2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I normally advocate against trading established value for potential value, but that proposed Red Wing trade is pretty damn good. I mean, Mantha has 40 or even 50 goal potential, to me. He reminds me of Perry quite a bit. He scored a goal a game in the Q.

If you're going to reorganize around younger talent like OEL, the other D, Boedker etc... that's the way to do it. If you got 15 overall in the trade you could potentially flip that to Winnipeg with some assets for Kane, as an example. Or just use the money freed up to overpay Vanek.

What would be the 'wrong' move at this point would be a lateral trade involving Yandle for someone around his age and pay grade. That's not going to do the team any good, and Maloney should be chastised for it if it happens. The franchise is long past the Krejci for Yandle swap or anything of the sort.

I agree with you, and Mantha is a fantastic prospect (I would have taken him over Domi last year), but I think I would rather jump at 2 of Tater and Jurco with the 1st and another small asset. Both of them could be 20-30 goal guys to Mantha's 40. Depending on how you view each of these players, getting those two could be the better deal. I however would not be disappointed with Mantha, #15, and say Helm.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I agree with you, and Mantha is a fantastic prospect (I would have taken him over Domi last year), but I think I would rather jump at 2 of Tater and Jurco with the 1st and another small asset. Both of them could be 20-30 goal guys to Mantha's 40. Depending on how you view each of these players, getting those two could be the better deal. I however would not be disappointed with Mantha, #15, and say Helm.

Agreed. Admittedly I haven't followed Mantha's production much this past year but sometimes these giants worry me a little as they can control games because of their size in juniors and sometimes in the AHL. I wouldn't be disappointed, but I would rather take Tater and Jurco and the 1st. Both have 1st and 2nd line potential. Mantha would be interesting though.

Edit: Just looked him up again. 120 point in the Q is something else, with over 50 being goals. Still hasn't played in the big league at all though.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So he went from +16 to -24, that is a 40 point swing. Does he all of a sudden suck really bad on D? No, this is why that stat is so misleading. Maybe DMO and all the shuffling was part of the problem too. Yandle is an average defender, not horrible, but his puck moving skills negate his average D. I personally would like to see Verby signed, Domi make the squad and produce, Ribs rebound, and see us pick up another top 6 forward. I wonder what Yandles production would be like with talented forwards, 3 solid lines, it might be close to karrlson numbers. I would like to see it.

This......

Yandle is a high-risk, high-reward player. Thus he needs a bonafide shutdown partner, and some forwards who can cover his back when he pinches in or goes on the rush.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think I remember somewhere, someone theorized that Brayden Schenn might be available for some reason or another.

Not anymore - Flyers just resigned him to a multi-year deal.

I think that deal makes Schenn more marketable. Seems to be the feeling that Flyers are going to do a complete revamp. I doubt Hextall's big move is Umberger.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
All of this Schenn chatter inceptioned me. Dreamt we acquired Brayden, Luke and Laughton for Yandle, Korpikoski, and Kasperi Kapanen (12th overall). Bettman announced it in front of the hometown crowd and they were stunned. For some reason Holmgren made the Kapanen pick. Guess my subconscious forgot about Hextall.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
All of this Schenn chatter inceptioned me. Dreamt we acquired Brayden, Luke and Laughton for Yandle, Korpikoski, and Kasperi Kapanen (12th overall). Bettman announced it in front of the hometown crowd and they were stunned. For some reason Holmgren made the Kapanen pick. Guess my subconscious forgot about Hextall.

add in Philli's 17th OV and it's similar to what I was suggesting earlier.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Puck Daddy is saying it may be hard for Boston to keep Iginla.

Boeds-Ribs-Iginla
Domi-Vermette-Erat
Helm-Hanzal-Doan

OEL-Z
Gormely-Niskanen
Summers-Stone
Murphy

Pick up Iginla in F.A for 4mx3 years. Slightly cheaper than Vrbata, but I can imagine would really shine with Ribs and hopefully wants to play with Doan bad enough to come here. Trade Yandle for Helm, Mantha and their 2nd. Let Mantha marinate in the A for a year on a line with Samuelson. Pick up Niskanen in F.A to help Gormely adjust to the big minutes. If he is struggling move Stone back up to that second pairing.

Maybe package our 2nd and Detroit's 2nd for a late 1st.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This......

Yandle is a high-risk, high-reward player. Thus he needs a bonafide shutdown partner, and some forwards who can cover his back when he pinches in or goes on the rush.

But DMO has been somewhat of a whipping boy in the past as well. So I don't see how the theory holds that this year exposed Yandle b/c of DMO, but other years haven't. Plus, I think Connor Murphy, in his limited time, was actually a + player for us. IIRC, there were several post-game pressers where Murphy mentioned playing alongside Yandle.

Looking at Murphy's game lines, he had 15 games where he played over 18 minutes on ice per game. I would assume that these were the games that he would have been paired with Yandle predominantly, or an injury to another player forced him into far more time, which likely would have moved him alongside Yandle more. Most other games, he had between 8 and 15 minutes of ice time. In the 15 games where Murphy saw 18+ minutes: 1G, 7A, +2 for Murphy's stat lines. I get that Murphy was experiencing his first NHL action, but that seems counter-intuitive that we would need to get a true shut-down partner when Murphy, technically, out-played DMO and Murphy's trajectory is only going to go up from this point if he is to be that shut-down role player.

Stone was also paired with Yandle for a time, which could have been the issue. I view Stone as having the size of a SAH D, but he is more PMD than people realize, with a heavy shot. 2 players with questionable D on the same line affects the +/-. So the question begs to be asked whether or not the line-up shuffles really hurt Yandle that much? We obviously had a motley crew of players that saw ice time with Yandle, including DMO, Stone, Murphy, Summers, and Klesla, but I'd argue that the grouping of those 5 collectively this year was not that much worse than whom we have seen with Yandle in the past, as DMO has missed games and had his share of inconsistencies as well.

If we want to go the route that is bolded, then we have basically turned into the 2009-10 or 2011-12 version of the 'Yotes, where we spend money on a SAH D and maybe add another 1 or 2 defense-first players to our forward group. Much higher success rate in the W/L column, but each of those seasons saw 41 and 43 points from Yandle, respectively, not the projected 60 point seasons that people assume. I'd wager that for all of Yandle's talent, removing some risk and reward from the defense and supplementing that with reward at a forward position would help the team considerably, without that much of a drop-off on puck movement from the blue line. Plus, the money that would be required for the bonafide shutdown D-man and 1-2 forwards (maybe $2.0-4.0 million per year total for those additional players) would be better used to also gain a top 6/9 forward, assuming a trade of Yandle would basically be even salary for salary.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Puck Daddy is saying it may be hard for Boston to keep Iginla.

Boeds-Ribs-Iginla
Domi-Vermette-Erat
Helm-Hanzal-Doan

OEL-Z
Gormely-Niskanen
Summers-Stone
Murphy

Pick up Iginla in F.A for 4mx3 years. Slightly cheaper than Vrbata, but I can imagine would really shine with Ribs and hopefully wants to play with Doan bad enough to come here. Trade Yandle for Helm, Mantha and their 2nd. Let Mantha marinate in the A for a year on a line with Samuelson. Pick up Niskanen in F.A to help Gormely adjust to the big minutes. If he is struggling move Stone back up to that second pairing.

Maybe package our 2nd and Detroit's 2nd for a late 1st.

Red Wing Fan coming in peace Detroit does'nt have the 2nd this year we traded that to Nashville for David Legwand. But I'm pretty sure that we could work something out I would really love to see Yandle with the Wings.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
LeBlanc was on 98.7 this morning. The usual questions were asked, but LeBlanc did say that the team wasn't good enough to make the playoffs a reality the last two years, but Maloney recognizes that they were 2 points away last year, and 4 points the previous year. He did say that b/c of how close we were, Maloney was looking at some of those minor tweaks to adjust our team.

Originally, Maloney mentioned that we may need to take a look at what defines our core. Good chance that he was thinking about some deals and none ever came to fruition. The thing that strikes me as odd was the mention of the word "minor" tweaks, as potentially losing Vrbata doesn't sound like something minor. If we take that at face value, we are back to a very similar team by trying to re-sign Vrby, and adding some defensive grit on the bottom line.

LeBlanc also stated that it sounds like Domi would be given every opportunity, and should be a player that the team expects contributions from. This fell in line with a question about the #12 pick and this being a deep draft in the first round. LeBlanc then mentioned how the Yotes were at #12 last year when we took Domi, and then went into the story above.

FWIW, I think there is some posturing going on here. If we do not have Vrbata in our plans, that is more than a "minor" tweak. Say what you will about certain pieces that did and didn't work out, but if we are planning on dealing a player like Schlemko or Korpikoski, that varies slightly above "minor" tweaks, IMO.

Any thoughts from anyone else that might have listened to the interview?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Would you package the 12th pick and Detroit's (15th) to move up?

If that trade went through? Nah. As much as I'd love to get Ehlers/Nylander, I'd be more than happy to get two of Fabbri/Barbashev/Kapanen/Fiala and whomever else that should be available in the teens.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Red Wing Fan coming in peace Detroit does'nt have the 2nd this year we traded that to Nashville for David Legwand. But I'm pretty sure that we could work something out I would really love to see Yandle with the Wings.

Thanks for the clarification.

As a Detroit fan what would you propose for Yandle if that piece from the Free Press has any validity. Also, do you think that piece is pure speculation?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Thanks for the clarification.

As a Detroit fan what would you propose for Yandle if that piece from the Free Press has any validity. Also, do you think that piece is pure speculation?

Being truthfully honest here, Both Nyquist and Mantha are off the table. The deal that I would most likely could see happening would be Jurco plus one of either Abdelkader and or Helm plus the 15th overall And I see phoenix shooting down that offer in a heartbeat. This piece is coming from Helene St James who is a beat writer for the Detroit Free Press usually what she says I take with a grain of salt. I know in the past Detroit has had tons of Interest in Keith Yandle. I just dont see Ken Holland giving up the pieces that it would take to get Yandle. Ansar Khan who is a beat writer for Michigan Live now if he had said this I would say that it would have alot more validity.

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Being truthfully honest here, Both Nyquist and Mantha are off the table. The deal that I would most likely could see happening would be Jurco plus one of either Abdelkader and or Helm plus the 15th overall And I see phoenix shooting down that offer in a heartbeat. This piece is coming from Helene St James who is a beat writer for the Detroit Free Press usually what she says I take with a grain of salt. I know in the past Detroit has had tons of Interest in Keith Yandle. I just dont see Ken Holland giving up the pieces that it would take to get Yandle. Ansar Khan who is a beat writer for Michigan Live now if he had said this I would say that it would have alot more validity.

Yeah I can't see the Coyotes doing that. Thanks for the insight though.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Yandle, Klinkhammer, 43rd and 58th for Tatar, Jurco, 15th, and 76th?

Not too bad.

The only issue I see is that they strongly prefer a RHD, since all their system has seems to be LHDs. Other than that, it could be a good basis for a deal.

I wish we had taken offers by the Wings fans a few months ago:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1581005&highlight=

Wings have to add salary and I would like to keep both forwards. How about Nyquist, Frk, Quincey and a third for Laurie and Stone?

That would have been epic.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Is he a UFA or would we need to trade for him?

He has 3 years left. They would probably want someone for the their 2C as part of the deal so you'd be looking at Hanzal or Vermette plus whatever else they deem appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad