2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Oiler fan coming in peace. You have a gem in Gags, I really think Tippet can help his game and elevate it to another level. He won't become a defensive dynamo anytime soon, but within a year or two in ARZ I see him becoming a 60 point player with decent 2-way play. I hope they decide to keep him at centre and help him on face-offs. IMO he is just as good as RW, but centre looks much more natural when you compare the way he plays in both positions. Take care of Sammy, he will annoy the hell out of you, but will soon be a fan favourite.

Karlkarotte

Jul 24, 2013
I'm not sure Samuelson is ready. I would love a lineup with both Domi and Lessio in there. I don't think it's going to happen though :/

Even tweaking your lineup without Samuelson would leave us with :

Lessio / Gagner / Doan
Boedker / Vermette / Korpi
Domi / Hanzal / Erat
Chip / Vitale / Moss

I'd prefer McMillan to Moss, but I don't think that will ever happen. Klinkhammer would be intriguing if he could find some consistency. Crombeen is a fourth liner, but he can play a regular shift without hurting you. He's David Moss with intensity. Again, not sure why we thought we needed Moss back. Hopefully he's just Tipp's security blanket.

switch lessio and boedker and then change lines 2 and 3. :laugh:

but there is the even more likely lineup for games 10-82 and it looks like this:

Boedker - Vermette - Doan
Korp - Hanzal - Moss/Erat
Klink - Gagner - Erat/Moss
Chip/McMill - Vitale - Swarz/Crombeen

:help: Hopefully i`m totally off

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Odd that we are willing to PTO Kassian and Barch and not Bissonnette. He's clearly superior to both.

Looks like getting rid of complacent veterans applied only to DMo and a guy who barely got 5 mins of icetime/game despite playing decently. :shakehead

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
switch lessio and boedker and then change lines 2 and 3. :laugh:

but there is the even more likely lineup for games 10-82 and it looks like this:

Boedker - Vermette - Doan
Korp - Hanzal - Moss/Erat
Klink - Gagner - Erat/Moss
Chip/McMill - Vitale - Swarz/Crombeen

:help: Hopefully i`m totally off

Tippett's line-up:

Boedker-Vermette-Doan
Korpikoski-Hanzal-Erat
Klinkhammer-Gagner-Moss
Chipchura-Vitale-Crombeen

rt's line-up:

Korpi-Vermette-Boeds
Lessio-Gagner-Doan
Domi-Hanzal-Erat
McMillan-Vitale-Szwarz

It's better to be a young team picking 12th overall than an old team picking 12th overall.

rt

May 13, 2004
Looks like getting rid of complacent veterans applied only to DMo and a guy who barely got 5 mins of icetime/game despite playing decently. :shakehead

Yeah. Can't even really lump Vrbata in with that, either, because we offered him a contract. He just got a better deal elsewhere.

So what they really meant about a culture change was letting go of Morris and Ribeiro. Other the that? Last year's team was perfectly acceptable, apparently. No other problems. It was all Ribs and Mo's fault. Haha. Ugh.

If DM and Tip want to hang their hats on that theory, I'm cool with it. As long as they are actually held accountable for it.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Yeah. Can't even really lump Vrbata in with that, either, because we offered him a contract. He just got a better deal elsewhere.

So what they really meant about a culture change was letting go of Morris and Ribeiro. Other the that? Last year's team was perfectly acceptable, apparently. No other problems. It was all Ribs and Mo's fault. Haha. Ugh.

If DM and Tip want to hang their hats on that theory, I'm cool with it. As long as they are actually held accountable for it.

I don't believe they would have offered a contract if Vrbata had some offers on the table that he was considering. I think it boiled down to "hey if he will play for us for 2 mil a year why not". GMDM wasn't willing to sweeten the deal after hearing Vancouver's offer and it seemed like Vrbata was hoping to stay.

As long as some of the kids get to play this year I believe they would have stuck with their word. It's also so easy to only see the youth movement happening with the forwards, but don't forget on the blueline there could be three players playing their first full NHL season. So right now it looks like Domi and Gormely are pretty much locks, with 2-3 of Lessio, Reider, Samuelson, Gaudet, Murphy and Summers making the team. So potentially 4 rookies on the team. Not bad. At worst it looks like 3 for sure with one forward and two defensemen.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What was Morris' deal last year? I remember him to bleed Coyote bricks and now he's a troublemaker? I always thought positively about him. Feel free to PM me if you like if you don't want to post the info.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Oiler fan coming in peace. You have a gem in Gags, I really think Tippet can help his game and elevate it to another level. He won't become a defensive dynamo anytime soon, but within a year or two in ARZ I see him becoming a 60 point player with decent 2-way play. I hope they decide to keep him at centre and help him on face-offs. IMO he is just as good as RW, but centre looks much more natural when you compare the way he plays in both positions. Take care of Sammy, he will annoy the hell out of you, but will soon be a fan favourite.

Thank you. Any chance Edmonton would consider trading a top young forward for a top young defenseman?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
At this point I don't want the team trading for a top 6 forward unless one of our top 9 forwards is going the other way, which pretty much means it would have to be Korpi as I don't see any of our centers going, or Doan/Boeds/Erat. If we get a top 6, without sending back another forward, there isn't room for two kids.

I'd like to see Korpi going to the Blues for Berglund. With the Biz news it sounds more and more like the Blues are going to make a move.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
At this point I don't want the team trading for a top 6 forward unless one of our top 9 forwards is going the other way, which pretty much means it would have to be Korpi as I don't see any of our centers going, or Doan/Boeds/Erat. If we get a top 6, without sending back another forward, there isn't room for two kids.

I'd like to see Korpi going to the Blues for Berglund. With the Biz news it sounds more and more like the Blues are going to make a move.

We need far more talent than Domi and Lessio to have a good scoring team. One of the pitfalls of talent assessment is that one overvalues their own players. The only glaring exception to this is the Diamondabacks under that fool Kevin Towers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We need far more talent than Domi and Lessio to have a good scoring team. One of the pitfalls of talent assessment is that one overvalues their own players. The only glaring exception to this is the Diamondabacks under that fool Kevin Towers.

The bigger fool is the one who hired him.:)

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy, and no GM gets everything he wants out of summer.

I remember 5 guys being lightning rods for criticism last spring -- Ribeiro (AWOL), Morris (AWOL), Vrbata (MIA, missing in action some games), Moss (sleepwalking) and Klinkhammer (sleepwalking).
- 1 was bought out
- 3 expiring contracts, 2 were let go, the 3rd came back for essentially the veteran minimum
- 1 was and is still under contract for essentially the minimum
- Biz, for all his good points, remains a replacement-level player. Guys as good as him are all over the waiver wire.

Though we seem to have settled on roughly 1.5, none of us yet know how many of Domi, Samuelsson, Lessio, Gaudet, Rieder and Perlini will make the team this year. We'll be able to revisit that discussion in late October. If Klink and Chip start the year in the press box / Portland, you're talking about 6 or 7 new players ... that's 1/3 of the team.
One of the pitfalls of talent assessment is that one overvalues their own players.
... and one of the toughest part of GM'ing is patience. I can send you audio of Jim Nill (DAL) and Ken Holland (DET) saying that verbaitim during interviews. Maloney said this last season ... something like, "I've made calls all over the league, and I could get scoring wingers for this team today if I was willing to part with Max Domi."

There are always “changes” available, but if you’re not getting value, you’re not helping your team. There are extreme cases with cancerous veteran players who just need to go, but going full Pejorative Slur and flipping Korpikoski, Stone and Erat for 3 worse players isn’t improving the team.

How many more changes did you want this summer? Would 1 more make you happy? Were we 3 changes short?

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
This was not a particularly good summer to add productive veterans without having to overpay, IMO. The timing may be right to see what we have on the farm.

I will just say this, we are going into the season with the weakest group of forwards in the West. But if we continue to draft like this past year, we will have a solid minor system in about another 2 years.

Until we are putting 17,000 fans paying average NHL prices in the seats, we are never going to be a team that has a payroll near the cap. We can probably afford to hold on to tier 1 players we develop, but we are not going to land premier players that are going to start getting $8M plus after this year.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Doesn't that logic work the other way just as easily? There's every chance that if the cap strapped teams don't make a move early that a few youngsters will show well or that leftover UFAs will drop their contracts to minimum levels and trade offers that were on the table in July and August are pulled because coaching staffs want to see chemistry during camp. Young prospects notoriously do well at camp, but can't always play a full 82 game season at the same high level.

Don't cap strapped teams run the risk by waiting of having trade offers taken off the table because rookies exceed expectations or UFA veterans drop their contract demands to make it more affordable than giving up assets plus paying players?

Yeah, maybe; but they will have to get those teams to bite, before they have a good idea on what their minors and juniors players can do in the camp. I think a lot of budget teams (those that tend to have cap room) are not willing to add salary that they might end up not needing.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
This was not a particularly good summer to add productive veterans without having to overpay, IMO. The timing may be right to see what we have on the farm.

I will just say this, we are going into the season with the weakest group of forwards in the West. But if we continue to draft like this past year, we will have a solid minor system in about another 2 years.

Until we are putting 17,000 fans paying average NHL prices in the seats, we are never going to be a team that has a payroll near the cap. We can probably afford to hold on to tier 1 players we develop, but we are not going to land premier players that are going to start getting $8M plus after this year.

And or unless we get lots of high paying non-hockey revenue as well.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Clearly the way to guarantee maximum home attendance is to have a One Direction show at each home game intermission :sarcasm:

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Odd that we are willing to PTO Kassian and Barch and not Bissonnette. He's clearly superior to both.

I agree. There must have been something wrong. It also seemed like Bissonnette was well-liked by teammates and front office.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree. There must have been something wrong. It also seemed like Bissonnette was well-liked by teammates and front office.

I think they are deathly afraid of a bad tweet. Social media is scary these days. One bad moment and it's a huge PR disaster.

rt

May 13, 2004
Perhaps they just wanted players who actually seem angered by losing hockey. Last year was very nonchalant, and Biz might've been a little too upbeat for certain tastes with how rough the year went.

I'm just grasping at straws here, though. And at the end of the day, it's just the goon spot. Haha.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I always figured that Biz was let go because they wanted a more business-like approach to the game in the room this coming year. But that just makes the retention of Moss and Klinkhammer all the more frustrating.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Perhaps they just wanted players who actually seem angered by losing hockey. Last year was very nonchalant, and Biz might've been a little too upbeat for certain tastes with how rough the year went.

I'm just grasping at straws here, though. And at the end of the day, it's just the goon spot. Haha.

Made me think of this..if only I could put Biz's head on who ever is playing Jeremy Giambi

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It may be something Bis tweeted. Seriously. I recall listening to GMDM discuss over the air a couple of years ago that he had to drag Bis into his office twice over tweets. He said that he told Bis that the next time he has to see Bis in his office over a tweet he will give him his walking papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad