2014-15 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Kane, Buff and Ladd don't go for nothing.

If Ehlers can replace a top-6 forward (let's say Buff), then you trade Buff for strong assets. Similarly, if Petan can replace a top-9 player, you trade that player for assets.

Good luck with that. Once the trade deadline passes in 5 months or so Ladd & Buff effectively become rental players. We might get some picks, but those pieces won't be playing for the Jets until 2018 at the earliest.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We're not making any progress if Ehlers & Petan are coming in at the expense of a Kane, Byfuglien, or Ladd (who may walk for nothing or be traded at reduced value for assets that are years away from contributing). Textbook treadmill situation.

Addressing your edit.... you can also trade very good prospects if you don't have room, if you think your vets are good enough. This isn't a "textbook treadmill", this is exactly how good organizations are built. You draft and develop young players and then you trade vets for more assets and improve your team. Or, if your vets are good enough and young enough, you trade your top prospects for a top young player. This is how most good organizations are developed.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good luck with that. Once the trade deadline passes in 5 or so months Ladd & Buff are essentially rental players. We might still get some picks, but those pieces won't be playing for the Jets until 2018 at the earliest.

I have no idea what you are advocating. It seems that you are upset that the Jets have too many young prospects ready to take over from the vets, but you don't want to trade the vets for future assets. I guess it all depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want short-term success and think you can do that around the current core, then I suppose you could trade your prospects and picks for top players and try to go for it in the next 2-3 years. Or, the Jets could move the vets to add top prospects and extra top picks so that they are accumulating more and better young players than other teams so they will be a top team in 3-4 years. I think the Jets are going for the second plan. Yes, it will take a bit of time, and perhaps they could have jettisoned some vets earlier if they could have found good deals, but it's not too late for that strategy, especially now that they see that they have some very good prospects.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Good luck with that. Once the trade deadline passes in 5 months or so Ladd & Buff effectively become rental players. We might get some picks, but those pieces won't be playing for the Jets until 2018 at the earliest.

You do know that both Ladd and Buff have two seasons left and neither is even eligible to be offered a contract extension until 9 months from now, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad