2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I keep looking at the teams and wondering who we can beat in our conference, and I just don't think we'll come close to a playoff spot.

St.Louis, Nashville, Chicago, Anaheim, LA, San Jose are all clearly better teams.
that is 6 for sure

Then you have Minnesota, Dallas, Vancouver and Colorado who I think are better than us...and couple that with Calgary who is surprisingly playing really well and it leaves the Edmonton Oilers as the only team we'll finish ahead of.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I keep looking at the teams and wondering who we can beat in our conference, and I just don't think we'll come close to a playoff spot.

St.Louis, Nashville, Chicago, Anaheim, LA, San Jose are all clearly better teams.
that is 6 for sure

Then you have Minnesota, Dallas, Vancouver and Colorado who I think are better than us...and couple that with Calgary who is surprisingly playing really well and it leaves the Edmonton Oilers as the only team we'll finish ahead of.

So, tied with Winnipeg for 12th then? :laugh:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Greg Dillard ‏@GregDillard 41m41 minutes ago
Martin Hanzal is now 1st in the NHL with a 65.5 faceoff % this season #Coyotes

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Greg Dillard ‏@GregDillard 41m41 minutes ago
Martin Hanzal is now 1st in the NHL with a 65.5 faceoff % this season #Coyotes

They flashed on the jumbotron last night he was 2nd with 64%. Is that a result of the wider hash marks + his height? Almost seems unfair. (They already changed the handpass off the dot in your own zone for him; he was a master at that).

KG

Sep 23, 2010
They flashed on the jumbotron last night he was 2nd with 64%. Is that a result of the wider hash marks + his height? Almost seems unfair. (They already changed the handpass off the dot in your own zone for him; he was a master at that).

It seems that way. The extra reach really helps him. He struggled the two years after they removed the hand pass.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
That's it? I mean yeah that's someone I'd love to have on the Coyotes but absolutely not someone worth tanking for, not even close.

I think thats more of a general playstyle comparison rather than what he will become. A lot of people also like to compare him to Getzlaf, but I don't really see it in his game, doesn't have the physical edge. I've seen Modano thrown around a bit as well.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That's it? I mean yeah that's someone I'd love to have on the Coyotes but absolutely not someone worth tanking for, not even close.

Jeff Carter... if he cared a lot more about the game and had even more tools. Eichel is a physical freak. We're talking about PPG players here. It's absolutely worth it.

You don't get to turn in imaginary kudos for coming up short of the playoffs. Every slot higher if you're not going to make it is worth a lot.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Jeff Carter... if he cared a lot more about the game and had even more tools. Eichel is a physical freak. We're talking about PPG players here. It's absolutely worth it.

You don't get to turn in imaginary kudos for coming up short of the playoffs. Every slot higher if you're not going to make it is worth a lot.

More importantly he seems to be the type of leader that can carry a team, and elevate the play of the rest of the team:

http://nesn.com/2014/11/bus-jack-eichel-named-national-rookie-of-the-month-for-october/

Definitely worth it, as a few others such as Barzal, Bittener, Strome, Marner, etc. Any one of those would be in the next echelon of forwards compared to any current talent in the organization.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

It's a type of style comparison. The top two this year are franchise players, unquestionably. Eichel is almost a 2 ppg player in the NCAA. It isn't like Jr. hockey. It's more difficult to score and you're generally going against older kids. Not to mention he's doing this as a freshman and he just turned 18.

They are in a different class compared to the last few overall picks.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Mostly a rehash of what has already been said. Best part is this comment at the bottom:

This article is way too premature - existing roster just needs to gel a bit more and play Tippett's system along with Smitty getting hot and it'll be the Sharks & Kings chasing the Coyotes for the division title

Do you even hockey?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I personally don't think Carter is a great comparison. Eichel is big and strong with a good shot. So they're similar in that way. I think Eichel has a lot more flash and dash, though. Plus, I think he'll end up a little nastier. A little more like Jeremy Roenick? Probably not quite that mean, though.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

As others have said, it's more of a style comparison, and Eichel himself says he tries to model his game after Carter. But from what I've seen of him (and admittedly I've seen a lot more tape of McDavid than Eichel lol), Eichel can play far more of a power game than Carter. I like the Modano comparison - another one is Eric Staal. Roenick and Messier are okay too, although I don't think Eichel will be that ornery.

Lots of gems to be had in this draft, but hoo boy, McEichel are unquestionably at the top.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
They briefly spoke of the Coyotes on NBC. I think there's definitely something to the rumors of the new owner coming in and rebuilding the team to be more than just a team that tries to get by.

That would likely mean DT is out and GMDM will have a choice to embrace it or leave. All speculation of course.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They briefly spoke of the Coyotes on NBC. I think there's definitely something to the rumors of the new owner coming in and rebuilding the team to be more than just a team that tries to get by.

That would likely mean DT is out and GMDM will have a choice to embrace it or leave. All speculation of course.

Play above .500 in the next few weeks and all that will go away... until it's too late.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I'm glad you added ''speculation'' in your sentence. We wouldn't want the rumor mills to start, would we.;)

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

It's definitely interesting to see the Coyotes/McEichel story flowing from so many different sources. It gives it a lot more credence.

If Barroway gives GMDM the opportunity to embrace McEichel, what's stopping that same opportunity from being extended to Tipp?

But, if Tipp is to go, I'd still like to see a few more options than just Ulf. That's not a shot at Ulf -- more so, due diligence.
Who else is available? Bylsma? Wilson? Babcock in the summer (doubt it)? Torts (Tipp 2.0)? Brent Sutter? John Stevens? Dale Hunter?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm more than a little disappointed that the hockey world has embraced a name mash-up for these two and decided on "McEichel" rather than "CoJack". The latter is way better.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Would be surprised if Tippett and Maloney BOTH get canned, but change is welcomed after 3 years of pure mediocrity I suppose.

EDIT: oh, now this all makes sense. Turns out Tippett isn't the only one in his family that's a questionable supervisor

20f2uxg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad