2014-2015 Blues Prospects

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Maxim Letunov scored the lone goal for the Youngstown Phantoms in Saturday's 3-1 loss to Muskegon. The St. Louis Blues draft pick is tied for fourth in the USHL with seven goals and has not been held without a goal in consecutive games this season

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Barbashev went 2+4 tonight, making him (by my calculations, as of the current stats) the point-per-game leader in the QMJHL with 1.84 ppg.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Would it be wrong to say that 3/4 of our prospects look pretty darn good?

The only thing that gives me pause with Barbashev is looking at Rattie's stats after he was drafted (he was also slated to go 1st round and fell to the 2nd), and now there are questions on whether he will be an NHL'er. However, they play completely different styles, as Barbashev is physical and plays more of an "Oshie" style of game, whereas Rattie is purely offense, not much physicality, and his defensive game is still lacking quite a bit. Will be interesting to see how Barbashev does next year - I'm pretty sure he will be AHL-eligible next year as well, so that should give us a good indication of where he is at.

I also like that he is a right-handed shot...the STL line is all left-handers, Fabbri is left, and I think Backes and Oshie are the only right-handers in our top 9? Would like to see another right-hander in there, haha. Edit: never mind, he's a left-handed shot...dang.

If Barbashev pans out, potential lines in 2 seasons:
Schwartz-Lehtera (we better lock him up)-Tarasenko
Fabbri - Stastny - Oshie
Steen - Backes - Barbashev

These lines/roster are never how we predict though, ha...2 years ago we predicted Rattie in our top 9, for instance.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Rattie went right around where he was expected to, late first/early second. Saad was the big faller of that draft. As you note though, point totals in juniors are largely meaningless. You can get guys with big numbers not getting drafted and others who are under PPG going in the third. As players get past their draft year, junior points just become more meaningless, you have to watch them to make any judgement.

Would it be wrong to say that 3/4 of our prospects look pretty darn good?

That is a fair assessment. Binnington and Husso are both young and are having impressive starts to their pro seasons. I think Schmaltz is the best prospect in our system, I've no seen enough of Parayko to judge, but he is getting some rave reviews. Fabbri has top line potential.

I think Jaškin and Barbashev are both safe bets to be productive NHL players, just to be seen whether it is as third liners or second liners.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I switched this post (quote) here in proper thread.

I think Multimoodia knew about him first, but, I mean, who doesn't think this kid has a future?

I like to ask you guys do we have real 4th line grinder/tought guy then Beach? I know nowdays those grinders have to give more then dropping they glows and maybe they are quite easy to replace, but still after Reaves getting 'older' do we have in couple years on our own prospect real deal tough guy? (Beach, but another one)

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

I like to ask you guys do we have real 4th line grinder/tought guy then Beach? I know nowdays those grinders have to give more then dropping they glows and maybe they are quite easy to replace, but still after Reaves getting 'older' do we have in couple years on our own prospect real deal tough guy? (Beach, but another one)

Yakimowicz is a tough guy who can actually play alright. 2014 draft pick.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Seeing players fight with helmets and shields is absurd. I hope they abolish it completely or let people fight.

Beach is tall enough to be a legit fighter, but he would have to be considered a light heavyweight. Jacob Doty is big enough and tough enough. The question is- can he play the game well enough to play a regular shift.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah those are a couple enforcer types we have in our system.

I think a 4th-liner to keep an eye on is Yannick Veilleux. He's not an enforcer or fighter really but he's a very gritty player. He's big and real strong too. I believe he's one of the ones that benched 300 pounds at Blues camp along with Reaves, Tarasenko, Cole if my memory serves me correctly. I think he definitely could have an NHL future.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Yeah those are a couple enforcer types we have in our system.

I think a 4th-liner to keep an eye on is Yannick Veilleux. He's not an enforcer or fighter really but he's a very gritty player. He's big and real strong too. I believe he's one of the ones that benched 300 pounds at Blues camp along with Reaves, Tarasenko, Cole if my memory serves me correctly. I think he definitely could have an NHL future.

I was a little disappointed he didn't manage to stick with the Wolves last season, but he has certainly made improvements this season. Will hopefully be a nice depth player for us.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Beach is tall enough to be a legit fighter, but he would have to be considered a light heavyweight. Jacob Doty is big enough and tough enough. The question is- can he play the game well enough to play a regular shift.

Beach needs to really start hitting the weights. He's been able to get by thus far without it, but to move forward he's going to need to get serious about it.

Doty is a plug. There's just not enough there for him to be successful in the modern NHL.

sparty09

Apr 6, 2012
The Wolves won 7-4 tonight. Rattie had a hat trick, Jaskin had a goal and an assist, and Veilleux had a goal. Binnington gave up 4 goals, though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
His offensive numbers are going up, but what the defensive play? It's purely an offensive player or more all around ?

He's all-around. He's plays on the shutdown pair for North Dakota. Reminds me of Keith, maybe more pre-Norris version, but we'll have to see how he develops once he hits the pros.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Barbashev had a goal and fight last night (following this big hit):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGBeVxJNymc

Still leads the QMJHL in points per game with 1.8. He could be a good option for a 3rd line center/winger in a couple of years, but he'll need to gain 15 pounds or so with his physicality.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol Barbsahev crushes that guy and then does pretty well in the fight. His jersey is over his head and he's still swinging away. :laugh: He did pretty well for himself. He should fit in perfectly on our team.

I like that Barbashev and Fabbri both look like feisty competitors.

Not to get ahead of myself but damn, we're gonna have a lot of leaders on this team. If we don't win a cup when Schwartz, Tarasenko, Fabbri, Barbashev, Petro, Shatty, etc., etc. are all in their primes, then we may just need to accept that the team is cursed for eternity.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Lol Barbsahev crushes that guy and then does pretty well in the fight. His jersey is over his head and he's still swinging away. :laugh: He did pretty well for himself. He should fit in perfectly on our team.

I like that Barbashev and Fabbri both look like feisty competitors.

Not to get ahead of myself but damn, we're gonna have a lot of leaders on this team. If we don't win a cup when Schwartz, Tarasenko, Fabbri, Barbashev, Petro, Shatty, etc., etc. are all in their primes, then we may just need to accept that the team is cursed for eternity.

It will be interesting to see what happens with our top 4 offensive prospects (Fabbri, Jaskin, Rattie, Barbashev). I don't think we will have all 4 of those next season. If you had to include one in a deadline trade (ostensibly to upgrade our offense for the playoffs), which do you include? I would normally say Rattie, but with the way he just keeps scoring, I'm not sure about that. Jaskin has skating issues, which can be overcome with a lot of work and skating coaches (will it be done, though)? Fabbri and Barbashev have too much potential, IMO, to include in a trade. Hopefully we can find a way to keep all 4, and with Armstrong not budging on trading Rattie the past two trade deadlines, something tells me the Blues brass wants to keep him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Barbashev being AHL eligible next year is always a big plus. I'm really curious how things will unfold.

Imo

Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko
Fabbri/Rattie - Stastny - Oshie
Steen - Backes - Jaskin
Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

Defense remains the same. Berglund is probably dealt for futures and Lindstom isn't retained.

Rattie and Barbashev in the AHL

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
His offensive numbers are going up, but what the defensive play? It's purely an offensive player or more all around ?

Missed this earlier, Schmaltz is very much a complete defenseman. He has top pairing potential, the fact he is in the college system makes it easier for us to overlook him. I really like his game, and can see bleedblue1223's Keith comparison.

Tommy Vannelli stat line - 16 games, 7 goals, 3 assists

Not seen any of Vannelli in the WHL this season. His numbers are always going to look pretty decent, but he had quite a lot of work to do on his defensive game. On the face of it +7 is nice, but doesn't mean much. 26 PIM in 16 games? :amazed: He had 34 in 60 last season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad