Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part I* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 10/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Never been more excited for Ranger prospects than now. This is probably the most skilled and talented bunch in history. Which means they haven't done anything yet because they are prospects but the cupboard is deep and apparently with two high end toys leading the pack.

In history is going a bit overboard. The Ranger farm system once produced Richter, Leetch, Amonte, Weight, Zubov, and Kovalev basically in succession. It wasn't too long ago that Stepan, McDonagh, Kreider, and Hagelin were all prospects at the same time. None of our young defensmen are of McDonagh's caliber, and I'm a huge Brady Skjei fan. I'll be shocked if any of our young centers are anywhere close to Stepan's level. Maybe Buchnevich or Duclair will be as good or better than Kreider, but we're a long, long way from knowing. I like our system a lot and think it gets a bum rap from the national writers, but let's be realistic.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
In history is going a bit overboard. The Ranger farm system once produced Richter, Leetch, Amonte, Weight, Zubov, and Kovalev basically in succession. It wasn't too long ago that Stepan, McDonagh, Kreider, and Hagelin were all prospects at the same time. None of our young defensmen are of McDonagh's caliber, and I'm a huge Brady Skjei fan. I'll be shocked if any of our young centers are anywhere close to Stepan's level. Maybe Buchnevich or Duclair will be as good or better than Kreider, but we're a long, long way from knowing. I like our system a lot and think it gets a bum rap from the national writers, but let's be realistic.

This is the right approach. Our prospect pool ratings were downgraded because we were graduating players quickly which is sort of a back handed compliment and a "who cares". That being said, I like what I see, a lot of good players will be sent down to Hartford during camp.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Kreider is a physical beast right now. I expect him to be even beastier in the future. I also expect the rest of his game to get better. To me he has legit NHL 1st line power forward skills. Neither Buchnevich or Duclair come with all the physical gifts that Kreider has. I see them becoming (if all works out to plan) different kinds of players. They are both great skaters though with great hands and excellent finishing skills. Buchnevich potentially could become a power forward himself. About 6-1/6-2. It depends on how he fills out and how willing he is to use his size.

Kreider may be our best offensive player without the puck by the way. His speed with or without the puck keeps opponents always on their heels. Like Hagelin he's a constant threat for the long bomb. He also is really good in the slot screening goalies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Alex Nunn ‏@aj_ranger 2m
Belated update because I'm awful: Calle Andersson scored his first goal of the season in EV Zug's 4-3 loss to Genève last night. #NYR

I honestly forgot Andersson exists.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Bottom line is that given where the Rangers have been picking (even when they keep a 1st) and how they acquire players and prospects, you can't help but be impressed with scouts and how the cup board looks right now.

I've been saying we could use a few higher end, 1st round type prospects, but in all honesty these younger guys have been very impressive.

We get something from a Fast, Haggerty or Hayes and I sure hope some of those scouts are getting a bonus.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Kreider may be our best offensive player without the puck by the way.

I would agree. If you are playing against the Rangers and you have a gorilla coming at you at the speed of a cheetah, it can't be a pleasant feeling. Hags causes a lot of pressure with his speed, but he lacks the 6-4 240 pound frame to intimidate the puck mover.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hayes
Haggerty
Hrivik
McCarthy
Kantor

Allen
Bodi
Zamorsky
Hughes

That's 9 prospects we signed as UDFAs who have a decent or better shot at making the NHL. There are also guys like Missiaen and Nicholls, but I doubt they ever put on a Rangers jersey. We also signed Talbot as a UDFA and he just graduated.

Honestly, if you look strictly at our UDFAs, that already is a decent prospect list even if we had nobody else. Not a good one, but not the worst in the league. About 5 UDFAs (not counting Talbot) should make the NHL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would agree. If you are playing against the Rangers and you have a gorilla coming at you at the speed of a cheetah, it can't be a pleasant feeling. Hags causes a lot of pressure with his speed, but he lacks the 6-4 240 pound frame to intimidate the puck mover.

Kreider in front of the net screening the goalie does not have the puck but he's a huge problem. Very hard to move out of the way and he's got good enough hands for tipping in shots or finishing off rebounds. Likewise Kreider's speed down the wings crashing towards the net looking for a pass on a timing play on goal is a huge problem for opponents as well. He's a big threat when he's carrying the puck--because he can carry it at speed and make plays but he's a even scarier threat when he doesn't have the puck because of his size and speed. One might call him an existential threat because however much you believe in the new hockey analytics I think he is the one player we have that puck possession numbers really won't provide an accurate picture of what he can do best.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hayes
Haggerty
Hrivik
McCarthy
Kantor

Allen
Bodi
Zamorsky
Hughes

That's 9 prospects we signed as UDFAs who have a decent or better shot at making the NHL. There are also guys like Missiaen and Nicholls, but I doubt they ever put on a Rangers jersey. We also signed Talbot as a UDFA and he just graduated.

Honestly, if you look strictly at our UDFAs, that already is a decent prospect list even if we had nobody else. Not a good one, but not the worst in the league. About 5 UDFAs (not counting Talbot) should make the NHL.

Hayes was drafted.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

i swear to god i cracked up uncontrollably reading that sentence...the mental imagery there is effing hilarious roflmao

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Kreider is a physical beast right now. I expect him to be even beastier in the future. I also expect the rest of his game to get better. To me he has legit NHL 1st line power forward skills. Neither Buchnevich or Duclair come with all the physical gifts that Kreider has. I see them becoming (if all works out to plan) different kinds of players. They are both great skaters though with great hands and excellent finishing skills. Buchnevich potentially could become a power forward himself. About 6-1/6-2. It depends on how he fills out and how willing he is to use his size.

Kreider may be our best offensive player without the puck by the way. His speed with or without the puck keeps opponents always on their heels. Like Hagelin he's a constant threat for the long bomb. He also is really good in the slot screening goalies.

I agree with all this. I just think there's a possibility that Buchnevich especially has a small, outside shot to be better than Kreider just because of how many different ways he can create a threat in the offensive zone.

One might call him an existential threat because however much you believe in the new hockey analytics I think he is the one player we have that puck possession numbers really won't provide an accurate picture of what he can do best.

Possession numbers like Kreider a great deal. I think you're misunderstanding how they work. Strong play away from the puck which helps your team maintain or reestablish possession shows up in the form of increased corsi. The stats aren't tracking how much you personally have the puck on your stick. They're tracking how much your team has it when you're out there.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So was Nicholls and Missiean. This board often uses UDFA for any amateur available to be signed

That's how I used it. I mean a prospect we signed. Honestly, from the Rangers point of view, what's the difference between Hayes and Haggerty or Talbot and Missiean. All were prospects who cost nothing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's how I used it. I mean a prospect we signed. Honestly, from the Rangers point of view, what's the difference between Hayes and Haggerty or Talbot and Missiean. All were prospects who cost nothing.

Well UDFAs are true diamonds in the rough, so to speak. Hayes was a known commodity who leveraged the rules into becoming a free agent. While you're correct that there's no difference between a Haggerty and a Hayes in terms of cost to acquire, their situations were very different and shouldn't be lumped together.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Well UDFAs are true diamonds in the rough, so to speak. Hayes was a known commodity who leveraged the rules into becoming a free agent. While you're correct that there's no difference between a Haggerty and a Hayes in terms of cost to acquire, their situations were very different and shouldn't be lumped together.

There's also the fact that the "UD" in UDFA stands for undrafted... :)

On a more serious note, you hit on it exactly - the profiles of Girardi and Hayes are very different and the skills necessary to acquire them are very different, as is the credit that should be awarded.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I've been here long enough that I assume people know that I am aware of the difference and how we acquired a prospect. I actually thought of this as I typed the message, but figured "undrafted by us" will do. I just meant that these are prospects we acquired without drafting them.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've been here long enough that I assume people know that I am aware of the difference and how we acquired a prospect. I actually thought of this as I typed the message, but figured "undrafted by us" will do. I just meant that these are prospects we acquired without drafting them.

I think we all know you know the difference. Still, even incredibly knowledgeable posters make mistakes.

We have been doing a good job of bringing in talent through UDFA and unsigned draftees. Your point is definitely valid.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
At this rate, I'm almost expecting a highlight reel goal or assist from Buch every game. He's starting to spoil us :sarcasm:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Who is Pavel compared to? This kid came out of no where... And I ****ing love every bit of it. Kid is tearing up the K so far.

There have been a lot of different names thrown around. Alex Semin, Nik Zherdev, the late Alexei Cherepanov. He's very skilled, doesn't shy away from contact, moves exceptionally well and is oozing confidence with the puck right now. The real question with him is how he can handle adversity. If he goes cold, can he still be a factor when he's not on the scoresheet every night? Can he keep himself from taking penalties out of frustration? Etc, etc.

All things considered, it's tough to draw player comparisons because he's still just a kid. This is a huge developmental year with him and it's difficult to give an accurate trajectory with him putting up over a point per game and making the highlight reel every night. I'd expect him to slow down a bit, but if he winds up in that 40+ point range over a full season, that puts him amongst some very exciting company and right into "blue chipper" territory. The KHL is a tough league for teenagers, and those kind of numbers compare favorably to guys like Kuznetsov and Tarasenko.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Haven't been this excited about a Rangers prospect in a LONG time. Butch is really playing some fantastic hockey early on in the KHL so far, if somehow he can keep up a point a game ratio throughout the season, he should quietly sneak into one of the top 10-20 prospects in the league.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Haven't been this excited about a Rangers prospect in a LONG time. Butch is really playing some fantastic hockey early on in the KHL so far, if somehow he can keep up a point a game ratio throughout the season, he should quietly sneak into one of the top 10-20 prospects in the league.

Him not being a 1st round pick and lacking the pedigree most of the top prospects have, I don't think we'd ever see him there barring something ridiculous like 60 points in 40 games.

Not that I care though. We know if we have a good one no matter how they are ranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad