Salary Cap: 2014-2015 Roster Building Thread - Part V for Vendetta | Don't Hate on Greasy Neal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
either way, I don't buy it. We aren't getting Lupul and a first for Martin. I'm not sure we'd get Lupul.

With his injury history, we may be able to pull it off. High risk deal, but I'd do it.

It would definitely be considered a steal if we pulled it off

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
With his injury history, we may be able to pull it off. High risk deal, but I'd do it.

It would definitely be considered a steal if we pulled it off

And we'd be a worse team next year with Lupul instead of Martin; no doubt in my mind. Worth it long term? Maybe. Short term, it would suck.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
And we'd be a worse team next year with Lupul instead of Martin; no doubt in my mind. Worth it long term? Maybe. Short term, it would suck.

Let's be honest, we're not winning the cup next year...might as well make a deal that shows this team that no one outside of Sid and Geno is safe, get em to buck em and get their **** together.

I do understand however, that our defense blows **** on paper. So there's that to consider

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Let's be honest, we're not winning the cup next year...might as well make a deal that shows this team that no one outside of Sid and Geno is safe, get em to buck em and get their **** together.

I do understand however, that our defense blows **** on paper. So there's that to consider

I hope our new GM doesn't think that way. I'm not looking for next year to be a throwaway transition year. The goal of next season should be to win the Cup. Should we focus a bit more on retooling and less on going All-In? Yes. But we shouldn't go in with any lower aspirations than winning the Cup. We better be getting damn good long term benefits in any trades that make us a worse team in the short term. I don't think Lupul is good enough to be worth it.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I hope our new GM doesn't think that way. I'm not looking for next year to be a throwaway transition year. The goal of next season should be to win the Cup. Should we focus a bit more on retooling and less on going All-In? Yes. But we shouldn't go in with any lower aspirations than winning the Cup.

I hope he makes moves that make us a Cup contender. That speed, grit and character **** that came out of Mario's mouth better translate into moves that make us into Cup contenders

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Closest example I can think of is Pronger when he was traded to Philly. He was a pending UFA. Similar age to Martin. Obviously he was still a legit #1 and you'd have to downsize the return accordingly, but Martin can remain a strong #2D for a long time. Have to find a team who's desperate for one.

Pronger went for Lupul (25 at the time and coming off a 50 pt season), Sbisa (19th overall pick the year before) and two 1sts.

I'd say you can get a productive forward and a prospect that's NHL ready.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Closest example I can think of is Pronger when he was traded to Philly. He was a pending UFA. Similar age to Martin. Obviously he was still a legit #1 and you'd have to downsize the return accordingly, but Martin can remain a strong #2D for a long time. Have to find a team who's desperate for one.

Pronger went for Lupul (25 at the time and coming off a 50 pt season), Sbisa (19th overall pick the year before) and two 1sts.

I'd say you can get a productive forward and a prospect that's NHL ready.

But that was Holmgren who made the deal wasn't it?

So let's get Anaheim to make that deal somehow :lol:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Solid competition for BB

tumblr_mryre8XsKZ1r4gyjbo1_500.png

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
But that was Holmgren who made the deal wasn't it?

So let's get Anaheim to make that deal somehow :lol:

Anaheim will definitely be a team hunting for an established player to fill a hole in their lineup. Top 4 defender and #2C in particular.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Boston played its best hockey with a bunch of young nobodies in the defensive rotations... heck our best hockey was played without Martin, Letang, Scuderi, or Orpik... yes we have to account for the Maatta and Pouliot injuries for the start of the season, but two vets and 4 young guys is 100% acceptable Despres, Maatta, and Bortuzzo should be counted on for heavy minutes down the stretch. Dumoulin is ready. Pouliot almost made the team out of camp last year. Ulf jr needs a shot... then you have Harrington and Roupp, you aren't going to rely on them for major roles, but they have reached the injury fill in stage... that's nine right there on top of whomever is retained from letang/Martin/Scuds/Nisky/Orps/Engellend... its far from a bad situation... we should have moved Nisky at the deadline, and maybe orpik too... we still may be able to get something for their rights... we just cannot be afraid to have 3 or 4 very young guys taking big minutes because its the way teams are winning in this age of the NHL

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Anaheim will definitely be a team hunting for an established player to fill a hole in their lineup. Top 4 defender and #2C in particular.

Let's just trade them Sutter while we're at it...

They were one of the big players for Kesler, but he's going nowhere. And unless they somehow get the capspace sign Stastny, it's still a solid lineup with Getz, Stastny with Sutter.

Sutter can run with the big boys as he's shown this postseason, I have no idea who their wingers are but a Bonino-Sutter-whoever is one good line.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I always find it entertaining how a pick is worth more than a top end established player.

Every first round pick is the next Mario. But the reality is almost half of first round picks do not have a career. And beyond the first? Ridiculously low chances. Picks are not worthless, but not worth a tenth what most here think:

Success rate of first-round draft picks

Of the 494 career players drafted in the 1990s, 160 were selected in the first round.
Of those 160 career players, over half have played more than 500 NHL games.
Among the older players (those drafted from 1990 to 1994), six first-round picks have made it to 1,000 games. Another couple of dozen are still active and within reach of 1,000.
Based on the 1990s sample, a first-round draft pick has a 63 percent chance of being a career player.

Beyond the first round.

This is where the NHL dream begins to fade in a hurry:

From 1990 to 1999, about one-quarter of the players selected in the second round turned into NHL career players.
Those drafted in the third round and beyond are really up against it.

From over 2,000 players selected in the third round and beyond during 1990s, just 261 made it as NHL career players. That's about 12 percent.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/f/draft_success.htm

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Every first round pick is the next Mario. But the reality is almost half of first round picks do not have a career. And beyond the first? Ridiculously low chances. Picks are not worthless, but not worth a tenth what most here think

Oh I know. I mean there's definitely value to high end picks... but when someone's like you'll have to add to Eberle/Letang for a top 3 pick... it's hilarious. You hope that those picks turn into players like them. And then when you're talking about a pick outside of the top 3/5 !?!? I get there's teams where it doesn't make sense to move a top pick for someone who's not young... but value wise it's not even close.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Oh I know. I mean there's definitely value to high end picks... but when someone's like you'll have to add to Eberle/Letang for a top 3 pick... it's hilarious. You hope that those picks turn into players like them. And then when you're talking about a pick outside of the top 3/5 !?!? I get there's teams where it doesn't make sense to move a top pick for someone who's not young... but value wise it's not even close.

Three of every four second round picks do not have NHL careers.

Think on that for a moment, and then watch how people are going crazy that we gave up two seconds. Three of four.

12% of third round picks and below. 12 %.

That is not to say that those picks are worthless. Some great players come from those rounds. Saad was a second round pick. Letang was a third round pick.

But for every Letang there are 9 other picks that at most have a cup of coffee in the NHL and then work at McDonalds.

So going crazy over losing a couple of seconds is . . . . . . . . . . crazy.

As for our first this year, I am excited about the kind of player who should be available, but I am reminded of my freshman year biology class, which was the weed out class for premeds. And they told me look to my right, look to my left, if you make it both of those people will likely be gone by the time this semester ends. Our chances at 22 of getting a usable player is about 50/50. I am not talking a star, merely a player that logs a couple hundred games at least in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad