2014-2015 Blues Prospects

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Would imagine Fabbri and Barbashev jump into our top 5 prospects? Allen, Fabbri, Rattie, Jaskin, Barbashev? I think all of those prospects are in Tier 1. Then there's a 2nd tier with Schmaltz, Parayko, Binnington, Edmundson, Hakanpaa, and Vannelli. Then after that it's a crapshoot. Husso and Letunov would probably both be in that 3rd tier for now, just because they need to gain more experience before we can accurately rate them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We have a prospect pool again.

Too bad Gardiner is no longer our best center prospect, I really feel bad for him after today.

SweetyV

Apr 27, 2014
Was driving so missed most of the action today.

Is this one of the best drafts, in terms of potential of players drafted, in Blues history?

Fabbri and Barbashev in the first 33 picks. Two top 20, maybe even 15 talents.

Letunov, Walman, and Husso were solid picks. Husso is very intriguing.

Even the last four or five picks seem like they may have some talent.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Here is my top 10.

Fabbri - top line center - Will be interesting to see if he stays center or moves to wing

Allen - Starting Goalie

Jaskin - Top 6 forward - If he improves his skating he will be a monster to stop

Rattie - Top 6 forward - Elite scoring forward that will need time to adjust like Schwartz

Schmatlz -#2 dman - Solid puck moving dman, with good possession and passing

Parayako - Top 4 dman - With his size and learning curve could be the best dman of the bunch

Barbashev - Top 6 center - Will need to develop a little more scoring touch, but is a really solid center

Binnington - Goalie - Couple of years in the AHL will help

Letunov - 3 line power forward - Has a way to go, but time to develop, would rather see him develop in the CHL.

Vannelli - #4 puck mover - Needs to improve in the dzone of will be a viability in his own zone. Should have stayed in NCAA to develop more of a d game.

I will be higher then most on our dmen, but they have also progressed a fair amount and are further ahead then Barbashev.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
We have a prospect pool again.

Too bad Gardiner is no longer our best center prospect, I really feel bad for him after today.

I understand the Gardiner jokes (not singling you out here, just seen a handful of them the past couple days), but I think its kind of a ****** way for our fanbase to treat a prospect, for us to continue making them.

I hope he develops into an NHL player for the Blues, and I'm sure he hopes to as well. But the odds are long, and if he ever reads this board I'd feel bad if he was the butt of jokes for falling short of his dream.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I understand the Gardiner jokes (not singling you out here, just seen a handful of them the past couple days), but I think its kind of a ****** way for our fanbase to treat a prospect, for us to continue making them.

I hope he develops into an NHL player for the Blues, and I'm sure he hopes to as well. But the odds are long, and if he ever reads this board I'd feel bad if he was the butt of jokes for falling short of his dream.

Agreed. Although they are not making fun of him so much as our prospect pool. He was a 3rd round pick, so no guarantee to ever contribute. It was not his fault that the prospect pool, especially at center, was so bad that he was our only, and hence best, prospect there.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Here is my top 10.

Fabbri - top line center - Will be interesting to see if he stays center or moves to wing

Allen - Starting Goalie

Jaskin - Top 6 forward - If he improves his skating he will be a monster to stop

Rattie - Top 6 forward - Elite scoring forward that will need time to adjust like Schwartz

Schmatlz -#2 dman - Solid puck moving dman, with good possession and passing

Parayako - Top 4 dman - With his size and learning curve could be the best dman of the bunch

Barbashev - Top 6 center - Will need to develop a little more scoring touch, but is a really solid center

Binnington - Goalie - Couple of years in the AHL will help

Letunov - 3 line power forward - Has a way to go, but time to develop, would rather see him develop in the CHL.

Vannelli - #4 puck mover - Needs to improve in the dzone of will be a viability in his own zone. Should have stayed in NCAA to develop more of a d game.

I will be higher then most on our dmen, but they have also progressed a fair amount and are further ahead then Barbashev.
Seeing this list is like a breath of fresh air.

WE HAVE TALENT AGAIN!

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range

I agree, which is why I have written to him suggesting he learn to play defense. Then we'll all get bamboozled and he'll have another 4+ years grace before everyone figures it out.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Has anyone found some good draft grades or team report cards? I'd like to see what the "experts" think of our draft as we all feel it was great. I don't have a great list of hockey sites. I often check ESPN, which shows how bad my list is. I would look, but I have been swamped trying to keep pace with this board today :) Figured it would be easier to ask if you guys had seen some. Don't need a link, just a finger in the right direction. Thanks.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Has anyone found some good draft grades or team report cards? I'd like to see what the "experts" think of our draft as we all feel it was great. I don't have a great list of hockey sites. I often check ESPN, which shows how bad my list is. I would look, but I have been swamped trying to keep pace with this board today :) Figured it would be easier to ask if you guys had seen some. Don't need a link, just a finger in the right direction. Thanks.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...2014-final-report-card-for-every-team/page/26

It's bleacher report, far from experts, but they gave us an "A". The only team I saw rated higher was the Islanders, and I would have to agree that they had a fantastic draft as well. Think the Preds got high marks as well, and I wouldn't disagree with that assessment either.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...2014-final-report-card-for-every-team/page/26

It's bleacher report, far from experts, but they gave us an "A". The only team I saw rated higher was the Islanders, and I would have to agree that they had a fantastic draft as well. Think the Preds got high marks as well, and I wouldn't disagree with that assessment either.

Thanks. I actually found that right after I posted but didn't notice the Islanders grade. I disagree with the islanders being graded higher than we were. They did have a good draft. Ours > theirs though and they got the better grade. They picked 2 goalie prospects before we did, but we got the higher rated one. They did get DalColle who will be a special player, but that was based on having a good draft position. I think the move for Ho-Sang was too early. They gave up to much when they could have gotten him later. Could work out. So Barbashev + Fabbri is pretty close to a wash with Dal Colle and Ho-sang. They had the better position to work from with the 5th too. We got the better goalie and Letunov and Walman with the middle picks where we clearly won. We both got some late round value. So top and bottom are a wash while we clearly win the middle.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I have a feeling Fabbri and Barbashev will be better NHL players than Rattie and Jaskin, and that isn't a knock on Rattie and Jaskin because I am very high on both.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Blues had a outstanding draft IMO, infusing the pipeline with much needed offensive punch. I don't think after the last couple of days the 'Note will be ranked dead last in hf's rankings.

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Corey Pronman from ESPN is one of the best in the business IMO regarding scouting. He did a report card of all the teams but unfortunately it's only for ESPN Insiders which requires payment.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Here from some fantasy scouts and writers about Barbashev

16 Columbus Blue Jackets (Andrew Ward):Ivan Barbashev
Ivan Barbashev is a powerful center standing at 6'0" and 185 pounds, he has some bulking to do but that will come with age. Barbashev has excellent anticipation and natural scoring ability; he loves playing in big moment situations and absolutely excels under pressure. Barbashev is a physical two way forward but his talent offensively is held in high regard. With his quickness and a great stride he reaches top speed very efficiently. Barbashev's shot is accurate and fast, complimented by his excellent playmaking ability, Barbashev can put up points in most situations. He has a similar two-way style that is reminiscent of Ryan O'Reilly, but with a better shot and physically dominating demeanor. He is comfortable in all situations, including PK and PP. Barbashev could make the jump in a year or two after some bulking up and AHL experience. Columbus would be hard pressed to skip a top Russian talent of this caliber that could be complimentary to, or complimented by a Ryan Johansen or even help Artem Anisimov ache the next level and spread the scoring more evenly for Columbus.

wow, we got a steal

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
and same guys about Fabbri

13 Washington Capitals (Chris Pudsey):Robby Fabbri
The Capitals have two areas of concern heading into this year’s draft: defense and center. This year’s draft isn’t as deep when it comes to defense but there are plenty of quality centers available and Fabbri is easily one of the better ones to draft. A bit under-rated, probably because of his smaller stature, Fabbri owns top-end offensive skill and hockey sense. Easily one of the fastest skaters in this year’s draft, his ability to control the puck and elude defenders at top speed is his greatest asset. A goal scorer at heart, Fabbri will win over Capitals fans with his non-stop work ethic and energy. He will need to put on some muscle before making an impact with the Caps but his desire to be a winner should pave his way to the NHL quicker than most expect.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/show...4-NHL-Entry-Draft-Draft-Day-Discussion-Thread

SweetyV

Apr 27, 2014
I'll get to watch Ivan quite a bit this season whenever he comes to play in Halifax, so I'll be able to pass along a few scouting reports.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Blue elected not to qualify Ponich or Shattock. Really sucks about Ponich, but the dude just couldn't hack it, even in the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad