Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
MSL I see taking a similar contract. Maybe one for less money but with a **** ton of bonuses like Inginla got in Boston last season. I don't see him at this point trying to get a huge contract.

Staal is hard because i don't see him as a Ranger past the deadline. Unless he is going to sign a 5m or less deal he is going to be over paid for his role on this team. He has a huge trade value but because he is a potential rental we wont get as much. If its clear the early negotiations arent going well he might even be moved early in the season to increase his value.

Cam is pretty much gone I imagine. He will have 2 seasons as an NHL back up and will want to go to a team where he has a future. He will never be the starting goal tender here. Maybe he stays for 1 more year since this year the goal tender pool had so many options. If its like that again next year I can see him staying.

Seeing How Stepans contract went last time I see him trying to get 6m plus. He is a RFA so we do have some leverage but I do not see this going well. He is a a top tier 2nd line Center but not so much a 1st line Center. Since he is filling the role of the 1c he is going to want to be paid like one.

I love Hags but I see him being used in a trade or trade bait to bring down the cap.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
GAGLine and Fletch make smart, thoughtful and valid arguments.

Other than that, it's scary how much discrepancy there is between the value players have and the value HF posters think they have.

"Staal is a one-dimensional defenseman with concussion issues and limited vision."

I'm laughing so hard at that.

Brooks Orpik and Nikita Nikitin must be better than Marc Staal.

We must be lucky Staal's contract is up then, so we can finally get away from such a flawed player!

Seriously, unreal. :laugh:

I still don't think something based around Staal for Drouin is all that wild of an idea. Teams have different needs and are at different stages in their development.

Drouin hasn't cracked Tampa's lineup yet.

Like I said, the clock is ticking for Yzerman: if Tampa doesn't make some serious strides towards becoming a contender soon, Stamkos is much more likely to leave for nothing in less than two years from today. That's why Tampa went out and made some noise on July 1st. Their window is from now until two seasons from now: not necessarily to win a Cup, but to make Stamkos feel like they're close enough that he'll want to re-sign there.

A Drouin for Staal deal signals, "we're all-in" and going for it right now. Perhaps something is added to Staal. Whatever the specifics, it's the KIND of future for RIGHT NOW move that Tampa is now in the mode to make.

As flashy as he is, it may be 2-3 years until Drouin finds his NHL groove. That's too late for Tampa Bay. If they don't make some noise this year or next, Stamkos will be gone. You can take that to the bank.

you hit on a good point. Teams have different needs. They may value a player more than, say the Rangers if the they are shallow in an area and the Rangers are deep. Theoretically, you try to maintain a certain value, but while you throw out comps here and there, it isn't always that easy. Further, one GM looks at a player in a different way than an other GM. Some GMs can take chances more than others given where they are and how they perceive the future as every team's circumstances are different.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Other than that, it's scary how much discrepancy there is between the value players have and the value HF posters think they have.

"Staal is a one-dimensional defenseman with concussion issues and limited vision."

It is comical.

The only thing thats more comical is the same people following it up with, "they should trade him for a #1 center"

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Good God, man.

The kid hasn't played in an NHL game and was picked 3rd overall. And we're comparing him to one of the top 5 NHL centers of all time? Not to mention suggesting trading the team's best player for a prospect the year after being in the cup finals.

I wouldn't

And the Mess comparisson? a pretty big stretch there don't you think.

Drouin is not a guy that is physically capable of plowing through guys.

I'd have a hard time making a McD for MacKinnon trade. And we already know how good he is against NHL talent. Drouin? Jury is still out.

Whats the point of bothering if you want to trade McDonagh for a prospect?
The NHL 14 mentality. They look at Drouin and see that he has 5 star potential. McDonagh on the other hand only has 4.5 stars is getting close to reaching that potential. They want their knew shiny 5 star toy vs. the established 4.5 star, star. Drouin could easily bust. Every one wants to act as if kids like this are immune from not realizing their potential.

Last edited:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
You really can tell it's summer in here. Trade McDonagh for a prospect that hasn't played an NHL game? WTF!?

Stay the course. Pouliot's production is actually going to be the hardest to replace rather than Richards'. Dan Boyle should cover Richards' PP points. Bring in a guy like Stempniak or another under the radar signing like Peter Mueller to push the kids in camp.

If kids like Miller and Lindberg can't beat out Matt Lombardi in camp for a spot, I have news for you. They're not ready for the NHL anyway. It's not the end of the world.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Blog article: Booth could be this years pouliot

http://nyrangersblog.com/uncategorized/booth-could-be-this-years-pouliot.html

Never realized how good his possession numbers were.

I don't subscribe to the idea that we need a "this year's Pouliot."

The lines don't always stay the same and you don't always just plug in replacement players.

We have enough borderline NHL-ready prospects that it's safe to say at least one will shine in camp and grab the wing spot next to Miller or Lindberg on the third line (Kristo, Haggerty, Fast, Duclair to name a few). There's usually that one guy who nobody expected to be close who surprises in camp, whether he ends up making the team out of camp or not.

Zuccarello, St. Louis, Nash, and Kreider should be our top-6 wingers.

Brassard and Stepan will center the top two lines.

That leaves a likely third line of

Hagelin - Miller/Lindberg - Kristo/Haggerty/Fast

I'm more than fine with letting the cream rise to the top rather than settling for "what's left" on the FA market and HOPING to catch lightning in a bottle with a reclamation project (Booth/Fatoguchi/Suckniak)

We don't need this year's Pouliot. We need this year's young player who actually earns his spot.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Bryan Little.Derrick Brassard. The Rangers will do a 3 year deal for less money. Dubinsky's 2011 contract was 2 years of group 2 and 2 of 3. $3.75M in first 2 and $4.65M in last two. First year of Brassard and Zuccarello will be group 2. Callahan was one year away from group 3 in 11. He got 3 years. $4 million per in first 2 years and $4.825 million in 3rd year. That got done the day before the hearing. Dubinsky got done right before the hearing. 3 years for Brassard and Zuccarello are fine. Both of them are good players but aren't worth long term investments

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The more I think about it, the more I think Wingels should be a trade target. Exactly what this team needs. C/RW with size that shoots righty. On a very manageable contract at 2.475m for the next three years [this in itself is an inherent disadvantage as SJ just re-upped him to that deal].

26 years old. Plays more wing than center. FF and CF both over 50% but negative relative to the rest of the team, mostly due to being on SJ, I'd assume. 1.84 points/60. 16 goals, 22 assists in 72 regular season games. Will make up for Pouliot's departure. Will drop the gloves occasionally.

Gonna open up a Value Of: thread on the trade rumors section after I post this. I'm generally curious to see what SJ fans might want for him.

Miller/Bourque?
Miller/Hrivik?
Miller/_____?

I'd definitely do that.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Steps a low tier 1C at 24, having him locked up long term around 6 wouldn't be the worst thing we could do.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
You really can tell it's summer in here. Trade McDonagh for a prospect that hasn't played an NHL game? WTF!?

Stay the course. Pouliot's production is actually going to be the hardest to replace rather than Richards'. Dan Boyle should cover Richards' PP points. Bring in a guy like Stempniak or another under the radar signing like Peter Mueller to push the kids in camp.

If kids like Miller and Lindberg can't beat out Matt Lombardi in camp for a spot, I have news for you. They're not ready for the NHL anyway. It's not the end of the world.

Excellent post here.. it's good to see some posters who make sense and have a grip on reality

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
The more I think about it, the more I think Wingels should be a trade target. Exactly what this team needs. C/RW with size that shoots righty. On a very manageable contract at 2.475m for the next three years [this in itself is an inherent disadvantage as SJ just re-upped him to that deal].

26 years old. Plays more wing than center. FF and CF both over 50% but negative relative to the rest of the team, mostly due to being on SJ, I'd assume. 1.84 points/60. 16 goals, 22 assists in 72 regular season games. Will make up for Pouliot's departure. Will drop the gloves occasionally.

Gonna open up a Value Of: thread on the trade rumors section after I post this. I'm generally curious to see what SJ fans might want for him.

Miller/Bourque?
Miller/Hrivik?
Miller/_____?

I'd definitely do that.
If I'm trading Miller I'm expecting Thornton in return

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Brooks Orpik and Nikita Nikitin must be better than Marc Staal.

We must be lucky Staal's contract is up then, so we can finally get away from such a flawed player!

Seriously, unreal. :laugh:

I still don't think something based around Staal for Drouin is all that wild of an idea. Teams have different needs and are at different stages in their development.

Drouin hasn't cracked Tampa's lineup yet.

Like I said, the clock is ticking for Yzerman: if Tampa doesn't make some serious strides towards becoming a contender soon, Stamkos is much more likely to leave for nothing in less than two years from today. That's why Tampa went out and made some noise on July 1st. Their window is from now until two seasons from now: not necessarily to win a Cup, but to make Stamkos feel like they're close enough that he'll want to re-sign there.

A Drouin for Staal deal signals, "we're all-in" and going for it right now. Perhaps something is added to Staal. Whatever the specifics, it's the KIND of future for RIGHT NOW move that Tampa is now in the mode to make.

As flashy as he is, it may be 2-3 years until Drouin finds his NHL groove. That's too late for Tampa Bay. If they don't make some noise this year or next, Stamkos will be gone. You can take that to the bank.

Explain to me what Staal is if not a one dimensional player with injury concerns in terms of both concussions and limited vision.

Staal hasn't produced offence in 3+ seasons.

He's admitted that his vision will never be the same and that it will never be 100% again.

He's missed time in two seperate seasons due to the concussion.

He IS a top notch shut down defenceman that doesn't offer much else.

Where am I off on the above?

And you think that a GM is going to give up a player with Drouins potential for player like Staal?

GM's like Gainey that move young prospects with potential like McDonagh for proven ability like Gomez do not populate the game any longer.

And you have yet to answer the question. With Edmonton needing D, and Yakupov not living up to potential, why have they not moved him for a proven guy like a Staal.

If a proven commodity is more valuable to a potential return, that's a deal they should have been looking to make a long time ago. Escpecially considering the wealth of young forward talent that team has.

It's because the potential of what these players are capable of doing far out weighs what the proven player is going to offer.

Drouin falls in the same boat for Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad