Salary Cap: 2014-2015 Roster Building Thread - Part V for Vendetta | Don't Hate on Greasy Neal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Its too much for most of our assets, and its not enough for Letang.

You wouldn't move Letang for Carter and Jones?! Carter has a 5.3m cap hit for 8 more seasons (till he's 37), and Jones is a very good G prospect that's ready for the NHL (at least backup duty). Carter has averaged 30+ goals a season (0.4 GPG) and can play anywhere up front.

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Kulemin - Malkin - Carter
Bennett - Sutter - Dupuis

That's a pretty decent looking top 9 with speed and size throughout.

That said... LA would never do that deal.

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
You wouldn't move Letang for Carter and Jones?! Carter has a 5.3m cap hit for 8 more seasons (till he's 37), and Jones is a very good G prospect that's ready for the NHL (at least backup duty). Carter has averaged 30+ goals a season (0.4 GPG) and can play anywhere up front.

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Kulemin - Malkin - Carter
Bennett - Sutter - Dupuis

That's a pretty decent looking top 9 with speed and size throughout.

That said... LA would never do that deal.

I got a buddy that's a kings fan. He said they have another goalie coming up and are against the cap want gaborik back and couple of there d to resign

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The more I think about it, I say we keep Tanger and Martin. Pair each with Despres and Maatta. Bring them along that way. Extend Martin. Let Nisky walk. Spend that money on a forward in free agency. Keep Scuds as insurance with Maatta being out for the first part of the season and in case Maatta or Despres struggle with the quality of competition/minutes they're facing at some point.

He'll be serviceable with some more structure to our game, and he'll be more easily traded for cap purposes when the time comes. Ideally when our next wave of young D make the jump to the NHL.

Nimos

May 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
The more I think about it, I say we keep Tanger and Martin. Pair each with Despres and Maatta. Bring them along that way. Extend Martin. Let Nisky walk. Spend that money on a forward in free agency. Keep Scuds as insurance with Maatta being out for the first part of the season and in case Maatta or Despres struggle with the quality of competition/minutes they're facing at some point.

He'll be serviceable with some more structure to our game, and he'll be more easily traded for cap purposes when the time comes. Ideally when our next wave of young D make the jump to the NHL.

I said basically this a couple days ago. Got kind of washed out because I said I was okay with giving Ryan Callahan 7 million. This is the most realistic scenario we've got. Fill the D core with young guys, let Nisky walk, use the cap space to sign wingers for Sid and Geno and give raises to our RFA's. That's the most realistic plan, but if you do that you've got to find a way to still shake up the locker room. This is where Callahan comes in for me, but if anybody has other suggestions.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Nisky would thrive in Philly. Look at the TOI Timonen got, than put Nisky in that position with that forward group of Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Hartnell, Read, Vinny, Schenn, Couts and Raffl...yeah his offensive numbers would be pretty damn high. That powerplay will be ridiculous...

Simmonds-Giroux-Hartnell
Nisky-Voracek

Yeah, I hope he doesn't go there

if Niskanen signs in Philly as Timonen's replacement, they will have a D exclusively made of #3/4/5 defenseman... they will have no legit first pairing guy...

sounds pretty good for the Pens to me...

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
if Niskanen signs in Philly as Timonen's replacement, they will have a D exclusively made of #3/4/5 defenseman... they will have no legit first pairing guy...

sounds pretty good for the Pens to me...

Nisky would transform into a #1 IMO...there's not much talent on their back end and with that forward group he'd be a stud

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hi, Jets fan here.

If you guys are prepared to trade Neal & Maatta for Kane, then you'll have a deal. Otherwise some in this thread are sort of being presumptuous to assume that Kane is even available. Offers that include any of Kunitz, Sutter, Fleury, Bennett, picks, etc, don't cut it. Kane for Neal straight up won't happen either, as that is less than a lateral move for Winnipeg - considering the additional facets to Kane's game.

The thinking in Winnipeg is that the Jets are building a young core group and that Kane fits ideally into it right now. The Jets are much more likely to trade an older veteran (like Byfuglien) as such versus moving a Kane - unless a GM offers a substantive overpayment that prompts them to move him.

Kane will only be traded if it makes the Jets a better team today and in the future. If you want one of Winnipeg's young stars (Kane), then the cost will be punitive.

Cheers.

I would not trade Maatta straight up for Kane, so you can forget Neal+Maatta.

Neal and Kane are equal in my book. Neal's extra goal scoring ability / shot close the gap with Kane's little extra grit.

Kane for Neal is a lateral move for both teams. The value is too close for there to be any other components.

Don't like the trade opinions here, get off the board and go back to yours.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I disagree. I don't see him being successful playing on any team's top pairing full time.

If it's a team who plays a system like LA, I think he will be successful. Now to think of another team who does that is difficult...

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I would only do Maatta for Kane straight up if we're making a deal for Ryan bringing in young wingers to compete for top 6 spots

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I said basically this a couple days ago. Got kind of washed out because I said I was okay with giving Ryan Callahan 7 million. This is the most realistic scenario we've got. Fill the D core with young guys, let Nisky walk, use the cap space to sign wingers for Sid and Geno and give raises to our RFA's. That's the most realistic plan, but if you do that you've got to find a way to still shake up the locker room. This is where Callahan comes in for me, but if anybody has other suggestions.

Don't have a problem with the young D core, not a bad idea.

I do not think, however, that Callahan is worth more than $5 million, and that is if I am being incredibly generous. He did zilch in the playoffs for Tampa, and I mean literally nothing. He is a glorified grinder who got NBC and TSN hot on a pogo stick because he was an American captain on the New York Rangers.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Nisky would transform into a #1 IMO...there's not much talent on their back end and with that forward group he'd be a stud

kind of a contradictory statement...

so he's going to become a #1 judging by his play or the Flyers will use him as such?

because if it is the later they are ****ed...

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
kind of a contradictory statement...

so he's going to become a #1 judging by his play or the Flyers will use him as such?

because if it is the later they are ****ed...

Bit of both.

He's only 27 so there's always room for improvement since he's at his prime. And he'll be used in every situation so he'll have the opportunity to thrive

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Bit of both.

He's only 27 so there's always room for improvement since he's at his prime. And he'll be used in every situation so he'll have the opportunity to thrive

or being used in every situation will force his weaknesses to shine through. I think there's a very good chance that Matt Niskanen just played the best season of his career.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
or being used in every situation will force his weaknesses to shine through. I think there's a very good chance that Matt Niskanen just played the best season of his career.

That is also a very high possibility. That's why I think he's the biggest high risk-high reward player out there

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The more I think about it the more I realize that we can't afford not to resign Niskanen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That is also a very high possibility. That's why I think he's the biggest high risk-high reward player out there

I think he's pretty safe to sign as a 2nd pairing guy. The key for me would be to avoid a no trade clause. Unless he completely crashes and burns, there will be takers for him even if he has a mediocre year next year. Sign him then ship him out when we can replace him from within a bit more effectively if we need the cap space or roster spot. Losing Niskanen and Martin in back to back years would put a LOT of pressure on the kids to take on huge roles very quickly.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Just throwing it out there, but Matt Niskanen was removed from the Pittsburgh Penguins Penalty Kill unit at the end of the year.

Maybe it was fatigue and them just wanting him on the PP more, but he didnt get SH time in the playoffs, either, from what I remember.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I think he's pretty safe to sign as a 2nd pairing guy. The key for me would be to avoid a no trade clause. Unless he completely crashes and burns, there will be takers for him even if he has a mediocre year next year. Sign him then ship him out when we can replace him from within a bit more effectively. Or if he continues to play this well, keep him when Martin moves on.

It's still risky for the money he'll command. If he's willing to take 4.5 for 5 years than yes, but anything more I feel like we should let him go.

As for the Martin situation, keep him...he's the only one who had Letang playing like he could

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad