2014/2015 Season Predictions

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
some goalies are good at them (the queen, even brodeur when they first started the shootout had the best save % in them ) and some just aren't aka mr 5-hole Cory. Hopefully they don't need to go to many this year because I don't think we win one this year.

bold prediction time.
- Schneider gets 28 wins, (think he will struggle mid season) Backup goalie will come up big in Feb.
- Devils finish 3rd in conference, ahead of both the rangers and Islanders (yes Islanders) who will just make it in 8th.
- Devils make it to 2nd round
- Jagr scores 5 more goals then last year
- IF gomez makes the team and plays all year I think hell get 15 goals (yes I know thats more then he had in the last 5 or 6 years combined) and finish with 42 pts Yes, you may call me crazy.

That and that don't really lineup with each other

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That and that don't really lineup with each other

Maybe he meant 3rd in the division? Though if it's ahead of the rags I don't know who came in 2nd in the Metro.

Metro is hard to predict for me. Only thing I feel certain about is the canes coming in last. Penguins should still get first but that is no guarantee. Almost anyone else can finish almost anywhere IMO.

I can see it being a battle between the rags, us, Columbus, and maybe Philly peaking around for the guaranteed playoff spots.

I don't think much of the Caps personally. Hell I don't think much of most of the division. We have as good a chance as any to finish top 3.

Penguins and rags look like one or two but not locks. I don't think the penguins have addressed their roster flaws and new system could take time to settle. Rags I think are slightly worse then last year. Still they have more then enough to get 2nd in this division but they won't be running away with anything.

Expect a similar race to the finish as last year with almost every spot up for grabs in the final weeks.

Deleted member 28548

Islanders will be a much improved team this year with all the shrewd offseason moves that were made. Think they will be playoff bound this year. Pittsburgh, NY Rangers, Columbus, Detroit should finish ahead of NJ in the final regular season standings. You can never really count out the Red Wings. Throw in the Bruins, Isles, and Canadiens along with the Flyers as likely candidates for postseason play. If Ovechkin plays nice with Trotz and their core remains healthy, they will push for the final spot as well. Devils are without question older and slower in a league where youth, speed, and offense reigns supreme. Injuries could quickly derail all hopes of a playoff push with how much parity there is in the East now. No guarantee this team makes the playoffs as much as I'd like to be optimistic at this point. Its going to be another dogfight to the finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Islanders will be a much improved team this year with all the shrewd offseason moves that were made. Think they will be playoff bound this year. Pittsburgh, NY Rangers, Columbus, Detroit should finish ahead of NJ in the final regular season standings. You can never really count out the Red Wings. Throw in the Bruins, Isles, and Canadiens along with the Flyers as likely candidates for postseason play. If Ovechkin plays nice with Trotz and their core remains healthy, they will push for the final spot as well. Devils are without question older and slower in a league where youth, speed, and offense reigns supreme. Injuries could quickly derail all hopes of a playoff push with how much parity there is in the East now. No guarantee this team makes the playoffs as much as I'd like to be optimistic at this point. Its going to be another dogfight to the finish.

Where did Tampa go? They can easily finish 2nd in the Atlantic.

Detroit did nothing to improve their team. They will be competitive but they were very close to missing last year and could easily miss this year. Columbus is in the same boat.

Injuries could derail any teams playoff hopes. It just doesn't apply to us. Rags are going to miss Stephan while he is out. They lose anyone else for an extended time and suddenly they are behind the 8 ball two months in.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

Detroit and Columbus aren't better than us. They already have loads of injuries. The Islanders still suck, sorry. All they did was bring in a couple 30-40 point players and have tons of question marks on the blueline. I'm not entirely sold on Halak either.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
If you want to really consider whether this team makes misses the playoffs Gomez/JJ aren't on the radar.

Key questions is

1: Cory. Can he succeed and handle his new workload.
2: Can Jagr repeat his production from last year?
3: can the young D hold up. 5 on 5 and special teams ( PK especially)
4: offense. Can Camm ass thr missing goals we need? Can Ryder bounce back and add the secondary scoring we were missing?

We didn't miss the playoffs by much so those main questions come first. If these come back positive we are at least the 8th seed.

Im the most excited about Havlat - Elias combination. For some reason i have the jitters. I have the feeling they are going to play really well together, and we know what Elias is like if he has someone on his line that thinks a like. That's what im excited about this season and I do believe that will be our breakit or not factor. I mean it's our 3rd line basically, whether they score or not will be a huge deal. Remember last time we had a solid 3rd line? Some Frankenstein called Holik was centering it. A tad far fetched and Havlat + Elias play a different kind of a game, but I hope you got my point.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Hope I'm totally wrong with this, but...

East Standings:

1. Boston Bruins
2. Tampa Bay Lightning
3. Pittsburgh Penguins
4. New York Rangers
5. Montreal Canadiens
6. Detroit Red Wings
7. Philadelphia Flyers
8. Columbus Blue Jackets
-------------
9. New Jersey Devils
10. Toronto Maple Leafs
11. Washington Capitals
12. Ottawa Senators
13. New York Islanders
14. Florida Panthers
15. Carolina Hurricanes
16. Buffalo Sabres

West Standings:

1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. St Louis Blues
3. Anaheim Ducks
4. San Jose Sharks
5. Lost Angeles Kings
6. Dallas Stars
7. Colorado Avalanche
8. Minnesota Wild
-------------
9. Nashville Predators
10. Winnipeg Jets
11. Arizona Coyotes
12. Vancouver Canucks
13. Edmonton Oilers
14. Calgary Flames

League Superlatives:

Top Goal Scorer: Ovechkin
Top Assists: Sidney Crosby
Top Points: Crosby
Goalie Wins: Tuukka Rask

Eastern Conference Champions: Boston Bruins
Western Conference Champions: Chicago

CUP: Boston Bruins

Wins for Schneider: 27
Top Goal Scorer: Mike Cammalleri (29)
Biggest Surprise: Adam Larsson
Biggest Disappointment: Ryder
Hitting the Waiver Wire: Peter Harrold, Bernier (before season?)
Most Likely To Be Traded: Jacob Josefson, Ryder
Shootout Wins: 3

New Jersey Devils record: 38-34-10

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Im the most excited about Havlat - Elias combination. For some reason i have the jitters. I have the feeling they are going to play really well together, and we know what Elias is like if he has someone on his line that thinks a like. That's what im excited about this season and I do believe that will be our breakit or not factor. I mean it's our 3rd line basically, whether they score or not will be a huge deal. Remember last time we had a solid 3rd line? Some Frankenstein called Holik was centering it. A tad far fetched and Havlat + Elias play a different kind of a game, but I hope you got my point.

See I didn't put it as a make or break point because I don't think our season depends on Havlat breaking out. If he does then we just jump up the rankings more. The things I listed are the things I think will determine whether or not we are at least the 8th see.

Also I think you will be wrong Billington. I don't think Philly will be a playoff team and both Detroit and Columbus look like 7 and 8 seed teams again to me. Pushed up depending on where we fall (as I think we will be in too).

Also don't think the Bruins win the cup. Still like the west to much. Chicago is my safe bet, but any of the top west teams could easily take it.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
See I didn't put it as a make or break point because I don't think our season depends on Havlat breaking out. If he does then we just jump up the rankings more. The things I listed are the things I think will determine whether or not we are at least the 8th see.

Also I think you will be wrong Billington. I don't think Philly will be a playoff team and both Detroit and Columbus look like 7 and 8 seed teams again to me. Pushed up depending on where we fall (as I think we will be in too).

Also don't think the Bruins win the cup. Still like the west to much. Chicago is my safe bet, but any of the top west teams could easily take it.

Fair enough...

I think how far we go depends upon our forwards living up to expectations.

I'd like to think last year was an aberration, but watching that Philly game with Schneids in net gave me flashbacks to last year - and I just see more of it. I don't think his record last year was 'bad luck' or voodoo... I think this team is going to find it a challenge to score goals again, and I think they'll be some legit holes in his game that will be exposed - particularly with young Dmen.

Tough to pick a cup winner - although I think Chicago is a good pick...

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland

If your 4th point accounts for Havlat's production as well, then your list seems somewhat accurate. :)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I get the feeling Ryder is going to lead the team in goals.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Detroit did nothing to improve their team. They will be competitive but they were very close to missing last year and could easily miss this year. Columbus is in the same boat.

Detroit and Columbus aren't better than us. They already have loads of injuries.

Injuries nearly helped as much as they hurt Detroit last season. I hate saying there's a benefit to injuries - but in the ways that we think we screwed some of our young guys (which I still think is overblown), I think Detroit did that 10 fold. They have a lot of talented young forwards that weren't getting many opportunities.
Nyquist isn't likely to light the world on fire as much as last season, but a few more games of Tatar, Jurco or even Mantha could over come that.

I'm not even close to being 100% sold on their defense, but they'll be fighting in the same bubble that we're in, I think.

I get the feeling Ryder is going to lead the team in goals.

I could see that happening. So long as he doesn't go cold again. I wonder how Henrique & Ryder coexist as linemates this time around. On paper, it doesn't seem to work to me, but I'll wait and see how it works this time around.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Given their limitations last year I have a difficult time not seeing the Devils improving this season; that said, the East is such a hodge-podge that that could mean finishing anywhere from second in the Metro to outright missing the playoffs again.

The biggest things this season, for me, are Cory getting the vast majority of the starts and the young defensemen growing into their roles. If Cory stays healthy and effective, and if the blue line matures over the course of the season to a reasonable degree, I have to figure they at least project to finish around 4th in the division.

The entire Metro is incredibly flawed, and the Atlantic isn't much better.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

The devils will be in the mix if their defense grows up fast. If not than they're probably a lower 3rd team. Cory or no cory, I don't really think the goaltender will be the primary factor for how the team finishes.

GhostofKenKlee

I think Cory can carry this team more than Henrik in NY. It will be clearer, plus the Devils have a vast number of weapons than in years past.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I could see us going either way this year. Even with the additions of Cammalleri and Havlat, our margin for error is still pretty slim. If Jagr or Elias hit the wall, we're in trouble. I don't think that will happen, but I've long since learned anything is possible with this team. I thought we were going to be good in 2010-11 and it was a disaster. I didn't have particularly high hopes in 2011-12 and we went to the Cup Final. I pretty much give up trying to predict anything.:laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I could see us going either way this year. Even with the additions of Cammalleri and Havlat, our margin for error is still pretty slim. If Jagr or Elias hit the wall, we're in trouble. I don't think that will happen, but I've long since learned anything is possible with this team. I thought we were going to be good in 2010-11 and it was a disaster. I didn't have particularly high hopes in 2011-12 and we went to the Cup Final. I pretty much give up trying to predict anything.:laugh:

It is tough because there is quite a few unknowns that could push this team further up or down the standings. There is a lot of potential for this to be a pretty damn good team, and risk of it imploding. Jagr and Elias to me aren't apart of that...ya its possible with their age but I don't think it will happen.

One thing I feel pretty safe predicting we won't be setting the world on fire to start the season. I definitely think we will have a better start then last year (not having to start in western Canada for 3 weeks is a big damn plus), but there is going to be adjustment periods. New guys on the roster still need to get settled, kids have to settle. Jagr is going to take a few games to get into his groove. Going to take a few games for Clowe to shake the rust too (yesterday was his first game in a long while). Cory alone and some of the other guys (especially on special teams) will be enough to get us through these first bumps though.

I know a LOT of people like to whip on Sal, but considering he was playing hurt for a good chunk of last year if he is healthy now he might at least be serviceable and not a black hole that everyone expects (which would be a huge gain honestly).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Behind Florida in the conference? Really?

I have Florida in the bottom 5 in the league. Luongo might keep them from being bottom 3.

I do think they'll win the season series against us, after we blow some large lead. Likely starting with next Saturday. They'll be in the McDavid sweepstakes. They haven't even won a single game this preseason. That team is straight up awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad