Speculation: 2014-2015 Captaincy

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Is this a serious post asking about my post being serious?

We don't know a ton about Mac in the room, but his energy on the ice is what I am looking for with him as the 2nd A.

Lando, for his ability to sometimes make the big hit or play, is a silent leader from what we have heard, working hard and doing things right off the ice. Tanguay is not exactly a talker or a showy player on the ice.

Mac provides a different kind of on-ice spark that I want in the leadership core.

I doubt Tanguay gets an A over Iggy or Duchene. Maybe over EJ but not the other two.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm just curious about this and hope someone can clarify something for me:

I am under the belief that a team only has 2 "A's" if they have a Captain. If they don't then they can have 3 "A's". So some teams do the whole "At home you have it and on the road this guy has it" routine but it still is always only 3 Captains total, 1 "C" and 2 "A" is that right?

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
McLeod rotated the A with EJ last year. One had it at home, the other one the road. I'm sure they'll do that again.

What in the....?

And lol at people thinking McLeod won't have an A next year. Unless he's traded I'd love to hear the logical reasoning behind how McLeod wouldn't possibly have his A next year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What in the....?

And lol at people thinking McLeod won't have an A next year. Unless he's traded I'd love to hear the logical reasoning behind how McLeod wouldn't possibly have his A next year.

Did you just stop reading to see if this was brought up already? I was incorrect.

For some reason I remember one guy having the A permanently and two others rotating it at home and on the road at some point since Foote retired, but I can't find anything to back that up now, so maybe I'm mistaken.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
I'm just curious about this and hope someone can clarify something for me:

I am under the belief that a team only has 2 "A's" if they have a Captain. If they don't then they can have 3 "A's". So some teams do the whole "At home you have it and on the road this guy has it" routine but it still is always only 3 Captains total, 1 "C" and 2 "A" is that right?

I believe this is correct. Teams can rotate who wears an A for a game, but can only have up to (but not necessarily) 3 letters per game, 1 C and 2 A's.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Did you just stop reading to see if this was brought up already? I was incorrect.

For some reason I remember one guy having the A permanently and two others rotating it at home and on the road at some point since Foote retired, but I can't find anything to back that up now, so maybe I'm mistaken.

According to this site, the only time EJ wore an A was during the 2011-12 season. I remember him, Hejduk, and Stastny all wore A's to start the season. After Hejduk was named captain, I think EJ may have rotated while Stastny had a permanent A.

member 116861

I think in 2011-2012, Hejduk had the "C", Stastny permanently had the "A" and the other "A" was rotated.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I wonder if ROR makes a big issue of captaincy in his negotiations with Avs.

He doesn't deserve it, but he's going to be butt hurt again on being passed up for an A.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think in 2011-2012, Hejduk had the "C", Stastny permanently had the "A" and the other "A" was rotated.

Yea, I'm thinking that might be what I was thinking of, but I couldn't find anything referencing it.

Now that I think about it though, I actually wouldn't be shocked to see them not give Jarome an A. I don't think he wore one for Boston last year. They had a much more veteran team, but Patty has talked a lot about guys not having to wear an A to be a leader. I think he almost likes the older guys not having one, because they've been there done that, and the team really belongs to the younger guys.

I think there's a decent chance they give one to Dutchy and lets Cody keep the other.

Last edited:

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Provided he is in the lineup, why in the world would McLeod be stripped of an A and where does this speculation come from?

Do you guys even hockey, bros

... because he is an abhorrent NHL player :)help:send him to Lake Erie). I give him 5 golden stars for effort, but he has never been skilled and in my opinion he is noticeably slowing down

Mr. Stack, you seem to agree that he may not even be in the lineup!!! Is it a common occurrence for 4th liners/scratches to wear letters on their jerseys? Obviously a rhetorical question, the answer is no. I am very thankful for his service and effort and contribution, but knowing your role in the team is just as important. He won't play a significant enough role in the team to warrant an A, and I don't think character is reason enough with other options available.

My Vote:
Lando
Duchene
EJ/Tanguay (if tanguay really did have it last year, I don't recall)

One must also think about how the responsibility of the A may augment the development and maturation of younger players.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not like he had it last season when healthy or anything, er, he totally did.

Unless Tanguay does not want it, I don't see Roy taking it away.

I may have not been remembering correctly on EJ, but I don't believe Tangs had an A at any point last year.

I think it was Staz and McLeod all year. They didn't even give it to anyone new when Mack missed his games with that ankle injury late in the season. I think they just went with one A.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
on one hand I think Iggy should get an A, but on the other I see the benefits of at least having one defensemen (EJ) have an A too.

All this is probably moot anyhow. Injuries will ravage one of the three no matter who we pick. Murphys Law.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I may have not been remembering correctly on EJ, but I don't believe Tangs had an A at any point last year.

I think it was Staz and McLeod all year. They didn't even give it to anyone new when Mack missed his games with that ankle injury late in the season. I think they just went with one A.

That's how I recall it as well.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

alex_tanguay_5_large.jpg

Tanguay and Stastny had the A's last year, McLeod picked it up after Tanguay went down. I don't think he wore it in his short return back to the lineup after the injury though.

I may be completely miss remembering, but I thought Tanguay, EJ, Stastny, and Mcleod were rotating the A between home and away games at the beginning of last year.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I wonder if ROR makes a big issue of captaincy in his negotiations with Avs.

He doesn't deserve it, but he's going to be butt hurt again on being passed up for an A.

What is this?

He wasn't "butt hurt" about not having an "A" last year...what an absolutely ludicrous statement

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00