2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
It's definitely interesting to see the Coyotes/McEichel story flowing from so many different sources. It gives it a lot more credence.

If Barroway gives GMDM the opportunity to embrace McEichel, what's stopping that same opportunity from being extended to Tipp?

But, if Tipp is to go, I'd still like to see a few more options than just Ulf. That's not a shot at Ulf -- more so, due diligence.
Who else is available? Bylsma? Wilson? Babcock in the summer (doubt it)? Torts (Tipp 2.0)? Brent Sutter? John Stevens? Dale Hunter?

I don't think it would be extended to DT because they are saying the new owner may want to change who the team is. DT is a huge part of who this current team is. Not to mention DT has proven how stubborn and unwilling he is to change. Can you imagine an owner coming in and telling DT that he's going to send the vets out and reshape the team starting with an effort to get one of the top two picks this year? That is everything DT isn't.

Mckenzie stated that both GMDM and DT are two guys who are known to prefer vets. It's only logical to assume there would be some conflict between all three parties if the owner does indeed come in with a new view of the team.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's definitely interesting to see the Coyotes/McEichel story flowing from so many different sources.

Eh I don't know, it seems like typical blogosphere regurgitation to me. One person will write an article based on pure speculation then others will cite that article for their own article and still others will then write articles that reference those articles that referenced the original article which itself was all speculation. Just trying to explain it is a cluster ****! It's like ****** journalism meets Inception only with even less believability. The same story is likely being written for every team that has struggled out of the gate.

On a side note, watching the internet continue to devolve is pretty depressing.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Mckenzie is a bit more than a blogger.
I've seen no links pertaining to McKenzie supporting the claims being made, just speculation by posters and a link to one article full of speculation itself and a link to another article that cited the first. By all means if you have something of substance please post it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah the entire concept of the owners planning on flying in to lay down the mandate to tank and fire any and all not on board is rather absurd. Even more absurd is the idea that somehow this ridiculous plan was leaked to media types.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Would be surprised if Tippett and Maloney BOTH get canned, but change is welcomed after 3 years of pure mediocrity I suppose.

EDIT: oh, now this all makes sense. Turns out Tippett isn't the only one in his family that's a questionable supervisor

20f2uxg.jpg

Haha that's gold, where did you find that?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yeah the entire concept of the owners planning on flying in to lay down the mandate to tank and fire any and all not on board is rather absurd.

Not at all. That's usually how big changes in management go. Gosbee seemed to think Barroway would be a fairly involved owner.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I have no idea what is going to happen, but it is sure interesting to speculate all the different scenarios that could happen.

It truly would be 'great' to have either McDavid or Eichel. I'd prefer Eichel, but I'm a sucker for the bigger, right-handed centermen as I'm a big Getzlaf fan.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I've seen no links pertaining to McKenzie supporting the claims being made, just speculation by posters and a link to one article full of speculation itself and a link to another article that cited the first. By all means if you have something of substance please post it.

He was on NBC sports talking about it. I'm pretty sure I said that in the first post I made about it. So I guess I match your link and raise you watching the words come from his mouth on live television.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Dreger mentions it here at the 3:10 mark
http://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-eichel-tarasenko-and-the-coyotes-1.125364

McKenzie speculates that if GMDM looks to improve the current team, we could move Gormley or Stone for a forward.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Such a 'surplus' on defense when we're last in the league for GAA.

If we were to compete, we'd need to add a shutdown D

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If he'll take $5M or less, it'd be great to flip Vermette for assets and then re-sign him in the summer. I like McDavid-Vermette-Hanzal-Vitale down the middle. If McEichel is a no-go, we really need to invest in a younger, more offensive C like Brayden Schenn.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
He was on NBC sports talking about it. I'm pretty sure I said that in the first post I made about it. So I guess I match your link and raise you watching the words come from his mouth on live television.

Well if you happen to come across video of what you're talking about, please post it.

Dreger mentions it here at the 3:10 mark
http://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-eichel-tarasenko-and-the-coyotes-1.125364

McKenzie speculates that if GMDM looks to improve the current team, we could move Gormley or Stone for a forward.

Thanks for the link, that's the closest to an actual source I've seen so far. To be fair all he says is that new ownership will be visiting and wants DM to present a long term plan for the team so who knows how that will actually play out. They could come in an demand a youth movement, they could endorse a stop gap by trading young dmen (as suggested by McKenzie) or they may just want to make sure that DM actually has a long term plan and isn't just spinning his wheels.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/lots-of-uncertainty-ahead-for-coyotes-vermette/

Some quotes from Don Maloney:

Vermette’s quaint existence is in danger of being turned upside down in the months ahead.

Maloney told Sportsnet that he had some preliminary talks with agent Allan Walsh about an extension prior to the season, but isn’t in position to continue the conversation now. He is managing the NHL’s smallest payroll and is waiting to see how the sale of a majority stake in the team to Philadelphia hedge-fund manager Andrew Barroway might affect that.

I don’t anticipate a real dramatic change in direction here, but it does impact how we move going forward,” said Maloney. “Whether we have more (money) available for the hockey team, or less available, or what is our (budget)? It’s not only this year, but the next three to five years, what is our projection?”

While Maloney and coach Dave Tippett both believe the team is better than it has shown so far, they acknowledge that a turnaround has to arrive sooner than later. Rival teams are already monitoring their progress with keen interest.

The Coyotes are believed to have weighed the merits of dealing Vermette prior to last year’s trade deadline and could end up doing the same again this season.

“The last thing you want is to start gutting your team of your good players,” Maloney explained. “We’re trying to get to the playoffs. We need to be a playoff team to continue to grow our (fanbase). If you’re close (to making it), if you’re real tight up against it, then we’re not going to trade any of our good players. And then you hope to be able to resign them in the off-season.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Or the two teams before it. DM is right IMO, if you have a realistic shot at the playoffs then you take it. That said if the playoffs start looking like a long shot, you kick into asset management mode and start playing for the future. Hopefully the next 20-25 games will give us a definitive answer one way or the other. I'd like the team to either go on a ridiculous tear or just fall flat but I suspect it'll be somewhere in the middle. sigh....the dreaded middle!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Or the two teams before it.

Call me crazy, but sweeps and first round exits don't do much for the fans. Being respectable does. Playing entertaining hockey does. Yeah, Tippett could probably trap his way to the playoffs with a hot enough goalie and enough of his favorite bums. That shouldn't be the goal here.

The goal should be long-term, sustained success. That only comes from a core of homegrown talent. Look around the division.

This franchise should be savants of drafting and development. The market and economics call for it. This team should be the first one to jettison veteran burnouts overboard in favor of youth, energy, and potential. When you're at the bottom of the payroll scale, that needs to be your MO.

Instead, you get to watch Dave Moss take regular shifts because "he's a good guy" and "we need to make the playoffs". Shortsighted to say the least.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Making the playoffs that first year was great and much needed. I don't need to see us get destroyed in the first round again. Been there, done that. Either you have a legit contender or you need to be doing what it takes to build one.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Eh I don't know, it seems like typical blogosphere regurgitation to me. One person will write an article based on pure speculation then others will cite that article for their own article and still others will then write articles that reference those articles that referenced the original article which itself was all speculation. Just trying to explain it is a cluster ****! It's like ****** journalism meets Inception only with even less believability. The same story is likely being written for every team that has struggled out of the gate.

On a side note, watching the internet continue to devolve is pretty depressing.

Just like HF boards.:nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Call me crazy, but sweeps and first round exits don't do much for the fans. Being respectable does. Playing entertaining hockey does. Yeah, Tippett could probably trap his way to the playoffs with a hot enough goalie and enough of his favorite bums. That shouldn't be the goal here.

The goal should be long-term, sustained success. That only comes from a core of homegrown talent. Look around the division.

This franchise should be savants of drafting and development. The market and economics call for it. This team should be the first one to jettison veteran burnouts overboard in favor of youth, energy, and potential. When you're at the bottom of the payroll scale, that needs to be your MO.

Instead, you get to watch Dave Moss take regular shifts because "he's a good guy" and "we need to make the playoffs". Shortsighted to say the least.

Before new ownership, we were just happy to have a team and we understood that we would be a bubble team and accepted that. Now with new ownership, we want and are expecting a better result. The thing is, Rome wasn't built in a day. It all starts with drafting, and DM asked and received more dollars for scouting etc. I don't care who is running this team, I think we are in for a couple more lean years. It's just that DM and DT are trying to make this team as competitive as they can with what they have until the kids progress.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

I agree with the goal, but there are many ways to get there. Here's a little data to chew on, but let me preface it by saying I am very fond of the quote "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics" and if anything THESE statistics can be interpreted any way you wish.

The question is: better to build through homegrown talent or acquisitions?

This is from last season. Teams are listed based on how they finished the 13/14 regular season. Players listed are the top point scorers for each team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad