2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I was wishing for a youth movement...guess I should have been sure to wish for them to get ON the roster.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well look at all the interesting things that happen when you sleep through the day...

I'm not surprised by this at all. Was way more concerned about Gormley not making the team than Domi.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Do we have any news on Hanzal's injury? Sure as hell didn't look good.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well look at all the interesting things that happen when you sleep through the day...

I'm not surprised by this at all. Was way more concerned about Gormley not making the team than Domi.

The Domi decision by itself didn't bother me much. I would have given him his 9 games as an extended look, but I figured he'd be back down.

more upset by saying all the right things regarding youth, speed, and skill, and then demoting all three of our top preseason scorers in favour of the likes of Chip, Moss, Klink, and Crombeen. I expected atleast one guy, maybe two to be bounced by Hodgman and one of Lessio/Rieder. Instead, we got the same ol' guys and then act surprised that they aren't performing.

Gormley looked better than Summers and Smaby for sure. Clearly management is seeing something I didn't. What do these guys have to do to get a chance? What's the point in holding camp if we're not making any decisions based on that?

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Arizona Coyotes 2014-2015 Season Preview:

166gozd.jpg

2hcky2b.jpg

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
more upset by saying all the right things regarding youth, speed, and skill,

Once Maloney resigned Moss I basically came to the conclusion that he was full of crap and never to trust anything he says publicly. You can't say your biggest problem the prior season was:

Don Maloney said:
we got a little complacent with people being here too long

And then re-sign him.

Moss's relative merits on a one year deal @800k are irrelevant when you take the logical position Maloney supposedly did. It's undermining your own message to the room at the absolute minimum.

Further proof of not being able to trust public statements by management was the camp performances you mentioned. The only reason Murphy is even on the team was because just how bad Morris was the last 3 months. Otherwise we'd probably be in the same situation there.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
Bunch of good points

I think the majority of the "older" (I say that in quotes to protect myself from punching the monitor as I'm older than the guys you mention) have not been the main problem through these four games, though I'd like to see at least one of of the guys you mention crack the roster for a few games at a time.

To me, consistency from the guys we should count on hasn't been there. Take our four games: Smith has been abysmal, OEL has noticeably bad, Michalek has been mistake prone, Vermette looks more offensively confused than last year (and I still love him).

In my opinion, the only "top" guys who have excelled have been Marty, Doan, and Boeds.

I agree Gormley was better than Summers, and Summers has been mediocre to start. If I wanted to change something right away, that'd be it. I don't really know if I believe in the discontent rumors, but that could help. In terms of Tuesday, Schmelko looked fairly solid to me, so I hope he's in over Summers.

Overall, I'm far less down on DT and DM than the majority here, but I'll admit that this is probably "the year" for me (extending through the draft).

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I guess what I'm truly hoping for deep down, is that Garrioch is just a hack, and his source is wrong, but it makes too much sense that Gormley's pissed off at management.

After they called out Gormley publicly despite him playing much better than all of Murphy, Summers, Schlemko, and MATT ****ING SMABY, I'm not surprised the situation has turned toxic.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
rt
Incorrect. The third pairing is IDEAL for Gormley to break into the NHL. It means he gets gets favorable match ups 5v5 during home games, sheltered zone starts on the road, and low enough 5v5 mins that he can get plenty of audition time on both the PP and PK. The third pair is EXACTLY where you want to break in young D.
In Gormley's case I disagree. He needs to be paired with a veteran, but he is ready to play top 4. On the bottom pairing he would be more of the same and a (Coyote's) Coach Tippet team needs versatility more.
AndrewYotes
OEL has more upside than Gormley. I'd rather move Gorm
It's always about the return than who is better

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the majority of the "older" (I say that in quotes to protect myself from punching the monitor as I'm older than the guys you mention) have not been the main problem through these four games, though I'd like to see at least one of of the guys you mention crack the roster for a few games at a time.

To me, consistency from the guys we should count on hasn't been there. Take our four games: Smith has been abysmal, OEL has noticeably bad, Michalek has been mistake prone, Vermette looks more offensively confused than last year (and I still love him).

In my opinion, the only "top" guys who have excelled have been Marty, Doan, and Boeds.

I agree Gormley was better than Summers, and Summers has been mediocre to start. If I wanted to change something right away, that'd be it. I don't really know if I believe in the discontent rumors, but that could help. In terms of Tuesday, Schmelko looked fairly solid to me, so I hope he's in over Summers.

Overall, I'm far less down on DT and DM than the majority here, but I'll admit that this is probably "the year" for me (extending through the draft).

I didn't see Saturday's game, but I agree with what your said. The so called stars on this team have to play much better.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Who has been tracking stats on our D? I know someone has been posting zone exits during the game in the GDT...maybe they can chime in and give some stats about which D should go.

I thought Summer was doing good..or was it Stone?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Who has been tracking stats on our D? I know someone has been posting zone exits during the game in the GDT...maybe they can chime in and give some stats about which D should go.

I thought Summer was doing good..or was it Stone?

Pi was, but it's too early to come to any conclusions from that data as of yet I imagine.

Stone was doing well in those numbers. But his heart attack inducing play in his own end where Keith freaking Yandle is actually covering for him on occasion more than makes up the difference.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Pi was, but it's too early to come to any conclusions from that data as of yet I imagine.

Stone was doing well in those numbers. But his heart attack inducing play in his own end where Keith freaking Yandle is actually covering for him on occasion more than makes up the difference.

Keith Yandle hasn't really been much for defense lately either. Better than last year but I think if I remember right he still gets caught up in bad defensive plays and showed that the last four games.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Looked groinish to me at the game. Did anyone say it was a knee? That'd make me much concerned.

So far, Morgan says it's short-term and we'll know tomorrow at/after practice.

It'll be interesting to see if they make a call-up tomorrow or if they just shift Chipchura to C and dress Crombeen.

Doan - Vermette - Boedker
Korpi - Gagner - Erat
McM - Vitale - Crombeen
Klink - Chip - Moss

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Keith Yandle hasn't really been much for defense lately either. Better than last year but I think if I remember right he still gets caught up in bad defensive plays and showed that the last four games.

I agree, but Stone is really not a great partner for Yandle at this time since both can be a bit of a trainwreck out there. The Jets especially abused Stone.

I would try:
Yandle - Michalek
OEL - Murphy
Gormley(ha) - Stone.
Summers

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
So far, Morgan says it's short-term and we'll know tomorrow at/after practice.

It'll be interesting to see if they make a call-up tomorrow or if they just shift Chipchura to C and dress Crombeen.

Doan - Vermette - Boedker
Korpi - Gagner - Erat
McM - Vitale - Crombeen
Klink - Chip - Moss

That's....that's just so bad.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I agree, but Stone is really not a great partner for Yandle at this time since both can be a bit of a trainwreck out there. The Jets especially abused Stone.

I would try:
Yandle - Michalek
OEL - Murphy
Gormley(ha) - Stone.
Summers

Yeah, Yandle and Stone shouldn't be paired. I like your pairing better because its a descent mix of NHL experience and Yandle and Stone are separated.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We are 2-2 after 4 games. Looking at the schedule before hand, this is what I would have expected. If you guys expected any better after 4 games, your expectations were a lot higher than mine. Stay off ledges.

If Gormley wants out, so what, he has zero leverage. If we can make a good trade, we should trade him because it makes sense, not because he is complaining. We don't know that he wants out or is complaining. I am not against trading him because I suspect he will be a bottom pairing D with 3-4 upside. We should trade him if some team thinks he can still be a top pairing D. If he was that good, next OEL, or could be that good, how did he not beat out one of our world beaters, Schlemko/Summers/Murphy? He is not 18 or 19, he is 22, so his development is slow, if you think he is going to be a stud number 1 D.

I for one am glad that DM (he is not MacT) does not force Tip (he is not Eakins) to play young guys, it never works. Hopefully the new owner has some money to spend, because that is what we really need, more established players, not rookies.

The best thing any manager can do is realize when they have made a mistake and correct it. Ribs was a mistake but we got rid of him quickly rather then trying to defend the signing to ownership. Same thing with Lombardi and Sullivan.

DM and Tip are highly regarded and would be out of a job for 24 hours or less if they get fired. Dm has had a limited budget and mostly makes prudent decisions. He has not been fleeced on a trade. If you guys think we should fire DM, fire Tip, and play all the young guys, we will be the Oilers, and maybe go 5+ years before we sniff the playoffs again. Remember, we missed by 2 points last year, we were close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad