2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I'm a little confused. I thought the consensus was not that none of the youngsters were ready, but that there were too many guys on 1-way contracts--that, in order to promote young players, the Coyotes would have to pay too many guys big-league money to play in Portland. That's not a coaching problem; that's on the GM. We can't solve that problem by trading away the few players whom, by the grace of god, have turned into valuable contributors.

In that case... it doesn't matter who deserves what, or who can fetch a good price in trade, does it?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I'm a little confused. I thought the consensus was not that none of the youngsters were ready, but that there were too many guys on 1-way contracts--that, in order to promote young players, the Coyotes would have to pay too many guys big-league money to play in Portland. That's not a coaching problem; that's on the GM. We can't solve that problem by trading away the few players whom, by the grace of god, have turned into valuable contributors.

Yup. Everyone around here has been hating on Tippett lately (rightfully so), but Maloney is just as guilty. Tippett doesn't put a gun to his head and force him to sign these garbage players. Maloney also seemingly refuses to make any significant changes to the team, despite the same problems we've had the last 2 years, continuing yet again this year, and 2 of the biggest leaders on the team saying we have too many passengers on the roster within the first 4 games of the season.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
Yup. Everyone around here has been hating on Tippett lately (rightfully so), but Maloney is just as guilty. Tippett doesn't put a gun to his head and force him to sign these garbage players. Maloney also seemingly refuses to make any significant changes to the team, despite the same problems we've had the last 2 years, continuing yet again this year, and 2 of the biggest leaders on the team saying we have too many passengers on the roster within the first 4 games of the season.

Well, except Moss :biglaugh:

KG

Sep 23, 2010

In that case... it doesn't matter who deserves what, or who can fetch a good price in trade, does it?

Nobody knows for sure if this is true. This narrative came from a couple emails that people extrapolated upon.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I definitely blame maloney too. Even if the moss signing was because tip wanted him back, he had the authority to say no. As I've said before, if maloney is still listening to tippett than he's just at fault.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

It's all about the money. I hate the Moss signing slightly less than I did at first, but some of the guys we have on our roster now, when we originally acquired them, it was either a gamble with a decent shot at an upside or I didn't dislike the signing/acquisition of them at all. Because, at the time I didn't realize what they'd eventually become.

And now we simply don't have the internal budget to bury any one-way contracts in the minors. All the roster cuts and moves reflect that.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
And now we simply don't have the internal budget to bury any one-way contracts in the minors. All the roster cuts and moves reflect that.

The owners will have to weigh the extent that is true (and they'll know however they handicapped him) against what has happened, obviously, to determine whether or not GMDM keeps his job.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Gormley wants out? Not surprised, nor do I blame him. He's not the first and he won't be the last. This is the result of incompetent coaching.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Somehow I think GMDM will get fleeced in any trade where he moves Gormley because he has not been given a chance to develop his NHL value and I still think he has a lot of upside.

I can't figure out what tip and Don are doing with these prospects. Turris for instance is as good as he said he was and much better then what Tip evaluated him to be. So maybe Tip's critics are right. And Don does not seem to know when to promote a prospect and demote a veteran. This organization appears to be in chaos. Maybe we are just in a funk and everyone will get it together but I am sceptical.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I can't figure out what tip and Don are doing with these prospects.

Don is Tippett's lapdog and will do whatever he says, even though it should be the other way around. Tippett loves his 30+yr old 4th line grinders and legitimately believes that makes a successful team. Young prospects don't exist to Dave Tippett.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I hope out of pure luck, something happens where Gormley isn't traded and get's called up soon.

Isn't it pathetic that as a fan, that this the most exciting situation I can imagine happening to this organization this season, yet there's no chance it will happen?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Turris for instance is as good as he said he was and much better then what Tip evaluated him to be.

I think the biggest thing for me is that Turris stepped right into the #2 center role with no real noticeable period of adjustment (beyond that of skating with a brand new team). He was also praised for his defensive play almost immediately. Meanwhile, the Maloney quotes say that he (and Tipp, I presume) saw him lower in the lineup than that.

"We thought he was a better fit lower in the lineup, and Kyle thought he was a top line center. At the end of the day, it just was not right for us"

Until I saw that quote, I had assumed we made a big hole for him at C to play as the 2C. Looking at the quote, it looks like he legitimately was going to play behind the likes of Belanger, Pouliot, and Patrick O'Sullivan that season. No wonder he wanted out. I don't like how Turris responded or his attitude about the situation, but I no longer blame him for wanting out.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
It does sound like we are running the thing from the bottom up. At one time I was happy with these two running the show but maybe a lot of it was luck up until a certain point. And anyone would look good coming in on the heels of the Gretzky group but now they are starting to look a lot different as bigger organizational decisions are having to be made and they appear to be blowing most of them. Eventually they will have to be accounted for.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't like how Turris responded or his attitude about the situation, but I no longer blame him for wanting out.

The problem is that all of these guys talk. Every player in Portland has probably heard by now that Gormley isn't happy, and that something is brewing. You can't just scratch a talented player and expect people to not ask questions.

It only takes the perception that the Coyotes are idiots when it comes to development to shade all future conversations. What happens when Domi runs into a rough patch with the coaches? It could be genuine but at that point, the voice in the back of his head will be telling him it's not.

If Gormley ends up being traded it will likely be for peanuts. At that point it will be clear that Tippett and Maloney are doing more harm than good by staying. My only hope is that ownership is tuned into this and not the accolades from years past.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
The problem is that all of these guys talk. Every player in Portland has probably heard by now that Gormley isn't happy, and that something is brewing. You can't just scratch a talented player and expect people to not ask questions.

It only takes the perception that the Coyotes are idiots when it comes to development to shade all future conversations. What happens when Domi runs into a rough patch with the coaches? It could be genuine but at that point, the voice in the back of his head will be telling him it's not.

If Gormley ends up being traded it will likely be for peanuts. At that point it will be clear that Tippett and Maloney are doing more harm than good by staying. My only hope is that ownership is tuned into this and not the accolades from years past.

It's absurd. They've dropped the ball virtually every single decision they could have made this offseason.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
I still don't get why Don said there would be some major changes in the off season and then nothing. I guess the Ribero buyout was what he must have meant. But surely he didn't see Ribero as the sole problem.

At any rate, we might as well bring Morris back to help out since mediocrity is acceptable. And I do not mean that as a slam against Morris but just saying his age has caught up with him and yet somehow, I doubt he would be any more of a liability then some of the players we are currently using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->