Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part I* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 10/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Jesus. That's crazy.

So how did Buchnevich look overall?

He looked good, but he was not playing with the top line, and they ate up alot of PP time.

But even still, he almost setup the tying goal with a nice pass from behind the net with 4 minutes left. He's a mature player for his age, makes the right decisions when pressured, never gave up the puck.

I was really impressed with the Dman Pavel Lukin, Dman Adam Almqvist (DET), Center David Ullstrom (NYI), Forward Sergei Monakhov, and even though he didn't get much icetime Sergei Kuptsov, 6'2 200 Winger who flies around the ice.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He looked good, but he was not playing with the top line, and they ate up alot of PP time.

But even still, he almost setup the tying goal with a nice pass from behind the net with 4 minutes left. He's a mature player for his age, makes the right decisions when pressured, never gave up the puck.

I was really impressed with the Dman Pavel Lukin, Dman Adam Almqvist (DET), Center David Ullstrom (NYI), Forward Sergei Monakhov, and even though he didn't get much icetime Sergei Kuptsov, 6'2 200 Winger who flies around the ice.

I didn't realize Ullstrom was still in the K. Hmm.

I wonder why Buchnevich didn't get that much TOI? It's not the first time it's happened this year. Is it because the coach doesn't like something he's doing, or is it just one of those "I'm playing the veteran players regardless of the talent of the youth" things you sometimes see in Russia?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
The coach is trying to spread the wealth, maybe catch the opponent with bottom pairings while Buch is out there. His linemates didn't do much, didn't seem the puck possession type, all north/south.

Cherepovets had alot of chances on the PP they just couldn't bury or beat the tender, I can see why the coach stuck with that first unit, but then Buch wasn't out on the 2nd unit much, when he was he'd get out there with 30 seconds left on the PP. Meh, either way the kid looks fantastic, didn't realize how mature his game is shaping up to be. Ever 'forward' ! :D

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Rangers Long-Term Depth and Needs

Obviously teams change a lot over the course of 3-4 years, but it's still worth it to look at where the team stands going forward to know what the needs are. This is what I came up with as far as where we are projected to be in 3-4 years. Chances are that none of the prospects drafted in 2015 (particularly without a first rounder) will be ready to play a significant role 3-4 years from now, though we will acquire some people in the coming seasons. But this allows us to see what we need to acquire for long-term success.

CENTERS

Established: Stepan, Brassard

Rookies likely to make it: Miller

Need: A scoring center, a fourth line center

Prospects: Lindberg, Nieves, St. Croix, Fogarty, Tambellini, Iverson

Outlook: We should be in decent shape and we'll definitely be able to produce the bottom-6 center, but we need to draft several more guys like St. Croix. Sure, the vast majority will fail, but the hope is that we can do at center what we did a year ago on the wing and draft Buchnevich and Duclair. Definitely need to focus on drafting offensive centers.

TOP-6 WINGS*
* LWs and RWs are together because many can play both sides.

Established: Rick Nash, Mats Zuccarello, Chris Kreider

Needs: A single top-6 winger

Prospects (those with a top-6 ceiling): Hayes, Haggerty, Buchnevich, Duclair, Kristo

Outlook: Very strong while Nash is here. I'm certain at least one of the prospects makes it into the top-6. Once Nash is gone, it might open a hole if we don't get two prospects making the top-6. The signing of Hayes makes the situation here look more palatable for the post-Nash era.
* I placed Hayes on the wing because AV says Hayes told him he is more comfortable there despite the preseason experiment.

BOTTOM-6 WINGS

Established: Carl Hagelin

Needs: Three bottom-6 wingers, at least 1-2 of whom should have size and snarl

Prospects: Fast, Hrivik, Bourque, Yogan, McCarthy, Nejezchleb, Kantor, Nicholls (plus potentially Hayes, Haggerty, Buchnevich, Duclair, Kristo)

Outlook: Not bad because I'm relatively confident Fast will join Hagelin on the third line, but we lack players or prospects with size and snarl. We will probably add even more speed to the team with our prospects. which is great, but we do lack anyone who can bulldoze over people.

LEFT DEFENSE

Established: McDonagh, Staal, JoMo

Risk: Staal may be lost to free agency

Needs: Potentially we'll need to replace Staal next season

Prospects: Skjei, Allen, Graves, Bodie, Walcott

Outlook: If Staal is resigned, we are beyond loaded here. If he lives, it's a risk, but I think one of these guys makes it. That said, none are likely to be a top-4 defenseman next year, so we'll need to sign a veteran replacement for Staal to bridge us to the youngsters. On the third pairing, either JoMo or Allen will do a more than capable job. The first pair has one of the top blueliners in the game in McDonagh.

RIGHT DEFENSE

Established: Girardi, Klein

Needs: Potentially we'll need to replace Girardi is he slows down. We'll also need to add one quality RD

Prospects: McIlrath, Zamorsky, Hughes, Noreau, Andersson, Mantha, Nanne, Donnay

Outlook: I am confident that one of these 8 defensemen will become a third pair blue liner, but only McIlrath has top-4 potential. Love the size here, but we need to keep loading this side in case McIlrath is not a top-4 defenseman. The Rangers have obviously been doing this by signing UDFAs and drafted kids in mid-rounds as a hedge on McIlrath, and they'd be wise to continue doing this.

GOALTENDERS

Established: Lundqvist, Talbot

Needs: Potentially we'll need to replace Talbot if he leaves as a UFA. In about half a dozen years, we'll need to replace Lundqvist.

Prospects: Skapski, Halverson, Shestyorkin, Missiaen

Outlook: I like Shestyorkin a lot, but statistically the odds of a goalie not drafted in the top 3 rounds becoming a starter are under 3%. Missiaen won't play in the NHL. Halverson is a decent prospect, but also under 10% of becoming a starter based on where he was drafted and the fact that goalies tend to go bust a lot. Skapski has talent, but is still very far from the NHL to the point where he couldn't even get into a preseason game and may start the season in the ECHL. While we think that the 3 goalies we drafted may be the end of the line, the Rangers will probably draft at least 1-2 more goalies in the coming years. If one of them steps up, they will gamble on him, but if that won't happen, look for them to escalate their goalie draft picks when Lundqvist goes into the second half of his 30s.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
While you always draft BPA, all things being equal, I'd like to draft one safe big winger projected for the bottom-6 and one center with a lot of offense with our two second rounders. Then only have 3 and 4th round picks, so I'd want to draft another offense-first forward and another big right defenseman like Noreau or Mantha.

Every draft must include at least one defenseman because "you can't have too many defensemen" since so many of them go bust. A few years ago, we thought we were beautifully set with Del Zotto, Sanguinetti, Tim Erixon, Sauer, Gilroy, Corey Potter, Valentenko, Kundratek, Heineken, Pashnin, Parlett, Niemi, Nigel Williams, Maggio, Klassen and Baldwin. How did these 16 work out for us? Only McDonagh worked out well for us from that generation (maybe Del Zotto since we got Klein for him). We always need to keep adding defensemen.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
A couple of thoughts:

- To begin with, I don't understand why you've separated top 6 wings and bottom 6 wings, but have not tiered centers or defensemen. (Goalies make sense.) :)

- I would give more credence to Hayes at center. The organization has done nothing but indicate that they want to develop him as a center and now, after one reported conversation, all of a sudden he's a wing. My guess is that if he makes the big club, he may well be moved to wing for expediency (and to have extra C-capable guys in the lineup with Stepan out), but if he goes down to the AHL, they'll likely want him to keep developing at the pivot.

- I wouldn't give up on Fast as a top 6 guy juuuuust yet. I've said for a long time that he reminds me of Nyquist and that he may follow a similar development curve. Jesper's 2 years behind Gustav who only really established himself last year after two years of solid scoring at the A, but zeroes when called up to the NHL. (That said, I was very disturbed to see MSG show his weight as 165 on the graphic when they highlighted him on Monday night - hockeydb has it at 185, which I hope is correct.) He may yet top out as RH Hagelin, which is no shabby thing, but let's give him a little more time.

- So many of our defensemen are so young/new to the org that it's a bit hard to peg them as to upside. In particular, I'm thinking of Zamorsky - how do you already have him pigeonholed as a #5-6 guy? Doesn't make sense to me.

- I'd make a similar comment about guys like Nezejcheleb and Iverson, but given where they were drafted, the style that Iverson plays and Nezejcheleb being an overager... well, I'm inclined to agree with you.

All of that being said. I agree with 95% of your assessment, including what I'd like to see added to the organization - with one caveat. I'd like to see the org take more swings at guys like Nieves and Tambellini and Iverson (and, looking backwards, Yogan) as opposed to guys who fit St. Croix's profile. I much prefer taking chances on guys who've fallen due to down draft years, injuries, off ice rumors (sketchy, nebulous, maturity related issues - no felons please), the "Russian factor" etc. as opposed to guys who scouts simply don't think have the physical tools to cut it in the NHL.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Duclair's contract status has been clarified a couple times.

No, it will not "slide," but neither will it count against the 50 contract limit if Duclair plays 9 games or less in the NHL this season.

So, if Duclair is returned to his junior team, a year of his ELC will be burned anyway, but won't count against the contract limit.

The only situation that could get hairy is if the Rangers decide to keep him on the team this season for more than 9 games. Then, they would have to make a move to shed a contract. That's not going to happen, IMO. Even if he does very well, he gets 9 games max and is sent back to the QMJHL. He still has parts of his game to work on, and even if he could technically make the team this season, his long-term development is more important to the organization.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
Duclair's contract status has been clarified a couple times.

No, it will not "slide," but neither will it count against the 50 contract limit if Duclair plays 9 games or less in the NHL this season.

So, if Duclair is returned to his junior team, a year of his ELC will be burned anyway, but won't count against the contract limit.

The only situation that could get hairy is if the Rangers decide to keep him on the team this season for more than 9 games. Then, they would have to make a move to shed a contract. That's not going to happen, IMO. Even if he does very well, he gets 9 games max and is sent back to the QMJHL. He still has parts of his game to work on, and even if he could technically make the team this season, his long-term development is more important to the organization.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was throughly confused.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Thanks for clearing that up. I was throughly confused.

No prob. Sometimes you have to really dig for that kind of info, or just be lucky enough to be reading the board when it comes up. You should follow @capgeek for contractual info. Whoever runs their twitter account is really cool about answering fan contract questions. I think that's how I saw the info about Duclair's contract. Someone asked, and capgeek retweeted their response.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
"... "you can't have too many defensemen" since so many of them go bust. A few years ago, we thought we were beautifully set with Del Zotto, Sanguinetti, Tim Erixon, Sauer, Gilroy, Corey Potter, Valentenko, Kundratek, Heineken, Pashnin, Parlett, Niemi, Nigel Williams, Maggio, Klassen and Baldwin...

speaking of Pashnin, because NYR don't list him as "In The System" any more, i was surprised to see him listed in my just-received 'NHL Guide' for '14-15 as NYR prospect. That book, published by NHL, is usually very accurate regarding team affiliations.
Not that I am expecting him to show up next fall, just mentioning.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is Duclair drawing salary from the Rangers ?

No. My understanding is that players under an NHL contract only get paid during the season, while on the roster of an NHL, AHL or ECHL team. Players loaned to other leagues do not get paid under their NHL contract. I think that players with a 2-way NHL contract get paid their AHL salary in the ECHL. Players on 1 way contracts aren't eligible for the ECHL.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
No. My understanding is that players under an NHL contract only get paid during the season, while on the roster of an NHL, AHL or ECHL team. Players loaned to other leagues do not get paid under their NHL contract. I think that players with a 2-way NHL contract get paid their AHL salary in the ECHL. Players on 1 way contracts aren't eligible for the ECHL.

I thought they got a small signing bonus (I mean small relative to what the contract is worth lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille