Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

Rangers aren't trading Brassard. If his demands are too high, it will go to arbitration and he will play with his awarded salary for one year. He will become a UFA and walk next July.

If they trade him because of high salary demands, who are the Rangers getting in return for an unsigned player headed for arbitration, with high salary demands? Not exactly the kind of player teams are looking for, because the salary cap is a very real issue.

It wouldn't be an upgrade. Brassard playing on his arbitration awarded contract is more valuable to the Rangers than whatever the return would be in a salary dump trade.

Lombardi is insurance in case Miller isn't ready yet, not insurance in case Brassard wants/gets more money.

This is the reason some have been harping on the Rangers will not be upgrading at this point. Lombardi IS Pouliot's replacement, unless at this point Kevin Hayes signs, because there will be virtually no cap space left after the RFAs are signed.

The coaching staff and management arent talking about Lombardi, Mueller, and Glass in some sort of smokescreen manner. They see them as players on this roster.

There will be most likely LESS than a million in cap space when the RFAs sign. This is the roster.

C: Stepan, Brassard, Miller, Moore, Lombardi, Mueller
W: Kreider, Nash, St. Louis, Hagelin, Zuccarello, Glass, Tarnasky
D: McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Boyle, Moore, Klein, Kostka

Unless another kid swoops in and takes a spot, thats it.

The 12th and 13th forwards are at 600K each. And the 7th defenseman is at 600K.

Swap one out for anyone paid more and we are likely over the cap.

I posted this over a week ago. The Rangers needed another top 9 forward on a value contract. I hoped it would be a righty like Stempniak or Setoguchi, but it turned out to be Lombardim Fine. He fits the character and identity of the team.

With that extra 800K hit, theres no room left. Literally none.

I'm not as down on this roster as some. I see value there, the same way Stralman, Pouliot, D.Moore, and even Brian Boyle were when they were all acquired. Dirt cheap value pick ups that play niche roles and can become contributors. Same scouts picked these guys that picked their predecessors.

Zuccarello Awesome*

I've been looking at San Jose (Joe Thornton) because they have so many centers (especially with Pavelski and Couture as two great top-6 centers), but Florida actually has quite a lot of NHL-ready centers:

Huberdeau
Barkov
Bjugstad
Bolland
Fleischmann

...even Kopecky, MacKenzie, and Brandon Pirri are natural centers.

Well, I think it's obvious that Huberdeau isn't going anywhere, and they just signed Bolland. I wonder if they'd be willing to part with one of Barkov/Bjugstad for the right price.

I'm thinking something along the lines of

Marc Staal and Derrick Brassard for Bjugstad and Brian Campbell (FLA retains 15%)

The problem with Staal (as always), however, is that FLA would be weary of trading for him without an extension.

That trade would actually leave us about 3 million under the cap and the roster would look like this:

Nash Stepan St. Louis
Kreider Bjugstad Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller Haggerty
Glass Moore Lombardi
Kristo
Lindberg
Fast

McDonagh Girardi
Campbell Boyle
Moore Klein
Kostka
McIlrath
Allen

Lundqvist
Talbot

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Chris Kreider ($2.500m) / Nick Bjugstad ($0.900m) / Mats Zuccarello ($4.000m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Ryan Haggerty ($0.925m)
Tanner Glass ($1.450m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Matthew Lombardi ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Brian Campbell ($6.071m—15.00%) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
John Moore ($1.200m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Mike Kostka ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,303,110; BONUSES: $833,333
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,696,890

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Can't do miller and haggerty on the same roster at this time.... You have to replace haggarty with stempniak or someone of that caliber

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I've been looking at San Jose (Joe Thornton) because they have so many centers (especially with Pavelski and Couture as two great top-6 centers), but Florida actually has quite a lot of NHL-ready centers:

Huberdeau
Barkov
Bjugstad
Bolland
Fleischmann

...even Kopecky, MacKenzie, and Brandon Pirri are natural centers.

Well, I think it's obvious that Huberdeau isn't going anywhere, and they just signed Bolland. I wonder if they'd be willing to part with one of Barkov/Bjugstad for the right price.

I'm thinking something along the lines of

Marc Staal and Derrick Brassard for Bjugstad and Brian Campbell (FLA retains 15%)

The problem with Staal (as always), however, is that FLA would be weary of trading for him without an extension.

That trade would actually leave us about 3 million under the cap and the roster would look like this:

Nash Stepan St. Louis
Kreider Bjugstad Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller Haggerty
Glass Moore Lombardi
Kristo
Lindberg
Fast

McDonagh Girardi
Campbell Boyle
Moore Klein
Kostka
McIlrath
Allen

Lundqvist
Talbot

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Chris Kreider ($2.500m) / Nick Bjugstad ($0.900m) / Mats Zuccarello ($4.000m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Ryan Haggerty ($0.925m)
Tanner Glass ($1.450m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Matthew Lombardi ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Brian Campbell ($6.071m—15.00%) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
John Moore ($1.200m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Mike Kostka ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,303,110; BONUSES: $833,333
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,696,890

Would love that trade, but I doubt Florida does that unless we add, or Marc signs an extension.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This team will compete. They have enough quality players to be in a playoff position by the deadline. They need to make it to the deadline when they will get a little more cap space to possibly add a 2nd line center rental.

Zuccarello Awesome*

This team will compete. They have enough quality players to be in a playoff position by the deadline. They need to make it to the deadline when they will get a little more cap space to possibly add a 2nd line center rental.

And if the best 2C available is one of the dopes who just signed a one year deal?

And again, we'll trade a 1st rounder and then have a thread about paying Stepan 6+ million a season to be a glorified 2C.

The center issue should be addressed for the long-term, not via a rental IMO.

San Jose and Florida have tons of NHL-ready centermen.

Go get Joe Thornton or swing a deal for Bjugstad/Barkov. You have to give to get.

It's time to get creative, Glen.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Can't do miller and haggerty on the same roster at this time.... You have to replace haggarty with stempniak or someone of that caliber

This is precisely the perpetually backwards logic that got this team into trouble in the past.

Lee ****ing Stempniak? He's a haircut away from crossing the Atlantic. He'll wind up another KHL scrub (if he's lucky). Possibly the Swiss league instead.

Why on Earth would we sign this guy instead of letting a guy who actually has a
chance to be a legitimate part of our future grow at the NHL level (of course, assuming he shows in camp that he deserves that chance)?

Doesn't have to be Ryan Haggerty.

Ryan Haggerty
Danny Kristo
JT Miller
Jesper Fast
Oscar Lindberg

Dylan McIlrath
Conor Allen

All those guys are either borderline or NHL-ready, at least for a taste.

Lee Stempniak? Please. Wake up and smell the coffee.

As far as putting two rookies on the same line, as long as it's not in the top-6, and they're not hurting the team, what's the difference?

Hagelin Miller Haggerty/Kristo/Fast/Lindberg would probably be a fine combination. Hagelin's speed and defensive awareness creates enough of a cushion for the rookies to play their games and learn on the job.

It's not like pairing two rookie defensemen together.

Do you know which team (off the top of my head) featured two rookies on the same line last season?

The LA Kings.

How'd that work out for them? Were Pearson and Toffoli such a liability for them?

Reality check: The NHL is now a young man's game. The average age is getting younger and younger every season. And every season, more and more Lee ****ing Stempniaks go overseas in search of a job!

There's a reason Lee Stempniak isn't signed on now July 18th, and I'll tell you right now: it's not because he's weighing the many offers of a bidding war for his services.

We have veterans in all the right spots. There aren't any open spots in our
Top-6 (F) or Top-4 (D).

The few spots in the bottom half of the lineup that are open? LET THE KIDS PLAY. They are the future.

Lee ****ing Stempniak...why I oughta... :P

Zuccarello Awesome*

It's not time to be creative.. we just got to the SCF no need to rip apart the team

It's odd to me that

a) you read "get creative" and somehow heard "rip apart the team."

b) you think getting creative and making one trade to bring in a top center is somehow ripping apart the team

Lundqvist
McDonagh
Girardi
Kreider
Zuccarello
Nash
St. Louis
J. Moore
D. Moore
Hagelin

are all going to be here.

Dan Boyle replaced Stralman.

If one or two of Stepan/Brassard/Staal are traded to acquire a bonafide first line center who helps make us a better team, that's "ripping apart the team" and you'd be against that?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Brassard is looking for long term 5.5per? I like him but in no way is he worth that.

It's sounds like and awful lot of money, and especially makes Zucc demands seem extremely reasonable (why should Zucc get a cent less than Brass?), but OTOH it's very easy to be fooled by the people having "predicted" Brass' "worth" the last 12 months or so. These things are rollin' fast and it's hard to keep up. There's been some real expensive contracts signed lately...

Zuccarello Awesome*

It's sounds like and awful lot of money, and especially makes Zucc demands seem extremely reasonable (why should Zucc get a cent less than Brass?), but OTOH it's very easy to be fooled by the people having "predicted" Brass' "worth" the last 12 months or so. These things are rollin' fast and it's hard to keep up. There's been some real expensive contracts signed lately...

UFA deals should not and will not have any impact on Brassard's RFA contract.

Berglund at 3.7 was a great comparable.

Tyler Ennis's new deal is bad news, however.

I still maintain that Brassard ends up getting 3.9 on a multi-year deal.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Brassard, Kristo, Skjei for ROR
Staal for Jonathan Drouin

Kreider O'Reilly St. Louis
Drouin Stepan Nash
Hagelin Miller Zuccarello
Glass Moore Lombardi

McDonagh Girardi
Moore Boyle
Allen Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

It'll be easier to find a defensive defenseman (if Moore and Allen can't split Staal's minutes) than to find offense during the season.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Woah. Two prophets.

Could you tell me who wins the Cup so I don't need to watch?

I'm laughing out loud right now imagining Boston Bruins fans last year saying

"Seguin isn't getting traded."

:laugh:

Yea bro, the almighty elite Derek Stepan is untouchable. He's the next Gretzky!

Keep posting atrocious trade proposals.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
UFA deals should not and will not have any impact on Brassard's RFA contract.

Berglund at 3.7 was a great comparable.

Tyler Ennis's new deal is bad news, however.

I still maintain that Brassard ends up getting 3.9 on a multi-year deal.

I hope you are right, but 1.6m is a lot of ground to cover in 2 weeks. Not good news from my point of view...

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Brassard, Kristo, Skjei for ROR
Staal for Jonathan Drouin

Kreider O'Reilly St. Louis
Drouin Stepan Nash
Hagelin Miller Zuccarello
Glass Moore Lombardi

McDonagh Girardi
Moore Boyle
Allen Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

It'll be easier to find a defensive defenseman (if Moore and Allen can't split Staal's minutes) than to find offense during the season.

I can't believe you think Staal would net the Rangers Drouin.

Zuccarello Awesome*

I hope you are right, but 1.6m is a lot of ground to cover in 2 weeks. Not good news from my point of view...

Oh definitely. I agree, Ola. Just have a feeling he ends up closer to 4 than 5.5. And we both hope so.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I can't believe you think a player who's never played in the NHL has more value than Marc Staal, contract or no contract.

Because Drouin does have more value? No injury history like Staal. Not 1 year away from UFA. Cost controlled for at least the next 3 years to a team that is currently up against the cap.

Not to mention his enormous potential. You will not find a GM in the game would trade Drouin for Staal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad