2014-2015 Norfolk AHL Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
Admirals are flatline...Close it!!!

To the mods thank you for opening a Norfolk thread for the ADS fans.

But, the Norfolk AHL Admirals are no more and no point in letting it linger. Request that this thread be closed and preferably deleted.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Any word on a big group of call ups now that Norfolk's season is done?

Black Aces/Practice Squad:

Manson
Theodore
Fistric
Kerdeles
Noesen

And a few more.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Any word on a big group of call ups now that Norfolk's season is done?

Black Aces/Practice Squad:

Manson
Theodore
Fistric
Kerdeles
Noesen

And a few more.

Robak's certainly a possibility there, Friberg's a lock, Leblanc and/or Sgarbossa because the lack of center depth, maybe Montour for the experience. I think Manson and Noesen have already been called up, find out the rest in the coming days.

randyc

Apr 2, 2007
Suffolk, Virginia
Mutually Agreeable?

I know they way the Ducks negotiate so I don't buy the mutuality angle much. But I am sure after the train wreck Anaheim put together in Norfolk, there would be some changes. And there will be some players affected as well.

Skalde was the unlucky receipient of what the Ducks saddled him with. I doubt any other coach could have done much better. He tried to keep things positive during the season. I wish him well in the future and hope he gets a better chance in another organization.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I know they way the Ducks negotiate so I don't buy the mutuality angle much. But I am sure after the train wreck Anaheim put together in Norfolk, there would be some changes. And there will be some players affected as well.

Skalde was the unlucky receipient of what the Ducks saddled him with. I doubt any other coach could have done much better. He tried to keep things positive during the season. I wish him well in the future and hope he gets a better chance in another organization.

I thought you said you would take your Ducks bashing out of here when the season ended. Apparently not. :shakehead

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Well the Ducks do own the Admirals, soon to be Gulls now. They can do what they want. With all the younger guys coming up to the AHL next year, I certainly see the logic in wanting a clean slate in San Diego.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA

They could've just said they fired him if they wanted to.

randyc

Apr 2, 2007
Suffolk, Virginia
It's Factual

Eddie Shack I am being factual. On the Ducks negotiating style one only has to look at the tactics employed to force Ken Young to sell them his franchise after he told them he didn't want to sell. It would have done Tony Soprano proud.

Are you telling me the team the Ducks had in Norfolk which had the worst finish in Admirals AHL history and was the 3rd worst in the AHL this year was a competitive team? For a system supposedly predicated on depth, there wasnt' much to weather the injury bug.

You may not like what i am saying here and refer to it as bashing. But what I've written here is based in fact. Now if your view is that any Nofolk fan should be prohibited from saying anything negative about the Ducks that is fact based just let us know. If we are here just to throw garlands and accolades to the Ducks management, again just let us know.

randyc

Apr 2, 2007
Suffolk, Virginia
From the Horse's Mouth

Willie, no theory, just fact. The Admirals owner was quoted in the paper as to the method employed by the Ducks. And no one from the Ducks has denied or contradicted his version of the negotiations.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Willie, no theory, just fact. The Admirals owner was quoted in the paper as to the method employed by the Ducks. And no one from the Ducks has denied or contradicted his version of the negotiations.

Business is business and leverage is a tool in business.

I feel bad for you guys losing your team because this isn't like most businesses but when it comes down to it, it is what it is. Here's hoping you guys get another AHL team sooner rather than later.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA

And how does that have anything to do with Skalde and the Ads mutually agreeing to part ways? I hate to break it to you but hockey is a business. Henry Samueli has wanted an affiliate in San Diego ever since he bought the Ducks. He saw his opportunity and he took it.

randyc

Apr 2, 2007
Suffolk, Virginia
Everything

Willie, the original article talked of a mutually negotiatied departure and I commented on whether it was mutual based on the Ducks prior negotiating tactics, So that is germane. The balance of the comment referred to what type of team Skalde was given to lead and how poor it was as reflected by its finish. Skalde should not be made the scapegoat for the Ducks assembling a poor team in Norfolk. So germane again to the topic.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

And the NHL. And the AHL. The Ducks don't have anywhere near the clout to pull this off unless every other interested party was also behind it. As far as the Ducks denying it, why bother? It sounds ruder than its meant to be, but pretty much nobody outside of the Norfolk area cares. There's really zero profit for them giving the story any legs at all.

It sucks you lost your team. Everyone agrees with you. But you're not quoting facts, because in any dispute there's always your story, my story, and the truth. You're quoting one story. You're also finding every opportunity to paint the Ducks organization as nefarious. The Ducks prospects all did well when called up - much better than they performed at the AHL level. That absolutely calls their coaching at that level into question.

Last edited:

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
And what incentive do the Ducks have to retain Skalde with the season the Ads had (I realize he's not solely responsible for this). The Gulls will look a lot different than this year's Admirals. Like I said earlier, maybe to clean house is a good option. I'm sure Skalde will land on his feet.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I still don't get this Ducks forcing Young narrative. You're just looking for a bad guy.

The Ducks don't want to stay. So they leave, which they can do. They also make an offer for the team/affiliation. He doesn't have to accept it.

So he can't find a replacement parent company and decides to sell rather than go dark for a year. I mean yes he didn't want to sell and ended up having to do what he didn't want to do. But there were alternatives, and the Ducks didn't really do anything out of the ordinary.

And if you think about it, that's the kind of risk you take in being an AHL without an owning NHL team. And also the risk of choosing an affiliation with a West Coast team, when there were rumors of wanting to move for years. The owner is not blameless.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Teams fire their coach on a regular basis in any sport. But hey, at least you got your petty potshot in.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Murray built a terrible AHL team for the 3rd straight year, and Skalde is probably not a great coach. Nothing to see here, bring in someone new and go get a couple decent veteran scorers for San Diego!

Yip and Winchester certainly weren't the answer

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Eddie Shack I am being factual. On the Ducks negotiating style one only has to look at the tactics employed to force Ken Young to sell them his franchise after he told them he didn't want to sell. It would have done Tony Soprano proud.

Are you telling me the team the Ducks had in Norfolk which had the worst finish in Admirals AHL history and was the 3rd worst in the AHL this year was a competitive team? For a system supposedly predicated on depth, there wasnt' much to weather the injury bug.

You may not like what i am saying here and refer to it as bashing. But what I've written here is based in fact. Now if your view is that any Nofolk fan should be prohibited from saying anything negative about the Ducks that is fact based just let us know. If we are here just to throw garlands and accolades to the Ducks management, again just let us know.

No, you're bitter about losing the team and hate the Ducks for it. You've made that clear numerous times. Your the one who keeps turning every hockey discussion into a shot against the Ducks. After continually telling us you will stick to hockey only discussions.

I lost any sympathy I ever had for you with your constant bashing and whining. Nobody knows how the deal went down, but your hero sure isn't going to admit to your fans if he was happy to sell the team. And the fact of the matter is it wasn't a rogue move by a greedy Ducks owner who decided to single handedly screw you. It was the evolution of the NHL no longer being 6 teams in the northeast. With teams on both coasts it was inevitable that the minor league geography would eventually follow to some degree. When the time came, the cards fell like they did because that's how life works. So if you don't like it take it up with Gary Bettman and become a member of the O6 whiners club. Because that's where your argument belongs. Stop making it sound like Henry Samuelli just decided to come steal your lunch money because he's a bully.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=99540179&postcount=721

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad