Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Let's make this simple.

When Keith Yandle plays at his best, he is an elite powerplay quarterback and puck-moving and -shooting defenseman.

He has focus issues which result in questionable on-ice judgement, especially in his own zone. That could apply to anyone, in fairness.

The way the Coyotes' roster currently stands, the team cannot adequately compensate for those issues to the point where he becomes indispensable to the offensive effort.

Why don't we leave it there until we see how the team shapes up for next season instead of banging our heads on the same walls?
I'd argue any focus issues he may have are linked to having to do too much. Outside of Yandle the team seemed largely apathetic this past year, he was one of the few who made things happen and just as important he's one of the few who seemed to actually give a ****. The team doesn't need to compensate for him, on the contrary he compensates for most of the team. DM needs to find more Yandles, not trade the only one they have!

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Maloney and Tippett weren't hesitant at all in expressing their disappointment in Ribeiro in the same presser, or Smith earlier in the season. If they were disappointed in Yandle's play, they aren't going to mince words. But instead they specifically used the words "best two-way year of his entire career." And given that he had a -23, that certainly means something.

Maybe, but let's look at this picture another way - GMDM had mentioned that Yandle was on the ice for 12 EN goals, right? So in reality, GMDM is approaching that -23 as a -11.

Well, if we pull our goalie and add the extra attacker, we are trying to ice our best offensive weapons, right? Wouldn't Ribeiro be considered one of our top offensive weapons for his ability to control the puck in tight areas and his offensive skill? So, if Ribeiro was out there for all of the EN goals, he would actually be considered an even player on the year, considering he was -12. That is an example of how stats can lie, as that would assume that he was no better or no worse in helping our team.

People on the boards know that Ribeiro is not the greatest defensive forward, but using that stat in the same context as how it was used for Yandle paints a much sunnier picture than what we know. Same way as GMDM can say that Yandle had the best 2-way year of his career. He's creating a sunnier truth to hide the stats, and honestly, you also say it b/c we were so bad defensively that Yandle was forced into playing more 2-way hockey this year. He didn't back down from that challenge, and b/c he was probably in far more situations that were not ideal (injuries forcing him to play with Summers, Murphy, and Stone at one time or another - all of 101 NHL games of experience between those 3 combined prior to the start of the year), it did take away from his game some.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I'd argue any focus issues he may have are linked to having to do too much. Outside of Yandle the team seemed largely apathetic this past year, he was one of the few who made things happen and just as important he's one of the few who seemed to actually give a ****. The team doesn't need to compensate for him, on the contrary he compensates for most of the team. DM needs to find more Yandles, not trade the only one they have!

You're making the case for why we should trade him right there. When he does too much, he is less effective. When he tries to do less, he and the team are more effective. To me, that equates replacing Yandle with someone who is below Yandle in skill set (not too far below, though) is like getting Yandle when he does less on the ice.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You're making the case for why we should trade him right there. When he does too much, he is less effective. When he tries to do less, he and the team are more effective. To me, that equates replacing Yandle with someone who is below Yandle in skill set (not too far below, though) is like getting Yandle when he does less on the ice.
sigh...no I'm not. You're just being BUX. I could say water is wet and your response would be..."and that's why we have to trade Yandle".

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Somebody should start a poll: Will Kieth Yandle be traded before training camp? Not should he be but will he be. If Tip and DM are hedging for Yandle's D problems in their pressers, he will get traded. There would be 25+ teams interested if they wanted to actively shop him or if the right deal came along. regardless of what was said in the pressers, DM and Tip are highly skilled talent evaluators in my opinion. If a deal made sense to trade Yandle, and they were less then thrilled with him, or think his D play is an on going insurmountable problem, they will trade him. A poll would be interesting to see what coyotes fans think the odds are. I think the poll would be 4 to 1 that he stays...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
We did a similar poll recently, not necessarily what we think DM would do. But what we would do ourselves.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1602891

It was pretty lopsided along the lines of Keep Yandle/Only trade for a good/great deal.

Not the same question exactly, but I would think the fans would be more inclined to trade not less than DM.

Feel free to open a new poll/thread though. I think we do too much in these megathreads sometimes.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I personally think that if Yandle gets traded at all, it is at the Draft and we get a) a VERY good pick, b) a VERY valuable forward, AND c) some legitimate forward depth or veteran defensive presence in return.

In other words, don't hold your breath.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I was all for trading Yandle last year, but when Doan went down this year, Yandle was by far our best player. He really opened me eyes, as all he wants to do is win, and that is the kind of players you need to be successful. This kid makes mistakes, but so did Paul Coffey.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I was all for trading Yandle last year, but when Doan went down this year, Yandle was by far our best player. He really opened me eyes, as all he wants to do is win, and that is the kind of players you need to be successful. This kid makes mistakes, but so did Paul Coffey.

He is heir apparent to the captaincy. Imagine if Yandle was traded. Who is such an obvious choice?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
sigh...no I'm not. You're just being BUX. I could say water is wet and your response would be..."and that's why we have to trade Yandle".

We all have our different ways of viewing the development the team on the whole. I have the belief that Yandle can net us a talented enough return and we will wind up as an improved team on the ice. Same belief that you take with building elsewhere in the forward group and keeping Yandle is the way to improve the team.

Is it not unfair to question if some of his biggest positives can also turn into his biggest vices? Of course he gives a ****. Don't think it doesn't go unnoticed. But doesn't giving a **** lead to trying to do too much if not managed appropriately through the course of a period/game/road trip/season, which is exactly where your concerns lie?

I don't think he will be traded. I'd say 5 to 1 all the way up to 8 to 1 that he does not get dealt. IF we did trade him, I'd say that we do so at the trade deadline or next year's draft

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
We all have our different ways of viewing the development the team on the whole. I have the belief that Yandle can net us a talented enough return and we will wind up as an improved team on the ice. Same belief that you take with building elsewhere in the forward group and keeping Yandle is the way to improve the team.
You've been incessantly trying to float the trade Yandle boat for for quite sometime now, this is just your latest angle.

Is it not unfair to question if some of his biggest positives can also turn into his biggest vices? Of course he gives a ****. Don't think it doesn't go unnoticed. But doesn't giving a **** lead to trying to do too much if not managed appropriately through the course of a period/game/road trip/season, which is exactly where your concerns lie?
No

I don't think he will be traded. I'd say 5 to 1 all the way up to 8 to 1 that he does not get dealt. IF we did trade him, I'd say that we do so at the trade deadline or next year's draft
I don't think he'll be traded either, no matter how hard you pray! :p:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Okay, let's presume that Yandle, as well as OEL and Doan are untouchable. Who can we package for a proven top 3 wing? I think that there will be interest in the young defensemen, Domi and Samuelson, but not enough to grab that primo forward that we need.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Okay, let's presume that Yandle, as well as OEL and Doan are untouchable. Who can we package for a proven top 3 wing? I think that there will be interest in the young defensemen, Domi and Samuelson, but not enough to grab that primo forward that we need.

That is the problem that won't be easy to solve. You are correct that young D, Domi or Samulson, plus draft picks could get us the forward we need, not sure though. I doubt they trade Domi for one. Another way is to sign a UFA and then trade Korpi or other salary dumps for picks to have the cash to pay a UFA. I am hoping we have a quantity (Stone/Sclemko/Korpi/first round pick) for quality trade, an ELC top 6 forward...It will be very tough to do though....

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

I really think you have to add Domi, Samuelson and Boeds to that list too.

Gormely, Korpi and a 2nd could probably do the trick for certain teams.

Stone, Korpi and a 1st perhaps, but I believe our 1st is too high this year to deal.

Hanazl and Stone would probably bring a top 3, but Hanzal is border line untouchable as well. Trading for a top player doesn't seem very likely to me without moving Hanzal or Yandle.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Stone/Sclemko/Korpi/first round pick

This type of trade would have to be to a non competitor. That list is essentially Buffalo and Calgary, as it seems Florida is gunning for the playoffs this upcoming season. Do we really want any players from either team? Hudler maybe but I wouldn't trade a first for him.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Tikhonov has been killing it at the Worlds...now granted he's playing on the best team.

At this point, I'd bring him in as our 4th line center. He kills penalties and should be able to put up points with Lessio and Rieder on the 4th line.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Tikhonov has been killing it at the Worlds...now granted he's playing on the best team.

At this point, I'd bring him in as our 4th line center. He kills penalties and should be able to put up points with Lessio and Rieder on the 4th line.

I didn't even know we still had his rights. I think GMDM made it pretty abundantly clear that the Coyotes weren't going to do anything with their Russian "prospect players," and I think at this point that assessment includes Tikhonov.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
All this trade talk is making it abundantly clear the Coyotes need Domi to hit in the worst way. Trying to trade for a first line player is ridiculously difficult and usually just ends up being a rob Peter to pay Paul situation. Free agency solves that situation but it's ridiculously expensive and the pool to choose from is extremely limited. So that just leaves the draft which is unfortunately slow and takes a lot of luck. So yeah...the Coyotes desperately need Domi to be the real deal.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So according to the artist formerly known as "Shanaban" there are "no untouchables" on the Leafs roster. Let the shopping spree begin!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So yeah...the Coyotes desperately need Domi to be the real deal.

There's a good chance he is. The better question is whether or not he'll be that player under Tippett. Domi really has no two way game.

So according to the artist formerly known as "Shanaban" there are "no untouchables" on the Leafs roster. Let the shopping spree begin!

Yandle and Hanzal for Kadri, JVR, Gardiner? :sarcasm:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Oh he's Shanaban for ever far as I'm concerned.
Just say no to Phaneuf though. He would have worked great under TGO for instance. But I don't think he's a fit other than his position of a big RHD under Tip. Ted ripped on his hockey IQ and I'm inclined to agree.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
There's a good chance he is. The better question is whether or not he'll be that player under Tippett. Domi really has no two way game.

Can't make that conclusion yet because the Hunters are super specific with their player usage in London. Domi's smart, has a good motor, and has NHL bloodlines grounding him. I don't think he'll have any major issues learning to play NHL-level defense at least at an average level.

If Tippett can tolerate Yandle and Ribeiro, he can tolerate Domi.

Yandle and Hanzal for Kadri, JVR, Gardiner?

So we're trading Yandle and Hanzal for a younger Ribeiro and younger Yandle. Wouldn't that qualify as "one step forward, two steps back" for you? :sarcasm:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So we're trading Yandle and Hanzal for a younger Ribeiro and younger Yandle. Wouldn't that qualify as "one step forward, two steps back" for you? :sarcasm:

I think you glazed over three important letters in there. Also I was just going with the whole "getting younger with more desire" thing Maloney wants. :sarcasm:

Also, if you think Kadri is a younger version of Ribeiro I've got some real estate on the moon you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad