2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I must be getting bored with the summer. Suddenly the Eberle for Yandle proposals I've said no thanks to a hundred times are appealing. Sadly, I think it's just because Yandle has hit the magical age of 28 and has just two years on his contract. Eberle, on the other hand, is 24 and and has five years left. It's ridiculous, I know, but suddenly that last birth day of Yandle's magically evened this deal out in my mind.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Playing through it was dumb. And every year that passes, the body requires more effort to maintain that level of performance. Him being minded of his hockey mortality would hopefully make him more open to a trade should it ever come to that. I want to see the man have a shot at winning it.

I must be getting bored with the summer. Suddenly the Eberle for Yandle proposals I've said no thanks to a hundred times are appealing. Sadly, I think it's just because Yandle has hit the magical age of 28 and has just two years on his contract. Eberle, on the other hand, is 24 and and has five years left. It's ridiculous, I know, but suddenly that last birth day of Yandle's magically evened this deal out in my mind.

I have some attitude concerns with Eberle. Is he part of the losing environment in Edmonton? Could that be shaken from him here? Cursory evidence says yes, he is, and that there's no way of knowing how he'd fit in under Tippett.

I am all for churning the roster a bit and getting more talent that's under 25.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have some attitude concerns with Eberle. Is he part of the losing environment in Edmonton? Could that be shaken from him here? Cursory evidence says yes, he is, and that there's no way of knowing how he'd fit in under Tippett.

I am all for churning the roster a bit and getting more talent that's under 25.

That and having Domi, Gagner, and Eberle all in the top nine is a little shrimpy.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I don't think the Eberle for Yandle value is too far off. But I don't want Yandle in Edmonton. That could burn us. Six times a season. Just sounds terrible. There are also plenty of other players like Eberle. Way less players like Yandle in this league.

I really see Yandle being dealt around the deadline if the season is not looking promising. And at that point it will be for a gross over payment. Talking an A-A+ prospect and a late first.

Man that Johansen/RoR/Yandle three way is what gets me going.

Boeds-Johansen-Doan
Domi-Vermette-Ganger
Korpi-Hanzal-Erat

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I really see Yandle being dealt around the deadline if the season is not looking promising. And at that point it will be for a gross over payment. Talking an A-A+ prospect and a late first.

If you look at the total value Regier got in the Vanek trade it's pretty outstanding/astounding. He is slow to action but he generally wins when he gets there. So I really want them to crack this roster open as soon as it's clear they're not competitive. Really, this is the last ride of the Doan lead Coyotes. Everyone older than Boedker not named Smith should be fair game. Hell, I'd even consider trading Smith if he puts in a great season and some team wants to overpay for him at the deadline.

Free up salary, sign guys, hope the young players pan out. Also wouldn't hurt if McDavid or Eichel ended up in a Coyote uniform.

If we're being totally honest, Yandle is the only guy Maloney would struggle to replace with dumpster dives. This team really has little talent at forward. They're not going to be signed here with the way the roster is setup, so you need to draft em or trade for them.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

With the addition of Gagner and it looking like Domi will make the team, I'm no longer interested in him. Though I doubt that either of them would be his line mate. I actually tend to like players 25-31 more than the younger guys too, contrary to many of my proposals haha.

That said, I'd want Justin Williams, but that's not about to happen. Think he'd look awesome lined up with Vermette and Boedker though. Also want Sharp, but again, not about to happen. But in my dreams...

Boedker - Vermette - Williams
Sharp - Hanzal - Erat
Doan - Gagner - Korpikoski
McMillan - Vitale - Chipchura

We could do well with that forward group.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
With the addition of Gagner and it looking like Domi will make the team, I'm no longer interested in him. Though I doubt that either of them would be his line mate. I actually tend to like players 25-31 more than the younger guys too, contrary to many of my proposals haha.

That said, I'd want Justin Williams, but that's not about to happen. Think he'd look awesome lined up with Vermette and Boedker though. Also want Sharp, but again, not about to happen. But in my dreams...

Boedker - Vermette - Williams
Sharp - Hanzal - Erat
Doan - Gagner - Korpikoski
McMillan - Vitale - Chipchura

We could do well with that forward group.

You want guys in their prime and proven, which is what we all want. Trouble is, everyone else wants the same thing, so when these players are available they are expensive. I love Williams, what a money player.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
I have no basis in fact to believe this, but something tells me GMDM is going to make a move before the regular reason to add another top 6 forward. I think the actual payroll is down around $54.7 with Rib's buyout. I wouldn't be surprised if looking at this team, ownership authorized another $3M, which could land a player in the $5.5M range if someone like Korpi was going back, or the $4M range if Chip or Klink was going back. I also don't see us keeping Schlemko's $1.1 contract. I'm not down on him, but we have other, younger players that need NHL time that make him redundant at best.

I think GMDM is playing the waiting game on some cap challenged teams, looking to bring someone in right before the season when teams really need to make a move. Maybe a three team deal where we ship a good defenseman out, a team gets bodies and cap relief, and we get back a higher end forward.

Dreams....

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I hope that Maloney plans on making a move because otherwise this is going to be a season that requires a great deal of patience.

Why are the teams up against and over the cap still waiting to shift their rosters? Are they waiting to see if anyone gets injured during preseason or something? Because otherwise it's kind of crappy to force players and their families to move to a new city right before they have to start the grind of the season.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
We could use some ObiDon Maloney magic

picture.php

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'll just hold off on making the popcorn for now as I'll wait to see if we have the kind of roster we want to see. Otherwise, things will be just as(if not more) interesting as the Moss resigning.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Why are the teams up against and over the cap still waiting to shift their rosters? Are they waiting to see if anyone gets injured during preseason or something? Because otherwise it's kind of crappy to force players and their families to move to a new city right before they have to start the grind of the season.

Waiting for the offers to go up. You have to figure they aren't going to go down before the end of camp. It would suck to know that you're on the block and may be going to a new team at the end of camp. Probably nicer to just get it over with, but I imagine that GM's are just waiting to see if someone steps up their offer just a bit once they see what they have or don't have at camp.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Waiting for the offers to go up. You have to figure they aren't going to go down before the end of camp. It would suck to know that you're on the block and may be going to a new team at the end of camp. Probably nicer to just get it over with, but I imagine that GM's are just waiting to see if someone steps up their offer just a bit once they see what they have or don't have at camp.

I think its all the other teams not trading because they know they will have to put someone on waivers. Why give up an asset if you can get something for free?

Or like you said..waiting for the price to go up enough to be comfortable with a trade.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yes, and no on waivers. If a team really wants "player X", do they want to take the chance that some team with a higher priority plucks him off waivers? But the offers probably aren't great because everyone knows they have to dump someone.
Hypothetical, Boston considers moving Marchand to clear cap. Offers aren't great. Everyone knows they are going to have to trim salary. Maybe they decide to wait til they offload Boychuk and/or Kelly first so that trading Marchand is a choice instead of need. They aren't that impressed with the offers for Boychuk and Kelly, so there is no harm in sitting on them til the last minute to see if maybe the market picks up.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I hope that Maloney plans on making a move because otherwise this is going to be a season that requires a great deal of patience.

I think it's more of waiting for other teams' needs to be manifasted during the camp and pre-season. Some of the rookies and/or NHL-returning players (mostly from Europe), would have a chance to prove themselves during that period. If they fail, then there would be some need for various teams to add a piece here or there, so there might be a decent market for players in a certain role.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Doesn't that logic work the other way just as easily? There's every chance that if the cap strapped teams don't make a move early that a few youngsters will show well or that leftover UFAs will drop their contracts to minimum levels and trade offers that were on the table in July and August are pulled because coaching staffs want to see chemistry during camp. Young prospects notoriously do well at camp, but can't always play a full 82 game season at the same high level.

Don't cap strapped teams run the risk by waiting of having trade offers taken off the table because rookies exceed expectations or UFA veterans drop their contract demands to make it more affordable than giving up assets plus paying players?

Feb 12, 2003
Plus, wasn't this the same discussion going around last year about the great surplus of defensemen that we had on the team.

Patience can pay off, but it's not a guarantee. You can also be a fool if you know something needs to get fixed and wait until it's a big issue.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I think its all the other teams not trading because they know they will have to put someone on waivers. Why give up an asset if you can get something for free?

Or like you said..waiting for the price to go up enough to be comfortable with a trade.

This thinking only benefits the Sabres, Panthers, Oilers, Flames, or Islanders. It may be worth an asset (depending on what that asset is) to get that player if you aren't one of the 1st teams in the waiver wire list. Boston doesn't have to put anyone on waivers. Hamilton is waiver exempt and may be recalled right away after the Bruins put Savard on LTIR. The Flyers will have to do something - almost $5mil, no one is waiver exempt on their projected NHL roster and a few NMCs limit their options. I still think Luke Schenn would be a good fit paired with Yandle.
Lecavalier @ 2/3 would still cost whoever $4mil for the season and the Flyers already paid the 1/3 in the signing bonus. He is not likely to be traded until later in the season.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Bissonnette to St. Louis on a try out. Talked to him this morning and that's where he's headed.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Encouraged by Tippett saying there are 5-6 spots open on the roster for kids to challenge for. Discouraged to hear there is not going to be an adjustment period or learning curve at the NHL level. To play they will have to flat out beat the guys in camp.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
Encouraged by Tippett saying there are 5-6 spots open on the roster for kids to challenge for. Discouraged to hear there is not going to be an adjustment period or learning curve at the NHL level. To play they will have to flat out beat the guys in camp.

So, reading the initial reports out of rookie camp I started getting excited about the prospect of the following line-up:

Domi / Gagner / Doan
Boedker / Vermette / Samuelsson
Lessio / Hanzal / Erat
Korpikoski / Vitale / Moss

Reserves: Crombeen, Chipchura

I think it would be great to run 4 lines that can score and protect a rookie on the 1st 3 lines surrounded by veterans. The first line my not have a defensively responsible forward that it needs. I realize the 3 rookies may not be ready to make the jump, but that line-up if the rookies are ready, is intriguing and has more skill than a line-up with McMillan (who I like), and Klinkhammer (not a big fan of size who doesn't use it), as well as Crombeen and Chipchura as regulars.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not sure Samuelson is ready. I would love a lineup with both Domi and Lessio in there. I don't think it's going to happen though :/

Even tweaking your lineup without Samuelson would leave us with :

Lessio / Gagner / Doan
Boedker / Vermette / Korpi
Domi / Hanzal / Erat
Chip / Vitale / Moss

I'd prefer McMillan to Moss, but I don't think that will ever happen. Klinkhammer would be intriguing if he could find some consistency. Crombeen is a fourth liner, but he can play a regular shift without hurting you. He's David Moss with intensity. Again, not sure why we thought we needed Moss back. Hopefully he's just Tipp's security blanket.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

And that is the way it should be.

regal23

Sep 15, 2014
Just some thoughts from camp today. Domi had another strong game overall, this time getting involved on the offense with 3 assists. Continued to show improvement on his overall defensive game and play away from the puck. Seems to be a lock to me.

Gaudet also impressed by doing the little things across 200ft of ice. Looked strong out there and read the play well. Should have a shot at being a bottom 6 but most likely starts in the A.

No one stood out on D in my opinion but lots of solid play. Overall I'm impressed by the level of play and compete level. Hopefully it continues against the Kings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad