Salary Cap: 2014-2015 Roster Building Thread - Part V for Vendetta | Don't Hate on Greasy Neal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think the assumption is that Kane wants out of Winnipeg and the Jets would be willing to grant him his wish. If that's not true, then he won't be traded. If it is true, then can they really get more than a guy who over the last 3 years has been on a 40G/82game pace and is signed for less than Kane for the same amount of years? They aren't going to give him away, but getting Neal back is far from giving him away. Adding Maatta to the deal is crazy.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I like what I saw from him this year, but the truth is it was a contract year for a guy who, at one point, was a throw-in in the Neal trade - I sincerely doubt he continues the level of play we saw from him this year. Someone is going to pay him based on this season though ($5.5-6+ million x 4-5) and they're going to regret it. Like I said, I like the guy, but I'd love nothing more than for Philly to be the team that signs him to that contract only for it to bite them in the ass for the next half decade.

I don't know what Nisky being a throw in to the Neal deal has anything to do with, Nisky was a 1st round pick, he has talent.

The contract year argument is a fair argument, but i look at Nisky as a player that is 27 years old just hitting his prime, i think he will go on to have a solid career as a 2nd pairing d man for the next 5 to 7 years.

I'd much rather see the Flyers sign another Mark Streit or Vinny Lecavalier instead of Nisky.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Nisky would thrive in Philly. Look at the TOI Timonen got, than put Nisky in that position with that forward group of Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Hartnell, Read, Vinny, Schenn, Couts and Raffl...yeah his offensive numbers would be pretty damn high. That powerplay will be ridiculous...

Simmonds-Giroux-Hartnell
Nisky-Voracek

Yeah, I hope he doesn't go there

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Niskanen would help Philadelphia an inordinate amount for the type of player he is. Frustrating enough idea that it will probably happen.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I was wondering the same thing. They do have some contracts coming off the books, but they just overpaid for a defenseman. Another $6 million per year? They would likely pretend someone got hurt again and put him on LTR maybe?

Philly worries about the numbers at a later date lol

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Sid got better, why did his production take such a huge hit when Dupuis went out this year?

Because he went from playing with a crappy player he knew well and had played with for several years, to an even crappier player he didn't know and didn't mesh with.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
again, Geno had his best season playing with Kunitz and Neal.

While true, also consider that Crosby wasn't there for most of it, meaning Malkin was getting all the prime offensive situations/minutes, etc, and all the PP/offense was all running through him.

Look at guys like Poni who put up 60 points in Toronto. When given icetime and offensive situations, there will be some production.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Hemsky isn't a soft player. He's not gritty or a grinder... but he doesn't shy away from contact, and will take a hit to make a play.

Hemsky has the weirdest reputation on hfboards (not just the Penguins board, the entire site).

I would have loved him for a 3rd round pick at the deadline. He's a good player.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hemsky has the weirdest reputation on hfboards (not just the Penguins board, the entire site).

I would have loved him for a 3rd round pick at the deadline. He's a good player.

Yes, it's weird. He's not soft, sound defensively, highly skilled, and is a very smart player. He's fast and has a wicked wrister - although he rarely uses it - and that honestly is his biggest knock against him. He's like Martin when it comes to taking or making a hit. He'll take it all day long, and will occasionally make one... but it's not really his game. And yet that somehow translates to being a soft player.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010

But we got Goc for the same price and misused him to a ****ing tee :yo:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
How would they afford him?

I was wondering the same thing. They do have some contracts coming off the books, but they just overpaid for a defenseman. Another $6 million per year? They would likely pretend someone got hurt again and put him on LTR maybe?

I don't think they overpaid MacDonald. I'm more inclined to think his salary is the new sea level for players like him. He's the first, not the last.

Philly worries about the numbers at a later date lol

Basically. Philadelphia always figures out a way to make their cap situation work.

Schenn's probably not getting much of a raise (his base salary was low, but his base plus bonuses was over $3 million, which is about what a 20 goal RFA forward that can't play a lick of D should expect to make on his next contract). Timonen's contract disappears. Laughton makes less than Glass did for us.

They're not in as bad shape as they often are. And there are more options to free up cap-space.

Grossman's a guy some team might want and losing him doesn't really hurt them (especially when they've already got Gustafsson and maybe Gotsisbehere needing ice time). Other Schenn's the same way. Maybe they sell high on Coburn. Buy out Vinnie (etc).

Flyers have never been afraid of making bold moves when they want something. If I was them, I probably would want Niskanen.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't think they overpaid MacDonald. I'm more inclined to think his salary is the new sea level for players like him. He's the first, not the last.

Basically. Philadelphia always figures out a way to make their cap situation work.

Schenn's probably not getting much of a raise (his base salary was low, but his base plus bonuses was over $3 million, which is about what a 20 goal RFA forward that can't play a lick of D should expect to make on his next contract). Timonen's contract disappears. Laughton makes less than Glass did for us.

They're not in as bad shape as they often are. And there are more options to free up cap-space.

Grossman's a guy some team might want and losing him doesn't really hurt them (especially when they've already got Gustafsson and maybe Gotsisbehere needing ice time). Other Schenn's the same way. Maybe they sell high on Coburn. Buy out Vinnie (etc).

Flyers have never been afraid of making bold moves when they want something. If I was them, I probably would want Niskanen.

$11 million of their cap for MacDonald and Niskanen?

And Flyer fans give us hell for $18 million tied up in the best two players in the world.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
$11 million of their cap for MacDonald and Niskanen?

And Flyer fans give us hell for $18 million tied up in the best two players in the world.

You can afford to pay Niskanen and MacDonald $11 million a year when Simmonds and Voracek are making a combined $8 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad