Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Drouin hasn't cracked Tampa's lineup yet.

He was drafted a year ago. There are about 200 prospects every year that don't make the NHL right after being drafted.

If you want to make this argument, and talk about a player that might actually be available, it would be Connolly. He's 22, just signed a 1 year, 2-way contract, and has yet to earn a regular spot in the NHL.

Like I said, the clock is ticking for Yzerman: if Tampa doesn't make some serious strides towards becoming a contender soon, Stamkos is much more likely to leave for nothing in less than two years from today. That's why Tampa went out and made some noise on July 1st. Their window is from now until two seasons from now: not necessarily to win a Cup, but to make Stamkos feel like they're close enough that he'll want to re-sign there.

Complete speculation not in any way based in fact. Tampa exceeded expectations last year and would have done better in the playoffs if their #1 RW didn't demand a trade and their #1 goalie didn't get hurt. The reason they got Drouin in the first place is because they picked 3rd overall the year before. Now suddenly 1 year back in the playoffs and they are in win now mode and are going to mortgage their future in an attempt to win?

Tampa made some noise this summer because they were trying to improve their team, just like every other team in the league, and they had the cap space to spend.

A Drouin for Staal deal signals, "we're all-in" and going for it right now. Perhaps something is added to Staal. Whatever the specifics, it's the KIND of future for RIGHT NOW move that Tampa is now in the mode to make.

NO, a Drouin for Staal deal signals that Yzerman doesn't know what the hell he's doing. You say they are worried about Stamkos walking in 2 years. What's to stop Staal from walking a year from now?

Look at their roster. Stamkos, Killorn, Johnson, Palat, Drouin, Connolly, Panik, Kucherov, Hedman. They are all 24 or younger.

The only players 30 or older are Morrow, Filppula, Brewer and Ohlund.

How is this a team that is in win-now mode?

As flashy as he is, it may be 2-3 years until Drouin finds his NHL groove. That's too late for Tampa Bay. If they don't make some noise this year or next, Stamkos will be gone. You can take that to the bank.

Or he may be ready this year. You really don't know. Either way, tampa isn't in win-now mode and they aren't going to make a stupid Drouin for Staal deal to try to go for it this year.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Sharks wouldn't trade Wingels.

Sign Booth on the cheap and I will be happy with this offseason.

As I am effectively being schooled on in the trade section. No harm though, just needed to confirm.

I think that out of Booth, Penner and Winnik, I'd lean towards Winnik

All three are lefties :( We seriously need some right-handed help on this squad. I know I'm a broken record, but it's true. Stepan and possibly Fast cannot be our only right-handed shots up front.

You want real fantasy land proposals?

Would Minnesota, a team who is basically win-now mode, do a deal along the lines of:

Hagelin
J. Moore

for

Charlie Coyle
Jason Zucker

Would we even do that deal?

Don't blame me, blame my industry for being DEAD on Fridays. I have a lot of free time at work today :(

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
As I am effectively being schooled on in the trade section. No harm though, just needed to confirm.

All three are lefties :( We seriously need some right-handed help on this squad. I know I'm a broken record, but it's true. Stepan and possibly Fast cannot be our only right-handed shots up front.

You want real fantasy land proposals?

Would Minnesota, a team who is basically win-now mode, do a deal along the lines of:

Hagelin
J. Moore

for

Charlie Coyle
Jason Zucker

Would we even do that deal?

Don't blame me, blame my industry for being DEAD on Fridays. I have a lot of free time at work today :(

I don't think Minnesota is moving Coyle.

I still like the idea of Morin or Connolly as buy-low projects

Zuccarello Awesome*

He was drafted a year ago. There are about 200 prospects every year that don't make the NHL right after being drafted.

If you want to make this argument, and talk about a player that might actually be available, it would be Connolly. He's 22, just signed a 1 year, 2-way contract, and has yet to earn a regular spot in the NHL.

Complete speculation not in any way based in fact. Tampa exceeded expectations last year and would have done better in the playoffs if their #1 RW didn't demand a trade and their #1 goalie didn't get hurt. The reason they got Drouin in the first place is because they picked 3rd overall the year before. Now suddenly 1 year back in the playoffs and they are in win now mode and are going to mortgage their future in an attempt to win?

Tampa made some noise this summer because they were trying to improve their team, just like every other team in the league, and they had the cap space to spend.

NO, a Drouin for Staal deal signals that Yzerman doesn't know what the hell he's doing. You say they are worried about Stamkos walking in 2 years. What's to stop Staal from walking a year from now?

Look at their roster. Stamkos, Killorn, Johnson, Palat, Drouin, Connolly, Panik, Kucherov, Hedman. They are all 24 or younger.

The only players 30 or older are Morrow, Filppula, Brewer and Ohlund.

How is this a team that is in win-now mode?

Or he may be ready this year. You really don't know. Either way, tampa isn't in win-now mode and they aren't going to make a stupid Drouin for Staal deal to try to go for it this year.

It is based in fact.

Fact: Stamkos can walk away from TBL in less than two calendar years.

And if they continue to be a borderline playoff team, why would Stamkos re-sign there, when he could basically choose any team in the league?

And no, their current roster doesn't scream, "win now" which is exactly why a deal based around Staal for Drouin pushes in that direction, and could be the kind of move Yzerman feels compelled to consider.

Staal walking in a year? How's that at all comparable to their franchise player walking? If they acquire Staal, even if he bolts after this season, it's a move that attempts to compete with the top teams in the East, and maybe they end up in the ECF or the SCF somehow. At that point, even if Staal leaves after the season, it still went a long way towards convincing Stamkos to stay if he sees how management is willing to go for it and try to contend now. Stamkos leaving would be the worst thing to ever happen to the team.

Even if it's Staal and Stepan for Drouin and Filppula, or even if it's Staal and Hagelin for Drouin and some middling prospect, it's a win-now move for TBL, which based on the facts, one can infer that Yzerman isn't going to sit back and slowly continue to rebuild this team over the next two seasons so that Stamkos says "I didn't sign up to be on the Florida Islanders" and bounces the **** out of dodge.

You don't have to like the proposal.

You don't have to agree with anything I say.

But I must assume you comprehend the reasoning behind it..unless Yzerman plans to let Stamkos walk to gain cap-space to sign Tomas Vanek in a few years!

Zuccarello Awesome*

I don't think Minnesota is moving Coyle.

I still like the idea of Morin or Connolly as buy-low projects

I'm fine with that, but Morin isn't really buy-low, is he?

He's dominated the AHL. There's just no spot for him on Chicago without trading someone to open a spot for him.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Stamkos scores 100+ goals over the next two seasons and hits Free Agency at 26, I can't even begin to imagine what sort of unholy deal he'd land.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
If Stamjos scored 100+ goals over the next two seasons and hits Free Agency at 26, I can't even begin to imagine what sort of unholy deal he'd land.

He could conceivably garner max salary. He would probably be the best UFA in the history of the sport.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
He could conceivably garner max salary. He would probably be the best UFA in the history of the sport.

based on revenue increases and cap increases, in two years the salary cap could be 75 million.

you know the NHLPA will not go 2 years in a row without pushing for the 5% kicker.

assume for a 2nd revenues tick up slightly to make the cap 71per team in 2015

NHLPA pushes the 5% kicker, 74.55

20% of that? 14.91 per.

In 2016 if Revenues increase still? Stamkos COULD be the leagues first 16 million dollar man.

WUUUT

:shakehead

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
It is based in fact.

Fact: Stamkos can walk away from TBL in less than two calendar years.

And if they continue to be a borderline playoff team, why would Stamkos re-sign there, when he could basically choose any team in the league?

And no, their current roster doesn't scream, "win now" which is exactly why a deal based around Staal for Drouin pushes in that direction, and could be the kind of move Yzerman feels compelled to consider.

Staal walking in a year? How's that at all comparable to their franchise player walking? If they acquire Staal, even if he bolts after this season, it's a move that attempts to compete with the top teams in the East, and maybe they end up in the ECF or the SCF somehow. At that point, even if Staal leaves after the season, it still went a long way towards convincing Stamkos to stay if he sees how management is willing to go for it and try to contend now. Stamkos leaving would be the worst thing to ever happen to the team.

Even if it's Staal and Stepan for Drouin and Filppula, or even if it's Staal and Hagelin for Drouin and some middling prospect, it's a win-now move for TBL, which based on the facts, one can infer that Yzerman isn't going to sit back and slowly continue to rebuild this team over the next two seasons so that Stamkos says "I didn't sign up to be on the Florida Islanders" and bounces the **** out of dodge.

You don't have to like the proposal.

You don't have to agree with anything I say.

But I must assume you comprehend the reasoning behind it..unless Yzerman plans to let Stamkos walk to gain cap-space to sign Tomas Vanek in a few years!

I appreciate your imaginative proposals. I see your logic, however, there is just no way Tampa trades Drouin, especially for Staal. I think it would be amazing to trade Staal for a top 3 pick in 2015 draft, but that won't happen either.

In my imaginative world, Stammer goes to free agency and signs here. I think that's more likely than us trading for a guy like Jonathan Drouin.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I appreciate your imaginative proposals. I see your logic, however, there is just no way Tampa trades Drouin, especially for Staal. I think it would be amazing to trade Staal for a top 3 pick in 2015 draft, but that won't happen either.

In my imaginative world, Stammer goes to free agency and signs here. I think that's more likely than us trading for a guy like Jonathan Drouin.

Might be worth it to keep re-signing MSL just for the hopes that Stamkos hits the UFA market :naughty:

Zuccarello Awesome*

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

I think we'd all be happy with your imaginative scenario coming to fruition.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We need size!

Hagelin and Miller for Bjugstad and Jimmy Hayes.

Sign Kevin Hayes and Dustin Penner.

Penner-Brass-Zucc
Kreider-Bjugstad-Nash
Hayes-Step-MSL
Lomardi-Moore-Hayes

(By far the biggest lineup in the NHL)

;)

77- I agree on Booth. I've said it before. We need to add value to the organization. Three simple facts:

1. We aren't good enough.

2. We have no assets to trade.

3. We have no cap space to sign.

Riberio/Booth/Roy/whoever available don't put us over the top. We are however attractive and will be able to attract players that might at the deadline / next summer. But, in order to be able to trade for a player like that -- we must add assets. The — only — way to do that is to do that is to play kids in a good environment.

And we definitely has that environment for the kids. I do t think many realize this. But the opertunities we could give a kid in 14/15 is 10x as good as I've seen in the last 8 years. Next to MSL . Next to Brass-Zucc. In front of a Dan Boyle. Great room.

I usually love the Riberios out there. But now is — not — the time to "waste" the spots we have on the Booths out there...

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Might be worth it to keep re-signing MSL just for the hopes that Stamkos hits the UFA market :naughty:

that would be the perfect "**** you" to Yzerman's little "**** you" he sent us by getting Stralman and Boyle, which was the "**** you" used against the huge "**** you" we first sent him for MSL...

lots of **** you's going around :p

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Yes and he plays against top line competition and top pair D and scores ~60 points without an elite supporting cast.

Very underrated player.

Yes, he is vastly superior to Brassard.

Although, to be fair, Ladd and Wheeler aren't exactly schlubs.

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
Really want to sign booth or pancakes. One or two positions maybe but we can't rely on every position to be filled by prospects. We don't have that kind of system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad