Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I am assuming those guys will not be waived, mostly because they just signed them and I'm not thinking they did that just to waive them as it would look kind of silly in retrospect.(not that it won't come to that, just initially on opening night)

I think you seem to be under the impression that AV and co are going to make decisions that aren't good for the team based on a signature on a piece of paper. If we were talking about a guy making what Dan Boyle is making, I'd probably agree with you. We aren't. If any of these guys are outplayed in camp by a youngster, they're going to be sent to Hartford. Particularly Ryan Malone, since he's on a two-way contract. Even Glass is vulnerable to this with his "whopping" $1.45m.

I understand the worry, I just don't think you need to be concerned.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Glass?

What I am trying to say, poorly I guess, if they do not waive any of Glass, Lombardi, Malone, and they keep Kostka as a 7th, they do not have room for two prospects who make over ~1.7M combined, probably less than that because they'll likely keep a little wiggle room in the couple hundred K area so they can build up cap space daily.

I am assuming those guys will not be waived, mostly because they just signed them and I'm not thinking they did that just to waive them as it would look kind of silly in retrospect.(not that it won't come to that, just initially on opening night)

So I think there is room for one prospect to make the team out of camp when I combine who would have to go through waivers and what the cap space is.

So I'm thinking not only would a 2nd prospect have to beat out one of those players for opening night, they'd have to beat them out to the point the Rangers would be willing to waive someone they just signed.

Does not mean they won't waive someone I'm just thinking it will be interesting to see, like if two prospects look to be better than who they'd have to waive, will they bite the bullet so to speak or will they just go with whom they'd have to waive otherwise.

Like will they think, no one is plucking Glass/Lombardi/Malone, so it's safe to waive him so we can fit two of Miller/Hayes/Fast/Lindberg/etc on the opening night roster since they outplayed him.

In the first scenario glass was waived.

In the Hayes to the minors scenario glass is one of the two extra forwards.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Malone - Malone - Malone
Malone - Malone - Malone
Malone - Malone - Malone
Glass - Malone - Malone

Malone - Malone
Malone - Malone
Malone - Allen/McIlrath

Malone
Malone

:yo:

But actually, his signing is low-risk and team friendly, and if he can utilize his size in the proper role there's no real downside to the contract.

Doesn't hit cap minimum. Throw in Nash and we're close.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Gonna be some battles

Kreider, Stepan, MSL
Nash, Brassard, Zuc
Hagelin , Miller or Lindberg, Malone, Fast or Hayes
Glass, Moore , Stempniak
Lombardi

I think Miller beats Lindberg for that 3rd line C spot

If Stempniak is 3rd line RW well I would start Hayes and Fast in the minors and use Malone in that spot

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Gonna be some battles

Kreider, Stepan, MSL
Nash, Brassard, Zuc
Hagelin , Miller/Lindberg/Lombardi, Fast or Hayes
Glass, Moore, Stempniak
Malone

Been right about basically every move since July
Maybe Hunwick over Kostka for 7th D
Dare you to say I am wrong here
:)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Gonna be some battles

But what are the actual battles? Think I've posted this before, but we've got some more, now....

3C - Miller, Lindberg, Hayes. HM: Dom Moore
Brassard/Zuke Winger - Nash, Miller, Hayes, Malone, Stempniak, Fast
4th Wingers - Glass, Malone, Stempniak, Lombardi, Fast, Bourque
7D - Kostka, Hunwick

Bolded who I think will win the jobs...

So...

Kreider - Stepan - MSL (A)
Nash - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller - Stempniak
Malone - Moore - Lombardi
Glass

McDonagh (C) - Girardi (A)
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
Kostka

Lundqvist
Talbot

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
But what are the actual battles? Think I've posted this before, but we've got some more, now....

7D - Kostka, Hunwick

So...

Glass

Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
Kostka

Lundqvist
Talbot

I dont think Staal loses his A.

C- McD
A- Staal
A- Girardi

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

7D - Kostka, Hunwick

So...

Glass

Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
Kostka

Lundqvist
Talbot

Yep there my thought . Glass in for Lombardi most nights though

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Out
Dan Carcillo - 5' 11", 203 lbs
Derek Dorsett - 6' 0", 192 lbs
Brad Richards - 6' 0", 198 lbs
Anton Stralman 6' 1", 180 lbs
Benoit Pouliot - 6' 3", 197 lbs
Byron Boyle - 6' 7", 244 lbs

In
Lee Stempniak - 5" 11, 196 lbs
Dan Boyle - 5' 11", 200 lbs
JT Miller - 6' 1", 200 lbs
Tanner Glass - 6' 1", 210 lbs
Kevin Hayes - 6' 3", 205 lbs
Ryan Malone - 6' 4", 219 lbs

For arguments sake I used Hayes as a newcomer but it is certainly not a sure thing that he makes the opening night roster instead of smaller guys like Fast, Lombardi, Lindberg or even Kristo...
Give up 3 inches in length
But gain 16 pounds
But then again - Byron Boy was a soft cream puff giant despite his behemothic size

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think you seem to be under the impression that AV and co are going to make decisions that aren't good for the team based on a signature on a piece of paper. If we were talking about a guy making what Dan Boyle is making, I'd probably agree with you. We aren't. If any of these guys are outplayed in camp by a youngster, they're going to be sent to Hartford. Particularly Ryan Malone, since he's on a two-way contract. Even Glass is vulnerable to this with his "whopping" $1.45m.

I understand the worry, I just don't think you need to be concerned.

Kind of the opposite, I think AV and company, well mostly Sather thinks this is the best way to form a team. Not even saying I disagree.

I do think, short of a miraculous camp from two F prospects, there will only be one who makes the team.

For a 2nd prospect to make it, he'd have to not just beat out another player by some sort of slim margin, it would take him beating out another player to the point it assuages all fears of the Rangers possibly losing a player to waivers.

Not that it's the biggest deal or anything, they will make in-season roster adjustments, but the idea that camp/preseason is some sort of fair testing grounds that ultimately sets the opening night roster is a little off in my opinion.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I've always felt that the more depth you have the better whether they are prospects or veterans coming in to camp.

But I think the overall outlier in this is if the prospects were that good and then they wouldn't be "prevented" from playing in the NHL because of a vet signing. This whole idea of when you sign a vet you're essentially pushing out the youngsters is crap because if the kids were the real deal they wouldnt get beat out by incoming vets like Malone.

Its always nice to have young legs on the squad but they need to be good enough to play at the NHL level. You can't go into the season thinking "ok we absolutely have to have X amount of rookies in the lineup because we need to continue developing our prospects". It doesnt work that way. The best players play, no matter what age they are. Experience however, does count for something. But again, if the kids good enough he plays. Especially these days when trying to stay under the cap.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Competition is good.. if malone signed it only means hes showed he can still play.. NOT the same role but a role within bottom 6.. I believe the lindbergs, fast, kristos allens McIrath of the world will be first call ups, and get another year of seasoning in AHL..

Hayes spot to win over Malone but he has to prove himself.. I believe Malone is an insurance policy if Hayes cant win the job.. It should be an awesome camp for jobs

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.475m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Ryan Malone ($0.700m) / Derick Brassard ($5.000m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.500m)
Tanner Glass ($1.450m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($0.900m)
Matthew Lombardi ($0.800m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
John Moore ($0.851m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Mike Kostka ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,107,167; BONUSES: $350,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $892,833

Unless Hayes happens to prove he can cut it as a C...

We need big Cs.

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
I would love to see

Chris Kreider-Derek Stepan-Rick Nash
Carl Hagelin-JT Miller-Martin St. Louis
Kevin Hayes-Derick Brassard-Mats Zuccarello
Ryan Malone-Dominic Moore-Lee Stempniak

I don't think we are going to see that though.

AHB*

Definitely extreme, but I don't feel as though he made the most of the size he possesses.

He wasn't a bruiser but to call him a cream puff is insulting. He certainly threw his body around. Just because he wasn't decking people left and right, his body checks were hard and strong along the boards.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He wasn't a bruiser but to call him a cream puff is insulting. He certainly threw his body around. Just because he wasn't decking people left and right, his body checks were hard and strong along the boards.

there are different kinds of tough. the ability to take a hit, or a beating on the boards, to keep a play alive, is very tough.

Other than Brad Richards who seemed to shy away from contact, and sometimes Rick Nash earlier in the season, i feel like our team is very tough.

being tough isnt always about killing ppl, im right there with ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad