2014 19th Overall - Anthony DeAngelo

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Takes too many unnecessary risks. Goes for strolls around the offensive zone and stays low waaaay too long. Doesn't have a sense of urgency on the defensive zone and gets outworked in front of net. Doesn't "get" the defensive system yet and breaks down our defense. Those are the cons.

Great slapper and wrister. Best tape to tape passer in the entire organization including Hedman. Only guy in Syracuse with sufficient skating, speed, skills to carry the puck from D zone to O zone on his own ... does it pretty much at will at this level. Feisty on both ends of the ice when he wants to be...pretty physical for a guy his size. Pushes the pace of the game to another level and great vision ... he could have more points but we lack finishers.

Its 100% about the defensive end with this guy.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
So another shoddy first rnd draft pick when a guy like fabbri was on the board. I knew we should have drafted him, he was a steal at our pick. Instead they went with the project head case.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Maybe we could convert him into a forward? He can still run the point on the PP.

goalies take the longest than defenders by 2018 he will be a diamond in the rough at pretty much both ends of the ice no will not be a forward we need a guy like this just got to give him the time needed to be elite which i think he will be

he works hard and will get in over time i dont see much of a call up next year if even gets a cup of coffee the year after though he could come up and stay up at some point

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So another shoddy first rnd draft pick when a guy like fabbri was on the board. I knew we should have drafted him, he was a steal at our pick. Instead they went with the project head case.

Can't you tell me the other shoddy 1st round picks we had? Why do we need a Fabbri, he surely wouldn't be in the NHL with us and would be down our depth chart. We need a DeAngelo more, we can find an undersized wing much easier. We can convert Point to wing if we wanted that.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL

Way to quick on the judgement. Give Deangelo time to develop before we start saying "we should have gotten x there instead" All we know Deangelo could be America's version of Karlsson. With his offensive accumine that isn't exactly an impossibility (though extremely unlikely I agree ) We would feel foolish if he hit his potential and instead of him drafted another skilled winger.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Can't you tell me the other shoddy 1st round picks we had? Why do we need a Fabbri, he surely wouldn't be in the NHL with us and would be down our depth chart. We need a DeAngelo more, we can find an undersized wing much easier. We can convert Point to wing if we wanted that.

Connolly drouin now deangelo. From the sounds of it hes A winger in disguise anyway. Koekkoek and vasy better develop or its gunna look real bad.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Connolly drouin now deangelo. From the sounds of it hes A winger in disguise anyway. Koekkoek and vasy better develop or its gunna look real bad.

I don't know how to quote a post from a different thread but you posted a year ago or so Jonathan Drouin was going to be the next NHL superstar. Seems weird you'd change your opinion like that, you clearly don't look at things in hindsight at all.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

Tampa is just a big bust then eh :sarcasm: Lets hop on some other bandwagon then while we still can. #NoHockeyAllowedInTampa

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I don't know how to quote a post from a different thread but you posted a year ago or so Jonathan Drouin was going to be the next NHL superstar. Seems weird you'd change your opinion like that, you clearly don't look at things in hindsight at all.

I mean tell me did anyone see this bs with drouin coming? I still think hes gunna be a star, but not for the lightning. Its too bad. Im just frustrated with recent events. We do a hell of a job outside the first round. And trust me i hope im wrong about deangelo.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Way too early to be making a judgement one way or the other on DeAngelo.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I mean tell me did anyone see this bs with drouin coming? I still think hes gunna be a star, but not for the lightning. Its too bad. Im just frustrated with recent events. We do a hell of a job outside the first round. And trust me i hope im wrong about deangelo.

was some concern on here and facebook on drouin almost from the day he was sent back to chl and didnt get a cup of coffee so yes to answer the question some thought and even discussed using your words the BS with drouin who is proving to be less of a superstar and more of an wannabee spoiled child and brat

We do very well in the character department but was also concerns with connolly

would you rather you were working with edmonton scouts or ours? they seem to do ok and just ok with top talent and get nothing after the top picks and some have seriously underwhelmed or with our success with later guys like palat and kucherov etc..?

we also have vasy as a first rounder deangelo cam with all the bells and whistles but the talent is incredible like drouin

if you look back to the time say of the erne hit and how that was handled maybe you see something in regards to drouin on the scary side maybe the not wanting to be here comes right back to him and his attitude that we should have immediately moved erne somewhere else? I personally believe that does have something to do with this saga myself.

The beauty of the drouin situation is seeing guys over perform ie brandon point and so far even joseph this year etc.. We will always be fine if we keep finding those diamonds in the rough just like detroit does and that is more contingent on our present and future success than having every top pick become a superstar :)

The goal is to be right more often than wrong so far we are doing pretty good for me I love tony deangelo i want a guy who is a little off a little dangerous those that can channel that and use in right time and situations are brilliant players

i give a little to that on paquette hes able to get superstars like toews and kane off their games if tony d can do the same im all for it:)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

So what have DeAngelo, Koekkoek or Vasilevski done to be written off then? If you want to give Drouin the chance to prove himself then let the others do that too. Connolly wasn't even a bad pick at the time, he just didn't become the player we hoped but was picked where he was expected to, he's also still in the league producing and has a chance to continue improving.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Way too early to be making a judgement one way or the other on DeAngelo.

Nah man first year of pro is exactly when you should judge. Like that Hedman guy. Only 20 points and a -3 his first year. Total bust. Some #1 D he is... :sarcasm:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
DeAngelo is going to be an amazing player for us - no doubt about it. He'll go on to have an excellent year next year with an AHL All-Star appearance. His third year he'll get his cup of tea up with the Lightning...then he'll get the Koekkoek treatment up and down until permanent fixture on our blue line. We won't see DeAngelo up with the Lightning for at least two years - but it will be worth it.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Some of Lightning HF was down on Koekkoek his first year after we drafted him because of his shoulder injury. Most were down on him his second year post draft because of his second shoulder injury. Now look where he is. He's on the cusp of becoming a full-time NHLer and has noticeable NHL skills. Give DeAngelo a few years and he'll be in our line-up.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Some of Lightning HF was down on Koekkoek his first year after we drafted him because of his shoulder injury. Most were down on him his second year post draft because of his second shoulder injury. Now look where he is. He's on the cusp of becoming a full-time NHLer and has noticeable NHL skills. Give DeAngelo a few years and he'll be in our line-up.

But we need to give these kids NHL minutes right away otherwise their value will drop, everyone knows that if you don't make the NHL a year after being drafted you were a wasted pick.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
But we need to give these kids NHL minutes right away otherwise their value will drop, everyone knows that if you don't make the NHL a year after being drafted you were a wasted pick.

If a prospect isn't able to come in as an 18 year old and dominate NHL players, they are a bust.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
haha wow that really set you guys off on a tangent. I think I have a right to be suspect of our round 1 drafting when the only contributor since the 2010 draft has been Namesy. But go on keep acting like anyone with a different opinion than you has to be an idiot.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
haha wow that really set you guys off on a tangent. I think I have a right to be suspect of our round 1 drafting when the only contributor since the 2010 draft has been Namesy. But go on keep acting like anyone with a different opinion than you has to be an idiot.

[MOD] Connolly is an NHL player. Vladdy, Koekkoek, and Vasilevskiy are in the NHL right now on a cup contender paying their dues. Drouin is a 70+ point first line winger when he gets the chance. DeAngelo is a first year pro and by all accounts an amazing developing talent. We've pretty much hit jackpot on all our first rounders as far as NHL talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Connolly played around 140 games for us, his production this year would make him a top 9 player for us but we moved him where he's playing well on another team. Koekkoek had to overcome injury issues so was never expected to be in the NHL early, he is now and looks like he'll be a good one. Vasilevski has been our backup the last two years. Drouin was playing well and putting up points when he was playing. DeAngelo is less then two years removed from being drafted.

Everyone we drafted has made the NHL except DeAngelo. Connolly and Drouin are top 9 forwards, Koekkoek bottom pair D and Vasilevski a backup, not sure what else you want from those players who are all still 23 or under.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Not easy for kids under 22 to make our roster. All the guys who made it, made it at 22 or 23, minus Nikita Kucherov, who was a surprise. So, when you're saying, "since 2010," all you're really saying is they're still a year or two away, same as everybody else. Koekkoek's coming up, Vasy looks fine. Everything looks on track, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad