Speculation: 2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't want an overhaul. Less is more.

The one thing I think that needs to change (in the next couple years) is turning Yandle or Gormley into an asset at a position of need. We can't go for very long with OEL, Yandle and Gormley playing LHD. That's too much of our talent tied up in one position.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
I didn't sleep much and need to get the crazy out...

and I do emphasize crazy:

Kane (6.0) - Ribeiro (5.5) - Doan (5.05)
Domi (.925) - Vermette (3.75) - Boedker (2.8)
Lessio (.8675) - Hanzal (3.25) - Erat (2.25)
McMillan (.75) - Vitale (1.0) - Thorburn (1.0)
Szwarz (.65)

OEL (4.0) - Robidas (2.5)
Gormley (.81) - Fayne (3.0)
Summers (1.0) - Stone (1.2)
Carkner (1.5)

Smith (6.0)
Viz or UFA (.87)

Total: 54.7M - leaves room for other signings or moves during season, and don't have to be $ for $

Unrealistic Trades:

Yotes: Kane, Carkner, UFA Thorburn, Conditional NYI 2015 3rd (becomes 2nd if Greiss signs)
Jets: Yandle, Nielson, Grabner, (maybe swap 2014 1st's with the Isles)
Isles: Byfuglien, Korpikoski, Clitsome, UFA Greiss

Yotes: Conditional 2015 2nd (becomes 1st if Vrbata signs)
Canes: Michalek, UFA Vrbata

UFA signings: Robidas 2yrs, Fayne 3/4yrs, Vitale 2yrs, Thorburn 1/2yrs (from above trade)

Klinkhammer, Schlemko and Chipchura: traded for whatever or waived, possibly keep Chip.
Moss, Morris, Halpern and Bissonnette all walk as UFA, possibly sign Biz.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My attempted roster reconfiguration. Probably totally unrealistic, haha.

Skinner (6) – Hanzal (3.25) – Vrbata (4.5)
Domi (.925) – Vermette (3.75) – Boedker (2.8)
Erat (2.25) – Bozak (4) – Doan (5.05)
McMillan (.745) – Vitale (1) – M. Brown (1)
Szwarz (.633)

OEL (4) – Michalek (4)
Gormley (.81) – Orpik (4)
Summers (.75) – Stone (1.2)
Schlemko (1.275) – Murphy (.833)

Smith (6)
Greiss (1.25)

Total Salary: 60.021
Total Cap: 63.105

Rationale:
- Moss, Halpern, and Morris are released as unsigned UFAs. Reasoning should be self-explanatory.
- I’ve also left Bissonnette unsigned, mainly because I’ve kept Szwarz as the spare forward as he’s not waiver exempt. Though I’m not opposed to keeping Biz as well.
- Korpikoski, Chipchura, and Klinkhammer are traded, ideally in deals for 2015 picks and with no salary coming back. Or, use them as “throw ins†in the deals below.
- Ribeiro goes to Toronto for Bozak. I mentioned this in another thread, but Ribeiro had the Leafs as his second team when he was a UFA, so they’re probably not covered by his NTC. We lose on the talent side of the deal but we get a far more responsible centre in return. The two salaries are fairly similar, and the deal can be expanded upon if needed. Could Rib push Kessel from 80 points to 100 points? Sell that to the Leafs.
- Yandle goes to Carolina for Skinner. Have also discussed this before. A 1-for-1 deal seems unlikely, so I’m just mentioning these two as the main pieces in the deal. If Skinner can’t be done, look for another similarly priced winger from the Eastern Conference.
- McMillan, Szwarz, and Summers are re-signed to qualifying offers or modest raises.
- Vitale and Mike Brown are signed to deals averaging about $1M/year. The value and effort these two would bring to our fourth line has been discussed at length.
- Radim Vrbata is re-signed to a 50% raise, at $4.5 million/year. That’s likely at or just below his market value, given the weaker crop available in free agency this year.
- Thomas Greiss is given a 67% raise to $1.25M. He wants a greater opportunity, but I don’t see where he’ll get. Offer him the raise and hope he’s happy with the money.
- A bit of a whipping boy in Pittsburgh, but Brooks Orpik is everything we’re looking for on our blueline. My only point of hesitation is he’s a LHD, but I’ll still take him regardless.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Here’s an alternative version. I’d like to see more changes but this is probably more realistic. We keep Ribeiro and Yandle, and add Steve Ott.

Ribeiro (5.5) – Hanzal (3.25) – Vrbata (4.5)
Domi (.925) – Vermette (3.75) – Boedker (2.8)
Erat (2.25) – Ott (3) – Doan (5.05)
McMillan (.745) – Vitale (1) – M. Brown (1)
Szwarz (.633)

OEL (4) – Michalek (4)
Yandle (5.5) – Stone (1.2)
Gormley (.81) - Summers (.75)
Schlemko (1.275) – Murphy (.833)

Smith (6)
Greiss (1.25)

Total Salary: 60.021
Total Cap: 62.930

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
This roster is 15K over the suspected 61M upper limit on salary, and it probably would have been simpler to just keep Ribs at C instead of shifting him to LW. But I kinda wanted to see if I can field 2 legit scoring lines. :) Blueline loses a bit of depth.

Trade Domi, Korpikoski, + 2 2014 2nds to WPG for Evander Kane
Trade Stone to TBL for Alex Killorn

Kane (6) - Vermette (3.75) - Boedker (2.8)
Ribeiro (5.5) - Hanzal (3.25) - Vrbata (4)
Doan (5.05) - Killorn (1.75) - Erat (2.25)
McMillan (0.75) - Vitale (1) - Brown (0.75)
Szwarz (0.65)

OEL (4) - Michalek (4)
Yandle (5.5) - Murphy (0.84)
Gormley (0.81) - Summers (0.65)
Engelland (0.75)

Smith (6)
Greiss (1.1)

Total: 61.15M

Alternatively, keep Ribs at center and nix the Stone trade. Call up Lessio

Kane (6) - Ribeiro (5.5) - Doan (5.05)
Erat (2.25) - Hanzal (3.25) - Vrbata (4)
Lessio (0.83) - Vermette (3.75) - Boedker (2.8)
McMillan (0.75) - Vitale (1) - Brown (0.75)
Szwarz (0.65)

OEL (4) - Michalek (4)
Yandle (5.5) - Stone (1.2)
Gormley (0.81) - Summers (0.65)
Engelland (0.75)

Smith (6)
Greiss (1.1)

Total: 60.59M

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Least experienced top seven in the NHL. We'd get run over.

At least we'd have a reason for getting run over. :sarcasm:

Actually, that's why I think a deal surrounding either Simmonds/Coburn or Read/Coburn for Yandle (and others) would make sense. We'd get our top 4 D-man (and we already have a lot of PMD available), so it makes sense to get a SAH guy with Coburn.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'd do Simmonds and Coburn for Yandle and Korpi. Seems about fair. Read isn't anywhere near Yandle's value. It's shame the Flyers grabbed Streit. Of course they could try to move Streit if they could land Yandle.

Edti: Man Streit's contract is bad...

Simmonds - Ribs - Doan
Domi - Hanzal - Vrby
Erat - Vermette - Boeds
McMillian - Vitale - Szwarz/Brown

OEL - Z
Gormely - Coburn
Summers - Stone

Murphy for call ups

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'd do Simmonds and Coburn for Yandle and Korpi. Seems about fair. Read isn't anywhere near Yandle's value. It's shame the Flyers grabbed Streit. Of course they could try to move Streit if they could land Yandle.

Edti: Man Streit's contract is bad...

Yeah, Streit's got a full NMC/NTC. Coburn is also their best defensive d-man, so I would think Philly would be unwilling to give him up.

I think the window to trade Yandle to Philly has long closed.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Like the size. We are making noticeable efforts to get bigger; especially on our bottom 6. We need to be a harder team to play against.

I like his size to..but I just don't know anything about him other than what his stats show.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I doubt there is a trade market for Ribiero at the moment so I think we're stuck with him. To the poster that suggested trade with Toronto for Bozak I say no chance in hell Leafs make that trade. Bozak is over a million less for similar offense, better defense, and already has chemistry with Kessel and JVR. Not to mention lives with Kessel.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Gives me hope for Erat. He didn't put up any numbers - no one on the team did over that same stretch - but he was solid. Can't argue with his salary.

Erat ended with 2G 4P in 16 games. He easily could have had about three more goals if he had a dash of puck luck, and probably would have consistently looked like he did last night had he not had a concussion. I am excited to see a full season of him and the flexibility he brings to the line up. If worse comes to worse we can probably pull a 2nd for him at the TD next year.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So there's some interest from Wild HFers regarding Korpi. Thoughts on Korpi + 2nd for Brodziak and Zucker? Would certainly help facilitate moving Ribeiro to wing and we get a pretty solid prospect in Zucker.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So there's some interest from Wild HFers regarding Korpi. Thoughts on Korpi + 2nd for Brodziak and Zucker? Would certainly help facilitate moving Ribeiro to wing and we get a pretty solid prospect in Zucker.

That could work. Brodziak point production and ice team were cut the last two years but I think he could put up pretty good numbers here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad