks
7. Colorado avalanche
8. Minnesota wild
-------------
9. Nashville predators
10. Arizona coyotes
11. Edmonton oilers
12. Vancouver canucks
13. Calgary flames
14. Winnipeg jets

league superlatives:

Top goal scorer: Steve stamkos
top assists: Sidney crosby
top points: Sidney crosby
goalie wins: Tuuka rask

eastern conference champions: Montreal Canadiens
western conference champions: Chicago Blackhawks

cup: Chicago

wins for scheider: 33
top goal scorer: Adam henrique (34)
biggest surprise: Reid boucher (he'll come up from injury and not return)
biggest disappointment: Dainius zubrus, adam larrson (i just don't see it in him)
hitting the waiver wire: Bernier, josefson, tuutu
most likely to be traded: Michael ryder, josefson
shootout wins: 3

new jersey devils record: 40 - 32 - 10

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
Ed Olczyk in a season preview Q&A in the Post the other day:

Q: Do you expect the Devils back in the playoffs?

A: I expect big things from the Devils this season. They are down a defenseman, but maybe Lou Lamoriello can flip one of the forwards for a D-man. I like where the Devils are going. I like the Mike Cammalleri move a lot. It’s another guy that can put the puck in the back of the net at a drop of a hat. It’ll be interesting to see how the Martin Havlat experiment works out. They are my team to watch in the East.
http://nypost.com/2014/10/02/ed-olczyk-rangers-among-favorites-in-crowded-east/

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think many in the media who don't know this team and its players well are going to be surprised. Our defense will surprise people and Cory is going to surprise people (he shouldn't with his stats, but it seems people in the wide media don't realize how good he is and what 60+ starts is going to do for his statline and for the team as a whole). Defense is going to surprise a lot on both sides of the ice.

I don't expect anything above an average offense, but I do expect special teams to be improved (well the PP, PK I honestly think will remain the same which is fine).

People ignore us at their own peril IMO.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember when we won the cup in 1995 Kevin Allen picked against us EVERY round. One of the few things I will never forget from that cup run.

I remember that too. Someone needs to tell Kevin Allen that Golden Corral's lunch buffet is only $7.99.

All the teams picked for the playoffs were all the teams in the playoffs last year. I see there being some turnover. I'm not a believer in Columbus until they make it in again. They have injury an hold out problems as well.

Montreal isn't that good either. I can easily see them missing the playoffs. I never thought a damn thing about this team. Overrated and I knew the Rangers would get by them in the ECF, despite being nothing special themselves.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Behind Florida in the conference? Really?

Florida collectively has more talent than us on paper. With that said, it will take Gallant some time to mold the team in his image. We have a superior system certainly.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Florida collectively has more talent than us on paper. With that said, it will take Gallant some time to mold the team in his image. We have a superior system certainly.

You can't be serious.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You can't be serious.

I think he actually does believe that.

Florida has a couple nice young players and Luongo. That's about it.

They signed a bunch of mediocre players this Summer. A close to washed up Willie Mitchell, Dave Bolland on a bad contract. Jussi Jokinen, who nobody wanted for free on waivers before the Pens made him look like a superstar last year.

They really aren't good. They're also the only team that didn't get a win all preseason. I would bet their first win comes against us on Saturday night. :rant:

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I think he actually does believe that.

Florida has a couple nice young players and Luongo. That's about it.

They signed a bunch of mediocre players this Summer. A close to washed up Willie Mitchell, Dave Bolland on a bad contract. Jussi Jokinen, who nobody wanted for free on waivers before the Pens made him look like a superstar last year.

They really aren't good. They're also the only team that didn't get a win all preseason. I would bet their first win comes against us on Saturday night. :rant:

Talent =/= potential.

Florida has a bunch of young players with lots of upside in the future, but Bjudgstad - Barkov would get **** on by Zajac - Elias.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like people overrate the Islanders every year, just like they did the Rangers of the early 2000s. Those Rangers teams actually looked much better on paper.

Every year the Rangers were gonna make the playoffs. "Oh look! The Rangers signed the skeleton of Mark Messier! They're making the playoffs!". "The Rangers just acquired the severed head of Eric Lindros! They'll be in the playoffs!". "Did you see the Rangers just traded for Pavel Bure? They're definitely in the playoffs, if not contending for the cup." "They got Jägr now? Alright this time they're DEFINITELY making the playoffs. The drought will end this year!."

That's what the Islanders have become before every season.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
You can't be serious.

Aside from some of our defensemen and Schneider, the devils are not overly talented in comparison to the rest of the NHL. Where the devils shine is playing as a collective unit, but when you compare them player for player, even a downtrodden organization like Florida has the edge. The devils don't have any player like Barkov or Huberdeau. There isn't anyone remotely close to that type of player pedigree in the entire organization.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Aside from some of our defensemen and Schneider, the devils are not overly talented in comparison to the rest of the NHL. Where the devils shine is playing as a collective unit, but when you compare them player for player, even a downtrodden organization like Florida has the edge. The devils don't have any player like Barkov or Huberdeau. There isn't anyone remotely close to that type of player pedigree in the entire organization.

What are you talking about?

Jagr, Zajac, Elias, and Henrique are all clearly better than Barkov and Huberdeau.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
What are you talking about?

Jagr, Zajac, Elias, and Henrique are all clearly better than Barkov and Huberdeau.

I wouldn't trade either of the Florida duo for any of those players. In fact most of the GMs would probably not make any such deal either. Of those 4 Henrique is the only player that is actually improving.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I wouldn't trade either of the Florida duo for any of those players. In fact most of the GMs would probably not make any such deal either. Of those 4 Henrique is the only player that is actually improving.

That isn't the point. The point is that FLA teams isn't more talented than ours. It isn't the system that is keeping them out. Their players are full of potential and don't have the abilities yet to compete against NHL players.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Florida blows. Watch as they collect a top 5 pick next June.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Trade value isn't directly tied to talent. This season I think it's likely that Jagr and Elias produce more than the young players on Florida. Which I think would mean to most reasonable people that Elias and Jagr are currently more talented players than them. That doesn't mean that Florida would trade their young talent for Jagr/Elias, though.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
The Devils are not a bubble team, they are question mark team. How anyone can think otherwise after we had 88pts while going 0-13 in the shootout and starting Brodeur for 39 games is beyond me.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

Trade value and actual production are two different things. All four of these players are likely to be more productive this season than either Huberdeau or Barkov.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Devils are not a bubble team, they are question mark team. How anyone can think otherwise after we had 88pts while going 0-13 in the shootout and starting Brodeur for 39 games is beyond me.

Columbus is also a question mark as well.

Montreal and Detroit might even be bubble teams too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad