Speculation: 2014-2015 Captaincy

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
McLeod rotated the A with EJ last year. One had it at home, the other one the road. I'm sure they'll do that again.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
IMO only one A is available. The other won't be available until McLeod leaves as a UFA. I hope they give it to EJ, truly in every for the leader of our defense.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think it'll be EJ, Duchene and McLeod.

O'Reilly keeps screwing up his chance of getting one by getting into these negotiation situations every time he looks like he might be in line for one. Perhaps McLeod is gone the year after this and a letter will be available.

Edit: Forgot we added Iginla. I guess Duchene is out. I think they must give Iginla a letter. He's a great leader and is highly respected around the league.

C Landeskog
A McLeod
A Iginla
A EJ/Duchene if they're comfortable rotating?

Last edited:

OldSchoolAvalanche*

At this point I don't think ROR is gonna be around long. No way I give him one

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I think the speculation McLeod gives it up is not unfounded. We just brought in two former NHL captains. Iginla also wore an A twice for Team Canada in the Olympics. I believe Briere wore an A for Philly as well as captaining Buffalo.

Granted, Iginla definitely doesn't need a letter to get everyone's respect, but I would expect him to wear an A. Obviously, I'm not in the lockerroom, but I didn't find McLeod's on-ice effort all that inspiring last year. I think it's time to change the guard, so to speak.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Iginla didn't have an A in Pittsburgh or Boston, but he's here three years and Avs have a younger team. There is a big respect factor with Sakic and Avs have a free A (or two). I think Avs will give it to him.

I liked Landeskog's greetings to Stastny and Stuart on twitter today. Perfect tone. Smart captain.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I prefer just keeping it simple. Give Stastny's 'A' to Iginla and leave the rest the same. No rotating.

If you give Duchene an 'A' and O'Reilly is sticking around, we'll just have to hear some more nonsense when people like Dater blog about it every other day. Lets not go down that road again.

Maybe EJ should get one but then there's three of them so two guys will be rotating. Don't really like that. If you're going with more than 2, might as well just go with 4 like they used to do back in the day. 2 at home and 2 on the road. If they want to do that they could go with:

C: Landeskog
A: Iginla
A: Johnson
A: McLeod
A: Tanguay/Talbot

Duchene and O'Reilly (if he's around) can both get a letter once McLeod and Tanguay/Talbot are gone.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
C - Lando
A - Tanguay
A - Mac

Avs won't be changing the captain mid stream, so Lando keeps the C. Tanguay wears an A as a leader in the room and a stabilizing force. Go off the wall for another young leader with Mac for the 2nd A.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
C - Lando
A - Tanguay
A - Mac

Avs won't be changing the captain mid stream, so Lando keeps the C. Tanguay wears an A as a leader in the room and a stabilizing force. Go off the wall for another young leader with Mac for the 2nd A.

Is this a serious post?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Is this a serious post?

Is this a serious post asking about my post being serious?

We don't know a ton about Mac in the room, but his energy on the ice is what I am looking for with him as the 2nd A.

Lando, for his ability to sometimes make the big hit or play, is a silent leader from what we have heard, working hard and doing things right off the ice. Tanguay is not exactly a talker or a showy player on the ice.

Mac provides a different kind of on-ice spark that I want in the leadership core.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
Landeskog - C
McLeod - A
EJ/Iginla rotate between home/away.

Duchene for injuries.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
This might sound ridiculous but everything has to be done to make EJ a lifer. Give him the A at least, he's a pillar back there. I'd be upset if he didn't receive one.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
They've all got a big A on their sweaters and should be happy with that.

I'm doubt Iginla needs some sigil to command respect or awe but he would be my guess as to who gets the A that is now vacant. If not him I would seriously consider ROR. Probably not a popular thought right now because of the contract stuff but when it comes to actual hockey...that guy is kinda awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00