Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
ugh that winnik deal, he was exactly the type of player we should have been targeting. Not to make it about glass again, but I guess I am.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Absolute worst case scenario, could we bump Klein up to the Staal pairing at ES and shelter Boyle and Moore if Boyle really can't handle 2nd line minutes? Staal-Klein should be steady defensively, but AV would have to rely on the top 2 pairings a lot more,

Boyle > Klein. Boyle provides a puck moving presence on the second pair. Staal-Klein would be perpetually trapped in the defensive zone.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Don't remember him ever playing with Vlasic from all the times I watched SJ. I saw Boyle play with Braun a lot.

Could be wrong though.

Looks like he played most with Irwin (50.9%) Followed by Vlasic (21.3%)

http://www.extraskater.com/player/427/dan-boyle

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Stempniak - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller - St. Louis
Glass - Moore - Lombardi
Bisonnette ( :p: )

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
Kostka

Hank
Talbot

If there are no trades or surprises from now until October, and Stempniak can switch to LW, I think that's our lineup. Lines 2 and 3 are interchangeable. I'd love for Lombardi to really surprise and win the 3C spot, effectively making him 2C between Hagelin and St. Louis. A guy like Mueller can step in and play the fourth line for the year.

Interestingly, and not so interestingly, the Rangers website has Nash AND Zuccarello listed as LWers on their roster page. Somebody has to fire the intern ;)

Last edited:

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
Kostka

Hank
Talbot

If there are no trades or surprises from now until October, and Stempniak can switch to LW, I think that's our lineup. Lines 2 and 3 are interchangeable. I'd love for Lombardi to really surprise and win the 3C spot, effectively making him 2C between Hagelin and St. Louis. A guy like Mueller can step in and play the fourth line for the year.

Interestingly, and not so interestingly, the Rangers website has Nash AND Zuccarello listed as LWers on their roster page. Somebody has to fire the intern ;)

I think you are absolutely correct barring camp/preseason injuries.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I don't see how they're similar at all aside from being lefty defenders.

They are. They play a near identical game. Mistake free tall defensive defensemen that can shutdown any player in the league. Not a lot of offensive puck skills but very very good defensemen.

Vlasic is a little smoother skater, while Staal is more physical.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
They are. They play a near identical game. Mistake free tall defensive defensemen that can shutdown any player in the league. Not a lot of offensive puck skills but very very good defensemen.

Vlasic is a little smoother skater, while Staal is more physical.

Vlasic is about average height. And they really don't play a similar style at all. I would describe Staal as almost "dynamic" defensively. Vlasic is just steady and smooth, like Stralman.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Vlasic is about average height. And they really don't play a similar style at all. I would describe Staal as almost "dynamic" defensively. Vlasic is just steady and smooth, like Stralman.

That's a good comparison.

Vlasic is just disgustingly efficient. Like Stralman. Though Vlasic is the much better player.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Vlasic is better than either of Staal or Stralman. It's not a coincidence that Vlasic missed the last four games of the series against LA...

Better than Staalsy? Dayum. Granted I don't watch San Jose much.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
ugh that winnik deal, he was exactly the type of player we should have been targeting. Not to make it about glass again, but I guess I am.

Rangers are only going to sign a player if they are $900,000 or cheaper, so they don't effect the cap. All of these players that they are "missing" on are getting paid more than that.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
Kostka

Hank
Talbot

Assuming you're listing these in order (1st to 4th line) - how on earth are you putting MSL, the guy who had the most points last season, on the 3rd line?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
*sigh* I love this place sometimes...

Assuming you're listing these in order (1st to 4th line) - how on earth are you putting MSL, the guy who had the most points last season, on the 3rd line?

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
Kostka

Hank
Talbot

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
Kostka

Hank
Talbot

If there are no trades or surprises from now until October, and Stempniak can switch to LW, I think that's our lineup. Lines 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

Lines 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

Zoomed in for your viewing pleasure.

If you mean to say, how can I put MSL with Miller and Hagelin? Then yes, you have a case. My defense is that I do not foresee Nash moving to LW or moving away from Stepan. Same goes for Zuccarello not moving from right to left, or being separated from Brassard.

However, if Nash does move to LW, I wouldn't mind:

Nash - Stepan - MSL
Kreider - Brassard - MZA
Hagelin - Miller - Stempniak
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

Better?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
*sigh* I love this place sometimes...

Zoomed in for your viewing pleasure.

If you mean to say, how can I put MSL with Miller and Hagelin? Then yes, you have a case. My defense is that I do not foresee Nash moving to LW or moving away from Stepan. Same goes for Zuccarello not moving from right to left, or being separated from Brassard.

However, if Nash does move to LW, I wouldn't mind:

Nash - Stepan - MSL
Kreider - Brassard - MZA
Hagelin - Miller - Stempniak
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

Better?

"Interchangeable" - so, depending on performance night in and night out, MSL will likely be on the 3rd line (particularly since he's paired with Hagelin and Miller). Didn't really need all of the zooming, thanks.

I like the Nash move to LW lineup a lot better. Miller hasn't proved much at the NHL level and Stempniak shouldn't be ahead of MSL on the depth chart nor should he be paired with Brassard ahead of MSL.

The real question here is whether any of our RW's can play the left side and be as effective. I'd wager that Nash has the best chance of doing that.

Don't know enough about Lombardi (I mean, I remember him playing in the NHL and having speed and talent) to know whether or not he can be an effective wing or even whether he still has enough to play in the NHL. Hoping he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad