Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Miller has 10 points in 56 NHL games. I'm encouraged by the AHL numbers, but we can't pencil him in for that kind of production until he shows something at the highest level.

I mean 10 points isn't setting the world on fire but it's not like he has one or two points. That's a passable pace for a 19-20 year old call up. He's shown flashes of great skill, and he's very, uh, pugnacious, I guess.

Just an example, Kesler had 5 points in 28 games as a 19 year old, and 23 points in 82 games as a 20 year old.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Miller has 10 points in 56 NHL games. I'm encouraged by the AHL numbers, but we can't pencil him in for that kind of production until he shows something at the highest level.

This is true, but right now, it's either him, or Dom Moore... There are no other options, and the kid has dominated.

That sample of 56 games is rather spaced out, and includes many "games" where Torts threw him on the 4th line and played him for less than 6 minutes a game... unfortunately, as much as they could paint a picture, they might be painting the wrong one...

He has 5 points in 30 games this year. If you look at his game log, notice that the majority of his games are from October through December. Afterwards, his NHL time was reduced to 2-3 games per month on average at best... ALso note that the first 3 months of the season were the worse for the ENTIRE rangers team...

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/millejt01/gamelog/2014/

In short, the guy was pulled up onto a trainwreck of a team still learning a new system with the 1C holding out for more $, a starting goalie playing like trash, Michael Del Zaster on the 3rd pairing, and a backup goalie who could not stop a beach ball...

and the kid STILL put up some points.

If you look AFTER December, Miller played 7 games in total, and in those 7 games he scored 3 points...

In short, the first 23 games were a **** show for the entire team. When the entire team put it all together, he finally looked solid.

I do notice in these stats that his +/- is horrific, so his defensive play DOES need help, however putting him on a line with Hags and MSL, some of the defensive flaws should not only be covered up, but Miller should also be able to learn from those 2 players, especially MSL

Last edited:

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I know it's possible, but anything less than 30ish even strength points and decent all around play makes Miller a dropoff from Richards. And we were already weak down the middle to start with. I'm expecting this team to be worse at this point. I'd expect the next upswing in 15-16 when we get the possible infusions of Skjei, Duclair, and Buchnevich.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I know it's possible, but anything less than 30ish even strength points and decent all around play makes Miller a dropoff from Richards. And we were already weak down the middle to start with. I'm expecting this team to be worse at this point. I'd expect the next upswing in 15-16 when we get the possible infusions of Skjei, Duclair, and Buchnevich.

I would say at worst, we're slightly worse than last year. Generally speaking, I think we're about equal, and at best I can see some increase in production from just about the entire top 9 Forwards as well as the top 4 Defenders (sans Girardi. I actually think Staal will be better this year)

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I would say at worst, we're slightly worse than last year. Generally speaking, I think we're about equal, and at best I can see some increase in production from just about the entire top 9 Forwards as well as the top 4 Defenders (sans Girardi. I actually think Staal will be better this year)

Staal's going to have to do a lot more work this year. Boyle will require covering for that Stralman never did.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Last offseason moves (crystal ball)

• J Moore signs at or around QO
  • One more NHL roster player is signed for cheap (Hayes, Penner, Carbomb, Carter???)
  • We will see a Sather trade

Book it

BTW - first post is updated

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Staal's going to have to do a lot more work this year. Boyle will require covering for that Stralman never did.

on paper, worse, and a lot of things need to go right for it to be as good, but then again, I'm not sure I thought the team was as good as they were last season. And in the end, it will depend on Lundqvist and the defense to take the team wherever it goes.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
well you can see why Zuc took one yr at 3.5 as it only leaves room for Moore to sign and a million cap space

im confident he signs longer in January. If they gave him more now they would be screwed in the cap. He'd fit for a million more but barely

Championship*

I wonder how Marc Staal survived before Anton Straalman was born...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I think 30--30+ points would be reasonable production for Miller in a 3rd line center role this coming year. He should play with good players so there wouldn't be much excuse not to put up numbers like that--the same could be said if Oscar Lindberg got the nod instead of Miller. Either would be an improvement over Richards in other ways--keeping up and playing over a 200' of ice surface--more physical play and energy and at least in a short amount of time better defending when the other team has the puck.

LundqvistsEvilTwin

Jun 26, 2014
detroit
you think after next year if st louis continues to play and decides to finish his career in ny.. you think he takes a pay cut? lots of guys to sign next off season... hagelin,zucc,steps,staal... hard to believe in 2020, brassard will still be a ranger:shakehead

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
you think after next year if st louis continues to play and decides to finish his career in ny.. you think he takes a pay cut? lots of guys to sign next off season... hagelin,zucc,steps,staal... hard to believe in 2020, brassard will still be a ranger:shakehead

As I'm entering my 50s around then, it's hard to believe he'll be around only 32. No guarantees he's a Ranger in 2020.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The correct answer is both of them. McIlrath has to overtake Klein at some point this season. Allen has to overtake Moore. Skjei will slot in for 2015-16. Our defense should convert to this in a year:

McDonagh-Girardi
Skjei-Boyle
Allen-McIlrath

Setting aside Nash,
Girardi, not Klein, should go. Would create more cap space and more room to bring in an AV style fit.

I'm with RB on moving Staal, but only for a good return and pref after Girardi being moved creates more space, we can have option to sign Staal + move him on extended deal, which is worth more.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
  • J Moore signs at or around QO
  • One more NHL roster player is signed for cheap (Hayes, Penner, Carbomb, Carter???)
  • We will see a Sather trade

Book it

BTW - first post is updated

Do we have enough for ELC max for him?
Assuming that would count the day he signs, not the day he shows up at camp (few extra days for Slats to make more space).

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
As I'm entering my 50s around then, it's hard to believe he'll be around only 32. No guarantees he's a Ranger in 2020.

Do people not realize that trades can and will happen? Signing a good player at a good salary for 5 years isn't a bad thing as long as he is paid accordingly.

For God's sake, he isn't making Gomez/Drury/Redden salary here. The guy makes as much money as Rozsival did years ago.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I wonder how Marc Staal survived before Anton Straalman was born...

1) Literal answer: He didn't. Stralman's a few months older than Staal

2) It's not an insult to Staal to suggest that's he's going to have a lot more work to do with Dan Boyle as his partner than he did with Stralman. Boyle's a far cry defensively and possession wise from Stralman.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
It's also not an insult to Stralman to say the Staal-Boyle pair will put up more point than the Staal-Stralman pair did

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
It's also not an insult to Stralman to say the Staal-Boyle pair will put up more point than the Staal-Stralman pair did

the issue will be does that pairing result in a greater net goal difference than its predecessor. More goals will be better only if there aren't more goals against than goals for being scored.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Absolute worst case scenario, could we bump Klein up to the Staal pairing at ES and shelter Boyle and Moore if Boyle really can't handle 2nd line minutes? Staal-Klein should be steady defensively, but AV would have to rely on the top 2 pairings a lot more,

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Absolute worst case scenario, could we bump Klein up to the Staal pairing at ES and shelter Boyle and Moore if Boyle really can't handle 2nd line minutes? Staal-Klein should be steady defensively, but AV would have to rely on the top 2 pairings a lot more,

that's been put out there and then you worry what a Moore/Boyle pairing would look like. I think we will see answers in camp. Not sure if we've seen AV say that Boyle will play with Staal. One hopes they mesh, but they've never played together. Who knows?

Zuccarello Awesome*

I don't think Boyle is AS bad as many here are thinking he is. He isn't Stralman, but he isn't Christian Backman either

This. And what he loses in footspeed, he mostly makes up in smarts and experience. He's not going to panic if he loses a step on someone. He'll be fine, and I think he could actually excel playing with Staal. Who has he played with in San Jose that was even close to as good as Staal defensively?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
This. And what he loses in footspeed, he mostly makes up in smarts and experience. He's not going to panic if he loses a step on someone. He'll be fine, and I think he could actually excel playing with Staal. Who has he played with in San Jose that was even close to as good as Staal defensively?

Vlasic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad